Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Re: Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

Post by Darth Nostril »

J wrote:Well...I guess it's time to start drinking. Heavily.
Way ahead of you.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

The Romulan Republic wrote:One week ago, a pro-EU, pro-refugee British MP was viciously murdered by a pro-Brexit Neo-Nazi terrorist.

And tonight, it appears, the British electorate has chosen to side with the Nazi.

Yes, I know not all Brexit voters are fascists. But that juxtaposition is, to me, rather striking.
Idiotic Godwin's Law arguments like this are probably a significant part of why Remain got their shit pushed in, and you still don't seem to realize that.
Truth fears no trial.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Oh fuck off you twat, the morons already won. No need to rub it in.

Wanker.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

So if I understand the way uk referendums work, the house of lords could stop this because it's counts as an act of Parliament, right?
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Not by that much of a clear win.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I may have woken up my house with a rather loud 'fucks sake'

The only brightside I see is that Farrage loses 95% of his party funds. That's it. Pyrrhic victory/defeat.

Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Judging by my FB feed, my GCSE chums did a lot for this (net positive) result.

Someone better DHL Herr Merkel some comfort linzertorte, she's probably having a rough time of it. :D
Kinyo
Youngling

Post by Kinyo »

Dominus Atheos wrote:So if I understand the way uk referendums work, the house of lords could stop this because it's counts as an act of Parliament, right?
The most the Lords can do is delay and act not kill it outright. There is a piece of legislation that allows the Commons to force through an act that was used during the fox hunting ban.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Oh fucking hell.
My job looks wobbly now and the wife will probably lose hers.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Nice to see the boomers being consistent, I'll at least give them that. Fucking over everyone else in their tantrums over it not still being the mid-80's seems to be the standard.

Sympathies to the British people.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

And now the pounds is its lowest in 31 years.

For fuck's sake.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

*holds head in hands*

Fuck.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Dominus Atheos wrote:So if I understand the way uk referendums work, the house of lords could stop this because it's counts as an act of Parliament, right?
Technically a referendum in the UK is only advisory. The government don't have to do anything about the results of a referendum other than say "right, thanks for your feedback, we'll take it into account in our future decisions".

Since that would get them destroyed at the next general election, in actuality they would have to honour the result.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So Cameron could theoretically just say "fuck it"?

I'm very, very rarely for ignoring the results of a vote, even if its legally permitted to do so, but I'd be tempted to support Cameron if he did that here. Given the way the pound and the stock markets are plummeting, it could be seen as a national/international emergency.

But I would never expect him to do it. Cameron does not strike me as a man to fall on his proverbial sword for the good of the country/world, or to show any kind of strong leadership whatsoever.

Edit: Not that he has any career left, as it turns out. Just hit the news that he's resigning.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on 2016-06-24 03:24am, edited 1 time in total.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

streetad wrote:
Technically a referendum in the UK is only advisory. The government don't have to do anything about the results of a referendum other than say "right, thanks for your feedback, we'll take it into account in our future decisions".

Since that would get them destroyed at the next general election, in actuality they would have to honour the result.
Right, which is why I brought up the House of Lords. This is there job, isn't it (insofar as they have a job)? Put the brakes on poorly-thought-out acts of the House of Commons?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It wouldnt do any good if he did. Without eurosceptics he has no majority. They'd get him chucked out andc replaced with someone who would action it and talking about mandates from the people to do it.

You know percentagewise it was prety close. 52 to 48. Thats closer than the scots was and that was treated as close. And with a 70 percent turn out well once again a third of the nation decides its course.

Off course i would be complaining if that third had been remain.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Cameron just said he's off by autumn. New Tory leader in place in time for the conference.

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Well, let's start talking consequences. Other countries on the mainland have already had nationalist party leaders call for their own referendī in response to the successful Brexit vote. Cameron is out, with presumably a new general election to be called. Will Tories hold Parliament? Will Scotland call for another separation referendum in short order? Northern Ireland? Wales? Is this a sign that the EU could be headed toward more general breakup, or is this the country that's always been holding the EU at arm's length (cf. currency) taking a step back, not a sign of greater trouble to come?
Kinyo
Youngling

Post by Kinyo »

Terralthra wrote:Well, let's start talking consequences. Other countries on the mainland have already had nationalist party leaders call for their own referendī in response to the successful Brexit vote. Cameron is out, with presumably a new general election to be called. Will Tories hold Parliament? Will Scotland call for another separation referendum in short order? Northern Ireland? Wales? Is this a sign that the EU could be headed toward more general breakup, or is this the country that's always been holding the EU at arm's length (cf. currency) taking a step back, not a sign of greater trouble to come?
Minor point but most of Wales voted leave.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

The important thing now is momentum. The EU elite will ramp up the sneering condecension and hatred of the UK to the absolute max, and will attempt to punnish the UK for leaving in every way they can. From their perspective, leaving must be made to appear a disaster, this must be a fluke incident of no real importance, otherwise other countries will be close behind. For the sake of freedom and Europeans as a whole, we need to see another country leave, ideally the Netherlands, Italy or (long shot but possible) France. That would start a chain reaction that would destroy the EU, at least in its current form; and in the mean time it would double the cost to Germany vs what they were paying pre-Brexit.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

:lol: Hate of Britain? I guess pity is more appropriate.

It is funny that none of the countries that suffered because of the EU (Spain, Ireland, Greece, Portugal) left, but Britain went out with a loud slam of the door.

Well, out is out. Who needs America Jr anyway?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Dartzap wrote:Cameron just said he's off by autumn. New Tory leader in place in time for the conference.
So Boris Johnson PM.

Day keeps getting better and better [/sarcasm]
Terralthra wrote:vote. Cameron is out, with presumably a new general election to be called
No general election is needed. The Conservative Party elects a new leader to become PM themselves. So long as they can pass budgets etc. they remain in power.
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2016-06-24 04:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

eta: fuck that was supposed to be an edit
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

As long as the EU doesn't do anything petty and spiteful, I'm hopeful that the initial panic and downturn in the markets will just be a knee-jerk reaction. There's no reason why the UK has to do something that would lose Maddoctor and his wife their jobs - as long as both sides act like adults and try to maintain the benefits of friendly cross-Channel relations despite the UK no longer being under the EU's jurisdiction, the damage should be minimal.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

CNN commentator Van Jones goes on a epic rant about the Brexit, essentially blaming liberal complacency and low turnout and saying that this is a warning that Trump could win:

https://www.facebook.com/vanjones/video ... 077469910/

He has a deliberately over the top style, but if you can look past that, I think he has a valid point.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.