General Police Abuse Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Re: General Police Abuse Thread

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Borgholio wrote:No, that cop-watcher definitely deserved that. Standing there, not interfering at all. How dare she?
Even if she was interfering that was totally improper. If that officer felt she was interfering then he should have placed her under arrest and then seized her phone as evidence.

Justice would be seeing him charged with assault, criminal mischief, and destruction of evidence.

Here's an example of a proper arrest under similar circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxrB6CfBJHA
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Flagg wrote:
Would it be more or less distasteful than running to the defense of law enforcement agencies after virtually every police shooting of an unarmed (usually but not always) black and/ or mentally ill person?
Let the exaggerations begin. Do you tire of this? :roll:
That said, I don't believe race or racism on the part of the individual who is a member of this forum I'm describing plays even the tiniest smidgen of a part in what I believe to be kneejerk defense due to |BLUE WALL-ISM| as opposed to race because I do not believe for a second that this person is in any way shape or form a racist.

And then using the fictions findings of whichever somehow personally connected to a high ranking member of the department or DA's office (as if they're even separate entities in most places these days) "Independent Investigation" that completely exonerates the officer(s) involved! :wanker:
Here's what I think. This is yet another post that is completely devoid of content. When will you start contributing?
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

SCOTUS rules that cops cannot hold you during a traffic stop while waiting for drug sniffing dogs to show up.
It’s unconstitutional for police to hold suspects during traffic stops without probable cause, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday.

The 6-3 decision means that police are no longer allowed to force a stopped driver to wait for a drug-sniffing dog to arrive to inspect the vehicle. Extending the stop by even a few minutes violates the Constitution's shield against unreasonable seizures, the court ruled.

"Police may not prolong detention of a car and driver beyond the time reasonably required to address the traffic violation," Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said on behalf of the court.

The case, Rodriguez v. United States, arrived at the high court after a man was pulled over in Nebraska and issued a citation for erratic driving. A police officer forced him to wait “seven or eight minutes” until another officer walked a drug dog around his vehicle.

Rodriguez was found to be in possession of methamphetamine; however, the Supreme Court ruled that the search of his car was illegal, therefore the evidence gathered against him is inadmissible at trial.

Police officers could, feasibly, continue using drug-sniffing dogs during traffic stops, provided the search doesn’t take any additional time. The court noted that an officer who "completes all traffic-related tasks expeditiously” doesn’t earn extra time to pursue an “unrelated criminal investigation.”

“The critical question is not whether the dog sniff occurs before or after the officer issues a ticket,” the court added, “but whether conducting the sniff adds time to the stop.”
Well, I guess that's one less problem that Jay-Z has.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The court noted that an officer who "completes all traffic-related tasks expeditiously” doesn’t earn extra time to pursue an “unrelated criminal investigation.”
So how much do you want to bet they find ways to stall for time, such as writing a ticket slowly, asking more questions than are necessary, or pretending to look up information on their in-car terminal while they wait for the drug dog?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Borgholio wrote:
The court noted that an officer who "completes all traffic-related tasks expeditiously” doesn’t earn extra time to pursue an “unrelated criminal investigation.”
So how much do you want to bet they find ways to stall for time, such as writing a ticket slowly, asking more questions than are necessary, or pretending to look up information on their in-car terminal while they wait for the drug dog?
Should be easy to work out if they cared to: No reason to call a K-9 unit? You can't call them, don't care if they're hanging out two blocks away. If you happen to be pulled over by a K-9 unit while is possession of narcotics.... sucks for you.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

The longest I ever had to wait for a drug dog was about 90 minutes. Fucking asshole knew inside two minutes from my demeanor that I didn't have drugs in the car, he just wanted to cost me the rest of my work night instead of chasing after actual crime because he was a massive prick who resented that I know my rights and couldn't get away with doing anything else to me.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Borgholio wrote:
They covered that as well in the decision. You get the amount of time that the stop could be reasonably expected to take. You can't extend the stop for the K-9 to show up by stalling.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Would it be more or less distasteful than running to the defense of law enforcement agencies after virtually every police shooting of an unarmed (usually but not always) black and/ or mentally ill person?
That said, I don't believe race or racism on the part of the individual who is a member of this forum I'm describing plays even the tiniest smidgen of a part in what I believe to be kneejerk defense due to |BLUE WALL-ISM| as opposed to race because I do not believe for a second that this person is in any way shape or form a racist.

And then using the fictions findings of whichever somehow personally connected to a high ranking member of the department or DA's office (as if they're even separate entities in most places these days) "Independent Investigation" that completely exonerates the officer(s) involved! :wanker:
Here's what I think. This is yet another post that is completely devoid of content. When will you start contributing?
Frankly, the only one not contributing in this thread is the broken record Kamakazie Sith. Since all he does is repeat the various police department's justifications found in the various news articles as if they were unimpeachable gospel when it turns out 99% of what they were saying is fabricated and the other 1% is the time and date of the press release or press conference.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Flagg wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Frankly, the only one not contributing in this thread is the broken record Kamakazie Sith. Since all he does is repeat the various police department's justifications found in the various news articles as if they were unimpeachable gospel when it turns out 99% of what they were saying is fabricated and the other 1% is the time and date of the press release or press conference.
Your vague posting is cowardly. If you have a particular issue with something I've raised then specifically cite it so it can be dealt with. Otherwise, shut the fuck up.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Kamakazie Sith wrote: Your vague posting is cowardly. If you have a particular issue with something I've raised then specifically cite it so it can be dealt with. Otherwise, shut the fuck up.
I'm not trying to be vague, I'm trying to respect you as a person and not fire the insult canons, but rather try to explain to you how your actions after police killings are viewed by many people. and I've made it clear. Your pattern of behavior is exactly the same any time there is a controversial police shooting: As long as it's murky enough for both sides to have a story, you side with the cops every fucking time, never fails. It's a tired old act.

I personally wouldn't care about the blue wall attitude you bring and represent, if you actually added information on police procedure and such. But you don't do that anymore, you just post and argue from the fucking talking points and position of the local Cops, DA's Office (like there's a difference) and "pro-cop who shot an unarmed person (usually black) media snots." I mean it doesn't seem like you're coming from a position where you've looked at the facts and thus have decided in the cops favor, it seems more like you automatically take the cops side (unless there is direct video with everything in clear context, then you say how stupid those cops acted) and then pick the facts you want from there.

Do I do the same thing when it comes to cop shootings? Yes, I do to the extent that I look at the evidence from an angle of "God damn it! Did they do it again?!", but I own it. You can be pretty fucking sure that if someone is injured or killed by a cop under questionable circumstances I'm going to put all of the responsibility on the supposedly well trained force of men and women who will still, with all the training and practice, either through malice, racism, or just an incident of pure fear fuckup, shoot an unarmed black person who had no record and immediately try to help cover it up for their friend and coworker so they don't go to jail.
The difference mainly being in that if it turns out the dead guy was high on meth and PCP, and was throwing 4 cops around like ragdolls, TASERS weren't working to put the guy on the ground, and he's kicking their asses and goes for one of their guns, and that's it for me, clean shooting.

But if more and more evidence is lost or displaced, the autopsy results aren't being made public (if they even did an autopsy before cremating them), and there's just odd things going on, then yeah, I (and a very large number of people) will be very suspicious and want a lot more answers that still never come.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Flagg wrote: I'm not trying to be vague, I'm trying to respect you as a person and not fire the insult canons, but rather try to explain to you how your actions after police killings are viewed by many people. and I've made it clear. Your pattern of behavior is exactly the same any time there is a controversial police shooting: As long as it's murky enough for both sides to have a story, you side with the cops every fucking time, never fails. It's a tired old act.
First. Thank you for the thought out and constructive post. I will attempt to reflect on this in future discussions.

