Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The Conservative Party has signed a letter saying they want DC to remain, regardless of the outcome. Which is going to be a real piss-take if it turns out the leave vote wins, since there's no way in hell he'd negotiate a Brexit. He's already said that this current election term would be his last, however.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

First result came in on BBC- landslide win for the "remain" camp in Gibraltar.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Ha, of course. You played that straight, I assume you get the humor in that.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

More results coming in:

Remain wins in Newcastle and Orkney.

I don't think I've seen a single confirmed win for leaving yet. Early still, of course, but its looking like a good night so far.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Newcastle was MUCH closer than the polls had indicated (projected 60/40 in favour of remain).

It still looks like Remain are favourites, but either way this is going to be very close.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, the general consensus seems to be "Remain favoured to win, but it'll be close."

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ouch- unexpectedly strong win for "Leave" in Sunderland (about 61%).

Hope we get some unexpectedly high wins for "Remain" soon, and that this is indicative of increased polarization rather than an overall shift in favour of "Leave".

Edit: looks like "Leave" has taken a slight lead in the overall vote count now. :evil:

But still, its really, really early in the count. I'll check back in in an hour or two and see where its at.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yay, Remain is back in the lead by almost 20,000 votes.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I've been googling to no avail. Is this just a straight popular vote, or will it be done by electorates?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Ouch- unexpectedly strong win for "Leave" in Sunderland (about 61%).

Hope we get some unexpectedly high wins for "Remain" soon, and that this is indicative of increased polarization rather than an overall shift in favour of "Leave".

Edit: looks like "Leave" has taken a slight lead in the overall vote count now. :evil:

But still, its really, really early in the count. I'll check back in in an hour or two and see where its at.
Fretting about it as it's going on won't do you any good. What matters is how it all turns out in the end. I'd say turn off the computer and go have a beer (or beverage of your choice) and watch some Netflix, man :)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Gandalf wrote:I've been googling to no avail. Is this just a straight popular vote, or will it be done by electorates?
As best I can tell it's a straight popular vote, but because of how the counting works you get results by county/city/town/whatever en masse. Hence Sunderland/Newcastle/Gibraltar etc.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elheru Aran wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Ouch- unexpectedly strong win for "Leave" in Sunderland (about 61%).

Fretting about it as it's going on won't do you any good. What matters is how it all turns out in the end. I'd say turn off the computer and go have a beer (or beverage of your choice) and watch some Netflix, man :)
Its actually rather entertaining to follow the results, in a strange way.

I don't know, following elections is the closest I get to how other people feel about competitive sports. Except that the results matter far more, which can cut into the entertainment value somewhat.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Leave ahead again by almost 7,000. Looks like a long, close night.

Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Someone please give me something to be optimistic about :( :(
What is WRONG with you people
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

What sites are you guys using to track the results?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Patroklos wrote:What sites are you guys using to track the results?
I'm mainly using the BBC channel.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Shit fuck. Leave is up 53-47% now, or over 140,000 votes.

What is wrong with these people?

Oh well. Lots of votes still to be counted, but Leave seems to be repeatedly outperforming expectations.

streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Starting to look like interesting times ahead.

Imo if Leave wins this will have been decided by traditional Labour voters in the North and Midlands who feel abandoned by their party and by the establishment, both at EU and UK level. The same voters that they have lost to the Nationalists in Scotland who can provide easy answers and a convenient scapegoat.

If UKIP can emulate the SNP and put on the clothes of a centre left populist party rather than a bunch of eccentrics deemed too crazy for the Tory party they could reduce Labour to a London-only party,,,
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

The Romulan Republic wrote: What is wrong with these people?
They're all wearing rose tinted glasses, dreaming of bringing back an idyllic Britain that never existed.

This sums up their mentality and makes me laugh.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I still have hope that Leave will fail, but the mere fact that its done as well as it has is disturbing.

I don't like to think about the potential political and economic ramifications.

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Glasgow and Oxford are in, London starting to report in, swings back to 50.8-49.2 Remain.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Narrowed again, Remain still slightly in the lead.

Edit: Discussion on BBC about Cameron's political future. Even a really close vote surely reflects badly on him.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

A few tens of thousands difference at present out of millions reported. I wonder if there'll be recounts.

Today (Yesterday now) I voted Remain then at work one of my co-workers had lost her polling card; she was planning to vote Leave. I found it and returned it to her; it's awkward when the just and right thing to do actually feels so self-destructive.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

NecronLord wrote:A few tens of thousands difference at present out of millions reported. I wonder if there'll be recounts.

Today (Yesterday now) I voted Remain then at work one of my co-workers had lost her polling card; she was planning to vote Leave. I found it and returned it to her; it's awkward when the just and right thing to do actually feels so self-destructive.
Good for you. The sanctity of the vote should supersede partisan divisions in all but the most extreme cases (like a hypothetical where the genocide party wins a majority or something equally extreme).

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

150,000 votes down for Remain. Joy.

At least my area voted to Remain. Well, with just over 70,000 votes cast, Remain won by just over a thousand, I'd say that's pretty damn close.

EDIT: Make that 200,000 votes behind. I'm starting to get worried here.

EDIT 2: Now 310,000 down. Fuck this, I need a smoke and a glass of Scotch.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.