The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote:This sounds like a big part of the reason why (and this is important) the FBI, who had full access to virtually every relevant fact about the entire matter, decided not to prosecute and did not judge Clinton as having deliberately withheld information from them.

Bad email handling is hardly unusual, proving that there was any nefarious intent is difficult, and (like anyone with a brain and the resources to do so) Hillary delegated the actual task of identifying work-related emails and sending them in rather than trying to read sixty thousand emails herself.

Which means that if you're looking for real dirt on Clinton over this, you're going to have to look very hard and probably make a pretty respectable mountain out of the molehills you find. Which is why we get "The head of Asian investments for a major investment firm told the secretary of state he was going to testify before Congress and later that year had a meeting with the secretary oh my God the conspiracy!" There are a lot of very plausible, mundane, and boring explanations for why those two things could have happened, and no obvious reason to suspect that the boring explanation isn't true.

But when things like that are all you have in the way of evidence that anything actually wrong happened, and you've spent twenty years trying to make your target out as the Antichrist... you use what you have, even if it makes you look foolish.
The Republicans have been doing this for 25 years now with the Clintons:

Step 1: Make accusation based on hearsay.

Step 2: Demand investigation.

Step 3: Hold lengthy and dubious Congressional hearings when they hold one or both houses.

Step 4: Find the tiniest little grain of dust after years of Step 3.

Step 5: Try to turn it into a Constitutional crisis.

Step 6: Overreach causing them to look like stupid children (because they are).

Step 7: Lose both houses of the legislature.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

On the bright side, they've created so much national shock and trauma around the very idea of investigating members of the executive branch for malfeasance and crimes that their own presidential candidates have very little to fear!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I'm curious to see how his defenders will spin this one:
[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/us/politics/trump-rally.html?_r=0]The New York Times[/url]: Donald Trump Calls Obama ‘Founder of ISIS’ and Says It Honors Him wrote:SUNRISE, Fla. — A day after remarks that appeared to suggest that gun rights advocates harm Hillary Clinton, Donald J. Trump sprayed his fire at President Obama on Wednesday, accusing him of creating the Islamic State and saying the terrorist group “honors” him.

“In many respects, you know, they honor President Obama,” Mr. Trump told a raucous and rowdy crowd in Florida on Wednesday night. “He’s the founder of ISIS. He’s the founder of ISIS. He’s the founder. He founded ISIS.” He added, “I would say the co-founder would be crooked Hillary Clinton.” During an extended riff on the crisis in Crimea, Mr. Trump added extra emphasis on the president’s full name, saying that it occurred “during the administration of Barack Hussein Obama.”

Mr. Trump’s statement was an escalation in his recent criticism of the Obama administration’s handling of the terror threat, as he had previously accused only Mrs. Clinton of having a “founding” role in the terror group. His suggestion that the president was honored by ISIS recalled an earlier controversy when Mr. Trump seemingly implied that the president had some connection to the terrorist massacre of 49 people at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando.

“He doesn’t get it, or he gets it better than anybody understands,” Mr. Trump told Fox News in June. And the use of the president’s middle name recalled Mr. Trump’s questioning of Mr. Obama’s faith during his crusade several years ago to prove that Mr. Obama, who is Christian, was not born in the United States.

Mr. Trump also found himself in an awkward camera framing immediately after criticizing the Clinton campaign for the appearance of Seddique Mir Mateen, the father of the Pulse gunman, at Mrs. Clinton’s campaign event this week. “Wasn’t it terrible when the father of the animal that killed these wonderful people in Orlando was sitting with a big smile on his face right behind Hillary Clinton?” Mr. Trump said.

Yet sitting behind Mr. Trump was Mark Foley, a former Republican congressman who resigned after being confronted with sexually explicit messages he had sent to underage congressional pages. Mr. Trump seemed not to be aware of the disgraced former congressman’s presence as he tried to cast doubt on the Clinton campaign’s account that it had not known who Mr. Mateen was. “When you get those seats, you sort of know the campaign,” Mr. Trump said.

The boisterous rally here was a marked change from his rally earlier on Wednesday in Virginia, where a relatively subdued Mr. Trump promised he would be the best candidate to save the coal industry. He also said his remarks on Tuesday, in which he seemed to suggest that “Second Amendment people” could take matters into their own hands if Mrs. Clinton were elected, had been misconstrued. “They can take a little story that isn’t a story and make it into a big deal,” he said.
I think it's obvious at this point that Mr. Trump simply has no control over his mouth when he's in front of a crowd.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'd pay a bit more attention to that scum Mark Foley's presence at the rally.

But then, Trump has been accused of raping an underage girl himself. Plus objectifying and groping his own daughter.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote:On the bright side, they've created so much national shock and trauma around the very idea of investigating members of the executive branch for malfeasance and crimes that their own presidential candidates have very little to fear!
TBH, I don't think a POTUS of either party wouldn't be pardoned by their successor if charged with a felony simply to not set a precedent that could bite them in the ass.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I'd pay a bit more attention to that scum Mark Foley's presence at the rally.

But then, Trump has been accused of raping an underage girl himself. Plus objectifying and groping his own daughter.
Source?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Flagg wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I'd pay a bit more attention to that scum Mark Foley's presence at the rally.

Source?
Tabloids, seriously it's funny to see with all the shit Trump is involved in people still try to invent even more things as if the cornucopia of sleaze is not enough. It's not even he's a misogynist and thinks of his wives like accessories (To be traded in for the new model every few years) he must also be a rapist and has an incest thing with his daughter because he must be guilty of ALL sins not just most of them.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Mr Bean wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Source?
Tabloids, seriously it's funny to see with all the shit Trump is involved in people still try to invent even more things as if the cornucopia of sleaze is not enough. It's not even he's a misogynist and thinks of his wives like accessories (To be traded in for the new model every few years) he must also be a rapist and has an incest thing with his daughter because he must be guilty of ALL sins not just most of them.
Yeah, I'm with you. But I still want to see his source. The accusations are close to home for me and while being falsely accused of such acts in tabloids and them being taken seriously is no where near as bad as if he had committed them, it's still incredibly vile and sleazy. So is just posting such things as fact without a reliable source, which is why I'm kind of demanding to see TRR's at this point.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

Here are two articles about the rape accusations from the National Review and The Huffington Post. Pick your spin.

The short version is that Trump is being sued in civil court by the accuser—the allegations are past the statute of limitations for criminal court—and claims that it was when she was 13 years old and was done with convicted child rapist Jeffrey Epstein at one of his parties. Note that Trump was friends with Epstein, did attend his parties, and at one point even compared his taste in women with Epstein's. The lawsuit also claims to have a witness to the actual rape—a woman who admits to procuring these girls for Epstein to rape.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Obviously I am not saying that Trump "must" be guilty of any sexual crime, as he has not been duly convicted in a court of law. However, I do think that the fact that he has been accused of such crimes, repeatedly, is a newsworthy subject, especially when he is a major candidate for the Presidency.

The "repeatedly" part is particularly significant. One accusation might plausibly be false (though obviously still should not be ignored). When you have multiple accusers, Trump starts, much like Cosby and others who have multiple accusers, to look a lot more likely to be guilty. Its not proof by any means, but its sure as hell suspicious.

Or do you really want to be part of the "all those women must be lying" crowd that always shows up in the face of a high profile sexual assault allegation?

As for my sources:

The presence of Foley at the Trump rally is referred to in Terralthra's recent article.

Source for the Trump child molestation charge (FAIR WARNING- this article contains some fairly graphic and disturbing testimony):

http://www.inquisitr.com/3367307/why-th ... -election/

I freely acknowledge that it is hard to find good sources for this allegation, and wish to be very clear that I do not share this article's guilty until proven innocent tendencies, but I give the accusation a bit more weight than I otherwise would because it fits a pattern of multiple accusers (more on that below).

Other Trump rape allegations:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ls/474726/

This one's a detailed summary of many scandals of Trump's, but I've quoted a relevant section.
Alleged Marital Rape

Where and when: New York City, 1989

The dirt: While married to Ivana Trump, Donald Trump became angry at her—according to a book by Harry Hurt, over a painful scalp-reduction surgery—and allegedly forcibly had sex with her. Ivana Trump said during a deposition in their divorce case that she “felt violated” and that her husband had raped her. Later, Ivana Trump released a statement saying: “During a deposition given by me in connection with my matrimonial case, I stated that my husband had raped me. [O]n one occasion during 1989, Mr. Trump and I had marital relations in which he behaved very differently toward me than he had during our marriage. As a woman, I felt violated, as the love and tenderness, which he normally exhibited towards me, was absent. I referred to this as a ‘rape,’ but I do not want my words to be interpreted in a literal or criminal sense.”
So, she retracted it later, but that only says that one version must be inaccurate, not which one.

And here's another:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -interview

And Trump's objectification of his daughter:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/6/11376592/do ... how-sexism

This is hardly unknown, of course.

I think the "groping" accusation was based on something on the Daily Show, where Trump hugged Ivanka with his hands on her hips. I might overlook that normally as just an awkward hug, but tell me it isn't creepy in light of all of the above.

And while we're on the subject of people using this subject frivolously to score points (which is certainly not my intention), Mr. Bean, as a poster who once told me that I "look like a child molester" as an insult to score points in a fucking internet debate, you can get right the fuck off your high horse.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
And while we're on the subject of people using this subject frivolously to score points (which is certainly not my intention), Mr. Bean, as a poster who once told me that I "look like a child molester" as an insult to score points in a fucking internet debate, you can get right the fuck off your high horse.
It was a very poor I admit explain of me trying (In vain mind you) to get across how often you get worked up over non-issues, minor issues and actual issues. It was bad an apologize at the time for it being a poor choice of words. Not to you mind you, you still get as worked up over every damn little issue in this election because you have no outrage settings between 1-10 except a 9. Which has convinced me your going to be dead of a stress induced heart attack before fifty.

My attempt at making a point at the time was shit, my point failed to get across and now the discussion but has moved far beyond it, but I'm touched you remember.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Darth Holbytlan wrote:Here are two articles about the rape accusations from the National Review and The Huffington Post. Pick your spin.

The short version is that Trump is being sued in civil court by the accuser—the allegations are past the statute of limitations for criminal court—and claims that it was when she was 13 years old and was done with convicted child rapist Jeffrey Epstein at one of his parties. Note that Trump was friends with Epstein, did attend his parties, and at one point even compared his taste in women with Epstein's. The lawsuit also claims to have a witness to the actual rape—a woman who admits to procuring these girls for Epstein to rape.
That's pretty damning.

And TBH I'm not surprised the news media at large aren't covering the allegations (which is what they are, even if convincing) since they seem to want to play pretend and treat Donnie Douchebag Who's Face Doth Sag like he's a serious Presidential candidate and not a racist, misogynist, and overall vile POS, apparently to be "fair and balanced". :banghead:

I mean the motherfucker says something (or several things) daily that should disqualify him from ever being POTUS in the eyes of anything that possesses the ability to reason, but the beltway bastards have to have their horse race.

What will be interesting is if more accusers come forth, since a man that rapes 13 year old girls doesn't only do it once. Then again, there's always Thailand. Sick fuck. :x :finger:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Mr Bean wrote:
It was a very poor I admit explain of me trying (In vain mind you) to get across how often you get worked up over non-issues, minor issues and actual issues. It was bad an apologize at the time for it being a poor choice of words. Not to you mind you, you still get as worked up over every damn little issue in this election because you have no outrage settings between 1-10 except a 9. Which has convinced me your going to be dead of a stress induced heart attack before fifty.

My attempt at making a point at the time was shit, my point failed to get across and now the discussion but has moved far beyond it, but I'm touched you remember.
Actually, it was in response to my using the "Drumpf" nickname (a practice I have long since discontinued because I realized that it had become an ineffective form of mockery) for a certain fascist. I checked.

But it is, as you say, past. I mentioned it now only because your hypocrisy here brought it to mind again.
Flagg wrote:
Darth Holbytlan wrote:Here are two articles about the rape accusations from the National Review and The Huffington Post. Pick your spin.

That's pretty damning.

And TBH I'm not surprised the news media at large aren't covering the allegations (which is what they are, even if convincing) since they seem to want to play pretend and treat Donnie Douchebag Who's Face Doth Sag like he's a serious Presidential candidate and not a racist, misogynist, and overall vile POS, apparently to be "fair and balanced". :banghead:

I mean the motherfucker says something (or several things) daily that should disqualify him from ever being POTUS in the eyes of anything that possesses the ability to reason, but the beltway bastards have to have their horse race.

What will be interesting is if more accusers come forth, since a man that rapes 13 year old girls doesn't only do it once. Then again, there's always Thailand. Sick fuck. :x :finger:
As I said, at least three separate individuals have made a sexual assault allegation against Trump.

Unless all three are lying/exaggerating/delusional, Donald Trump has committed sexual assault.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Snip
My only issue was you not posting a source when you called him a child rapist, which is a very serious accusation. That said, the articles posted by Darth Holbytian contained enough information to make me think he likely did it, and your links saying he's been accused before provides enough information to make me take the allegation much more seriously to the point where I'm convinced he does or at least did engage in such vile, disgusting, and ultimately sub-human behavior.

But that's not nearly as important as Clinton's emails. :wanker: :roll:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Of course, if we are being impartial, their have also been rape allegations against Bill Clinton, which Hilary has been accused of complicity in covering up (Again, WARNING- the article contains some graphic accounts)-

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/6/10722580/bi ... broaddrick

Honestly, I think one of my biggest problems with Hillary is her continued association with Bill. I consider him a thoroughly odious man.

Trump, though...

Its funny, in a way, what Mr. Bean said. "Tabloids, seriously it's funny to see with all the shit Trump is involved in people still try to invent even more things as if the cornucopia of sleaze is not enough. It's not even he's a misogynist and thinks of his wives like accessories (To be traded in for the new model every few years) he must also be a rapist and has an incest thing with his daughter because he must be guilty of ALL sins not just most of them."

Because the more you look at Trump, the more it seems like almost any vice, corruption, or evil you can imagine is tied, or at least alleged to be tied, to him in some way. Many other men are evil, or do evil, but very seldom does one man so thoroughly and visibly embody so many loathsome qualities. Its as if everything vile in humanity has been distilled into this one loathsome personification of depravity and corruption. Its kind of fascinating, in a hideous way.

I think John Oliver said it best when he described Trump as "one of the ugliest souls on the planet."

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Honestly, I think one of my biggest problems with Hillary is her continued association with Bill. I consider him a thoroughly odious man.
I'd say they're made for each other, myself.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

And, seriously TRR, you need to relax with the Trump-loathing a wee bit. I consider him a thoroughly unpleasant individual and would reluctantly piss on him were he on fire, but you're going off the rails with saying he's practically the Antichrist (metaphorically).
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

A colleague of mine isn't worked up at all about a possible Trump presidency. To hear him tell it, the world has survived ignorant, violent, buffoonish racists being in command of the US before and likely would do so again.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lagmonster wrote:A colleague of mine isn't worked up at all about a possible Trump presidency. To hear him tell it, the world has survived ignorant, violent, buffoonish racists being in command of the US before and likely would do so again.
The flip side of that is that the global periods they presided over were similarly ignorant, violent and buffoonish. One would hope that we're a tad better than that now.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

On the subject of honesty...
The Washington Post: [url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/classic-apps/even-under-oath-trump-struggled-with-the-truth/2016/08/09/07ee5d22-5818-11e6-831d-0324760ca856_story.html?wpisrc=nl_politics-draw6&wpmm=1]Even under oath, Trump struggled with the truth[/url] wrote:The lawyer gave Donald Trump a note, written in Trump’s own handwriting. He asked Trump to read it aloud.

