The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Flagg »

Parkinson's? Desperation smells sweet.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Q99 wrote:I note that Trump himself isn't pushing this- likely under realizing, "Hey, this probably *is* a minor bug and if she comes out looking healthy in the debates and swinging, *I* look bad."
Yeah, Trump is too busy giving interviews to Russian state TV. :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

In other news Bill Clinton talked with Charlie Rose and provided us the next news cycle bit.
Transcript wrote:The transcript is below from CBS:

BILL CLINTON: She's doing fine. She was even better last night before she went to sleep. She had a good night's sleep. She just got dehydrated yesterday.

CHARLIE ROSE: Is that what happened? She just got dehydrated. Because when you look at that collapse, that video that was taken, you wonder if it's not more serious than dehydration.

BILL CLINTON: Well, if it is then it's a mystery to me and all of her doctors. Rarely, on more than one occasion, over the last many, many years, the same sort of thing's happened to her when she got severely dehydrated, and she's worked like a demon, as you know, as Secretary of State, as a senator, and in the year since.
Lets see do you want to go with Hillary Clinton "snip" is a Demon. Or the "On more than one occasion it's happened before"
A reminder about why Bill Clinton is a bad surrogate for his wife. Great for Senators or House members, but he tries too hard when defending his wife.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Mr Bean wrote: Lets see do you want to go with Hillary Clinton "snip" is a Demon. Or the "On more than one occasion it's happened before"
A reminder about why Bill Clinton is a bad surrogate for his wife. Great for Senators or House members, but he tries too hard when defending his wife.
It's like saying I've had a seizure on more than one occasion before. Yea. Some medical conditions it happens. And not all of them, if any, disqualify them from the office. Much less dehydration as a result from pneumonia. It's like saying welcome to the world. You want a perfect human in the presidency you're going to be waiting for a long as fuck ass while.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Gaidin wrote:
Mr Bean wrote: Lets see do you want to go with Hillary Clinton "snip" is a Demon. Or the "On more than one occasion it's happened before"
It's like saying I've had a seizure on more than one occasion before. Yea. Some medical conditions it happens. And not all of them, if any, disqualify them from the office. Much less dehydration as a result from pneumonia. It's like saying welcome to the world. You want a perfect human in the presidency you're going to be waiting for a long as fuck ass while.
You remind me of the shop people who like skipping steps because it won't kill them.
The spectrum is not from 0 to medically unqualified, that's not how that works. What does work is handy aids featuring Bill Clinton talking about how she's had medical problems in the past on more than one occasion while dramatic music plays in the background.

I'm talking about optics and the political game, not some mythical set of judges seated in the void who can disqualify Secretary Clinton based on her medical history. It's all image Gaidin and Bill's comments do not help Secretary Clinton's image.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Mr Bean wrote: You remind me of the shop people who like skipping steps because it won't kill them.
The spectrum is not from 0 to medically unqualified, that's not how that works. What does work is handy aids featuring Bill Clinton talking about how she's had medical problems in the past on more than one occasion while dramatic music plays in the background.

I'm talking about optics and the political game, not some mythical set of judges seated in the void who can disqualify Secretary Clinton based on her medical history. It's all image Gaidin and Bill's comments do not help Secretary Clinton's image.
It pretty much is as far as the press is concerned or did you forget I could have a blackout that makes my episode look dead up like Hillary's and they could get everything totally wrong. This is why we have Doctor's. This is why things maybe take a day. Maybe two. A diagnosis. And for the sake of a campaign, maybe a week to put out the records as the Clintons are now doing. But holy shit dude. Not everything looks different.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Mr Bean wrote:
Gaidin wrote:
You remind me of the shop people who like skipping steps because it won't kill them.

Yeah, any respect I had left, which wasn't much, for Bill Clinton as a surrogate for Hillary was lost in 2008 when he went full tilt racist on Obama during the primary. And it's funny, because you can tell Obama and Bill fucking hate each other by their body language when at events together. When Obama is more relaxed talking to Dubya than his democratic predecessor that says something about Bill Clinton not Barack Obama.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Gaiden wrote:It pretty much is as far as the press is concerned or did you forget I could have a blackout that makes my episode look dead up like Hillary's and they could get everything totally wrong. This is why we have Doctor's. This is why things maybe take a day. Maybe two. A diagnosis. And for the sake of a campaign, maybe a week to put out the records as the Clintons are now doing. But holy shit dude. Not everything looks different.
And my point to you is, the appearance matters more than the facts. Or did you miss the fact a man named Donald Trump, serial liar, over all bad businessman and rejected human slime holds a major party nomination?
Flagg wrote: Yeah, any respect I had left, which wasn't much, for Bill Clinton as a surrogate for Hillary was lost in 2008 when he went full tilt racist on Obama during the primary. And it's funny, because you can tell Obama and Bill fucking hate each other by their body language when at events together. When Obama is more relaxed talking to Dubya than his democratic predecessor that says something about Bill Clinton not Barack Obama.
Dubya's a generally nice guy, strip the shame and the history and put him in the best Walmart dress shirt you can find. Look and you will see a picture of down home country friendliness of a man named Skeeter who owns a bait shop and is happy to spend twenty minutes talking about fishing holes and casting times and either complaining or praising the weather while you stand in his shack shop making you feel welcome.

I spent several years in DC and it's always interesting to watch the politicos who turn it on and off and those who keep it on 24/7. That politician "I really care about what you have to say" mode they turn on when meeting voters. In Dubya case from what brief exposures I got (numbering exactly two) and second hand reports he was the kind of person who could stop and have a ten minute conversation about time pressure gauges with some random solider on base in DC or would have had his staff not hurried on him two minutes into the conversation.

I was out by the time President Obama was elected but from what I've heard he could pull off the same thing but not kept it on 24/7 like Dubya did because again with him you get the impression that had Gore won the presidency he'd be hosting a nice talk show on Fox right now and everyone would be talking about what a nice old man he was.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Put this way, Bean, given that you have a point, it needs some clarification.

The point "Clinton is medically unfit for the presidency" is inadequately supported.

The point "Clinton's recent stumble may create the perception of her physical unfitness among some narrow sliver of the electorate" has at least some merit.

Which are you trying to present here?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Simon_Jester wrote:Put this way, Bean, given that you have a point, it needs some clarification.

The point "Clinton is medically unfit for the presidency" is inadequately supported.

The point "Clinton's recent stumble may create the perception of her physical unfitness among some narrow sliver of the electorate" has at least some merit.

I've never argued for the first, so entirely the second. Your assigning Trump conspiracies to my game day discussion.

My interest is and remains with the horse race aspects and trying to predict what the media conglomerations will all independently decided to report as news a few days ahead of time. This week we are playing "lets put Clinton conspiracy theorists on prime time and call it news".

I mean "some experts have serious concerns about Secretary Clinton's heath".

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote:Put this way, Bean, given that you have a point, it needs some clarification.

He's talking about the media horse race bullshit and how Bubba's phrasing and being a Hillary surrogate will be played, not on the merits.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Jester can you honestly say there's any breaking news that will make you vote for Trump?

If not we are past the discussion and political argument part of this topic part of this thread and firmly in the media horse race bullshit portion of the discussion until the Debates occur. That's also why I'm down to posting in starts and stops rather than every day like I was six months ago when things were less decided.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Trump will most likely be declared winner of the "debates" because he'll make unfounded accusations, Clinton will scoff, and the media will declare that scoffing at unfounded accusations is somehow bad.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

My biggest concern is that, ironically, because Trump is such a shit debater, especially compared to Clinton, expectations will be so low that if he manages to be basically coherent and civil through the debates (a big if), a lot of people will praise him for what a great job he did.

Whereas Clinton can knock it out of the park and it doesn't matter.

Her best bet is that he loses control and says something really horrific during the debates. Which is plausible.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:My biggest concern is that, ironically, because Trump is such a shit debater, especially compared to Clinton, expectations will be so low that if he manages to be basically coherent and civil through the debates (a big if), a lot of people will praise him for what a great job he did.

Whereas Clinton can knock it out of the park and it doesn't matter.

Her best bet is that he loses control and says something really horrific during the debates. Which is plausible.
I'd just refference anything he said and mention it was during an interview on Russian state TV. :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Mr Bean wrote:Jester can you honestly say there's any breaking news that will make you vote for Trump?

If not we are past the discussion and political argument part of this topic part of this thread and firmly in the media horse race bullshit portion of the discussion until the Debates occur. That's also why I'm down to posting in starts and stops rather than every day like I was six months ago when things were less decided.
Sorry. I somehow wound up a little unclear on whether we were talking about the horse race aspect, or the discussion of the merits of the candidates.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

In other news, Hillary Clinton's campaign just posted a heaping pile of crazy to their website.
Why is there a frog standing directly behind Trump?

That’s Pepe. He’s a symbol associated with white supremacy.

Wait. Really? White supremacy?

That’s right.

Please explain.

Here’s the short version: Pepe is a cartoon frog who began his internet life as an innocent meme enjoyed by teenagers and pop stars alike.

But in recent months, Pepe’s been almost entirely co-opted by the white supremacists who call themselves the “alt-right.” They’ve decided to take back Pepe by adding swastikas and other symbols of anti-semitism and white supremacy.

“We basically mixed Pepe in with Nazi propaganda, etc. We built that association,” one prominent white supremacist told the Daily Beast.

Trump has retweeted his white supremacist supporters with regularity, but the connection between the alt-right and his campaign continues to strengthen. Trump has been slow to disavow support from Ku Klux Klansmen and white supremacy groups, and he recently hired Breitbart.com’s Steve Bannon as his campaign CEO (and Bannon isn’t shy about the fact that his “news” organization is the “platform for the alt-right”).

Now white supremacists have given Pepe the cartoon frog some Trump hair—and the candidate’s own son says he is “honored to be grouped with” him.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Pepe is now a symbol of white supremacy?

Looooool
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Wild Zontargs
Padawan Learner

Post by Wild Zontargs »

This Pepe?! What the fuck. OK, first Trump starts shitposting on Twitter, then he starts re-tweeting memes, and now the Hillary campaign (and the news media) are shrieking about coded white-supremacist messaging because of a fucking frog image macro.

This election has left "completely insane" behind, and now reads like something out of Illuminatus! Can someone who does drugs tell me if the election makes more sense while stoned?
Доверяй, но проверяй
"Ugh. I hate agreeing with Zontargs." -- Alyrium Denryle
"What you are is abject human trash who is very good at dodging actual rule violations while still being human trash." -- Alyrium Denryle
iustitia socialis delenda est
Wild Zontargs
Padawan Learner

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Via a screenshot going around, the memelords over at 8chan's /pol/ react to Hillary's screed:
8/pol/, with all its memes and shitposting, is the perfect honeypot against the Dems (and naturally, their MSM lapdogs). They think that they can "expose" us, but all they're really doing is diving headlong into a subculture that they don't even understand on a crude, basic level.

Ours is an utterly obscure community that only takes itself seriously half of the time, and spends the other half worshipping dubs [post ID numbers ending in repeating digits] as the divine blessings of a frog-deity. It must look like complete lunacy from the outside, and yet we've helped spawn an entirely new counterculture that is actually starting to succeed at stopping a corrupt political machine.
They're laughing their balls off at this.
Доверяй, но проверяй
"What you are is abject human trash who is very good at dodging actual rule violations while still being human trash." -- Alyrium Denryle
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yes, Pepe the Frog is tied to white supremecists, article from four months ago so not related to the current stuff, about how there was a deliberate movement to tie him to the alt-right.
Wild Zontargs wrote:Via a screenshot going around, the memelords over at 8chan's /pol/ react to Hillary's screed:

They're laughing their balls off at this.

It's kinda funny how they react to anything with 'lol we're winning.' Also kinda sad ^^ They really aren't this unknowable lunacy they like to present themselves as.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Wild Zontargs wrote:Can someone who does drugs tell me if the election makes more sense while stoned?
No.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The funny part is that Trump himself has close associations with white supremacists. A cartoon frog is serious business, though. I wonder if they asked him about it when he gave Russian State TV an interview.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Wild Zontargs
Padawan Learner

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Q99 wrote:Yes, Pepe the Frog is tied to white supremecists, article from four months ago so not related to the current stuff, about how there was a deliberate movement to tie him to the alt-right.
Ah yes, the one with /r9k/ as the source. /r9k/, home of edgelords and copypastas, based entirely around greentext stories that "totally happened".

This is like when they managed to get Oprah to talk about the "over 9000 penises" raping children on national TV:

Or perhaps when Pedobear made the news:

Доверяй, но проверяй
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Pretty hardcore example of 'NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET', it would seem...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)