The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crown
NARF

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Crown »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Actually, you are just flat out wrong here. Until the late 1970s, the Evangelicals were not politically active, they viewed politics as worldly and thus dirty. Most of them did not even vote. The Southern Baptist Convention was in favor of Roe v Wade because for them it was a separation of church and state issue. That changed because the republican party actively courted them and actively lobbied them to change their mind on the issue of abortion. This is where Jerry Falwell got his start in politics, he was an early adopter.
Well the highlighted is just flat out wrong, but you're viewing it as Evangelicalism beginning with Jerry Falwell, so I can understand why you say it.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:The White Nationalist vote also always held these views, but they too were actively courted by the GOP.

In subsequent years, they have continued to radicalize both groups even further.

The Evangelicals... only some of them loathe trump. Remember, there is a high degree of overlap between White Nationalists and Evangelicals.
Well it's a 50% split apparently, I'd classify that as more than 'only some'.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
At any stage of the Republican debates if you took a screenshot and asked people to point out who was the 'Tea Party candidate' you'd get a near unanimous consensus on Ted Cruz. I think you know this, and I think you're smart enough to understand that I wasn't arguing that Trump was the 'centrist candidate', but the 'outsider'. So this was a lot of wasted time.
Cruz was the one they expected to be the Tea Party candidate. He was not the one the Tea Party ultimately lined up for. Remember, the Tea Party largely consists of White Nationalists.
Cruz also had the establishment (and birther - as in born in Canada not hounding Obama) taint on him, his wife works for Goldman and Sachs, pretty hard for him to appeal to the Tea Party as 'one of them' when standing next to Trump.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
I don't think people are appreciating how much the working (and more worryingly middle) class are willing to go with Trump at this stage. We'll see when more accurate polling data, but this is getting beyond people responding to racism. I'm viewing this as Brexit 2.0.
It is also fairly early and I think you are over-estimating just how much of the population is going for Trump. Consider:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5952.html

Trump has problems staying above 36-37%. About that percentage of the population was still supporting Bush II at the end of his term. This is the percentage of people who will follow anything with an R next to its name as long as it has a pulse. As time goes on, I would hazard the Trump will hemorrhage even more to Hillary and the Libs, but wont drop below about 30%.
If I could predict the future, I would be playing the lottery. The fact of the matter is that Hillary should be wiping the floor with someone that has the vocabulary of a five year old, she's not. This is troubling, and it goes beyond 'angry racists', there is a real discontent among all the western electorate.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Yes, I imagine if the DNC could have found more ways to suppress the vote during the primaries Hillary would have absolutely crushed it. What a well reasoned argument there.
There is no actual evidence that there was voter suppression beyond the usual logistical fuckups that accompany pretty much every election ever. Someone in NY fucked up a database that hit everyone equally! OH NO! Arizona fucked up its logistics and overloaded some precincts! OH NO! Obviously our republican controlled election commission is a DNC puppet!

Come back to me when you have evidence that they managed to suppress ~4 million votes. If you cannot do so, shut the fuck up.
Oh do calm down precious, he made the point if we could ignore caucuses Hillary's victory would have been more impressive, it's valid to point out that if we arbitrarily restrict what we count we can make any result appear that we wish for. Bernie won most of the open caucuses (where independants got to vote in), he won them over by something like 60/40. Of course if the DNC could have further restricted the primary to voters only registered Democrats her results would have been more impressive. Hell, if they could have restricted it to just her immediate family she might have had a flawless victory! :roll:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
And yet in the video (and article the video is based on) Bernie is clearly pointing out that it's the DNC who is deciding that all that money is going to Hillary to be used against him and is clearly calling foul. You get that's not what you said was happening right?
Joint Fundraiser. If Bernie had utilized his agreement with the DNC, he could have done the same. He did not.

Might it be a little shady? It could be, hell it could even be favoritism, depending on the nature of the agreements and if they substantially differ between candidates. Is it election-rigging, money-laundering, or voter suppression? No.
Holy shit, you fucking nut bag. That video is quoting Bernie's campaign manager/lawyer (forget) who is clearly saying; "we didn't sign up to this so that this money can be used against us". A little shady? How magnanimous of you.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Starglider wrote:A Trump presidency could actually be cathartic. It would be a disaster, but a limited disaster (thanks to separation of powers) that would thoroughly discredit all the groups and trends that brought him to power, as well as hopefully forcing a significant house-cleaning on the Democratic side, purging Clinton's rather dubious support structure. The Democrats would be well placed to capture the next several presidential terms with the Republicans (a) in complete disarray and (b) hopefully on the path to a more reasonable platform. In the baseline case of Clinton winning, yes immediate disaster has been averted, but all the same trends are still in play and the Republican base will be even angrier. A significant economic crash is likely to occur in the next four years regardless; Clinton will get the blame and that risks an even worse, slicker presented Republican demagogue in the next election.
This is not a strong argument.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Starglider wrote:A Trump presidency could actually be cathartic. It would be a disaster, but a limited disaster (thanks to separation of powers) that would thoroughly discredit all the groups and trends that brought him to power, as well as hopefully forcing a significant house-cleaning on the Democratic side, purging Clinton's rather dubious support structure. The Democrats would be well placed to capture the next several presidential terms with the Republicans (a) in complete disarray and (b) hopefully on the path to a more reasonable platform. In the baseline case of Clinton winning, yes immediate disaster has been averted, but all the same trends are still in play and the Republican base will be even angrier. A significant economic crash is likely to occur in the next four years regardless; Clinton will get the blame and that risks an even worse, slicker presented Republican demagogue in the next election.
Do you have specific info that indicates this? Suspicion on the sectors that will set it off? While crashes aren't uncommon, severe ones kind of are, and I was of the impression they're essentially unpredictable.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Crown wrote:Well the highlighted is just flat out wrong, but you're viewing it as Evangelicalism beginning with Jerry Falwell, so I can understand why you say it.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Religious_right

Here is a somewhat comedic take on it. I ran it by a friend of mine who will soon be defending her dissertation on the history of the american religious right. It is fundamentally accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4AmUaLbUQ

Evangelicalism is not new. The political mobilization of Evangelicals is. The Moral Majority was founded by Jerry Falwell as the first Religious Right organization in 1979.
That is pretty much the definition of Only Some, bearing in mind the White Nationalist overlap.
If I could predict the future, I would be playing the lottery. The fact of the matter is that Hillary should be wiping the floor with someone that has the vocabulary of a five year old, she's not. This is troubling, and it goes beyond 'angry racists', there is a real discontent among all the western electorate.
She is wiping the floor with him by every standard of US politics. Arizona is poised to turn blue and Hillary is withing striking range in Texas for fuck's sake.

I am not saying there is not widespread discontent. There is. Your interpretation of what that discontent means is just hilariously off. You are arguing from a position of fundamental ignorance, because you dont even know the basic history of our political parties or the blocks that comprise them. For example, the white working class has been voting against their own economic interests for a good long while now, precisely because the republican party has been using the wedge issues related to religious conservatism and xenophobia (brown people have been the scapegoat forever, the MUSLIMS are an excellent target for drumming up fear) in order to convince them to do that. Of course they are angry. They are losing in two ways. Economically AND on social issues.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Crown wrote:Oh do calm down precious, he made the point if we could ignore caucuses Hillary's victory would have been more impressive, it's valid to point out that if we arbitrarily restrict what we count we can make any result appear that we wish for. Bernie won most of the open caucuses (where independants got to vote in), he won them over by something like 60/40. Of course if the DNC could have further restricted the primary to voters only registered Democrats her results would have been more impressive. Hell, if they could have restricted it to just her immediate family she might have had a flawless victory! :roll:
If we did not have the caucuses, we would have primary elections in those states. They would have had higher turnout with more people participating, thus being a truer reflection of the will of the vote in those states. Considering Hillary won two of the beauty contest primaries after the caucuses, it is quite likely she would have had more delegates if the primary consisted entirely of primary elections. That's my point.

Bernie used a not-very democratic institution (the caucuses) to gain more pledged delegates than his support among the Democratic Party would indicate. He ran a solid race and did very well, but he did not come close to defeating Hillary.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

FireNexus wrote:Do you have specific info that indicates this? Suspicion on the sectors that will set it off? While crashes aren't uncommon, severe ones kind of are, and I was of the impression they're essentially unpredictable.
A serious discussion of that is beyond the scope of this thread, but the most important factors; (a) both leverage (consumer and commercial) and derivatives exposure have continued to expand faster than risk management methodologies and regulatory increases can keep up, (b) central banks in most countries exhausted all normal stimulus measures and are reduced to trying historically unprecedented measures, which in turn means that (c) steadily increasing sovereign debt, particularly in eurozone and developing countries, is starting to overwhelm even the highly unconventional measures that have prevented (or rather, masked) inflationary impact for the last several years. Negative real interest rates are simply not sustainable in any vaugely free market economic system, and even temporary use is indicative of serious structural problems. This is combined with (d) China has gone through a massive boom with the characteristic malinvestment and over-lending, and is simply overdue for a crash, which will affect everyone else, and finally (e) the record interval between serious drops in the US stock market is 10 years (1991 to 2001) and it is now eight years since the 2008 crash. Contrary to the claims of UK's New Labour party in the early 2000s, the business cycle is very much still alive.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

maraxus2 wrote:
Crown wrote:Yes, I imagine if the DNC could have found more ways to suppress the vote during the primaries Hillary would have absolutely crushed it. What a well reasoned argument there.
"More ways to suppress the vote" lol. Do you have a shred of evidence for this assertion? I'm pointing out that Hillary owned Bernie during the primaries, that it wasn't close. You appear to be arguing the opposite, but have provided no evidence to this point.
Addressed in reply to Aly.
maraxus2 wrote:
Already dealt with in my reply to simon. It's not the far left I'm discussing but the working (and middle) class white people where she is absolutely fucked in.
The Democrats haven't won the white working-class vote in a presidential election since Reagan. They are the Republican base of support today and a non-factor in Hillary winning the White House. Hillary needs to keep the Obama coalition together, which she appears to be doing pretty well.
Trump is appealing more to them than Romney was, and Hillary less than Obama.
maraxus2 wrote:And she's so fucked among middle-class whites that she's currently leading Trump by 18 points in the latest CNN poll. What a disaster.
That is a 60 odd page document with no table of contents or index, cite page and table/figure item which demonstrates her ratings among middle-class whites.
maraxus2 wrote:
Meaningless comparison, as already mentioned Evangelicals are voting for Trump only because they hate Hillary more. There's a lot of that going on in this election.
This does not negate my point that Trump won with a minority of the vote, which undermines your argument that there's a widespread anti-establishment feeling going on in this election.
Trump won with a minority vote because there was a actual 'true believer' that the Evangelicals could vote for in the primary. You understand that my argument that there is a widespread anti-establishment feeling going on in this election isn't negated by it not holding true across all voting demographics all the time, right?
maraxus2 wrote:
When Congress approval ratings struggle to make it out of single fucking digit approval ratings and yet incumbents nearly always win I posit that the electorate isn't as animated/informed enough to affect their will. The same cannot be said for a Presidential election cycle that lasts (what over a year?) where you'd have to be dead not to know anything about who you could vote for. A fact that Debbie Wasserman Schultz should be fucking grateful for every day.
You don't have to know anything to want to throw the bums out. We've had anti-establishment elections before, where loads of incumbents lost their primaries or the general election. This has not happened so far. In fact, with the exception of Huelskamp, every incumbent MoC in Kansas, Missouri, and Michigan won their primary with 60%+ of the vote.

You forget that congressional primaries are often held on the same day as presidential primaries. If voters are so anti-establishment that they will show up to vote for an anti-establishment candidate, it stands to reason that at least some rabble-rousing challengers would do well in the Congressional elections. This has not happened, and would seem to undermine your argument that there is a widespread anti-establishment sentiment feeling in this election.
The article quoted showed that when voters were 'made of aware' of who DWS was her lead plummeted right? You need money and attention at getting an incumbent out. There is no way you can pretend having a 11% to 15% approval rating and getting re-elected cycle on cycle isn't an indictment on how hard it is to mount an voting insurgency.
maraxus2 wrote:
Mr Hope and Change ability to maintain high approval ratings (while politically impressive) does not an argument make as to the mood of the electorate. He also had outstanding approval ratings in the UK (higher than in the US actually), how did Brexit go again?
What the fuck does Obama's approval rating in the UK have to do with anything? I'm pointing out that if the voters were in such an anti-establishment mood, they surely wouldn't be giving Obama such a high approval rating. This is a strange argument.

It's pretty self explanatory if you clicked on the link. But if you prefer you can compare David Cameron's steady 44% before Brexit and how that turned out.
maraxus2 wrote:
Oh fuck off with the legalese, we're also discussing corruption which doesn't have any requirement to be illegal by definition but dishonest. It would have been illegal for Hillary to accept upfront X amount of money from Y persons, but if Y persons gave that same X money to the DNC who then funnel all that money to Hillary, well that's all not defeating the purpose of caping donations at all ... :roll:
Oh fuck off with your goalpost moving. You were accusing Hillary and the DNC of money laundering, not merely shifty shit. In point of fact, what she did was not illegal and effectively had no bearing on the election. As Aly pointed out, Bernie outraised her anyway.
No one is moving the goal posts arsehole. The DNC laundered money for her. This is on record now. It used perfectly legal loopholes to get around another law. Your bizarre assertion that one cannot use the term 'money laundering' without it having to mean 100% illegal is beneath discussing further.
maraxus2 wrote:
I'll answer your question just as soon as you answer mine; The DNC is supposed to be a neutral member during the primaries allowing all the prospective nominees to put forward their arguments and to be heard by the primary voters. Can you say, that in good conscience that this accurately describes what happened this time round?

You quoted it, so I know you read it. Answer it. Ta.
Ostensibly they're supposed to be neutral, but everyone knows they are not. Much the same way that everyone knew that Obama was supporting Clinton prior to coming out and actually endorsing her. Those five staffers who were talking shit about Sanders were clearly not being neutral.

I'm saying that I don't give a shit about it, apart from the fact that it had unfortunate consequences right before the DNC. I see no evidence whatever that their shit-talking cost Bernie a single vote. The fact that you pointedly did not provide evidence to that effect reinforces my belief that it does not exist.
Are you saying that the DNC giving money to Hillary so that she could run attack adds against Bernie didn't cost him a single fucking vote? That's your stance. Interesting.
maraxus2 wrote:You're creating a series of narratives about this election without a shred of evidence to support it. I have provided abundant evidence to support my arguments, most of which you've ignored.
The DNC took donations to the DNC and funnelled it exclusively to Hillary before a single vote was cast. This isn't a narrative, it's a done fact.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I saw the Warning. The Warning was Unnecessary, and thereby closed. Act like Adults, not like Trump. :banghead:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Crown wrote:Well the highlighted is just flat out wrong, but you're viewing it as Evangelicalism beginning with Jerry Falwell, so I can understand why you say it.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Religious_right

Here is a somewhat comedic take on it. I ran it by a friend of mine who will soon be defending her dissertation on the history of the american religious right. It is fundamentally accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz4AmUaLbUQ

Evangelicalism is not new. The political mobilization of Evangelicals is. The Moral Majority was founded by Jerry Falwell as the first Religious Right organization in 1979.
Billy Graham mobilising Evangelicals against JFK predates Falwell. Yes he was pro-civil rights and wasn't overly obsessed by abortion (and loathed Falwell), but as I say; you're viewing it as Evangelicalism beginning with Jerry Falwell, so I can understand why you say it.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
That is pretty much the definition of Only Some, bearing in mind the White Nationalist overlap.
I've lived in 2 different English speaking countries separated by 16,000km and 10 time zones, in neither of them is a 50/50 split classified as 'only some'.

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
She is wiping the floor with him by every standard of US politics. Arizona is poised to turn blue and Hillary is withing striking range in Texas for fuck's sake.
The one good side effect of Trump's idiocy is that Latino's might actually turn up to vote this election. Small miracles.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:I am not saying there is not widespread discontent. There is. Your interpretation of what that discontent means is just hilariously off. You are arguing from a position of fundamental ignorance, because you dont even know the basic history of our political parties or the blocks that comprise them. For example, the white working class has been voting against their own economic interests for a good long while now, precisely because the republican party has been using the wedge issues related to religious conservatism and xenophobia (brown people have been the scapegoat forever, the MUSLIMS are an excellent target for drumming up fear) in order to convince them to do that. Of course they are angry. They are losing in two ways. Economically AND on social issues.
I'm saying that while the southern poor whites traditionally always went GOP for the reasons that you mentioned, the northern poor whites would be DNC or Independent. This is the election where they might just say 'fuck it' and vote Trump because he is not establishment.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Billy Graham mobilising Evangelicals against JFK predates Falwell. Yes he was pro-civil rights and wasn't overly obsessed by abortion (and loathed Falwell), but as I say; you're viewing it as Evangelicalism beginning with Jerry Falwell, so I can understand why you say it.
At that point we are hair-splitting over what constitutes the religious right. Protestants banding together against The Dirty Papist is a bit different from that (animosity toward catholics was a thing that actually had to be actively overcome in the 70s in order to bring protestants onboard...). Suffice to say, the modern religious right as it exists as a voting block today started in the late 70s.
I'm saying that while the southern poor whites traditionally always went GOP for the reasons that you mentioned, the northern poor whites would be DNC or Independent. This is the election where they might just say 'fuck it' and vote Trump because he is not establishment.
They *could*, but they dont appear to be.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.html

You can look at the tossup states. Most of them in the North are trending toward Clinton. Those that are not have older polls that reflect the RNC bump.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

maraxus2 wrote:
Crown wrote:Oh do calm down precious, he made the point if we could ignore caucuses Hillary's victory would have been more impressive, it's valid to point out that if we arbitrarily restrict what we count we can make any result appear that we wish for. Bernie won most of the open caucuses (where independants got to vote in), he won them over by something like 60/40. Of course if the DNC could have further restricted the primary to voters only registered Democrats her results would have been more impressive. Hell, if they could have restricted it to just her immediate family she might have had a flawless victory! :roll:
If we did not have the caucuses, we would have primary elections in those states. They would have had higher turnout with more people participating, thus being a truer reflection of the will of the vote in those states. Considering Hillary won two of the beauty contest primaries after the caucuses, it is quite likely she would have had more delegates if the primary consisted entirely of primary elections. That's my point.

Bernie used a not-very democratic institution (the caucuses) to gain more pledged delegates than his support among the Democratic Party would indicate. He ran a solid race and did very well, but he did not come close to defeating Hillary.
This is awesome. This isn't "Barack Obama wouldn't have won if you don't count the black vote" it's "if caucuses were primaries instead, Hillary Clinton would almost certainly have more delegates".

This is not just erasing the caucuses and pretending that entire electorate doesn't count, it's assuming more votes for Clinton were it a primary instead, which is perfectly in line with the real world.

In fact 8 years ago Clinton supporters were saying the same thing and Obama supporters like me were saying "Thank Christ for Caucuses".
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I apologize to Flagg for saying he called Bernie Sanders a traitor. He never did.
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Crown wrote:Addressed in reply to Aly.
You did no such thing. Please provide evidence that the DNC was suppressing the vote, as the phrase "could have found more ways to suppress the vote" implies.
Trump is appealing more to them than Romney was, and Hillary less than Obama.
This is not the case. Per the 2012 exit polling, Mitt Romney won white voters by 27 points. Per the Crosstabs on CNN's most recent poll (Pg. 21,Q1), Trump leads Clinton by 14 points among whites. That's nearly half of Romney's number. Even factoring in the Margin of Error, Trump is doing worse in this poll than Romney did in the 2012 exit polling.
That is a 60 odd page document with no table of contents or index, cite page and table/figure item which demonstrates her ratings among middle-class whites.
Page 21, Q3 shows two proxies for white middle class voters. She leads among respondents making more than 50k/annually by 17 points. She leads college graduate respondents by a 10 point margin. So it's not an 18 point lead, but a 17 point lead. Mea culpa.
Trump won with a minority vote because there was a actual 'true believer' that the Evangelicals could vote for in the primary. You understand that my argument that there is a widespread anti-establishment feeling going on in this election isn't negated by it not holding true across all voting demographics all the time, right?
"A" true believer? Which one? Ben Carson? Mike Huckabee? Ted Cruz? Rick Santorum? Which one was the "true believer"? My point is that Trump won with a minority of the vote because there were 17 candidates running, all of whom were taking up different factions, and none of whom had Trump's ability to appeal to a little bit of every faction. It's impossible to say in retrospect, but I suspect that Trump would not have been able to win the Primary if there were 5 candidates, rather than 17.

And my argument doesn't "negate" yours in the sense that I've disproved it. I'm putting forth evidence for why your argument, that there is widespread anti-establishment feeling going on in this election, is rather flawed. You've put forth zero evidence to support any of your assertions.
The article quoted showed that when voters were 'made of aware' of who DWS was her lead plummeted right? You need money and attention at getting an incumbent out. There is no way you can pretend having a 11% to 15% approval rating and getting re-elected cycle on cycle isn't an indictment on how hard it is to mount an voting insurgency.
That 11-15% approval rating is for Congress as a whole, not for individual members. Local representatives are usually viewed more favorably than Congress as a whole, which helps contribute to their high re-election rate. My own Representative will have absolutely no difficulty getting re-elected this year, even if she didn't sit in an overwhelmingly Democratic seat, because she's well-liked.

I'm demonstrating that there really isn't much evidence that the American voters are more anti-establishment than usual. We hear that voters are pissed off and angry at the beltway insiders literally every election, and it isn't any more true now that Trump's managed to con his way into the Republican nomination.
It's pretty self explanatory if you clicked on the link. But if you prefer you can compare David Cameron's steady 44% before Brexit and how that turned out.
I did not click the link because it was such a non-sequitor, and it remains so. Who gives a fuck about Cameron's approval prior to Brexit? There are lots of reasons to think that Brexit and the 2016 election are fundamentally different. There are very few reasons to think that they're similar.
Are you saying that the DNC giving money to Hillary so that she could run attack adds against Bernie didn't cost him a single fucking vote? That's your stance. Interesting.
I thought we were talking about collusion as shown in the DNC emails, not her joint fundraising efforts?

In any event, I answered your question and now you answer mine. Do you have any evidence that the collusion (really shit-talking) from the DNC's emails cost Bernie a single vote? For that matter, do you have any evidence that the bullshit ads from Correct the Record or any of the other weaksauce superPACs cost him a single vote?
The DNC took donations to the DNC and funnelled it exclusively to Hillary before a single vote was cast. This isn't a narrative, it's a done fact.
You're making up a narrative about the election that is not supported by a single shred of evidence. You are apparently unable to read polls and are ignorant about how presidential elections work.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

FireNexus wrote:Jesus Christ, fuckface. Just concede. People didn't get convicted of treason for aid to the SOVIET FUCKING UNION. Because we weren't at war with them. Treason has a narrow definition. So narrow that there is no might. He did not, under any circumstances or by any currently accepted legal definition, commit treason. Even if he straight up went to Putin and coordinated with him.

Now shut the fuck up about it, you fucking moron.
Am I the only one puzzled by the way those who support the Democrats are coughing up the rhetorical furballs of Ann "thrax" Coulter?
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Crown wrote:I'm saying that while the southern poor whites traditionally always went GOP for the reasons that you mentioned, the northern poor whites would be DNC or Independent. This is the election where they might just say 'fuck it' and vote Trump because he is not establishment.
There is no evidence for this happening yet. As it happens, there is substantial evidence that the GOP's former base in the South, namely college-educated suburban whites, are swinging towards Clinton and away from Trump. This is one reason why Virginia is looking solidly in Clinton's camp, while North Carolina and even even Georgia look swingy as hell this year.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Crown wrote:The DNC took donations to the DNC and funnelled it exclusively to Hillary before a single vote was cast. This isn't a narrative, it's a done fact.
The Joint Fundraiser is a way to get around individual limits on campaign donations. It is INTENDED to go mostly to the candidate with whom the fundraiser is held (with some going to the DNC's general election war chest). Both major candidates had the opportunity to use this method. Only one of them actually did.

If there is a race to build a tree house and two identical sets of tools are laid out before two people, and only one of them decides to use the hammer, the other person has no grounds to cry foul.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Crown wrote:The DNC took donations to the DNC and funnelled it exclusively to Hillary before a single vote was cast. This isn't a narrative, it's a done fact.
The Joint Fundraiser is a way to get around individual limits on campaign donations. It is INTENDED to go mostly to the candidate with whom the fundraiser is held (with some going to the DNC's general election war chest). Both major candidates had the opportunity to use this method. Only one of them actually did.

If there is a race to build a tree house and two identical sets of tools are laid out before two people, and only one of them decides to use the hammer, the other person has no grounds to cry foul.
What if I told you I was going to build you and your out of state cousins each a treehouse but all I did was nail a single plank to a tree in each of their yards and built myself a three story tree house in my own backyard.

In theory the victory fund was method of donating large sums of money to state parties and getting access to the Clinton's at the same time. But that's funny enough not even the real point since the idea is that building the tree houses was the problem in the first place since the Victory fund was a method by which the DNC bypassed campaign finance limits.

No matter which way you look at it, Clinton raising money for state parties and spending it on herself or of course Clinton was raising money to spend on herself... Both ways are bad in their own special way.

Or to put it a third way

Either
A. The DNC collaborated with the Clinton campaign to take money raised for the DNC to instead be spent on Clinton despite them claiming to be neutral in Clinton VS Sanders
OR
B. The DNC collaborated with the Clinton campaign to bypass campaign donation limits for the national campaigns (And would have done so for Sanders had he joined in)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Oof.
Clinton surges to big lead in McClatchy-Marist poll

Hillary Clinton has surged to a 15-point lead over reeling, gaffe-plagued Donald Trump, according to a new McClatchy-Marist poll.

Clinton made strong gains with two constituencies crucial to a Republican victory – whites and men — while scoring important gains among fellow Democrats, the poll found.

Clinton not only went up, but Trump went down. Clinton now has a 48-33 lead, a huge turnaround from her narrow 42-39 advantage last momth.

The findings are particularly significant because the poll was taken after both political conventions ended, and as Trump engaged in a war of words with the parents of Army Capt. Humayun Khan, killed in the Iraq War 12 years ago.

“This is coming off the Democratic convention, where a bounce is expected,” said Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion in New York, which conducted the nationwide survey.

“What you don’t want is to have the worst week of your campaign” – a characterization many analysts use to describe Trump’s recent days.

Other polls have shown Clinton in the lead, though Marist’s is the largest so far.

Among poll respondents, Clinton was seen more often as a potential president. Fifty-three percent said they would find her acceptable; 39 percent felt that way about Trump.

In a four way race, Clinton retains her lead. She gets 45 percent to Trump’s 31 percent. Libertarian Gary Johnson has 10 percent and the Green Party’s Jill Stein has 6 percent.

The new survey showed Clinton has cut sharply into the Republican nominee’s advantages in every ethnic and racial group.

After a bitter battle with rival Bernie Sanders, the independent Vermont senator whose supporters fought all the way to the convention, she’s solidified her strength among Democrats, 90 percent of whom now back her, up from 83 percent last month.

Trump gets the nod from just 79 percent of Republicans, down from 85 percent last month. Some top GOP officials have put distance between themselves and the billionaire businessman, with some saying they’ll back Clinton.

Men had been the bedrock of Trump support. Last month, he was up by 14 percentage points among men; he’s now down 8. Clinton remains strong with women, as she’s up 20.

Trump collapsed almost everywhere that he’d built decent support. Even among white voters, which favored Republican White House candidates in recent elections, Trump was lagging, ahead of Clinton, but only just barely, 41-39.

That’s a troubling finding for a Republican. 2012 Republican nominee Mitt Romney won whites by 20 points, and still lost the election. In 2008, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., won the white vote by 12 points and lost.

Clinton wins moderates, 50-27 percent. She is far ahead with black voters, 93-2 percent, and with Latinos, 55-26 percent.

More encouraging to Clinton, 57 percent of her backers say their vote is for her, while 40 percent say it’s largely an anti-Trump vote.

Most of Trump’s backers – 57 percent – say their vote is against Clinton, while 36 percent called it a pro-Trump decision.

On issue after issue, Clinton ranked ahead of Trump. She’s up by 8 when asked who can best handle the war on terror. She’s ahead 21 on immigration, 14 on gun violence, 14 on trade and 4 on creating jobs, which had been one of Trump’s strengths.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

You say oof, I say oof for another reason. Hillary Clinton is running against Donald Trump and she still on the polling roller coaster. You can look at 2012 to see what Romney V Obama matchup was like and you can look at Hillary V Trump in the previous link and see how the polling has swung.

However the interesting and concerning thing is that it's not Clinton V Trump. It's Clinton V Trump V Garry Johnson with special guest star Jill Stein.
And that polling average does bad things to both Trump and Clinton's numbers.

That said she is still ahead but we might have another President elected with 40% of the country much like her Husband was.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Mr Bean wrote:You say oof, I say oof for another reason. Hillary Clinton is running against Donald Trump and she still on the polling roller coaster. You can look at 2012 to see what Romney V Obama matchup was like and you can look at Hillary V Trump in the previous link and see how the polling has swung.

However the interesting and concerning thing is that it's not Clinton V Trump. It's Clinton V Trump V Garry Johnson with special guest star Jill Stein.

That said she is still ahead but we might have another President elected with 40% of the country much like her Husband was.
It's not really oof. It just is. Last I read the polls don't solidify for 30 days after the conventions. Thing is we haven't had THIS kind of exchange in numbers in... a while.
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Mr Bean wrote:You say oof, I say oof for another reason. Hillary Clinton is running against Donald Trump and she still on the polling roller coaster. You can look at 2012 to see what Romney V Obama matchup was like and you can look at Hillary V Trump in the previous link and see how the polling has swung.

It's not much of a rollercoaster if it varies between Clinton having a large lead and a small one. Look at your own aggregation list. Trump's only had substantial leads in two polls in the last month, and those were the LAT/USC polling (which was clearly an outlier) and the Rasmussen poll. Rasmussen has an average bias of at least two points and was such a bad in 2012 that Scott Rasmussen left his own firm.

As to Johnson and Stein, again, third party candidates usually do well in polling and then fade at the end of election day. I'd suspect that part of this is that the libertarians and greens don't have much in the way of a professional campaign.

I'll eat my boots if Clinton gets less than 48% of the vote in November.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

The polling average on 538 has her as an 80% chance to win as of now, with the latest NBC poll having her up by 9. The now-cast is even more brutal, with HRC at 91.5% to win, with a chance at turning both GA and AZ blue as well.

We're one full week out of the convention though so I'd say wait for a while. Last I heard there was an intervention at Donny Jingles HQ and they took his smartphone away.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I'll take the smartphone rumor with a grain of salt given how many times they've done that and how he's demonstrated he can fuck up a speech anyway.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

maraxus2 wrote: It's not much of a rollercoaster if it varies between Clinton having a large lead and a small one. Look at your own aggregation list. Trump's only had substantial leads in two polls in the last month, and those were the LAT/USC polling (which was clearly an outlier) and the Rasmussen poll. Rasmussen has an average bias of at least two points and was such a bad in 2012 that Scott Rasmussen left his own firm.

As to Johnson and Stein, again, third party candidates usually do well in polling and then fade at the end of election day. I'd suspect that part of this is that the libertarians and greens don't have much in the way of a professional campaign.
Rasumssen has always been terrible and it tends to get worse each election cycle no my point was more towards the trend lines being more concrete over time the swings less wild from week to week with less 5-10 point jumps in either direction. Or it could be we are starting to hit peak shitty polls when all Americans fed up about being polled about the Presidental election they already don't like start introducing non-controllable noise into the polling process.

We are at about 1 week post conventions and hillary is up by between six-ten points lets call it eight for simplicity sake and see if August 20th she still up by eight or has advanced up the polling ladder or fallen down it. The only other significant big polling movers are the debates which per 538 mark the second big official "okay the majority of Americas are paying attention to the campaign" milestone the first being the conventions.
maraxus2 wrote: I'll eat my boots if Clinton gets less than 48% of the vote in November.
I may have updated my signature because of this, look at it from my prospective. If you win you get the satisfaction of being right, if I win I get some hard core boot eating youtube action to put on the old death highlight real that plays as my life flashes before my eyes. Not that I disagree with you but still watching a grown adult human being eat boots because they were wrong is a special kind of joy.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Dalton wrote:Last I heard there was an intervention at Donny Jingles HQ and they took his smartphone away.
I would so love if this were true and came out in a valid news story.
The idea that Trump is THAT impulsive, that he cannot even be trusted with a Smartphone is simply....
...Well, I guess not THT Surprising...

As others have said it will be some time before we can write him off.. But I think the end is finally in sight...

On the right people are squawking over and over about "Everyone said Trump didn't have a chance in the primaries, but he won!"
And trying to leverage that into hope that he will somehow pull a win against Hillary.

Going back to Nate Silver, He had a recent podcast with some other commentators that specifically addressed this...
Basically Trump won, the primary, were the rabid right ate up his authoritarian "Fuck Everyone Else" attitude. But in the general elections, well it has been said for a while that such an attitude won't fly.

At the end of the day it may be 45%, maybe even 40% that eventually vote for him
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!