Florida man shoots thug in self-defence

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Florida man shoots thug in self-defence

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Video

Well played Citizen! All ducks in a row:

-current CCW on his person
-display of arms + warning first
-shots fired solely in self-defence
-promptly informed authorities after discharge
-surrendered weapon and cooperated with police

The NRA should plug this as the 2nd Amendment and concealed carry working as intended. The Spoiler
Black
protagonist could only help their cause.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Re: Florida man shoots thug in self-defence

Post by Channel72 »

You had me until the spoiler reveal. Clearly he's a menace to society and needs to be immediately arrested.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Honestly this one does deserve publicity, since it's a fairly textbook example of a properly handled self-defense shooting on the part of everyone involved.

While obviously the Fort Myers police don't get any special bonuses for doing exactly what they should have done (investigate thoroughly, respond in a civilized manner, debunk lies by the friends of the aggressive 'victim' of the shooting)...

I'm still glad they handled this correctly and that no racialized bullshit on their end interfered with the process.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

The problem with this incident is that it's just that: a single incident, but one whose facts will, in the eyes of racists and the willfully blind, instantly refute structural inequality and persecution across the US. For evidence, you only have to read the comments for the linked YouTube video.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Huh. Last time a black guy did the same exact thing he was immediately arrested and got charged with first degree murder, then plead down IIRC. Progress in the herpes encrusted dick of America dripping infected goo onto Cuba? I'm hoping for the best! Of course they spent a good 4 months twiddling their thumbs waiting to decide to charge him or not.

Then again... Kamikaze Sith, Kamikaze Sith, Kamikaze Sith! Is about 3-4 months "normal" for prosecutors to wait that amount of to make a decision on charges (unless it's like a case of "shot 17 people to death before being tackled by police") in a situation like this? I'm kind of surprised given the video evidence and the fact that it's obvious one of the drunken white youths (when will these damned white on white black crime stop? 8) ) lied in saying Mr. Williams pulled the gun when he went to shake hands with him (which was likely to restrain an arm so he or one of his friends could cold-cock him.) and the generally aggressive and drunken nature of the dead guy.

I'm just going to laugh my ass off if a bunch of rednecks with NRA cards but without teeth start talking about how "You don't see us rioting! Even better if skinheads started rioting, but I think that would've already happened given the news report was posted to YouTube on May 1.

Funniest part? Mr. Fields (white guy who got shot) was unarmed when he "attacked" Mr. Williams. I think he should have been charged with 2nd degree murder at most, but voluntary homicide seems fairer in that he and his friend (assuming they were together) were outnumbered 2 to 1. By unarmed drunks.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Flagg wrote:Funniest part? Mr. Fields (white guy who got shot) was unarmed when he "attacked" Mr. Williams. I think he should have been charged with 2nd degree murder at most, but voluntary homicide seems fairer in that he and his friend (assuming they were together) were outnumbered 2 to 1. By unarmed drunks.
Why exactly should the guy be charged with anything for defending himself against some drunken moron who accosted him? White dude attacked them unprovoked and with what could have been lethal force, even fists can be lethal. He choose to provoke a fight himself, choose to attack another person, the other person shouldn't be "fair" in response. That doesn't mean they should go overboard but they certainly shouldn't be fighting fair or endangering themselves because some dumbshit decided he wanted to prove how much of a big dick alpha male he is.

Do you think they should have done the honorable thing and engaged in manly fisticuffs? Maybe allow themselves to be beat down by some racist rejects because the situation didn't warrant them drawing iron?

Dude I'm super cereal and no offense is intended but that is all kinds of stupid. Stupid to charge someone for defending themselves, stupid for possibly making innocent people get harmed because the can't legally fight back, and stupid for you putting "attacked" in quotation marks.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Flagg wrote:Huh. Last time a black guy did the same exact thing he was immediately arrested and got charged with first degree murder, then plead down IIRC...
Uh... what last time, who and when and where?
Of course they spent a good 4 months twiddling their thumbs waiting to decide to charge him or not.

Then again... Kamikaze Sith, Kamikaze Sith, Kamikaze Sith! Is about 3-4 months "normal" for prosecutors to wait that amount of to make a decision on charges (unless it's like a case of "shot 17 people to death before being tackled by police") in a situation like this? I'm kind of surprised given the video evidence and the fact that it's obvious one of the drunken white youths (when will these damned white on white black crime stop? 8) ) lied in saying Mr. Williams pulled the gun when he went to shake hands with him (which was likely to restrain an arm so he or one of his friends could cold-cock him.) and the generally aggressive and drunken nature of the dead guy.
Law enforcement procedure does tend to take a while regardless of the circumstances, unless everyone involved has a literal five minutes "it was a righteous shoot" reaction, which is very unprofessional...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Joun_Lord wrote:
Flagg wrote:Funniest part? Mr. Fields (white guy who got shot) was unarmed when he "attacked" Mr. Williams. I think he should have been charged with 2nd degree murder at most, but voluntary homicide seems fairer in that he and his friend (assuming they were together) were outnumbered 2 to 1. By unarmed drunks.
Why exactly should the guy be charged with anything for defending himself against some drunken moron who accosted him? White dude attacked them unprovoked and with what could have been lethal force, even fists can be lethal. He choose to provoke a fight himself, choose to attack another person, the other person shouldn't be "fair" in response. That doesn't mean they should go overboard but they certainly shouldn't be fighting fair or endangering themselves because some dumbshit decided he wanted to prove how much of a big dick alpha male he is.

Do you think they should have done the honorable thing and engaged in manly fisticuffs? Maybe allow themselves to be beat down by some racist rejects because the situation didn't warrant them drawing iron?

Dude I'm super cereal and no offense is intended but that is all kinds of stupid. Stupid to charge someone for defending themselves, stupid for possibly making innocent people get harmed because the can't legally fight back, and stupid for you putting "attacked" in quotation marks.
Oh damn, I did put "attacked" in quotes. Sorry, that is indeed fucked up. I was trying to think of why I did that I started writing what I had thought happened and realized that I had done it to bring attention to the word because it was clearly evident on the video that Mr. Williams was attacked twice, once by fatty black shirt and then the final charge of the dim brigade as Mr. Fields ran into 3 bullets. So I apologize if that was offensive, it's one of my lovely mind-hiccups.

But back to the debate at hand.

If he didn't have a gun, he and his friend would have been in a fight with fists, chairs, and the odd plate or for the truly daring, a fork!. My issue, and it's the same one I'd take if the races were reversed, is that the guy who was shot and killed never threw a punch. He never had a chance to. The guy that took the swing was the fatty in a black shirt, then shirtless redneck dumbass Mr. Fields charges (it looked like Mr. Williams had pulled the gun after dodging the punch) and was clearly coming at Mr. Williams. The problem I'm having is that It's unclear to me that the drunken douche even saw the gun, he just came round the corner after he saw the action between fatty black shirt and Mr. Williams and Mr. Williams fired 3 times (according to the news piece). I just wonder if Mr. Fields had the opportunity to actually see the weapon, process what it was, and do something non-aggressive before Mr. Williams begins shooting. I think I'm still on the fence, but leaning more towards it being Mr. Fields bad luck that he essentially ran into 3 bullets.

But I'm still not anywhere close to convinced that if someone throws a punch, you get to pull a gun and shoot whoever happens to be in front of you menacingly without then having an opportunity to know they are in lethal danger and react like a sane person and cease the assault, or be a typical stupid redneck who lives in a trailer in the swamp (or his truck, SUV, or van if he's on meth and will eventually die in prison or jail, depending on the trial date :lol: ) in which you put it down like the mad dog it was.

I mean all that said, he's clear legally in Florida and should be as the law seems to stand now, with no escalation of force rules in effect for civilians, which is fucking insane given what's (at least perceived, I'm not looking to start a fight) going on with cops seemingly killing everyone browner than Cheech Marin, and whiter than Wesley Snipes. I mean legally, in Florida, fatty George Zimmerman can use a shotgun for on a Kindergartener who threw a grapefruit at his fat head as long as the kid was winding up with another, it seems like.

I'm more talking morality, less legality.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Flagg wrote:Huh. Last time a black guy did the same exact thing he was immediately arrested and got charged with first degree murder, then plead down IIRC...
Uh... what last time, who and when and where?
Of course they spent a good 4 months twiddling their thumbs waiting to decide to charge him or not.

Law enforcement procedure does tend to take a while regardless of the circumstances, unless everyone involved has a literal five minutes "it was a righteous shoot" reaction, which is very unprofessional...
AddictingInfo

Site is more biased a source than I would have preferred, but news articles disappear behind fucking paywalls faster and faster...
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Flagg wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote:

Oh damn, I did put "attacked" in quotes. Sorry, that is indeed fucked up. I was trying to think of why I did that I started writing what I had thought happened and realized that I had done it to bring attention to the word because it was clearly evident on the video that Mr. Williams was attacked twice, once by fatty black shirt and then the final charge of the dim brigade as Mr. Fields ran into 3 bullets. So I apologize if that was offensive, it's one of my lovely mind-hiccups.

If he didn't have a gun, he and his friend would have been in a fight with fists, chairs, and the odd plate or for the truly daring, a fork!. My issue, and it's the same one I'd take if the races were reversed, is that the guy who was shot and killed never threw a punch. He never had a chance to. The guy that took the swing was the fatty in a black shirt, then shirtless redneck dumbass Mr. Fields charges (it looked like Mr. Williams had pulled the gun after dodging the punch) and was clearly coming at Mr. Williams. The problem I'm having is that It's unclear to me that the drunken douche even saw the gun, he just came round the corner after he saw the action between fatty black shirt and Mr. Williams and Mr. Williams fired 3 times (according to the news piece). I just wonder if Mr. Fields had the opportunity to actually see the weapon, process what it was, and do something non-aggressive before Mr. Williams begins shooting. I think I'm still on the fence, but leaning more towards it being Mr. Fields bad luck that he essentially ran into 3 bullets.

But I'm still not anywhere close to convinced that if someone throws a punch, you get to pull a gun and shoot whoever happens to be in front of you menacingly without then having an opportunity to know they are in lethal danger and react like a sane person and cease the assault, or be a typical stupid redneck who lives in a trailer in the swamp (or his truck, SUV, or van if he's on meth and will eventually die in prison or jail, depending on the trial date :lol: ) in which you put it down like the mad dog it was.

I mean all that said, he's clear legally in Florida and should be as the law seems to stand now, with no escalation of force rules in effect for civilians, which is fucking insane given what's (at least perceived, I'm not looking to start a fight) going on with cops seemingly killing everyone browner than Cheech Marin, and whiter than Wesley Snipes. I mean legally, in Florida, fatty George Zimmerman can use a shotgun for on a Kindergartener who threw a grapefruit at his fat head as long as the kid was winding up with another, it seems like.

Seriously? Escalation of force as a matter of law for civilians? #1 If he's a CCW holder, he has training. #2 He DID use escalation of force by A) Keeping his weapon under his control at all times i.e. never shaking hands and giving said rednecks a chance to tie up his shooting hand. (but cold cock him they did) B) showing the gun when attacked the first time and C) backing up as far as possible.

Now, he wasn't prepared for a fight (wearing flip flips, long hair etc) and so carried a gun instead. It is in NO way his fault redneck #2 came charging in without seeing the gun, or that Redneck #1 decided to start potentially lethal violence with a punch to the head/neck area.
This is why drunk people shouldn't start random fights.
in my mind the ONLy thing he could have done, (but was never obligated to do, either legally OR morally) is to back up further while shouting "I have a GUN! I have a GUN!" BUT being that he was A) in flip flops and B) the only place to go seems to have been the bathroom with no way out, especially when confronted by a charging muscle head who may just take his gun away from him and beat him to death..... I can see no reason NOT to shoot, especially when ALREADY hit in the face. Also, we have no idea how badly hurt he was after taking said punch to the head/neck. I may decide to shoot too is having been hit in the head. Esp. if I don't think I can take a drunken muscled up redneck charging at me....
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
gizmojumpjet
Padawan Learner

Post by gizmojumpjet »

Flagg wrote:But I'm still not anywhere close to convinced that if someone throws a punch, you get to pull a gun and shoot whoever happens to be in front of you menacingly without then having an opportunity to know they are in lethal danger and react like a sane person and cease the assault, or be a typical stupid redneck who lives in a trailer in the swamp (or his truck, SUV, or van if he's on meth and will eventually die in prison or jail, depending on the trial date :lol: ) in which you put it down like the mad dog it was.
Whenever you give people the impression they are at risk of bodily injury or death, you are in lethal danger.

People have a right to defend themselves against bodily injury or death with lethal force in most states. Punching people in the head and disparity of force (two attackers, one defender) hits both of these checkboxes. Most especially the two on one part, but people can die from being punched in the head. The victim didn't have to and shouldn't have to wait until one of the attackers was on top of him, bashing his head into the ground, to defend himself.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I can understand the question about shooting Fields. Williams is the one who hit the shooter and it looks like drawing the gun (but not shooting, which shows a measured escalation btw) ended the confrontation. We will never know what Fields saw from outside the dinner, he just saw a fight break out and probably assumed the shooter started it. While its not surprising he came to his friends aide a smarter move would have been to figure out who started it and what the current situation was before bum rushing in. From the looks of it, however, I don't think Fields rushed a dude he thought had a gun, but rather a dude he thought his buddy was in a fist fight with.

However, from the shooter's perspective its not his responsibility to read Fields mind. From his perspective these two were a pair, one having been berating him previously and the other just having sucker punched him in the face. He pulled his gun and showed restraint in order to stop the first guys attack and only used deadly force when closed by the second. I simply can't fault him just because Fields MIGHT not have realized the level of escalation that had already happened. Because Fields might have seen that gun through the window and was rushing him specifically because of that, and someone rushing a person with a gun requires some dire conclusions regarding their intent. You can't let someone disarm you once the gun is in play if you had a legitimate reason to pull in in the first place (which the shooter did in my opinion).
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Flagg wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote:

No worries about the fudge-up.

The problem with shooter dude trying to deescalate the situation is there was no real time. Redneck rampage guy didn't give him time. He was literally coming right for him. After black shirt guy attacked him. Yes shirtless guy had no real way of knowing his friend was the attacker considering he was outside but he ran straight in in full attack mode rather then like a rational human being and came in to see what the commotion was. The two drunken full dummies were looking for a fight, there was no calming the situation. Gun guy never had the chance to tell him to fuck off, gun beats fists and if you continue on the path you are on you are going to die a stupid death while not wearing a shirt.

I am all for deescalating a situation.........so long as it doesn't put the potential victim in danger. If some wannabe gorilla is standing there puffing out his chest and looking ready to swing there is no reason to blow him away with your glawk. If someone is actually attacking you thats a different story.

The only thing that is ambiguous about this incident is shirtless not being inside when his friend decided that the reasonable thing to do for someone not shaking your hand is to punch them but again shirtless gotta go fast into the establishment like an NFL running back after his wife. He choose to attack gun guy.

Now if gun dude had shot one of the wonder tards other friends just standing around well outside the action, that would be worthy of being charged. You defend yourself from threats, not anyone who happens to be in your gun sights.

I'm not sure what the cops shooting every fucking body over bullshit (white people get killed too even if not at the rates minorities do, just off the top of my head I can think of the white kid who was shot while menacingly holding a wii mote in his house and the white girl shot in the police station while menacingly holding jack and shit though the police thought she was armed) beyond making it more likely for someone to try to handle a situation themselves rather then call the cops and probably get shot for being black, for being armed, for being a veteran, for being there, or for calling the cops.
Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

gizmojumpjet wrote:
Flagg wrote:But I'm still not anywhere close to convinced that if someone throws a punch, you get to pull a gun and shoot whoever happens to be in front of you menacingly without then having an opportunity to know they are in lethal danger and react like a sane person and cease the assault, or be a typical stupid redneck who lives in a trailer in the swamp (or his truck, SUV, or van if he's on meth and will eventually die in prison or jail, depending on the trial date :lol: ) in which you put it down like the mad dog it was.
Whenever you give people the impression they are at risk of bodily injury or death, you are in lethal danger.

People have a right to defend themselves against bodily injury or death with lethal force in most states. Punching people in the head and disparity of force (two attackers, one defender) hits both of these checkboxes. Most especially the two on one part, but people can die from being punched in the head. The victim didn't have to and shouldn't have to wait until one of the attackers was on top of him, bashing his head into the ground, to defend himself.
My understanding is that most jurisdictions require several check boxes before the use of deadly force is considered legal. From general conversations with lawyer friends and my own perusing of Google and a good article from New Criminal Law Review: 1) someone is threatening you with harm, 2) that harm would be of a particular level of gravity, 3) the use of force would prevent that harm, 4) the level of responsive force expected to be employed is of a similar gravity,5) if that level of force is not used the harm would be immediate, and 6) no nonviolent or less forceful alternatives are available. The problem highlighted in the article is one of "reasonable beliefs" How can a person cognitively form "reasonable beliefs" in a manner of seconds that would hit most of the above?

Thinking out loud, another thing I struggle with is if the shooter would have been a peace officer would we (society) been as forgiving? Why do we expect a peace officer to have better control of the situation (taser, pepper spray, fisticuffs) but give a regular citizen a pass in the same scenario?

I am not arguing that you are wrong, I honestly struggle to harmonize the laws as they are with real world implications. As they say, "Good Intentions..."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The "reasonable person" or "reasonable belief" standard is a technical legal term that doesn't quite mean what you're implying. When the law talks about a reasonable person, it means action consistent with what a hypothetical reasonable person would do in the same situation. That is, if someone of sound mind and no ill will were in the same situation with the same weapon and options, would he have done the same thing? If so, the reasonable person standard is passed. It doesn't mean you have to sit down and do a careful analysis of a perilous situation that takes so long your skull is bashed in before you can finish.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

Rogue 9 wrote:The "reasonable person" or "reasonable belief" standard is a technical legal term that doesn't quite mean what you're implying. When the law talks about a reasonable person, it means action consistent with what a hypothetical reasonable person would do in the same situation. That is, if someone of sound mind and no ill will were in the same situation with the same weapon and options, would he have done the same thing? If so, the reasonable person standard is passed. It doesn't mean you have to sit down and do a careful analysis of a perilous situation that takes so long your skull is bashed in before you can finish.
This sounds woefully subjective. I struggle with the idea that people only have to think how they would have reacted in the same situation and that determines if deadly force is acceptable. "I would have done the same thing!" is not objective in my opinion. That sets the bar so terribly low.

There are two seemingly good papers that I have yet to read. "Self-Defense: Reasonable Beliefs Or Reasonable Self-Control?" and "What's Reasonable?: Self-Defense And Mistake In Criminal and Tort Law."

Perhaps I am stupid, but I have yet to find an acceptable definition of "reasonable beliefs" that does not invoke completely subjective criteria. Are there any lawyers present on this board?
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

The "reasonable person" standard basically holds that you cannot morally punish someone for nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. What separates Williams from any other decent, law abiding citizen is not that he did something wrong through negligence or malice, it's that he had the misfortune of being physically attacked by two men in such quick succession that a reasonable person might assume they were working together and react accordingly when one ignores your attempt to defuse the situation.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Aether wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:The "reasonable person" or "reasonable belief" standard is a technical legal term that doesn't quite mean what you're implying. When the law talks about a reasonable person, it means action consistent with what a hypothetical reasonable person would do in the same situation. That is, if someone of sound mind and no ill will were in the same situation with the same weapon and options, would he have done the same thing? If so, the reasonable person standard is passed. It doesn't mean you have to sit down and do a careful analysis of a perilous situation that takes so long your skull is bashed in before you can finish.
This sounds woefully subjective. I struggle with the idea that people only have to think how they would have reacted in the same situation and that determines if deadly force is acceptable. "I would have done the same thing!" is not objective in my opinion. That sets the bar so terribly low.

There are two seemingly good papers that I have yet to read. "Self-Defense: Reasonable Beliefs Or Reasonable Self-Control?" and "What's Reasonable?: Self-Defense And Mistake In Criminal and Tort Law."

Perhaps I am stupid, but I have yet to find an acceptable definition of "reasonable beliefs" that does not invoke completely subjective criteria. Are there any lawyers present on this board?
It is actually an objective test, not a subjective test. And yes, frankly, it involves some subjective criteria, but it boils down to this: Would a normal, rational, everyday person fear for their life at the time of the assault? Was this fear immediate? Was there no alternative means of egress or intervention? Was the force used proportionate to the threat, and did it stop when the threat did?

It's actually not a low bar to set. The precedents and statutes involved in most jurisdictions require strong evidence in favour of the accused's circumstances warranting it. Here we had a man attacked twice, by two people, involving physical injury to his person and without the ability to run away or call the police and have them arrive in time to protect him. Objectively, any reasonable person would take action to defend themselves - and that's what he did. He used the surest means at his disposal to preserve his own life, and in doing so appears to have acted responsibly, rationally, and without exceeding proportionate force or the end of the threat.

Educate yourself before engaging further, please.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

cmdrjones wrote:
Flagg wrote:Oh damn, I did put "attacked" in quotes. Sorry, that is indeed fucked up. I was trying to think of why I did that I started writing what I had thought happened and realized that I had done it to bring attention to the word because it was clearly evident on the video that Mr. Williams was attacked twice, once by fatty black shirt and then the final charge of the dim brigade as Mr. Fields ran into 3 bullets. So I apologize if that was offensive, it's one of my lovely mind-hiccups.

Seriously? Escalation of force as a matter of law for civilians? #1 If he's a CCW holder, he has training. #2 He DID use escalation of force by A) Keeping his weapon under his control at all times i.e. never shaking hands and giving said rednecks a chance to tie up his shooting hand. (but cold cock him they did) B) showing the gun when attacked the first time and C) backing up as far as possible.

Now, he wasn't prepared for a fight (wearing flip flips, long hair etc) and so carried a gun instead. It is in NO way his fault redneck #2 came charging in without seeing the gun, or that Redneck #1 decided to start potentially lethal violence with a punch to the head/neck area.
This is why drunk people shouldn't start random fights.
in my mind the ONLy thing he could have done, (but was never obligated to do, either legally OR morally) is to back up further while shouting "I have a GUN! I have a GUN!" BUT being that he was A) in flip flops and B) the only place to go seems to have been the bathroom with no way out, especially when confronted by a charging muscle head who may just take his gun away from him and beat him to death..... I can see no reason NOT to shoot, especially when ALREADY hit in the face. Also, we have no idea how badly hurt he was after taking said punch to the head/neck. I may decide to shoot too is having been hit in the head. Esp. if I don't think I can take a drunken muscled up redneck charging at me....
Yeah, I tend to lean in the direction you're stating it's just that if I'm at Waffle House with my friends at night or 3am (it's happened more than once, Waffle House is cheap, but the food is amazing, especially if you've been partying all night and need carbs. It's where a lot of truckers make a stop and eat as well, for the carbs and because it's cheap and very fucking good :lol: ) if a guy throws a punch at me, I throw a punch back, I don't pull my knife and stab the fucker in the neck or the groin to kill him. It just seemed to me to go from 0-500mph instantly. And I'm not arguing about the current law or anything, I want to make it clear that this was a legal shooting in FL under the very murky Stand Your Ground Law in FL. Which honestly, it's why I'm never going back to FL. Well that and it's a hot, humid, religious fundamentalist hellhole. It would basically be The Middle East only for the humid part. :twisted: :wink:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Head blows, that only has a possibility of leading to seizures, coma, a or death depending on how carried away the drunk attacker gets. Forget the things he may do elsewhere if the defender gets knocked out. Only seizures, coma, or death.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Flagg wrote: if a guy throws a punch at me, I throw a punch back, I don't pull my knife and stab the fucker in the neck or the groin to kill him. It just seemed to me to go from 0-500mph instantly.
You have the choice of restraint. I have that choice as well. An 80 year old who's one fall away from breaking his hip likely doesn't have that choice. Most women in the same situation against a man do not have that choice either. The lawmakers can't write every single possible matchup into the books, it's not like well let's see, the defendant was a black male 180 man of medium build who benches 150 pounds, while his assailant was an asian male, 5'8 200lbs, so clearly it wasn't a legal beating since our stats show that asians are pound for pound 15% weaker. That's why we use the "reasonable person" standard.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Flagg wrote: Yeah, I tend to lean in the direction you're stating it's just that if I'm at Waffle House with my friends at night or 3am (it's happened more than once, Waffle House is cheap, but the food is amazing, especially if you've been partying all night and need carbs. It's where a lot of truckers make a stop and eat as well, for the carbs and because it's cheap and very fucking good :lol: ) if a guy throws a punch at me, I throw a punch back, I don't pull my knife and stab the fucker in the neck or the groin to kill him. It just seemed to me to go from 0-500mph instantly. And I'm not arguing about the current law or anything, I want to make it clear that this was a legal shooting in FL under the very murky Stand Your Ground Law in FL. Which honestly, it's why I'm never going back to FL. Well that and it's a hot, humid, religious fundamentalist hellhole. It would basically be The Middle East only for the humid part. :twisted: :wink:
If a guy takes a punch at me I'm not going to risk my health getting into a slug-fest with them, especially if it looks like they significantly out-muscle me (likely) and there's absolutely no way to just walk away. So I'd prefer to pull out every dirty trick I could think of to get them to stop with whatever's handy.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

loomer wrote:Educate yourself before engaging further, please.
Come on, man, the kid was asking a question, not making an authoritative statement. He was trying to educate himself by asking any lawyers on the board for their thoughts on the matter. No reason to be a dick about it. Your force used wasn't proportional to the threat :wink: .
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I blame my mental state. Lawschool exam time is a dangerous time!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

General Zod wrote:If a guy takes a punch at me I'm not going to risk my health getting into a slug-fest with them, especially if it looks like they significantly out-muscle me (likely) and there's absolutely no way to just walk away. So I'd prefer to pull out every dirty trick I could think of to get them to stop with whatever's handy.
This is pretty much how I feel about the situation. While I don't advocate giving someone lead poisoning over being threatening, if someone is actually actively engaging my rotund rear in violence through no fault of my own (someone being offended by my skin color, sexual orientation, religion, the fact I am there, or any of the other reasons assholes and drunks and drunken assholes tend to start fights does not count as my fault) then I am under no obligation to hold back and risk injury to myself.

I am going to defend myself and sadly that may involve hurting or killing someone. But its not like the person attacking me is all that worried about hurting me and potentially killing me.

I am also under no obligation to be fair, to be honorable, to do anything but end this immediate threat immediately.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to hurt anyone (not even Neo-Nazis, though you wouldn't see me opposed to them receiving an epic tongue lashing on how fucking stupidly retarded they are) but I don't want myself hurt more unless maybe its for a good cause. Saving lives or having snu-snu are good causes, fighting some drunken douche is not.

Its going to be a great day if ever "taser bullets" are ever made that can be loaded and fired from a more or less standard handgun. It would be nice for people to be able to defend themselves easily and effectively without taking a life.