European refugee crisis thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: European refugee crisis thread

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Broomstick wrote:Why?

It wasn't just Jews the Nazis killed - while famously 6 million Jews died in the holocaust an estimated 12 million total died in the camps... so ask yourself, who were the other 6 million?

Not to mention the whole starting WWII thing - it's not just about Jews, even if they've done a good job of beating the drum of the atrocities focused on them.

So... Germany apparently feels some obligation to act in an opposite manner as the Nazis - which I largely applaud, given how evil Nazis were/are. I don't think pushing Germany to be a martyr, giving until Germany is dragged down, will benefit the world as a whole in the long run.

Jews need less protecting these days - they've got the nation of Israel as a mostly-safe haven, and many parts of the world are more tolerant of them than in the past. On the other hand, we have a couple million refugees of other ethnicities who will be drinking water out of ditches, shitting wherever they can find a spot, and sleeping in fields tonight. They need help.

If we want to account for the mass extermination and deliberate neglect of Slavs and what not, that number would drive the number up.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes.

The Nazis caused a fuckton of problems for the world. Some are still paying for their crimes, in a variety of ways.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Why the fuck do some idots feel the need to bring the Nazis into this? Either provide some evidence that this drives current German politics on this issue or just STFU with your irrelevant godwin.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Thanas wrote:If this continues and Eastern and Western Europe continue to refuse to pull their weight we will have to stop taking refugees ourselves, and then we will have several million of starving people stuck in the Balkans. With no food and no shelter they will have to take both from the locals, who will defend themselves against that and the other ravages such banditry usually brings with it.

This is going to get very ugly.
Like a reverse crusade.
Thanas wrote:Why the fuck do some idots feel the need to bring the Nazis into this? Either provide some evidence that this drives current German politics on this issue or just STFU with your irrelevant godwin.
If you can blame nazis and the Germans pay up, the old colonial powers get away scot-free. Otherwise this might be expensive for the French(former colonial power), the Americans (who caused ISIS), the Russians/Soviets (who protected the Assad dynasty) and the Brits (who took part in the Iraq war and shaped the middle East with the Versailles treaty).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I think it grossly over simplistic to say America caused ISIS as if they were the soul party responsible. I do acknowledge that American foreign policy fuck ups with regard to Iraq played a significant role (and believe me, I'd love to see George W. Bush on trial for that disaster, along with his entire cabinet and his top generals), but I think that to let Assad (who's brutality helped incite the Syrian civil war that ISIS is profiting off of), Russia (prolonging said war by propping up Assad), Iran (ditto), the Iraqi government (who's troops seem utterly unwilling to fight ISIS), Turkey (apparently playing both sides of the fence when it comes to ISIS), the rest of the US coalition in Iraq (who all willingly participated in Bush's idiocy), and, you know, the ISIS fighters and leadership themselves, off the hook, is giving a pass to a lot of people who don't deserve it.

So its not that I think America has no responsibility, but that to put all responsibility on America is the kind of oversimplification people only indulge in if they are either stupid, lazy, or pushing a false agenda. The Middle East is fucking complicated, and there is blame to go around to pretty much everyone.

That said, America has an obligation regardless to help the refugees caused by this crisis. We'd have an obligation even if we had no responsibility for causing it at all. People need help and we are capable of helping. That should be reason enough.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

I agree the situation is complicated. Most of the time I'm more inclined to take a more comprehensive approach to assigning blame - especially because "blame America for everything" is a common kneejerk reaction. And sure, there's a lot of factors at play here. But in this case, I don't hesitate to say that ISIS' success is like ... at least, say 90% the fault of bad planning, laziness, and incompetence on the part of the US.

I mean, yes, there's many other factors. Blaming ISIS themselves is of course not productive and totally beside the point ... that's like blaming a rapid dog for biting someone. Of course, we also have the general, wider problem of Sunni radicalism throughout the MENA region, but if we confine the scope of our blame to just the phenomenon of ISIS successfully creating a mini-state in Northern Iraq, we can say with confidence that this is like 90-99% the fault of US mismanagement and specifically Obama's decision to take the politically expedient move of withdrawing from Iraq, rather than listening to endless warnings (going back to 2010) from the Kurds and Maliki government that ISIS was a major problem that would spill over into Iraq. I mean, the Kurdish Iraqi president Jalal Talabani practically begged Obama to do something, many months before ISIS invaded.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Blaming ISIS is like blaming a virus. Yeah, it's bad. But who should get more blame - the virus or a person who helped it spread?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Channel72 wrote:I agree the situation is complicated. Most of the time I'm more inclined to take a more comprehensive approach to assigning blame - especially because "blame America for everything" is a common kneejerk reaction. And sure, there's a lot of factors at play here. But in this case, I don't hesitate to say that ISIS' success is like ... at least, say 90% the fault of bad planning, laziness, and incompetence on the part of the US.

I mean, yes, there's many other factors. Blaming ISIS themselves is of course not productive and totally beside the point ... that's like blaming a rapid dog for biting someone. Of course, we also have the general, wider problem of Sunni radicalism throughout the MENA region, but if we confine the scope of our blame to just the phenomenon of ISIS successfully creating a mini-state in Northern Iraq, we can say with confidence that this is like 90-99% the fault of US mismanagement and specifically Obama's decision to take the politically expedient move of withdrawing from Iraq, rather than listening to endless warnings (going back to 2010) from the Kurds and Maliki government that ISIS was a major problem that would spill over into Iraq. I mean, the Kurdish Iraqi president Jalal Talabani practically begged Obama to do something, many months before ISIS invaded.
For better or for worse (and a lot of people will argue its for the best), I don't think their was much political support/will for staying in Iraq. And while leaving a conflict unresolved is hardly a good course of action, I do think the question "How long are we expected to stay their?" is not unreasonable. Especially since a lot of the Iraqi people didn't want us their and a lot of people will argue that the state of Iraq is because the US intervened in the first place.

The worst fuckups, I think, came under Bush, who, like I said, should be facing trial right now. Or rather, he should have faced trial in 2008 and be currently serving his life sentence (presuming he was found guilty).

And yes, if you exclude blaming ISIS or Sunni radicalism and focus solely on ISIS's sudden expansion in Iraq, you can put the blame mostly on the US, but that's rather tipping the scales, don't you think?

I also think that saying ISIS isn't to blame for ISIS's actions because they're like rabid dogs is letting them off the hook and also rather... prejudiced, in a strange way. Which is not to say that I have the slightest sympathy for them- its the opposite, actually. While I fully recognize that ISIS's success was influenced by other factors, I take the approach that as ISIS members are still, technically, human (obviously), and thus sentient beings, they have responsibility for their actions.

The same, obviously, applies to K. A. Pital's virus analogy.

Does it do any particular good to say that? Maybe, maybe not. ISIS certainly won't care. But I think its important that we see ISIS for what it is, and encourage others to do so.

Edits: However, I don't want to take this thread off topic, so I'm prepared to say "Agree to partially disagree" and leave it at that if you are. It makes no difference to the issue of how we should address the refugee crisis to me- like I said, people need help, we can help, and that should be reason enough to help.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Thanas wrote:Why the fuck do some idots feel the need to bring the Nazis into this? Either provide some evidence that this drives current German politics on this issue or just STFU with your irrelevant godwin.
I don't think it drives German politics. I think there are some people in the world who either can't distinguish between Nazis and Germans, or think they can profit by exploiting old wounds and crimes. Neither phenomena - either being unable to let go of the past or exploitation - is a new thing.
The Romulan Republic wrote:So its not that I think America has no responsibility, but that to put all responsibility on America is the kind of oversimplification people only indulge in if they are either stupid, lazy, or pushing a false agenda. The Middle East is fucking complicated, and there is blame to go around to pretty much everyone.
And that's another common phenomena - oversimplification. Also the search for an easy answer. There isn't one this time.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Washington Post reports that Germany is considering a new set of laws that will remove most benefits for migrants and replace them with food rations and a plane ticket to the EU periphery.
(Can't get a good quote copy from phone.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/cr ... story.html
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Don't turn this into an ISIS tangent, there are threads for that.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

“Germany is helping. The question is, who is helping Germany?” German Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel asked in a video released Thursday.

He accused other countries of taking E.U. money, then “hiding in the bushes when they have to take responsibility.”
Sounds very fucking familiar with regards as to every crisis ever in Europe.

WTF is Poland doing? Or Spain? Or France? Or Britain? Fuck all, that's what.
------------
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:
“Germany is helping. The question is, who is helping Germany?” German Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel asked in a video released Thursday.

He accused other countries of taking E.U. money, then “hiding in the bushes when they have to take responsibility.”

Well Poland at least did not support the Middle Eastern invasions and bombings (or did it?) - and is itself a poor country. But Britain and France - deplorable and cowardly behaviour.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Poland was a great supporter of the war in Iraq and deployed troops there, so yes, it did.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well according to our government the UK is sending something like the 2nd largest amount of aid direct to Syria camps to help. If that's worth anything to you.

And doesn't spain already have a lot of unemployment? Adding lots of refugees is not going to do them any good at all. (of course the same could be said of many eastern europeans countries that don't have the choice of keeping them out as easily.)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Crazedwraith wrote:Well according to our government the UK is sending something like the 2nd largest amount of aid direct to Syria camps to help. If that's worth anything to you.
How is that going to help with people who are stuck in the balcans or are already in Europe?
------------
------------
My LPs
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

It isn't, but given the general attitude of the press and public in this country we should be grateful for small mercies.

Oh, and lead item on BBC News on the radio was a county council official in Liverpool complaining that they've been told they'll be getting n hundred refugees but sod-all in the way of extra funding or assistance or even a bit of official guidance on what to actually do with them. What it sounds like is that those twenty thousand refugees are going to be dumped into emergency council accommodation -of which there is not a hell of a lot to go around as things stand!- and left to fend for themselves.

If this is our esteemed government's idea of helping to solve the refugee crisis then you might be better off without us.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

At this rate, it's going to be really hard for any refugee to he integrated into any major European society. Then in a few years, people will complaint about how the refugees do not want to be part of European or British society.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Thanas wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Well according to our government the UK is sending something like the 2nd largest amount of aid direct to Syria camps to help. If that's worth anything to you.
How is that going to help with people who are stuck in the balcans or are already in Europe?
It's not, I agree. On the other hand taking the Syrian problem as a whole, it's not doing nothing either. *shrug* I've already said we're taking an absolute pittance.

Cameron's rhetoric has always been its better to treat it at the source by 'fixing syria' rather than taking in refugees. And while that is partly a bullshit excuse because a) the two aren't mutually exclusive and b) we don't seem to be doing that much to stop the war in syria anyway. But he's got a small sliver of a point. IF our aid money is doing to anything to stem the tide of refugees, that's a good thing right? If we take it out there and put it instead to house x refugees in the UK and that results in x +1 more refugees coming to Europe than that's made the problem worse right?

Of course I can present no evidence of where our aid money is going, and to who and how effectively it is being used so.... yeah. I'm not saying you're point isn't valid.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Maybe a few personal things: A friend of mine is from Iran and moved here a few years ago, and meanwhile has German citizenship and works as doctor. A few weeks ago two cousins of her came as refugees to Germany. However, those are neither poor nor persecuted, they apparently just jumped on the bandwagon. In fact they were quite wealthy. It seems there is a fad in middle east to leave and go to Europe. I do not have any further source for this. But after hearing this I realized I haven't read any posters or sources directly from Syria or nearby Arab states. Only from western commenters and news organizations, which always means there is a filter. But if that is true, the open hospitality of Germany did have negative consequences. But there will always be restless souls who throw away their lives and hunt shadows.

For the two I'm afraid this will end badly, because he is willing to work, but can't speak German or English and is a bit mentally unflexible. And she moves together with a career refugee who haven't worked a day in his life and spend the last decade or so moving around in Europe learning how to best life off subsidies. We hope they split up before they marry and have children. :|

Another things she mentioned was that scarfs seems to become acceptable. Nurses and doctors in her hospital do wear it. She also told that some guy in the bus recently pestered her in a way she only remembers from Iran (he kept moving closer to her altough she moved to the edge of the seat to keep distance). Now she is afraid that the influx of a huge amount of Muslim refugees will step by step push back women from public, forcing them to wear scarfs and lose their freedom, like it happened in Iran. Which is what she wanted to leave behind.
I am a bit more optimistic about the latter, since Germany is a different country, and the culture war for female emancipation was pretty successful, and the memory is still around. With an ageing population there is also a bigger pull for women joining the work force, which has historically been one of the drivers of emancipation. Also I was never subject of suppression and discrimination, so I can be more naive.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

And doesn't spain already have a lot of unemployment? Adding lots of refugees is not going to do them any good at all. (of course the same could be said of many eastern europeans countries that don't have the choice of keeping them out as easily.)
Spain's unemployment is over 22% if I remember correctly. Asking them to take in additional refugees when they're already straining under their own weight seems pretty shitty.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:

Look, not that I particularly agree with the way the Eastern European countries are reacting, but there's a lot to be said about German outright stupidity. Merkel gets on her little soapbox and says 'everybody is welcome'* and then she is shocked, shocked I say when number of asylum seekers crossing into Europe explodes.

And then when Germany realises that it can't actually absorb all these people and looks to shift some to other countries (reasonable but totally pointless) and all the other countries who didn't get on the soapbox and say 'everyone is welcome', who have actually be doing the exact opposite of that are miffed and not playing ball. Wow ... who could have seen that coming? :shock:

But as we all play Game of Migrants behind our keyboards, winter is coming and soon the crisis will turn into a disaster. Simply because Europe is fundamentally dysfunctional.

*Yes, I know that's not what Merkel said, but that was the way it spread through the asylum seeker population so the effect is the same.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Crown wrote:Look, not that I particularly agree with the way the Eastern European countries are reacting, but there's a lot to be said about German outright stupidity. Merkel gets on her little soapbox and says 'everybody is welcome'* and then she is shocked, shocked I say when number of asylum seekers crossing into Europe explodes.
Don't know if you've been following the news, but they have been coming at a higher rate even before Merkel commented on it.
------------
------------
My LPs
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:
Crown wrote:Look, not that I particularly agree with the way the Eastern European countries are reacting, but there's a lot to be said about German outright stupidity. Merkel gets on her little soapbox and says 'everybody is welcome'* and then she is shocked, shocked I say when number of asylum seekers crossing into Europe explodes.
Don't know if you've been following the news, but they have been coming at a higher rate even before Merkel commented on it.
I have been following the news, I mentioned it in the Greek bailout thread (how numbers were exploding) before anyone (like the total hipster I am), the reaction post Merkel gaff (if you could even call it, as I said she didn't really say that, but the media/gossip ran with it) has exasperated it.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Merkel wants others to share (doubt it) and signals tougher rules. I think the German signal will send a lot of people to Sweden.
Europe must share responsibility for coping with mass migration, Germany's chancellor said on Sunday, cautioning that her country could not shelter those who moved solely for economic reasons.

"Germany is willing to help. But it is not just a German challenge, but one for all of Europe," Angela Merkel told a gathering of trade unionists. "Europe must act together and take on responsibility. Germany can't shoulder this task alone."

Striking a more skeptical tone on migration than in previous weeks, Merkel also warned that Germany could not shelter those who were moving for economic reasons rather than to flee war or persecution.

"We are a big country. We are a strong country. But to make out as if we alone can solve all the social problems of the world would not be realistic," she told a gathering of the Verdi trade union.

"We want to offer shelter to those who need it but we have to say to those who come for other reasons, for economic reasons, that they do not have a perspective of staying," she said.

The comments came as Hungary and Croatia traded threats as thousands of migrants poured over their borders, deepening the disarray in Europe over how to handle the crisis.

A proposal being argued over ahead of a meeting of European Union interior ministers on Tuesday would, if agreed, relocate 120,000 asylum seekers over the next two years around the whole bloc.

Bitterly-divided European leaders will then seek to find a credible response to the worst migration crisis affecting the continent since World War Two, at an emergency summit on Wednesday.
Reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/ ... UW20150920