Trump may not have realized it yet, but he had walked into a trap.

“Peter, you’re a real loser,” Trump began reading.

The mogul had sent the note to a reporter, objecting to a story that said Trump owned a “small minority stake” in a Manhattan real estate project. Trump insisted that the word “small” was incorrect. Trump continued reading: “I wrote, ‘Is 50 percent small?’ ”

“This [note] was intended to indicate that you had a 50 percent stake in the project, correct?” said the lawyer.

“That’s correct,” Trump said.

For the first of many times that day, Trump was about to be caught saying something that wasn’t true.

“I own 30 percent,” Trump admitted.

It was a mid-December morning in 2007 — the start of an interrogation unlike anything else in the public record of Trump’s life.

Trump had brought it on himself. He had sued a reporter, accusing him of being reckless and dishonest in a book that raised questions about Trump’s net worth. The reporter’s attorneys turned the tables and brought Trump in for a deposition.

For two straight days, they asked Trump question after question that touched on the same theme: Trump’s honesty.

The lawyers confronted the mogul with his past statements — and with his company’s internal documents, which often showed those statements had been incorrect or invented. The lawyers were relentless. Trump, the bigger-than-life mogul, was vulnerable — cornered, out-prepared and under oath.

Thirty times, they caught him.

Trump had misstated sales at his condo buildings. Inflated the price of membership at one of his golf clubs. Overstated the depth of his past debts and the number of his employees.

That deposition — 170 transcribed pages — offers extraordinary insights into Trump’s relationship with the truth. Trump’s falsehoods were unstrategic — needless, highly specific, easy to disprove. When caught, Trump sometimes blamed others for the error or explained that the untrue thing really was true, in his mind, because he saw the situation more positively than others did.

“Have you ever lied in public statements about your properties?” the lawyer asked.

“I try and be truthful,” Trump said. “I’m no different from a politician running for office. You always want to put the best foot forward.”

In his presidential campaign, Trump has sought to make his truth-telling a selling point. He nicknamed his main Republican opponent “Lyin’ Ted” Cruz. He called his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, “A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR!” in a recent Twitter message. “I will present the facts plainly and honestly,” he said in the opening of his speech at the Republican National Convention. “We cannot afford to be so politically correct anymore.”

Trump has had a habit of telling demonstrable untruths during his presidential campaign. The Washington Post’s Fact Checker has awarded him four Pinocchios — the maximum a statement can receive — 39 times since he announced his bid last summer. In many cases, his statements echo those in the 2007 deposition: They are specific, checkable — and wrong.

Trump said he opposed the Iraq War at the start. He didn’t. He said he’d never mocked a disabled New York Times reporter. He had. Trump also said the National Football League had sent him a letter, objecting to a presidential debate that was scheduled for the same time as a football game. It hadn’t.

Last week, Trump claimed that he had seen footage — taken at a top-secret location and released by the Iranian government — showing a plane unloading a large amount of cash to Iran from the U.S. government. He hadn’t. Trump later conceded he’d been mistaken — he’d seen TV news video that showed a plane during a prisoner release.

But, even under the spotlight of this campaign, Trump has never had an experience quite like this deposition on Dec. 19 and 20, 2007.

He was trapped in a room — with his own prior statements and three high-powered lawyers.

“A very clear and visible side effect of my lawyers’ questioning of Trump is that he [was revealed as] a routine and habitual fabulist,” said Timothy L. O’Brien, the author Trump had sued.

The Washington Post sent the Trump campaign a detailed list of questions about this deposition, listing all the times when Trump seemed to have been caught in a false or unsupported statement. The Post asked Trump whether he wanted to challenge any of those findings — and whether he had felt regret when confronted with them.

He did not answer those questions.

In 2005, O’Brien, then a reporter for the New York Times, had published a book called “Trump Nation: The Art of Being the Donald.” In the book, O’Brien cited people who questioned a claim at the bedrock of Trump’s identity — that his net worth was more than $5 billion. O’Brien said he had spoken to three people who estimated that the figure was between $150 million and $250 million.

Trump sued. He later told The Post that he intended to hurt O’Brien, whom he called a “lowlife sleazebag.”

“I didn’t read [the book], to be honest with you. . . . I never read it. I saw some of the things they said,” Trump said later. “I said: ‘Go sue him. It will cost him a lot of money.’ ”

By filing suit, Trump hadn’t just opened himself up to questioning — he had opened a door into the opaque and secretive company he ran.

O’Brien’s attorneys included Mary Jo White, now the chair of the Securities and Exchange Commission, and Andrew Ceresney, now the SEC’s director of enforcement. The lawsuit had given them the power to request that Trump turn over internal company documents, and they used it. They arrived at the deposition having already identified where Trump’s public statements hadn’t matched the private truth.

The questions began with that handwritten note and the 50 percent stake that wasn’t 50 percent.

“The 30 percent equates to much more than 30 percent,” Trump explained. His reasoning was that he had not been required to put up money at the outset, so his 30 percent share seemed more valuable.

“Are you saying that the real estate community would interpret your interest to be 50 percent, even though in limited partnership agreements it’s 30 percent?” Ceresney asked.

“Smart people would,” Trump said.

“Smart people?”

“Smart people would say it’s much more than 30 percent.”

Trump inflates the numbers
TRUMP: I got more than a million dollars, because they have tremendous promotion expenses, to my advantage. In other words, they promote, which has great value, through billboards, through newspapers, through radio, I think through television – yeah, through television.

And they spend – again, I’d have to ask them, but I bet they spend at least a million or two million or maybe even more than that on promoting Donald Trump.

LAWYER: But how much of the payments were cash?

TRUMP: Approximately $400,000.

LAWYER: So when you say publicly that you got paid more than a million dollars, you’re including in that sum the promotional expenses that they pay?

TRUMP: Oh, absolutely, yes. That has a great value. It has a great value to me.

LAWYER: Do you actually say that when you say you got paid more than a million dollars publicly?

TRUMP: I don’t break it down.
On to the next one.

“I was paid more than a million dollars,” Trump said when Ceresney asked how much he’d been paid for a speech in 2005 at New York City’s Learning Annex, a continuing-education center.

Ceresney was ready.

“But how much of the payments were cash?”

“Approximately $400,000,” Trump said.

Trump said his personal math included the intangible value of publicity: The Learning Annex had advertised his speech heavily, and Trump thought that helped his brand. Therefore, in his mind he’d been paid more than $1 million, even though his actual payment was $400,000.

“Do you actually say that, when you say you got a million dollars publicly?” Ceresney asked.

“I don’t break it down,” Trump said.

As the deposition went on, the lawyers led Trump through case after case in which he’d overstated his success.

The lawyer played a clip from Larry King’s talk show, in which King asked Trump how many people worked for him. “Twenty-two thousand or so,” Trump said.

“Are all those people on your payroll?” Ceresney asked him.

“No, not directly,” Trump said. He said he was counting employees of other companies that acted as suppliers and subcontractors to his businesses.

Another one. In O’Brien’s book, Trump had been quoted saying: “I had zero borrowings from [my father’s] estate. . . . I give you my word.”

Under oath:

“Mr. Trump, have you ever borrowed money from your father’s estate?”

“I think a small amount a long time ago,” Trump said. “I think it was like in the $9 million range.”

Another one. In one of his own books, Trump had said about one of his golf courses: “Membership costs $300,000. I think it’s a bargain.”

Under oath:

“In fact, your memberships were not selling at $300,000 at that time, correct?”

“We’ve sold many for two hundred” thousand, Trump said. Then, Trump pushed it upward: “We’ve sold many for, I think, two-fifty.”

But this was not the place to push it.

The lawyer had an internal Trump document that showed the true figure — “$200,000 per membership,” Ceresney said.

“Correct,” Trump acknowledged. “Right.”

Trump passes the blame
LAWYER: You didn’t correct it when you read the book?

TRUMP: Well, I did correct it, and she didn’t correct it.

But you could have her in as a witness, and I’m sure we’ll bring her in as a witness because what she wrote was — I asked her to change it to “billions of dollars in debt,” and she probably forgot.

LAWYER: And when you read it, you didn’t correct it?

TRUMP: I didn’t see it.

LAWYER: You didn’t see it.

TRUMP: I read it very quickly. I didn’t see it. I would have corrected it, but I didn’t see it.
In some cases, Trump acknowledged he was wrong — but not that he was at fault. Instead, he sought to turn the blame on others.

“This is somebody that wrote it, probably Meredith McIver,” Trump said at one point when confronted with another false statement. “That is a mistake.”

McIver, a staff writer with the Trump Organization, blazed into the public eye last month for having inserted plagiarized material — taken from Michelle Obama’s 2008 convention speech — in the convention speech of Trump’s wife, Melania. McIver said it had been an innocent mistake.

But in this deposition more than eight years earlier, Trump was blaming her for a mistake in one of his own books, “How to Get Rich.” In the 2004 book, co-written with McIver, Trump described his massive debt load during a low period in the early 1990s. “I owed billions upon billions of dollars — $9.2 billion to be exact,” the book said as it retold the story of his rise back to success.

The depth of that financial hole made it seem even more impressive that Trump had climbed out again. But the figure was wrong. His actual debts had been much less.

“I pointed it out to the person who wrote the book,” Trump said, meaning McIver.

“Right after she wrote the book?”

“That’s correct,” Trump said.

Then the lawyer showed Trump another book he’d written with McIver, three years later.

“In fact, I was $9 billion in debt,” Trump read aloud. A similar error, repeated. It was McIver’s fault again.

“She probably forgot,” Trump said.

“And when you read it, you didn’t correct it?”

“I didn’t see it,” Trump said.

“You didn’t see it.”

“I read it very quickly,” Trump said about a book he was credited with writing.

Trump makes unsupported claims
LAWYER: When you wrote, “O’Brien . . . threatened sources by telling them he can, quote, ‘Settle scores with enemies by writing negative articles about them,’ ” what was the basis for that statement?

TRUMP: Just my perception of him.

I don’t know that he indicated anything like that to me, but I think he probably did indirectly. Just my dealing with him.
In other cases, the lawyers prodded Trump into admitting that he had made authoritative-sounding statements without any proof behind them. These statements were another kind of untruth.

They were not necessarily false. They might have been true.

But Trump said them without knowing one way or the other.

“What basis do you have for that statement?” Ceresney asked in one case, about an assertion from Trump that O’Brien had been reported to the police for stalking.

“I guess that was probably taken off the Internet,” Trump said.

On to the next one.

“You wrote, ‘O’Brien . . . threatened sources by telling them he can, quote, settle scores with enemies by writing negative articles about them,’ ” Ceresney asked, reading Trump’s words from a legal complaint. “What was the basis for that statement?”

“Just my perception of him,” Trump said. “I don’t know that he indicated anything like that to me, but I think he probably did indirectly.”

The most striking example was a question at the very heart of the legal case: What was Trump’s actual net worth?

Trump had told O’Brien he was worth up to $6 billion. But the lawyers confronted him with other documents — from Trump’s accountants and from outside banks — that seemed to show the real figure was far lower.

The lawyers asked: “Have you ever not been truthful” about your net worth?

Trump’s answer here was that the truth about his wealth was — in essence — up to him to decide.

“My net worth fluctuates, and it goes up and down with markets and with attitudes and with feelings, even my own feelings,” Trump said. “But I try.”

The interrogation finally ended after two days. Trump’s attorney made a final demand.

“I want the record to be crystal clear that every single word, every question, every answer, every word, is confidential,” said the attorney, Mark Ressler.

In 2009, a judge dismissed Trump’s case against O’Brien. Trump appealed, but in 2011 that was denied, too.

Along the way, this once-confidential deposition became part of the public record when O’Brien’s attorneys attached it to one of their motions.

In a brief statement this week, Trump said he felt the lawsuit was a success, despite his loss.

“O’Brien knows nothing about me,” Trump said. “His book was a total failure and ultimately I had great success doing what I wanted to do — costing this third rate reporter a lot of legal fees.”

O’Brien, now executive editor of Bloomberg View, said Trump got that wrong. The publisher and insurance companies covered the cost.

“Donald Trump lost his lawsuit and, unlike him, it didn’t cost me a penny to litigate it,” he said.
Links preserved from the original, pictures cut. It blows my mind how anyone can think of this person as honest. Clearly, when people think of him as honest, they're referring to his propensity for saying wildly offensive things and loudly proclaiming himself to be "politically incorrect." Ironically, saying one is "politically incorrect" is a very politically correct way of announcing that one is racist and sexist.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Chimaera wrote:And, seriously TRR, you need to relax with the Trump-loathing a wee bit. I consider him a thoroughly unpleasant individual and would reluctantly piss on him were he on fire, but you're going off the rails with saying he's practically the Antichrist (metaphorically).
To defend him a bit (despite being beyond exhausted with his breathless chicken little posts) I don't think you can say enough bad things about child rapists, and it appears Trump is one.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Honestly, I think one of my biggest problems with Hillary is her continued association with Bill. I consider him a thoroughly odious man.
I don't think it's fair to hold it against a woman for remaining married to the father of her child, especially when we do not know the private intricacies of their marriage.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Flagg wrote:
I don't think it's fair to hold it against a woman for remaining married to the father of her child, especially when we do not know the private intricacies of their marriage.
To be frank, unless they themselves choose to share the details, I consider a marriage to be pretty much the exclusive personal business of whatever persons are directly part of the arrangement. And it should be pretty much irrelevant to a person's political career unless their spouse does something that compromises carrying out their duties in a responsible manner.

This will be the first time that a President is also the spouse of a former President. So it's a pretty interesting case study and will definitely set a precedent one way or another.

Whatever arrangement Bill and Hillary have with each other, I don't care, unless Bill starts sleeping around with other heads of state's wives and spreading state secrets or something. I would expect the same of say Michelle Obama.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Chimaera wrote:And, seriously TRR, you need to relax with the Trump-loathing a wee bit. I consider him a thoroughly unpleasant individual and would reluctantly piss on him were he on fire, but you're going off the rails with saying he's practically the Antichrist (metaphorically).
Oh, nothing so dramatic as that.

I would consider him a terrifying threat to the world if he becomes President, but thankfully that seems less and less likely (although it will not do to get complacent until after the votes are counted, and I want the turnout to be as high as possible because only an utter landslide will fully repudiate him and what he represents, get us the House back, and ensure the continued collapse of the Republican Party).

Its more just the shear breadth and variety of his loathsomeness on a personal level. Especially in a God damn Presidential candidate.
Flagg wrote:
Perhaps not.

I do think its fair to hold it against her if she is actively covering for or defending Bill's misconduct, however.

And in purely practical terms, I think at this point Bill is a liability as often as he is an asset.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Oh, nothing so dramatic as that.

I would consider him a terrifying threat to the world if he becomes President, but thankfully that seems less and less likely (although it will not do to get complacent until after the votes are counted, and I want the turnout to be as high as possible because only an utter landslide will fully repudiate him and what he represents, get us the House back, and ensure the continued collapse of the Republican Party).

Its more just the shear breadth and variety of his loathsomeness on a personal level. Especially in a God damn Presidential candidate.
Flagg wrote:
Perhaps not.

I do think its fair to hold it against her if she is actively covering for or defending Bill's misconduct, however.

And in purely practical terms, I think at this point Bill is a liability as often as he is an asset.
What misconduct? Having his dick in the mouth of a Jewish intern on Easter in the Oval Office?

And Bill Clinton wasn't a liability when he helped Obama get elected twice. Nor was he a liability when he helped get his wife elected to the Senate twice.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw