Pre-industrial Fantasy STGOD OOC/Rules Thread:

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Pre-industrial Fantasy STGOD OOC/Rules Thread:

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I had considered that, and I do like your reference to Orion in the latest story post.
By the way, that's the reference to Orion I asked permission to make about three weeks ago. This chapter is actually the FIRST one I wrote, it just needed a few touchups because there was one passage I was having trouble writing.

By contrast, the reference to Xazonar stopping and being distracted by feeling like it was being spied upon
A question, are we accepting that "silver bullets are highly effective against magical targets" as a general game convention? Or was it just against Shadow-Lords? A my last story post indicated, I am working on anti-magical ammunition, so if its just silver I have to use that makes it easier.
Ahem:

[Deputy modhat on]

The use of silver as a counter to magical threats is NOT a general game convention. At least not as far as I am concerned. Not unless everyone else agrees that it is.

More generally, I will NEVER make any general claim about how magic works for other people in story posts and expect other people to honor it. Not without soliciting their explicit consent in writing in advance.

If the claim affects only one other person (e.g. a claim about how Jub's spirit totems work) I will seek only their consent.

If it affects all of us (e.g. silver bullets being uniquely effective against magical creatures), I would logically have to seek ALL players' consent and will not proceed without unanimous agreement. Since the nature of play-by-post games makes such unanimity nearly impossible to achieve, I will NOT seek such consent and will therefore NOT presume to make binding claims about the universal nature of magic.

I feel that it would be good if all the rest of us adhered to the same principle. Pending TRR's agreement, I suggest that we make this a rule if we have not already done so.

So basically, NO, I am not attempting to create a precedent for silver weapons being a special, automatic antimagic weapon. That said, there is ample mythological precedent for various metals being especially useful at neutralizing, countering, or resisting magic, or being particularly baneful to certain supernatural creatures (e.g. iron and fairies, silver and werewolves).

[Deputy modhat off]

Now, more specifically.

Shadow-lords are among the greater, but not the greatest, entities of the Eighth Plane, which they are native to. They are immortal unless killed by sorcery or violence. They possess great magical abilities, vastly superhuman strength, stamina, and senses, superhuman durability, and great intelligence. Note that Xazonar, unlike a lot of stereotypical summoned monsters, is a competent tactician, although unfamiliar with gunpowder weapons.

A shadow-lord's point value on the field of battle will vary widely depending on that shadow-lord's own experience, skills, resources, and ability to prepare for contingencies in advance. I leave it up to other players to establish (if they wish) whether Xazonar is an unusually powerful shadow-lord, an unusually weak one, or an average one- by comparison to other shadow-lords.

Shadow-lords, and many other creatures native to their plane of existence, are resistant to base metals, as we have seen. Specifically, weapons made out of iron, bronze, lead, and so on will strike a barrier of force a short distance from their skin and will rapidly lose forward momentum. Lesser beings from that plane have lesser immunity.

Shadow-lords, being exceptionally empowered, are practically immune. A weapon forged out of base metal will basically never hurt them at all except by sheer momentum transfer, and their strength and durability is such that it takes a LOT of momentum transfer to actually hurt them.

Metals of the platinum group, as well as gold, can partially bypass this effect. Stone, likewise, is affected but to a lesser extent.

Silver ignores the effect entirely, as do objects made out of living matter, or matter that was living in the recent past.

In addition, silver (and possibly other substances I have not mentioned, which may or may not exist on Earth) burn the flesh of creatures of the Eighth Plane on contact.

Given their physical size and durability, being shot by an 18th century pistol would be about as bad for a shadow-lord as being hit by a single ball of, oh... high speed birdshot... would be for a human- a potentially serious injury but unlikely to be fatal in and of itself. Given their superior regenerative abilities, survival would be nearly certain. And that is IF that pistol-ball could bypass the entity's immunity.

However, a silver bullet is uniquely suitable to defeating shadow-lords and other entities of the Eighth Plane, because it bypasses their wards entirely, then catches fire inside their flesh. The effect is similar to what might happen if you shot earthly creatures with a bullet made out of, oh, sodium or white phosphorus. If anything the effect is worse because the silver is not consumed in the process of burning the flesh of an Eighth Plane creature, though it may be melted by the heat thus generated.

Other practical means of defeating a shadow-lord in pitched battle include:
-Weapons specifically enchanted by powerful wizards or godlike beings to bypass the creature's immunity, or enchanted so highly that they can bypass it on general principles (e.g. Excalibur). Ohio either doesn't have any such weapons, or doesn't have any anywhere near where it needed them on Frostbringer 20.
-Attacking the entity with weapons made out of stone (adequate), wood (better) or other organic materials. Hardwoods are recommended, as shadow-lords are expert in the manipulation of fire, and you want something that will take long enough to burn up that you can finish killing it. Ohio does not have such weapons, although they do occasionally use polished stone cannonballs under special circumstances totally unrelated to this.
-Just plain mauling the shit out of it with weapons of base metals, with such great velocity and mass that sheer momentum transfer beats it to a pulp. Ohioan infantry can't do this because their musketeers are not trained to fire concentrated, crisp vollies, and they do not have enough men with muskets in their hands to deliver adequate volume. Ohioan artillery can't do it either, because they're using popguns and their gunners don't shoot rapidly or accurately enough.

Shadow-lords and other Eighth Plane creatures are, it is implied, not particularly common. So it's not necessarily a sensible precaution to hand out silver weapons to your troops on the off chance that you encounter one. Especially since, realistically, if you handed silver musket-balls or cannonballs to normal soldiers, the things would have gotten melted down for drinking money within a week at best. Certainly that would happen if you handed them out to Ohioan troops on a regular basis.

The Detroiter wizards are good at summoning Eighth Plane creatures, but they're also good at summoning plenty of other kinds of creatures from throughout the multiverse, all of them mad, bad, and dangerous to know. Xazonar just happened to be the only one that Guillory personally could think of, and knew how to summon, which was plausibly capable of defeating an entire regiment of angry, prepared Ohioan soldiers all by itself. Which, I hope you will agree... it is. Even now, Xazonar is still not someone you want to get close to.

As an example of what might have happened in some force substitution scenarios where a roughly 2000pt force went up against Xazonar in similar terrain and circumstances:

1) A Sylix warband of adequate size (i.e. adequate numbers of men and totems) might do very well, being as how their weapons are mostly enchanted and many of them are made out of wood and stone. Their arrows and spears would be injurious to Xazonar, and one of their larger totem creatures might very well defeat it in hand to hand combat. Xazonar, on the other hand, would know this, and would take considerable pains to avoid allowing such a warband to come to grips with it, instead using various magics to attack from long range while keeping its distance. Even so, it might actually do less harm to the Sylix force than to the Ohioan force. The Beasts of Bogazdan would be a challenge, but they're not really much worse all things considered than guys with muskets, which Sylix tribesmen can already handle.

2) Tarn possesses a number of wizards capable of besting Xazonar in a direct conflict of pure sorcerous might, which not many mortal wizards could do. They also possess forces of undead so large and/or capable that they could overwhelm anything Xazonar could summon in a reasonable amount of time. So they could probably beat it on its own terms- summoned minions cancelling summoned minions, and magic beating magic.

3) Aztecs would probably send in so many hardened badass crazy serpent-skull-whatever warriors that someone would manage to get close and hamstring Xazonar with a razor-sharp obsidian knife (since stone weapons actually work on it, at least sort of), and proceed to drown the shadow-lord and its minions in the gore of hundreds of their soldiers. Their gods would be pleased both by the shedding of blood in their name, and by the distinct possibility of Xazonar itself being dragged to an altar and put to the knife itself (O_o). Except for a couple who are unhappy because they knew Xazonar in college or whatever, and feel kind of bad about the whole thing.

At least, that's how I picture the Aztecs working; I may not have things down quite right.

4) An Orion or Ottoman infantry force of adequate size would have mauled Xazonar with MASSED ARTILLERY. Ottoman guns are (frequently) holy weapons and would partially (though probably not entirely) bypass Xazonar's immunity. Orion guns are just plain ridiculously huge and would inflict massively more blunt force trauma to the point where Xazonar would get the snot beaten out of itself, and run for its life, partially concussed and covered in bruises.

On the other hand, the Beasts of Bogazdan would probably inflict more damage to Orion troops, in exchange for taking considerably heavier casualties on the approach. Ottomans against Beasts, dunno how that would go, adequately I'm sure but I can't say whether they'd fare better or worse than Ohioans.

4a) In other words, Xazonar getting into an artillery duel with the Ohioans was like a normal, able-bodied man getting into a boxing match with, say, me. I am neither small nor particularly weak in the arms, but I'm not exceptional in those respects either. I figure that most able-bodied men could take the punches I'd dish out fairly well, and make a good accounting of themselves. A trained boxer could take me on and be quite confident of victory.

But Xazonar getting into an artillery duel with an Orion force of comparable size would be like a normal man getting into a boxing match with Manny Pacquiao. No thanks!

5) By contrast, the Ohioans' means of defeating the same enemy revolve around their unique strengths: the magic resistance that is granted to them through their faith and prayers, and the supernatural sources of information and guidance they enjoy by virtue of their religion.

So basically what it comes down to is that everyone can rock in their respective ways, and it's just a question of whether your particular way of rocking involves ancestral spirits, overwhelming gunfire, overpowering feats of high magic, or staggering balls-out badassery with Stone Age weaponry.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Esquire wrote:It's a useful bit of flavor that needn't have any practical effect; with supernatural threats as common as they are, a standard musketeer's combat load could simply be 35 lead and 5 silver bullets, or something.
Esquire wrote:Ghetto edit: and Orion's superior refineries lead to purer silver rounds, preserving your antimagic advantage.
To provide a short and to the point response to this specifically, in addition to what I said above:

I had no intention of making silver a universal counter to magic. It is specifically a counter to Xazonar, and other beings from the same plane as it, and note that I have made it more or less canonical that Ohioans don't normally carry silver bullets. With good reason- this may be the first time in a decade or more that the Ohioan military has even encountered a thing that cannot easily be defeated without using a silver bullet.

Also, if you give the average Ohioan soldier a silver bullet, he will melt it down for drinking money or, if he is unusually responsible, for money to pay for improvements to the farm back home. Delatour was not tempted to do this, because he is independently wealthy and in fact bought his own damn silver bullets out of pocket.

AS I IMAGINE IT, supernatural threats that are categorically immune to normal weapons would be relatively rare, as opposed to things that are merely very strong or very fast or have magic powers that allow them to kill fifty men from ambush and escape before the other soldiers can concentrate and draw a bead on them.

Many creatures immune to normal weapons would have specific 'counters,' but silver is only one of the things that might be a counter. So if you wanted to start carrying weapons of every type needed to counter just any supernatural creature you'd need to carry holly bayonets AND bullets anointed in the compound that genies are allergic to AND silver bullets AND this AND that AND the other thing. It would be prohibitively difficult.

Also I will note that silver is actually quite easy to refine and make pure or nearly pure. But that's an aside.
Raw Shark wrote:I personally think it'd be a little boring and easy if it was just silver. Not that I'd be especially opposed, mind you, with all the silver that we mine down here and all, but the only thing I'm not going to vote against as an everything-killer is fire, because fire.
I 100% agree with you, except that I think there are some monsters that it would be pointless to fight with fire because they're good at fire. It would be like fighting a Raw Shark by shooting beer and hookers at him, or something.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I'm going to agree with Raw Shark. Silver works against demons because it's pure and good. Similarly, it works against vampires and werewolves. Vampires don't show up in mirrors because the mirror uses silver as the reflecting surface.

As for using silver in ammo, your average ball weighs 1oz. Assuming that your silver ammo is the same weight, that's about $1 a round. In 1792 money. That's something like $14 in today's money. Issuance of silver rounds shouldn't be common, simply because the troops are likely to sell them off.

Also, there's only two races of dragons. One's far enough away that Orion probably shouldn't be worried about them, and the other is not known for attacking people.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

You do better just hitting my totem beasts with as much force as you can, even if each addition is just a musket ball or a pike thrust. It doesn't always look like it's doing a ton, but the damage adds up.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

A sufficient quantity of beer and hookers could theoretically kill me, if only with liver failure, STIs, crushing me under sheer mass, etc... Now adding a death involving the words sheer mass of hookers to my top 5 preferred ways to go...

~~~~~~~

So, yeah, Simon_Jester's assessment of the probable Aztec response to Xazonar, not to mention my writing style, is fairly dead-on. Nitpicks: The specific individuals who give exactly zero fucks in the quiet moments when they don't actively pray for death sent to engage the demon with stone-age weaponry in melee would be the Pepper Knights, who keep razor-sharp obsidian knives on them for things like shaving, but would be more likely to try to hamstring something that big with an obsidian or shark tooth macahuitl.

Once disabled, something fancy like Xazonar would be kneecapped and otherwise beaten with the wooden flats until it could be dragged to the altar, if possible. The Pepper Knights are drilled in this sort of thing, and it is most pleasing to the gods when it works, except for the odd college roommate or entire company of elite warriors wiped out snafu.

Also, we don't send those guys in on a battlefield without substantial back-up from musketeers and a small battery of 4-pound artillery, as they are kind of featherweight for ferocious shield-wall-breakers (Yucatan jungle ops are a different story on both counts), so if firepower works on the minions, the guys engaging the demon have cover fire. If it doesn't, hey, at least it's festive! A disproportionate number of the gods love really loud noises for some reason...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

As for the Drachenimperium solution, given the ~2000pt limit, they'd have, most likely, a brigade of: a foot regiment's battalion, a cavalry squadron, and a field artillery battalion (pair of batteries). They'd attempt to pound him with artillery, with the brigade's mages both providing shielding and enhancing the shot.

Yes, for those noticing, I gave up on coming up with a better name.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ok, no silver as a cure-all for magic, I'll stick to developing my already-stated magic-cancelling gunpowder additive for breaking through enchantments. The thinking is that by coating the outer layer of the shot with said additive, the ball can pass through enchantments mostly unhindered, thus delivering nearly it's full force to the enemy. Though it's a long way off from field deployment yet. I'll stick to just shooting the fuckers in the face with a fuckoff-huge gun.

And yeah, my line infantry would probably have taken more casualties than your pike tercios, but we are trained as you described with the two-line fire and advance tactics you described some time earlier. And of course we have our Psychomancers, I'm not sure how their effects would interact with the Beats of Bogzadan. Hmmmmm....
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Simon_Jester wrote:[Deputy modhat on]

The use of silver as a counter to magical threats is NOT a general game convention. At least not as far as I am concerned. Not unless everyone else agrees that it is.
That was never established in the rules or anywhere else that I was aware of, so I'd say no.

If you want to write a creature that's vulnerable to silver, knock yourself out. But others may wish to write their own magical creatures differently, and that's fine.
More generally, I will NEVER make any general claim about how magic works for other people in story posts and expect other people to honor it. Not without soliciting their explicit consent in writing in advance.
Indeed.
If the claim affects only one other person (e.g. a claim about how Jub's spirit totems work) I will seek only their consent.

If it affects all of us (e.g. silver bullets being uniquely effective against magical creatures), I would logically have to seek ALL players' consent and will not proceed without unanimous agreement. Since the nature of play-by-post games makes such unanimity nearly impossible to achieve, I will NOT seek such consent and will therefore NOT presume to make binding claims about the universal nature of magic.
Makes sense.
I feel that it would be good if all the rest of us adhered to the same principle. Pending TRR's agreement, I suggest that we make this a rule if we have not already done so.
Their is something on this already, or at least closely related to it:
No Godmode, obviously. This includes decisions regarding your faction’s capabilities and backstory that might interfere with other participants.
But we can clarify that that explicitly includes making general rules about how magic works. So be it.
So basically, NO, I am not attempting to create a precedent for silver weapons being a special, automatic antimagic weapon. That said, there is ample mythological precedent for various metals being especially useful at neutralizing, countering, or resisting magic, or being particularly baneful to certain supernatural creatures (e.g. iron and fairies, silver and werewolves).

[Deputy modhat off]
Seems reasonable.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Beowulf wrote:...
Hey, good idea putting your ORBAT in your Dropbox. I should do that too.
I'm going to agree with Raw Shark. Silver works against demons because it's pure and good. Similarly, it works against vampires and werewolves. Vampires don't show up in mirrors because the mirror uses silver as the reflecting surface.
Well, shadow-lords and other creatures of the Eighth Plane are definitely what humans would call "demons," but then there may well be other types of "demons" which are not similarly vulnerable to silver. Likewise, I won't presume to speak to whether other people's vampires or anything else are vulnerable to silver. If I write them that way, it doesn't mean other people have to unless they want to.
As for using silver in ammo, your average ball weighs 1oz. Assuming that your silver ammo is the same weight, that's about $1 a round. In 1792 money. That's something like $14 in today's money. Issuance of silver rounds shouldn't be common, simply because the troops are likely to sell them off.
Yeah, as I said, if you issued silver bullets to Ohioan soldiers, within a few months, most of them would have been sold off to buy booze, tobacco, more booze, illicit chocolate bars purchased from shady creeps, and so on.
Jub wrote:You do better just hitting my totem beasts with as much force as you can, even if each addition is just a musket ball or a pike thrust. It doesn't always look like it's doing a ton, but the damage adds up.
Right. Well, to some extent that even works on creatures with immunities- Xazonar's immunity to base metals has very real limits, which is why an Orion field gun battery would beat it to a pulp. I'm not a big fan of "no limits" immunities unless the means of bypassing the immunity are broad and simple and universally available to everyone.

That said, I always got the idea that totem animals were just really tough, which is very different from being "immune" in the sense that a tank is immune to rifle bullets.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Ok, no silver as a cure-all for magic, I'll stick to developing my already-stated magic-cancelling gunpowder additive for breaking through enchantments. The thinking is that by coating the outer layer of the shot with said additive, the ball can pass through enchantments mostly unhindered, thus delivering nearly it's full force to the enemy. Though it's a long way off from field deployment yet. I'll stick to just shooting the fuckers in the face with a fuckoff-huge gun.
Big guns are generally your best bet, yeah.
And yeah, my line infantry would probably have taken more casualties than your pike tercios, but we are trained as you described with the two-line fire and advance tactics you described some time earlier.
Ohioan light infantry are musket blocks that are trained to fight four deep (two pairs of two lines, rather than three pairs), or three deep (front rank kneels, two ranks fire behind them). But packing less men into each linear yard of frontage weakens the effectiveness of the Ohioan ghosts' ability to generate a miss or block enemy spells, so at some point the reduced casualties that come from spreading out to give the bullets "more room to miss" is offset by the increased casualties that come from losing some of that supernatural luck.
And of course we have our Psychomancers, I'm not sure how their effects would interact with the Beats of Bogzadan. Hmmmmm....
Your men would fight very bravely, but would still be on fire in large numbers. The Beasts would probably get scared faster, which would tend to partially cancel things out because it reduces the risk that the Beasts will press the attack in hand to hand (note that they DID almost manage to chew their way through the Ohioans' Sixth Company just right of the center of their line, and were stopped only because Blanchard personally led the reserve platoon into the breach).

Given that [Beasts+Xazonar] is so close to the 2000 point metric we're using, it probably wouldn't stop them from closing to hand to hand at all, and you'd take nasty losses in hand to hand.

If your force were seriously bigger than 1666 points, there'd be a good chance of the Beasts simply breaking and running after the last volley from the muskets and inflicting almost no casualties, leaving Xazonar to stand there and go "well shit, I should have summoned flaming bats or something."
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Jub wrote:You do better just hitting my totem beasts with as much force as you can, even if each addition is just a musket ball or a pike thrust. It doesn't always look like it's doing a ton, but the damage adds up.
Right. Well, to some extent that even works on creatures with immunities- Xazonar's immunity to base metals has very real limits, which is why an Orion field gun battery would beat it to a pulp. I'm not a big fan of "no limits" immunities unless the means of bypassing the immunity are broad and simple and universally available to everyone.

That said, I always got the idea that totem animals were just really tough, which is very different from being "immune" in the sense that a tank is immune to rifle bullets.
Outside of maybe a giant turtle or something of that nature, I'd imagine them soaking damage the way a grizzly soaks hollow point .22 rounds. With great annoyance and some pain, but not a ton of harm.

Personally, I think it will make for a great scene when one of my city level beasts starts eating cannon fire.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Even if Raw Shark's not interested, I'd like to use my "Rogue elvish necromancers" idea. Is anyone else interested in roleplaying a minor incursion into their territory by elvish dark wizards exiled from my people?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I'd be absolutely okay with that, it plays into a story idea I've been working on.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Okay: How does this sound?

Two Necromancers-50 and 30 points.
Four acoylytes-10 points apiece.
50 other elves-3 points apiece.
50 mind controlled fanatics-5 points each.
100 mind controlled slaves who can be made to fight-half a point each.
200 zombies-1 point for five (didn't someone use that ratio already for zombies?).
1 werewolf, semi-tame-20 points.
10 spectres-5 points each.

Total Rogue Dark Lord raiding force- 680 points.

Goals- "liberate" other societies they view as inferior (with or without reason), enslave them to form a necromantic elvish state.

If you ask the Wanderer's Crown about it, they'll say these people are rogues who have no authority, and will gladly wish for their speedy deaths, but probably send little or nothing in material aid because they've got other problems that are more urgent for them.

Edit: I do have an idea for how I could draw my government into it, at least a little. If they necromancers had stolen an artifact (say worth 100 points), then a force might be sent to retrieve it. Interested?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Sounds good to me. :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Note that for a long term mission that would require passing through others' territories, a small force would likely be sent (either to avoid being threatening and get permission to pass through, or to sneak through), with the goal being to recover the artifact and maybe to assassinate the enemy leaders if they can pull it off, rather than an all-out assault. Thus, while such a rogue group within or near my own territory would probably involve several hundred Rangers and dozens of Healers and Scholars being sent (maybe even the Guard), in this case a small infiltration force of about three dozen would likely be sent.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Jub wrote:Outside of maybe a giant turtle or something of that nature, I'd imagine them soaking damage the way a grizzly soaks hollow point .22 rounds. With great annoyance and some pain, but not a ton of harm.
True, although soft tissue damage adds up pretty fast in sufficient quantity. Then again, it's not clear to me whether your totem animals are actually organic creatures with recognizable anatomy and biology, or whether they're more like magically animated statues.

I mean, if you chop off a man's arm, the man will likely bleed out or go into shock (or both) regardless of how keyed-up and willing to fight he is. Puncture a man's lung, or even a bear's, and within a short amount of time the side effects of the collapsing lung will be physically incapacitating. But if you chop off the arm of a magically animated wooden statue*, there is no obvious reason it shouldn't just keep running around and beating on people with the other arm. Put a hole through its chest and it will keep fighting- and even if there's some magic keystone "heartwood" you can destroy, you could shoot the rest of the statue full of holes until it looked like a piece of petrified Swiss cheese and not really slow it down

So which is the better mental model for how your totems perform in a fight?

*Great, now I have the image of a cigar store Indian in an Ohio tobacco store, who is actually a totem...
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Simon_Jester wrote:True, although soft tissue damage adds up pretty fast in sufficient quantity. Then again, it's not clear to me whether your totem animals are actually organic creatures with recognizable anatomy and biology, or whether they're more like magically animated statues.

I mean, if you chop off a man's arm, the man will likely bleed out or go into shock (or both) regardless of how keyed-up and willing to fight he is. Puncture a man's lung, or even a bear's, and within a short amount of time the side effects of the collapsing lung will be physically incapacitating. But if you chop off the arm of a magically animated wooden statue*, there is no obvious reason it shouldn't just keep running around and beating on people with the other arm. Put a hole through its chest and it will keep fighting- and even if there's some magic keystone "heartwood" you can destroy, you could shoot the rest of the statue full of holes until it looked like a piece of petrified Swiss cheese and not really slow it down

So which is the better mental model for how your totems perform in a fight?

*Great, now I have the image of a cigar store Indian in an Ohio tobacco store, who is actually a totem...
I'm picturing something more akin to the later, but with the theatrics of the former. They're kind of D&D style bag of hitpoints.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So basically, it doesn't really matter very much how you damage them, you just have to keep whaling on them until they sort of... cease? Gotcha.

Be interesting to write one trying to plow into a pike formation; I've read some truly good depictions of such things this week.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Simon_Jester wrote:So basically, it doesn't really matter very much how you damage them, you just have to keep whaling on them until they sort of... cease? Gotcha.

Be interesting to write one trying to plow into a pike formation; I've read some truly good depictions of such things this week.
Yeah, each shot just strips away some of the spirit's will to fight. Once the spirit decides that it's had enough that's it, the corpse of its animate form drops dead and the spirit licks its wounds back within the totem.

As for one of these crashing through lines of pike under a hail of shot from cannon and musket alike, I'd love to see your take on that as well. I might have to find a way to get a few out your way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm honestly not sure the smaller ones could crash through a pike phalanx. The biggest ones could do so and cause divers alarums, of course.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Simon_Jester wrote:I'm honestly not sure the smaller ones could crash through a pike phalanx. The biggest ones could do so and cause divers alarums, of course.
Anything smaller than the 100 and 250 point models probably wouldn't be designed for melee work anyway. At worst they'd be designed as assassins, but the majority fly, use some form of stealth, have a ranged attack; something to avoid having to charge a battle line. The larger models would also tend towards something like acid breath to soften a group up before the hit their lines.

Your army with their strange fortunes and high morale would probably be a bad matchup for mine. I'd much rather fight the elves, plains horsemen, Tarn, etc.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

True, although I have a hilarious image of what might happen if an Ohioan invasion of your territory really got out of hand.

[No, it does not involve me 'winning' in any definite sense. PM me if you want the details.]

However, geography makes it effectively impossible that such an invasion would ever take place.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Simon_Jester wrote:True, although I have a hilarious image of what might happen if an Ohioan invasion of your territory really got out of hand.

[No, it does not involve me 'winning' in any definite sense. PM me if you want the details.]

However, geography makes it effectively impossible that such an invasion would ever take place.
I may just PM you about that, because, as you've said, the geography of the interior of BC doesn't exactly allow a large force to use their numbers and Ohioan's probably dislike ambushes as much as most other armies.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I'm hurt the Hyenorks didn't get to join the force sub fun :)

Based on the description of the '8th plane' for demons I spent an enforced 30min in a coffee shop sketching out a possible, completely speculative system of magic that covers everything people have written so far (I think). Like the first periodic table, it also has some interesting holes that might make for some good plot hooks - would people be interested if I posted it as a story post - say by Osbourne The Unreliable, Arcane Researcher in a little regarded Orion university?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Even if Raw Shark's not interested, I'd like to use my "Rogue elvish necromancers" idea. Is anyone else interested in roleplaying a minor incursion into their territory by elvish dark wizards exiled from my people?
Even though you've already worked out something with Esquire from the looks of it, I'd also be down for having another splinter cell of rogue elves near my territory. For one thing, the Wanderers are considerably closer to Fusang than the Ottoman territories. I also made a reference in my backstory to drug cartels operating out of the Emerald Triangle; perhaps this particular group of rogue elves is trying to muscle in on the Emerald Triangle drug trade.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]