My only issue with this paragraph is I do not side with police every fucking time. I could give you most of the time because like everyone else I have my biases, however, it is certainly not every fucking time.
I personally wouldn't care about the blue wall attitude you bring and represent, if you actually added information on police procedure and such. But you don't do that anymore, you just post and argue from the fucking talking points and position of the local Cops, DA's Office (like there's a difference) and "pro-cop who shot an unarmed person (usually black) media snots." I mean it doesn't seem like you're coming from a position where you've looked at the facts and thus have decided in the cops favor, it seems more like you automatically take the cops side (unless there is direct video with everything in clear context, then you say how stupid those cops acted) and then pick the facts you want from there.
This is good example of you being vague when I say you're being vague. Maybe I have done these things but the time and place to call me out on them is in those threads and not at the tail end of a discussion on civil lawsuits. Though I really would appreciate being called out on those things. We all need to be kept in check. That's simply what I'm trying to do when I post in these threads is keep others kept in check but perhaps I have gotten carried away and lost even more of my objectivity. So, call me out next time.
Do I do the same thing when it comes to cop shootings? Yes, I do to the extent that I look at the evidence from an angle of "God damn it! Did they do it again?!", but I own it. You can be pretty fucking sure that if someone is injured or killed by a cop under questionable circumstances I'm going to put all of the responsibility on the supposedly well trained force of men and women who will still, with all the training and practice, either through malice, racism, or just an incident of pure fear fuckup, shoot an unarmed black person who had no record and immediately try to help cover it up for their friend and coworker so they don't go to jail.
The difference mainly being in that if it turns out the dead guy was high on meth and PCP, and was throwing 4 cops around like ragdolls, TASERS weren't working to put the guy on the ground, and he's kicking their asses and goes for one of their guns, and that's it for me, clean shooting.
Have I not done the same thing when the reverse is true? Because if not I would really like to have my attention drawn to that particular thread so I can concede the discussion.
But if more and more evidence is lost or displaced, the autopsy results aren't being made public (if they even did an autopsy before cremating them), and there's just odd things going on, then yeah, I (and a very large number of people) will be very suspicious and want a lot more answers that still never come.
That's more than fair and really that is the right attitude to have. Police reports, autopsy, video, etc should all be made available to the public. My only question is if the journalists are even asking for this information.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I think the real problem, and it seems to be in every goddamned facet of American life now, is the cracks forming between groups, individuals, and even inside the groups themselves as things become more and more polarized and everyone is expected to pick a side. The sad part is, I used to identify more with what the police did 5,10, even 15 years ago because aside from certain police or sheriffs departments, (when I lived in Florida it was the Orange County Sheriffs who'd kill someone, lie blatantly about them being armed while waving around a criminal record, then slowly walk that back until it turns out he was unarmed, running away, and had a single hand holding his pants up while he ran because he was a stupid thug "gangsta", but he wasn't a stupid enough thug "gangsta" to ride around armed while on probation for possession and unpaid traffic tickets (which can make a mighty thin "record" look awful big and nasty if there are a ton of citations and ignored summonses) and then nothing would happen to the officers who shot the unarmed guy in the back because really the media didn't care any more by the time all the facts were presented and social media was barely heard of).

Now you have tons of social media, cellphone camera videos, and people (not Al Sharpton, because if you have inserted yourself for publicities' sake in the middle of every story of dead young adults or children killed justly or unjustly by the police, you're not a "person", you're a leech piece of shit who thankfully will likely not have a regular TV show once Obama serves out his term to further drum up and fan the flames of controversy) that get angry and organize to show that anger. So I don't know if there are simply more dirty shootings of black people due to panic of undertrained rookies, good old fashioned American racism, and/ or just a dirty cop, or if they are just getting attention they normally wouldn't get. And I know my generation well enough and the attitudes of wannabe's when I worked security well enough to not like the fact that a lot of them are going to be cops. In some cases (from wannabes who went through the academy that I knew as a guard) the prospect is fucking terrifying.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

Even Park Rangers are getting in on the game.

MAN TASERED IN NATIONAL PARK FOR FLYING TOY DRONE
RANGER DANGER
By Kelsey D. Atherton

How, exactly, are we going to protect the environment from robots? Last June, the National Park Service banned all drones from national parks. Shortly thereafter, a tourist crashed a quadcopter into Yellowstone’s prismatic springs. Now, it seems the precautions are escalating. This past weekend, a park ranger at Hawaii’s Volcanoes National Park decided the best way to stop prohibited drone use was to taser the drone's pilot.

We know a little of what happened before the confrontation. The pilot, Travis Sanders, and his family traveled to the Halema'uma'u Crater to see the rising lava lake, joining a crowd of about 100 others. A ranger moved towards Sanders, shouting at him to stop operating a micro quadcopter drone. A spokesperson for the park said that the suspect tried to flee (Sanders, perhaps unable to identify that the ranger was a ranger, tried to move away from the situation) and the ranger used his taser to prevent this from happening. The moments immediately after the confrontation were captured on video and in pictures by some of the bystanders.

As Jason Koebler notes at Motherboard, the response was a major overreaction to a law that very few people know about:
The National Parks Service has done a dismal job of actually informing people about its drone ban, which it implemented last summer after a few drone crashes at national parks. Few parks actually have signage prohibiting drones, and flying a toy seems more like a ticketable offense, not a tasable one.
This isn’t the first time a park ranger has tasered someone as overzealous enforcement of a little-known ban. In 2012, a man was walking two of his dogs in a national park that had recently been deemed "leash only" for pets. One dog was off its leash, and a ranger, under orders to provide warnings about the ban, used her taser on the man. In 2014, as a conclusion to the resulting lawsuit, the man was awarded $50,000 for damages done by the National Park Service.

There’s a place for tasers in law enforcement, such as this 2009 instance where rangers responding to a man threatening another man with a sword were able to disarm the threatener without using their rifles. Confronting drone pilots or dog walkers to inform them of rules they may not have known they were violating is hardly the way to ensure safe parks or safe park goers.
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Your title and the narrative the author is attempting to push is inaccurate. I don't understand why authors do things like this. It is a perfectly valid reason to be concerned and against the use of a taser on a fleeing non-violent subject. I am also against that. What I don't get is why the author moves from that to "man tasered for flying toy drone". He wasn't tasered for that. He was tasered because he allegedly tried to flee from a law enforcement officer.

Just a nitpick though. It seems like the use of a taser to stop a fleeing suspect is allowed by their policy but if memory serves there is court precedence that is it excessive force when used against non-violent fleeing suspects.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

A park ranger. So the real story is that a toy police officer fired a taser at a man flying a toy drone.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

White Haven wrote:A park ranger. So the real story is that a toy police officer fired a taser at a man flying a toy drone.
No. A toy police officer fired a taser at a man running away from the toy police officer.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Shame it wasn't a toy taser. Then there would at least have been symmetry.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

If the goal is to prevent drones from crashing in the park, isn't disabling the pilot of a drone that is currently over the park a little counter-productive?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

So it looks like Michael Brown didn't have his hands up when he was shot by the police. But don't think that police officers don't attack people with their hands up, they totally do:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=34450351
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Are cops allowed to stab people resisting arrest? Is it somehow different if you allow a dog to do it? I'd honestly take the knife to the ass since dogs bites are much more prone to infection than a well kept knife. Oh also, the knife generally can't be used to rip off chunks of my anatomy and/or leave ragged scars. I just find it sadly hilarious that "let dog chew on his ass" is a valid response to a bleeding man struggling while cops pin him to the floor. And are they seriously taking pictures of a man's bare ass with cell phone cameras instead of offering aid? I guess it's for their own records/safety. Whole new meaning to "cover your own ass."

I feel sorry for the dog. The cops can go rot.

Also funny: why is it if my dog attacks someone in self-defense, I generally have to fight to keep it from being put down. But order a police dog to maul someone and nothing happens. So, even dog cops are above those poor civilian dogs.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Under Utah Law K9 can be used against non-compliant subjects wanted for violent felonies. Now, I question the allegation that setting another persons trash on fire meets the elements for arson but if this fire he set caused damage to another persons property then under Utah law it is arson and arson is considered a violent felony which means his failure to comply justified the use of the K9 under Utah law. The K9 officer wanted him to walk towards them so he would be away from the areas that the officer could not see such as behind the couch, etc.

I do think that K9 and handler should be removed from active service. Biting the face should be a serious red flag.
TheFeniX wrote:Are cops allowed to stab people resisting arrest? Is it somehow different if you allow a dog to do it? I'd honestly take the knife to the ass since dogs bites are much more prone to infection than a well kept knife.
No, we're not allowed to stab someone who is just resisting arrest. Under Utah law the use of a K9 is considered different but I agree with your point. See my first paragraph in this reply.
Oh also, the knife generally can't be used to rip off chunks of my anatomy and/or leave ragged scars. I just find it sadly hilarious that "let dog chew on his ass" is a valid response to a bleeding man struggling while cops pin him to the floor.
Agreed. Allowing the dog to bite him again was absolutely excessive because he was under physical control of multiple officers.
And are they seriously taking pictures of a man's bare ass with cell phone cameras instead of offering aid? I guess it's for their own records/safety. Whole new meaning to "cover your own ass."
It's policy that all injuries inflicted by the actions of police be documented via photograph.
Also funny: why is it if my dog attacks someone in self-defense, I generally have to fight to keep it from being put down. But order a police dog to maul someone and nothing happens. So, even dog cops are above those poor civilian dogs.
Are you allowed to serve a warrant? The answer to that question is the same here. Yes, cops are allowed to do what you are not allowed. It specifically says so under law.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:Under Utah Law K9 can be used against non-compliant subjects wanted for violent felonies. Now, I question the allegation that setting another persons trash on fire meets the elements for arson but if this fire he set caused damage to another persons property then under Utah law it is arson and arson is considered a violent felony which means his failure to comply justified the use of the K9 under Utah law. The K9 officer wanted him to walk towards them so he would be away from the areas that the officer could not see such as behind the couch, etc.
So, non-compliance by sitting still with your hands up means you risk getting mangled by a police dog. Or you know, due to either poor training or bad training, you get your throat ripped out. And since a dog can't reasonably held accountable for his actions, I don't view what happened as any different if a cop had walked up and stabbed him in the face.

Nice to know Utah cops gauge how much they can abuse suspects based on the crimes they may or may not have committed vs appraising the situation and using reasonable force.
I do think that K9 and handler should be removed from active service. Biting the face should be a serious red flag.
I think more than that should apply.
No, we're not allowed to stab someone who is just resisting arrest.
Then siccing a dog on someone who is non-violently non-compliant should be felony assault and battery. Add in charges for recklessness since one would fucking hope police dogs aren't trained to attack the face and head on suspects.
It's policy that all injuries inflicted by the actions of police be documented via photograph.
I consider it failure to render aid to someone you have in custody, policy or not. I can't see a single piece of evidence police did anything to staunch the bleeding and the suspect can't do it being handcuffed and all. Shit like this and situations like where that one reject shot a black guy for the crime of "moving too fast as a black man" and left him handcuffed to bleed out while he waited for help are why I'd rather take my chances with criminals than deal with police.

Once again, we're back to policy which almost always translates into "If we follow this, people might die, but we can always fall back on it so only the taxpayer get screwed."

Every time I hear a police officer mutter the word "policy" I physically roll my eyes. It's become a joke at this point.
Are you allowed to serve a warrant? The answer to that question is the same here. Yes, cops are allowed to do what you are not allowed. It specifically says so under law.
Correct, I'm just allowed to live in a world where any form of non-compliance means I have 15 seconds before police try and kill me via proxy. The best part is judging from the "there's a fire, but it's in a barrel" means the only real crime committed was "being too scared to stand up when ordered."
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

TheFeniX wrote:So, non-compliance by sitting still with your hands up means you risk getting mangled by a police dog. Or you know, due to either poor training or bad training, you get your throat ripped out. And since a dog can't reasonably held accountable for his actions, I don't view what happened as any different if a cop had walked up and stabbed him in the face.

Nice to know Utah cops gauge how much they can abuse suspects based on the crimes they may or may not have committed vs appraising the situation and using reasonable force.
The severity of the crime at issue is part of the three part test that determines what force police can use. The other two are as followed;
2) Whether the suspect poses an immediate threat to the safety of law enforcement or others; - An unsearched and unrestrained felon is considered to be a threat. This is why police points guns at people in stolen vehicles. An unrestrained violent felon is considered an immediate threat.
3) Whether the suspect is actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight. - this where they failed and the use of the K9 is unreasonable.
I think more than that should apply.
Probably.
Then siccing a dog on someone who is non-violently non-compliant should be felony assault and battery. Add in charges for recklessness since one would fucking hope police dogs aren't trained to attack the face and head on suspects.
Nitpick. Stabbing someone is considered deadly force. Police service dogs are not considered deadly force. There is significant court precedence behind this decision.
I consider it failure to render aid to someone you have in custody, policy or not. I can't see a single piece of evidence police did anything to staunch the bleeding and the suspect can't do it being handcuffed and all.
If they failed to call for EMS and/or failed to stop a serious bleeding injury then I would agree with you. In addition calling for EMS satisfies this requirement as long as they aren't in danger of bleeding out. Also, police in areas with good EMS coverage generally aren't medically trained.
Shit like this and situations like where that one reject shot a black guy for the crime of "moving too fast as a black man" and left him handcuffed to bleed out while he waited for help are why I'd rather take my chances with criminals than deal with police.
Because a criminal will tend to your wounds after they inflict them on you. I understand not trusting the police. That's fine but don't go from reasonable to full retard. :roll:
Once again, we're back to policy which almost always translates into "If we follow this, people might die, but we can always fall back on it so only the taxpayer get screwed."
Would you prefer they didn't photograph injuries they inflict?
Every time I hear a police officer mutter the word "policy" I physically roll my eyes. It's become a joke at this point.
Right, because photographing injuries is such a bullshit policy.
Correct, I'm just allowed to live in a world where any form of non-compliance means I have 15 seconds before police try and kill me via proxy. The best part is judging from the "there's a fire, but it's in a barrel" means the only real crime committed was "being too scared to stand up when ordered."
According to the video it was five seconds from when he complied with the order to get both hands up. Though you could see his hands were resting above his head. I also think burning anothers trash doesn't qualify as arson. However, there was the issue of him threatening to stab people but both of those incidents are questionable and are unlikely to be proven unless there is video or third party witnesses that we don't know about.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

A Residence With Locking Doors And A Working Toilet Is All That's Needed To Justify A No-Knock Warrant

No-knock warrants have become the strategy of first choice for many police departments. Most of these target those suspected of drug possession or sales, rather than the truly dangerous situations they should be reserved for. The rise in no-knock warrants has resulted in an increased number of deadly altercations. Cops have been shot in self-defense by residents who thought their homes were being invaded by criminals. Innocent parties have been wounded or killed because the element of surprise police feel is so essential in preventing the destruction of evidence puts cops -- often duded up in military gear -- into a mindset that demands violent reaction to any perceived threat. In these situations, the noise and confusion turns everything into a possible threat, even the motions of frightened people who don't have time to grasp the reality -- and severity -- of the situation.

No-knock warrants are basically SWATting, with cops -- rather than 13-year-old gamers -- instigating the response. Judges should be holding any no-knock warrant request to a higher standard and demand more evidentiary justification for the extreme measure -- especially considering the heightened probability of a violent outcome. But they don't.

A Massachusetts court decision posted by the extremely essential FourthAmendment.com shows just how little it takes to obtain a no-knock warrant. The probable cause provided to obtain the no-knock warrant was ridiculous, but it wasn't challenged by the magistrate who signed off on the request. What's detailed here should raise concerns in every citizen.
The affidavit supporting the warrant contained the following representations: 1) the extensive training and experience in drug investigations, controlled purchases and arrests of the officer who made the affidavit, 2) the confidential informant's report that the apartment for which a warrant was sought was "small, confined and private," 3) the confidential informant's report that the defendant "keeps his door locked and admits only people whom he knows," 4) the fact that the defendant sold drugs to the informant only after arrangements were made by telephone, and 5) the officer's assessment that, given the retail nature of the defendant's operation and the fragile nature of the illegal drugs involved, "it would not be difficult for [the defendant] to destroy the narcotics if given the forewarning."
In other words, if you have a "private" home with working toilets and locks and you don't routinely allow complete strangers to wander around your home, you, too, could be subjected to a no-knock warrant. This description fits pretty much every person who lives in a residence anywhere. All it takes is an officer's "upon information and belief" statement and a few assertions from a confidential informant, whose otherwise unreliable narration (if, say, he/she was facing charges in court) is routinely treated as infallible by cops and courts alike.

The appeals court may have pointed out how ridiculous this warrant application is, but its statements are far removed from the time and place the application was submitted, approved and served. So, the courts still provide an avenue of recourse, but this decision does nothing to prevent cops from using the same specious assertions to obtain no-knock warrants in the future.

In fact, this decision possibly makes the situation worse. The court notes that many of the assertions made by the police in support of the no-knock application aren't solely applicable to the presumed destruction of evidence. The apartment's "small size" would supposedly make it "easier" for the suspect to destroy evidence during the serving of a normal warrant. The court points out that the limited confines would also make it easier for officers to find and apprehend the suspect before such destruction could take place. It also points out that a locked door isn't just a thing people use to keep cops out. They also use it to keep other criminals out, like burglars.

But in the end, the evidence obtained by the no-knock search remained unsuppressed. Even though the warrant application made a bunch of broad assertions that could conceivably cover every private residence, the defects in the paperwork couldn't overcome the court's willingness to cut the PD some slack.
Applying these principles to the present circumstances, we conclude that suppression is not warranted. The police did not act unilaterally; they properly applied for a warrant, requested a no-knock provision and submitted an affidavit setting forth all the available and relevant facts known to them. While we conclude as a matter of law that they did not ultimately provide sufficient basis for the issuance of the warrant in that form, the police did not act in bad faith, and the defendant makes no such claim. Having obtained the warrant, they observed its strictures.
The "good faith exception" triumphs again. Police officers don't need to know if the law they're trying to enforce is even on the books, nor do they have to provide actual probable cause to obtain a warrant. They just have to "reasonably" believe they're in the right, and wait for a court to back up their beliefs. Faith-based policing means every citizen needs to follow the letter and spirit of wholly imaginary laws, and subject themselves to whatever powers law enforcement officers "reasonably believe" they have.
This decision changes nothing. In fact, it makes things worse for Massachusetts residents. Cops can still obtain warrants using almost nothing in the way of probable cause, and when challenged in court, rely on judges to uphold the belief that officers always "try their best" --- even when it appears they barely tried at all.
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150 ... rant.shtml
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

This High School Has Had 134 Arrests Just This School Year

There have been 134 arrests at a high school in Tennessee, since the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year. At least 120 involved juveniles.

Police data on Maplewood High School in Nashville, shows that 50 juveniles have been handcuffed and escorted away from school grounds since August 5. Likewise, 70 other juveniles have been issued citations. According to Joe Bass, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, citations are considered arrests, and don’t always result in juveniles going to court or detention centers.

In response to the data, Chief Support Services Officer Tony Majors said, “I don’t see those numbers as being a direct indication that the schools are out of control or there is an excessive amount of violence in any of our buildings. That is one data source, an important data source, and one we recognize that we need to improve upon, but all of our schools are improving across the board. We will not sacrifice school safety, but we will also find a way to meet the needs of our students.”

ThinkProgress was informed by the Metro Nashville Police Department that its records do not break down the reasons for issuing citations. Two police officers, or School Resource Officers (SROs) are stationed at Maplewood High School.

Despite a dearth of information on the types of crimes juveniles were arrested for, the state’s Department of Education found that African Americans are disproportionately subjected to disciplinary action at Maplewood. In 2012, there were 466 suspensions and 29 expulsions, and black students accounted for 370 and 21 of the punitive measures, respectively. The data matches up with national trends of disciplining black students at much higher rates than their counterparts. One in three black males in high school or middle school is suspended — often for minor infractions.
Research shows that removing students from school and introducing them to the criminal justice system makes them more likely to perform poorly and engage in delinquent behavior in the future.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/0 ... hool-year/

This is part of the "school-to-prison pipeline":
WHAT IS THE SCHOOL-TO-PRISON PIPELINE?

The “school-to-prison pipeline” refers to the policies and practices that push our nation’s schoolchildren, especially our most at-risk children, out of classrooms and into the juvenile and criminal justice systems. This pipeline reflects the prioritization of incarceration over education. For a growing number of students, the path to incarceration includes the “stops” below. (You can also download this information as a PDF.)
Failing Public Schools

For most students, the pipeline begins with inadequate resources in public schools. Overcrowded classrooms, a lack of quali­fied teachers, and insufficient funding for “extras” such as counselors, special edu­cation services, and even textbooks, lock students into second-rate educational envi­ronments. This failure to meet educational needs increases disengagement and dropouts, increasing the risk of later court­involvement. (1) Even worse, schools may actually encourage dropouts in response to pressures from test-based accountability regimes such as the No Child Left Behind Act, which create incentives to push out low-performing students to boost overall test scores.(2)
Zero-Tolerance and Other School Discipline

Lacking resources, facing incentives to push out low-performing students, and responding to a handful of highly-publicized school shootings, schools have embraced zero-tolerance policies that automatically impose severe punishment regardless of circumstances. Under these policies, students have been expelled for bringing nail clippers or scissors to school. Rates of suspension have increased dramatically in recent years—from 1.7 million in 1974 to 3.1 million in 2000 (3)—and have been most dramatic for children of color.
Overly harsh disciplinary policies push students down the pipeline and into the juvenile justice system. Suspended and expelled children are often left unsupervised and without constructive activities; they also can easily fall behind in their coursework, leading to a greater likelihood of disengagement and drop-outs. All of these factors increase the likelihood of court involvement. (4)
As harsh penalties for minor misbehavior become more pervasive, schools increasingly ignore or bypass due process protections for suspensions and expulsions. The lack of due process is particularly acute for students with special needs, who are disproportionately represented in the pipeline despite the heightened protections afforded to them under law.
Policing School Hallways
Many under-resourced schools become pipeline gateways by placing increased reliance on police rather than teachers and administrators to maintain discipline. Growing numbers of districts employ school resource officers to patrol school hallways, often with little or no training in working with youth. As a result, children are far more likely to be subject to school-based arrests—the majority of which are for non-violent offenses, such as disruptive behavior—than they were a generation ago. The rise in school-based arrests, the quick¬est route from the classroom to the jailhouse, most directly exemplifies the criminalization of school children.
Disciplinary Alternative Schools

In some jurisdictions, students who have been suspended or expelled have no right to an education at all. In others, they are sent to disciplinary alternative schools.
Growing in number across the country, these shadow systems—sometimes run by private, for-profit companies—are immune from educational accountability standards (such as minimum classroom hours and curriculum requirements) and may fail to provide meaningful educational services to the students who need them the most. As a result, struggling students return to their regular schools unprepared, are permanently locked into inferior educational settings, or are funneled through alternative schools into the juvenile justice system.
Court Involvement and Juvenile Detention

Youth who become involved in the juvenile justice system are often denied procedural protections in the courts; in one state, up to 80% of court-involved children do not have lawyers.(5) Students who commit minor offenses may end up in secured detention if they violate boilerplate probation conditions prohibiting them from activities like missing school or disobeying teachers.
Students pushed along the pipeline find themselves in juvenile detention facilities, many of which provide few, if any, educational services. Students of color—who are far more likely than their white peers to be suspended, expelled, or arrested for the same kind of conduct at school (6)—and those with disabilities are particularly likely to travel down this pipeline.(7)
Though many students are propelled down the pipeline from school to jail, it is difficult for them to make the journey in reverse. Students who enter the juvenile justice system face many barriers to their re-entry into traditional schools. The vast majority of these students never graduate from high school.
https://www.aclu.org/what-school-prison-pipeline