The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Have we seen anyone else targeted by the sheer number of bullshit investigations Hillary Clinton has been subjected to? They've got a special level of animosity for her. I'm fully expecting them to be even worse than they've been with Obama. Which is why I really, really hope we can unseat as many of the motherfuckers as possible this election cycle. Trump may poison Utah badly enough to give Democrats here a chance! Tons of people could well stay home because they cannot stomach Trump or Clinton, and either don't know who Gary Johnson is or think he'd legalize weed and scary black men would run amok, raping our white women. Or some other bullshit. Utah is super Republican, and part of the Republican-ness is a hatred of the drugs and sexual freedom. A common perception of libertarians, which Johnson claims to be (but actually isn't), is that they're a bunch of drugged out idiots.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Have we seen anyone else targeted by the sheer number of bullshit investigations Hillary Clinton has been subjected to? They've got a special level of animosity for her.
There were 9 on the same subject. In which Hillary's position was not one that had direct hands-on control anyway- it involved people in her department and defense handled by a different department.

Having multiple BS investigations is itself pretty stand-out. Having one turn up nothing, then insisting on 8 more is an extra kind of special.

That's not even getting into past stuff.
I'm fully expecting them to be even worse than they've been with Obama.
I'm fully expecting them to be worse every election cycle til they choke themselves out.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Speaking of Republican hatred for Hillary Clinton, Trump advisor Al Baldasaro is being investigated by the Secret Service for saying that Clinton should be executed for treason by a firing squad.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-c ... ts-n613601
The Secret Service said Wednesday that they are looking into New Hampshire State Senator Al Baldasaro after he called for Hillary Clinton's execution for "treason."

Baldasaro is an adviser to the Trump campaign for veteran's issues and has appeared at Trump campaign events. He called for Clinton's execution by firing squad for her use of a private email server when she was secretary of state.

Al Baldasaro
"The U.S. Secret Service is aware of this matter and will conduct the appropriate investigation," Secret Service spokesman Robert Hoback told NBC News in a statement Wednesday.

Baldasaro first made the comments on the Jeff Kuhner radio show Tuesday, and stood by his words when confronted.

Trump campaign aide Hope Hicks told NBC News "of course Mr. Trump does not feel this way" when asked to respond to Baldasaro's comments.

The violent rhetoric towards the presumptive Democratic nominee has escalated this week, particularly at the Republican National Convention where political figures are calling for her punishment — ranging from spankings to public hangings.
When I read shit like this, I honestly start to wonder if American can expect Erdogan-style purges of the opposition of these fuckers win.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Speaking of Republican hatred for Hillary Clinton, Trump advisor Al Baldasaro is being investigated by the Secret Service for saying that Clinton should be executed for treason by a firing squad.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-c ... ts-n613601
The Secret Service said Wednesday that they are looking into New Hampshire State Senator Al Baldasaro after he called for Hillary Clinton's execution for "treason."

Baldasaro is an adviser to the Trump campaign for veteran's issues and has appeared at Trump campaign events. He called for Clinton's execution by firing squad for her use of a private email server when she was secretary of state.

Al Baldasaro
"The U.S. Secret Service is aware of this matter and will conduct the appropriate investigation," Secret Service spokesman Robert Hoback told NBC News in a statement Wednesday.

Baldasaro first made the comments on the Jeff Kuhner radio show Tuesday, and stood by his words when confronted.

Trump campaign aide Hope Hicks told NBC News "of course Mr. Trump does not feel this way" when asked to respond to Baldasaro's comments.

The violent rhetoric towards the presumptive Democratic nominee has escalated this week, particularly at the Republican National Convention where political figures are calling for her punishment — ranging from spankings to public hangings.
When I read shit like this, I honestly start to wonder if American can expect Erdogan-style purges of the opposition of these fuckers win.
Christ, can we get you a CT of "Chicken Little"? The sky isn't falling.

That said, I'm glad the secret service is giving this assclown a talking to, which is about the most they ever do, if that.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

A better question would be weather you can go five pages in the same thread as me without trying to pick a fight.

Maybe Trump won't win. Maybe he won't be able to make himself a tyrant if he does. Maybe he won't even try.

But the fact that one of his advisors is calling for his political opponent to be shot does have some definite third world junta vibes, even if that's as far as it ever goes.

Edit: I would also say that, while I would not be so arrogant as to make any definite predictions about the future, as a rule, I believe that one of the most dangerous attitudes in the world is the smug, complacent self-assurance that "it can never happen here". America is not so much innately better than the rest of the world that we are immune to such evils.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:A better question would be weather you can go five pages in the same thread as me without trying to pick a fight.

Maybe Trump won't win. Maybe he won't be able to make himself a tyrant if he does. Maybe he won't even try.

But the fact that one of his advisors is calling for his political opponent to be shot does have some definite third world junta vibes, even if that's as far as it ever goes.

Edit: I would also say that, while I would not be so arrogant as to make any definite predictions about the future, as a rule, I believe that one of the most dangerous attitudes in the world is the smug, complacent self-assurance that "it can never happen here". America is not so much innately better than the rest of the world that we are immune to such evils.
I'm not "picking a fight" I'm just sick of the breathless doomsaying.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I think 'do everything they can to force not-their-people out of power,' is the more likely. Unless things really go south.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah.

Its just that the Republicans seem to keep getting more and more insane. One wonders how much further they will go before they hit rock bottom.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Gandalf wrote:Just saw Mike Pence do his speech. I think the best thing I can say about him is that he looks like Gary Cole doing a comedy character.

Though he makes me wonder what the fuck is up with Indiana for voting for this guy.
A lot of Republicans vote automatically for Republicans, it's a heavily red state even if it did go to Obama once or twice. After Daniels left office Pence is who the Republicans nominated and who most Republicans voted for without looking at him too hard. Hence, more than one recall/impeachment petition against him in the works, which might be one reason he lept so hard when Trump made his offer. He said one thing during his campaign, making a big deal about continuing Daniel's legacy, then turned around and did another once he was elected. He is far-right religious and that's his agenda.

Basically, after a truly moderate Republican like Mitch Daniels the state wound up with a far-right one.

This might mean we get a Democratic governor here given how little time the Republicans have to find a replacement candidate.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Flagg wrote:Christ, can we get you a CT of "Chicken Little"? The sky isn't falling.

That said, I'm glad the secret service is giving this assclown a talking to, which is about the most they ever do, if that.
Uh-huh... we'll just ignore the ones that have literally taken a bullet intended for someone else.

Mostly they just talk to threat-makers because most of the time it really is just talk. Would you prefer they drag people into dark alleys and beat them or something?

No, I don't expect "purges" after this election regardless of who wins because our system has various checks and balances but there are always people in politics who want to go down that road.

The doom-saying is inevitable, it happens every damn election.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Michael Moore things Trump will win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxzQWIvD0ek
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Broomstick wrote:
Flagg wrote:Christ, can we get you a CT of "Chicken Little"? The sky isn't falling.

Uh-huh... we'll just ignore the ones that have literally taken a bullet intended for someone else.

Mostly they just talk to threat-makers because most of the time it really is just talk. Would you prefer they drag people into dark alleys and beat them or something?

No, I don't expect "purges" after this election regardless of who wins because our system has various checks and balances but there are always people in politics who want to go down that road.

The doom-saying is inevitable, it happens every damn election.
I wasn't badmouthing the secret service, though I can see how it comes across that way. TBH, they are about the only law enforcement organization I respect.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Gandalf wrote:Just saw Mike Pence do his speech. I think the best thing I can say about him is that he looks like Gary Cole doing a comedy character.

Though he makes me wonder what the fuck is up with Indiana for voting for this guy.
Like Broomstick said, Indiana's a pretty conservative state state. More importantly, it's been a Republican stronghold for as there's been a Republican Party. Dems occasionally win out there (they held the governor's office for 16 years prior to 2004), but IIRC they haven't elected a liberal statewide since the Nixon administration.

That said, Mike Pence is such a colorless potatoheaded doofus that he nearly lost his initial election campaign the first time around. Had John Gregg had a little bit more money or had Obama campaigned in that state again, Pence might very well have lost. As is, Gregg's creeping up on Pence and had a pretty solid shot of beating him.

Now the state GOP has to choose which candidate will replace Pence on the ballot. Given that it's Indiana, they have a choice between sensible hard-right Republicans, or goofy dipshit hard-right Republican. It remains to be seen how effective they'll be.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

cosmicalstorm wrote:Michael Moore things Trump will win
He said Romney would win too, IIRC.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Q99 wrote:It is interesting to note Hillary has never been charged with a crime. That's not just not-convincing, that's not even charged or indicted for anything. Heck, even Comey pretty much said that he'd charge her if he could but they never charge people for that kind of thing.

People really, really want her charged with crimes. People with the powers to do so. Either she already controls government (she doesn't), or she's actually not guilty of what she's accused of. Guilty of making mistakes and misjudgements and violating policy to be sure, but nothing on the levels accused.
Yeah. That's pretty nuch it.

It's like, some people look at all the accusations against Clinton since 1993 and say "where there's all this smoke, there must be some fire."

But other people (sensibly, I think) notice that there are a bunch of people jumping up and down, waving smoke grenades, and otherwise trying to dirty up the air. And they conclude "there cannot possibly be THIS much smoke, and much of the smoke is obviously fake, so the logical conclusion is that there is NO fire and ALL the smoke is fake."

There comes a certain point at which targeting an enemy with negative politics and attack ads start to backfire, and Hillary Clinton may well be beyond this point as far as Republican attempts to destroy her reputation go. Because it's gotten to the point where even when something should tarnish her reputation, it has no real effect, because of all the previous false-alarm scandals and trumped-up accusations that have been thrown at her without ever sticking.
Michael Moore is a professional maker of drama.

He's right to say Trump has the potential to win, but in my opinion the evidence does not support his claim that Trump will win.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Donny Jingles is gaining in the polls - 538 gives him a 40% chance of winning. But this is right after the VP announcement and the convention, so that's to be expected. The electoral math is still not favorable for him unless he makes significant gains in all swing states. Here's a battleground map with states filled in that I think will stay blue this year - in this scenario, even with OH, VA, NC, and FL, he still needs another one to clinch.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Dalton wrote:Donny Jingles is gaining in the polls - 538 gives him a 40% chance of winning. But this is right after the VP announcement and the convention, so that's to be expected. The electoral math is still not favorable for him unless he makes significant gains in all swing states. Here's a battleground map with states filled in that I think will stay blue this year - in this scenario, even with OH, VA, NC, and FL, he still needs another one to clinch.
See here's the thing the convention from start to finish was a complete disaster of a PR effort between the plagarism, the non-endorsements, the minor acts of violence and the fact the theme of the Republican shindig was FEAR.

And he still gains in the polls. Lets all think back to the last part of May first part of June when he was doing horribly and look forward to the debates in a months time.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Mr Bean wrote:See here's the thing the convention from start to finish was a complete disaster of a PR effort between the plagarism, the non-endorsements, the minor acts of violence and the fact the theme of the Republican shindig was FEAR.

And he still gains in the polls. Lets all think back to the last part of May first part of June when he was doing horribly and look forward to the debates in a months time.
Man, you've become quite the Trump booster over the last two months.

We wouldn't see any losses from the convention since: A. the polls haven't been in the field long enough to pick up any lagging negative press, B. pretty much everyone gets a convention bump, regardless of how garbage/tone-deaf the convention might be, C. the convention *is still going on*.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

maraxus2 wrote: Man, you've become quite the Trump booster over the last two months.
Last two months? I've been talking about Trump's ability to ignore political rules for three threads and six months now. He's fascinating in the way a roadside accident causes rubbernecking. That and the continuous ability for people to underestimate him and him to break the political rules of what you can get away with.
maraxus2 wrote: We wouldn't see any losses from the convention since: A. the polls haven't been in the field long enough to pick up any lagging negative press, B. pretty much everyone gets a convention bump, regardless of how garbage/tone-deaf the convention might be, C. the convention *is still going on*.
There goes that assumption again, it does not matter how complete and utter garbage the convention is and let's be honest they don't have a top ten list of worst conventions only because the 1960's convention was so bad as to make every other convention look amazing and frankly the only reason the Trumpvention has not been worse is the lack of large scale demonstrator violence.

Even still, even after three of the four runners up failed to endorse him he still gets a popularity boost and gains on Secretary Clinton, that is pure unmitigated insanity.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So what's his point?

We've already lost, so don't bother turning out to vote and make sure I'm right?

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
So what's his point?

We've already lost, so don't bother turning out to vote and make sure I'm right?
Moore is a professional shit-stirrer. Sometimes he's better than others, but in this case he's just doom-and-glooming.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Trump has implied that he will not defend our NATO allies if they fall behind on their bills. Nuclear war is actually on the table, folks.

(Note: I wouldn't say it's likely. But that statement is far and away the most irresponsible comment on foreign policy made by a US politician since the fall of the Soviet Union.)
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Hasn't Trump previously thrown out the idea of withdrawing from NATO altogether?

I'd say there's a reason he and Putin are so chummy with each other.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

FireNexus wrote:Trump has implied that he will not defend our NATO allies if they fall behind on their bills. Nuclear war is actually on the table, folks.

(Note: I wouldn't say it's likely. But that statement is far and away the most irresponsible comment on foreign policy made by a US politician since the fall of the Soviet Union.)
That actually makes nuclear war less likely if a chance actually existed, at least between the U.S. And Russia. How exactly does this increase the likelyhood of nuclear war?

Just so we are all clear, there is nothing this election can cause that will increase the likelyhood of nuclear war from the current 0%.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Jesus, is the trump commercial going to be one parade of young women with empty eyes after the other?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs