Question about Black Hole-powered ships

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Question about Black Hole-powered ships

Post by Balrog »

If a ship that was being powered by a black hole was destroyed, wouldn't the black hole just suck it all up and continue on as a regular black hole?

It's part of a story I'm writing... :wink:
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

If it were destroyed, the device that was creating the blackhole would be destroyed as well, thus the black hole would disappear, and not absorb anything.

This of course assumes there was sufficient damage to destroy or unpower said device.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Most sci tech black holes are artificially sustained and would cease to exist when the support structure was destroyed.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Thanks a lot :D
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring