Saudi Arabia declares atheists terrorists

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Saudi Arabia declares atheists terrorists

Post by K. A. Pital »

the atom wrote:
K. A. Pital wrote:Unlike many other nations, Saudi Arabia well deserves what is coming to them. It is hard to imagine a more reactionary force in the Middle East than their kingdom. ISIS, perhaps.
Yeah, ISIS. Also, Al Qaeda and their quijillion affiliate groups. That's what will fill the vacuum if the House of Saud falls.

As despicable as they are, I'd rather not see Middle Eastern civilization collapse more than it has already.
Except the House of Saud financed that shit, so it is basically a stalemate situation. Besides, who is to say that Saudis are incapable of secularizing? If their royalty falls, they may very vell become more like Algeria or Tunisia. In time, of course, after lots of time. But the Saudi wahhabites in power now will certainly do all they can to prevent this.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

K. A. Pital wrote:
the atom wrote:
K. A. Pital wrote:Unlike many other nations, Saudi Arabia well deserves what is coming to them. It is hard to imagine a more reactionary force in the Middle East than their kingdom. ISIS, perhaps.
Yeah, ISIS. Also, Al Qaeda and their quijillion affiliate groups. That's what will fill the vacuum if the House of Saud falls.

As despicable as they are, I'd rather not see Middle Eastern civilization collapse more than it has already.
Except the House of Saud financed that shit, so it is basically a stalemate situation. Besides, who is to say that Saudis are incapable of secularizing? If their royalty falls, they may very vell become more like Algeria or Tunisia. In time, of course, after lots of time. But the Saudi wahhabites in power now will certainly do all they can to prevent this.
I know they won't end up like Tunisia or Algeria because the House of Saud aren't the radical ones by a longshot. The situation is more akin to Baathist Iraq, with a less religious leadership acting like a cork on a bottle full of raging religious fanaticism. If they fall from power, their place will be taken by the next few runners up, a line which is conspicuously lacking in secularists.

They won't be around to finance Wahhabist terrorism, but the Wahhabists who take their place will probably be even more inclined to do so than the Sauds are now.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Saddam's Iraq did not finance radical salafist militias.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

K. A. Pital wrote:
the atom wrote:

Given there's hardly any organised group( strong enough to be noteworthy) of Saudi or exiled Saudis that are pushing for increased secularisation, I think that's a dream too far.

If the population have no major incentive to change in a direction that is preferable to the western world, toppling the current monarchy is a bad idea.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

People who have an established power structure that finances Wahhabite religious militias threatening to destroy states, historical legacy and slaughter all Shia and other religious sects...

They are not what one can call harmless on a global scale. Saddam's Iraq was a lesser problem than KSA. Letting them rule just solidifes their power and control over financial support of terrorism.

Assalti Frontali
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

K. A. Pital wrote:People who have an established power structure that finances Wahhabite religious militias threatening to destroy states, historical legacy and slaughter all Shia and other religious sects...

They are not what one can call harmless on a global scale. Saddam's Iraq was a lesser problem than KSA. Letting them rule just solidifes their power and control over financial support of terrorism.
Therefore they should be replaced with a loose group of rabid fanatics with the same access to oil. No, wait that's fucking retarded.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Rabid fanatics will never have the full control that KSA's power structure has.

Assalti Frontali
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

K. A. Pital wrote:People who have an established power structure that finances Wahhabite religious militias threatening to destroy states, historical legacy and slaughter all Shia and other religious sects...

And we see what happens when you topple a totalitarian government like Iraq. Factions continues to find ways to fund their wars and organise terrorist attacks overseas ANYWAY. If faction like ISIS can make money off the oil field despite their reputation, any new terrorist groups can do the same in Saudi Arabia.

I think you are severely underestimating the ability of terrorist organisations and their abilities. Even if Saudi is gone as a country, what makes you think the rest of the gulf states will be happy to sit by and do nothing?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.