Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Re: Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

Post by Darth Nostril »

And the pound is dropping like a stone, down over 5% already.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Questions for anyone here more informed on this subject than I:

1. Is it still realistic for Remain to win at this point?

2. a. If Britain leaves, what are the chances that, after likely crippling its economy and losing Scotland, it'll come crawling back begging for readmitance at some point in the future?

2. b. What are the chances that it would be let back in? :twisted:

3. What happens to Cameron's political future if he loses this?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Questions for anyone here more informed on this subject than I:

2. a. If Britain leaves, what are the chances that, after likely crippling its economy and losing Scotland, it'll come crawling back begging for readmitance at some point in the future?

and 4. What would happen to the EU? Would the status quo remain, just minus the UK? Or would be a serious push for major reforms seeing as one of their largest members voted to leave, and others may follow suit?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Questions for anyone here more informed on this subject than I:

and 4. What would happen to the EU? Would the status quo remain, just minus the UK? Or would be a serious push for major reforms seeing as one of their largest members voted to leave, and others may follow suit?
I'm also a little concerned about the possibility of larger economic repercussions, given how interconnected the global economy is.

I mean, I don't wish to sound alarmist, but are we looking at another recession here? That could have serious repercussions for the US election as well (i.e. the Obama administration, and by extension the Democrats, being blamed by voters and Trump going up in the polls-basically a reverse of what happened in 2008).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Sure only about 14 million votes are counting so far out of a possible 45 million and its 51% split. But if it opens up much more then the chances will be slim.

Low because the EU is in for a long rough road no matter what. Also Scotland may say it wants to leave, but the Spanish and to a lesser extend Romania and several other states would all have reason to oppose Scotland entering the EU, because they do no wish to encourage their own separatist.
Too many variables to claim anything on that. A quick readmitance would not be permitted, but past 10 years god only knows. A lot of that will be dependent on the future performance of the Eurozone. As in that could still fail on a large scale.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Edinburg coming in narrowed it a bit again.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Guy on the BBC was saying that there was unexpectedly low turnout in Scotland, which basically means Remains hopes depend on London turnout.

Unfortunately, there were reports of London getting hit with bad weather. I'm going to be pissed if fucking rain ends up deciding this.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Remain is still down by half a million votes.

And yeah, if rain does decide this I'll be pretty pissed too. Though it would possibly be the most British outcome I can think of.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

1. Still 55% of votes to be counted.

2. a. Very high probability of voters remorse when the economy tanks and Boris et al show themselves to be completely fucking corrupt and incompetent.

2. b. Not a fucking chance. Various leading European politicians have stated "once you're out you're staying out" or words to that extent.

3. He's out. Despite the sudden show of solidarity behind the PM from the Leave campaign I'm guessing he'll get the ball rolling on the Brexit, invoke Clause 50 as soon as possible in spite of the Leave campaign begging him not to, then stand down and leave the whole mess in their hands.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

My weird shit NSFW
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Leave's lead has narrowed to 418,000 in just a few minutes. London is speaking it seems.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Here's hoping for a narrow win, and that being enough to shake confidence in Pig Fucker Cameron's leadership.

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

The problem with shaking confidence in Pig Fucker Hameron is that opens the door to the next PM being a big blond haired baby, also that mass murdering cunt Ignorant Dickheed Smith getting a more prestigious and powerful Cabinet posting so he can fuck over even more of Britain.

My weird shit NSFW
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Darth Nostril wrote:The problem with shaking confidence in Pig Fucker Hameron is that opens the door to the next PM being a big blond haired baby, also that mass murdering cunt Ignorant Dickheed Smith getting a more prestigious and powerful Cabinet posting so he can fuck over even more of Britain.
Is Cameron really the best the British can hope for?

All the British citizens on this forum have my sincere sympathies.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Great, as if Farage wasn't insufferable enough already, he's gonna be a nightmare, again he's quoting Independence Day. I think this sums things up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JocgerVkCg
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Leave has broken 10 million votes, Remain down by 410,000 or so.

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Darth Nostril wrote:The problem with shaking confidence in Pig Fucker Hameron is that opens the door to the next PM being a big blond haired baby, also that mass murdering cunt Ignorant Dickheed Smith getting a more prestigious and powerful Cabinet posting so he can fuck over even more of Britain.
Is Cameron really the best the British can hope for?

All the British citizens on this forum have my sincere sympathies.
In the short term, unfortunately yes.

Long term our best hope is Corbyn but we'll have to wait for another general election before that day can dawn.

Until then it really is choosing the lesser of two evils when it comes to corrupt right wing fuckwits.

My weird shit NSFW
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Damn, Leave has jumped to over half a million ahead. Its far from over, but it now seems the likely winner. :(

I'm now wondering how high a price the rest of the world will pay for the stupidity and xenophobia of the British electorate if the worst comes to pass.

Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

Assuming that the electorate is stupid does no one any favors and accomplishes nothing. Just makes the other side mad and less likely to come round to your way of thinking, and it makes you appear in public as a pompous ass. Or so I feel about it.

10,996,500 Leave - to - 10,363,816 Remain

Passed 600k, which is bad. Seems settled at this point to me, unless something breaks through fairly soon.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Prannon wrote: 10,996,500 Leave - to - 10,363,816 Remain

Passed 600k, which is bad. Seems settled at this point to me, unless something breaks through fairly soon.
Most of the uncounted seems to be in England. What does that have people willing to guess?
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Given most of the upsets regarding initial polls have gone to Leave, it would appear a done deal. Even with some of London left 500K plus will be really hard to overcome unless Remain gets some upsets of their own.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

It's not 500k anymore but 796K, Leave has gained another 200k, it looks like Leave is a done deal.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton