The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Mr Bean »

FaxModem1 wrote:I swear, half the time during this debate, it looks like the two are going seriously tear each other apart.

So, are the only two tools in Trump's diplomacy book "Receive paycheck" or "Bomb it"
3. Demand China/Russia bomb it

It was a shit show and I'm going to bed because I'm to sober to try and sort this out. Tentative Secretary Clinton "won" only because she failed to lose. But man did Secretary Clinton fail to win, and provide quite a bit of fodder for the political campaign ads.

And yes Trump lost, he lost everything you could lose.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Mr Bean wrote:I've not touched a drop of booze for months now can't afford it on my current budget. Otherwise I'd already be smashed, the two drinking games I'm following both based off Trump would already have me at five drinks and eight drinks (I know people is worth a drink, every Trump answer contains I know people) did not have a Clinton based one.
And the final tally is...everyone's in the hospital with alcohol poisoning.

ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

muse wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:I've not touched a drop of booze for months now can't afford it on my current budget. Otherwise I'd already be smashed, the two drinking games I'm following both based off Trump would already have me at five drinks and eight drinks (I know people is worth a drink, every Trump answer contains I know people) did not have a Clinton based one.
And the final tally is...everyone's in the hospital with alcohol poisoning.

The villagers rejoice!

I can drink it, but don't get a buzz I immediately am drunk. Thurns out that with the gastric bypass, alcohol goes right into your system like an IV push.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Flagg wrote: The villagers rejoice!

I can drink it, but don't get a buzz I immediately am drunk. Thurns out that with the gastric bypass, alcohol goes right into your system like an IV push.
Ummm...avoid the Triple IPAs....?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I would have liked to see Clinton go after Trump more aggressively on certain points, and she lacked a good comeback (or any comeback) to some of his attacks, like the "super predators" accusation coming up again.

However, she gave a pretty strong showing over all, and I thought she absolutely nailed the foreign policy smack down and the stamina come-back.

Trump didn't utterly faceplant, but he couldn't avoid being a bigoted, lying narcissist.

The media thus far seems to be largely treating it as a Clinton win, which is encouraging.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Public Policy Polling's post debate poll has Americans saying Hillary won 51%-40%. 63-24 among young voters, 77-13 among African-Americans and Latinos. White voters say Trump won 47-45.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

fivethirtyeight's projections have climbed, and Clinton is above 50% on all three again. This is pre-debate fall-out.

Looking good. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I would have liked to see Clinton go after Trump more aggressively on certain points, and she lacked a good comeback (or any comeback) to some of his attacks, like the "super predators" accusation coming up again.
She's got two more debates to play with. I honestly think that a rhetorical rope-a-dope strategy might be her best bet. Trump may well say even dumber stuff during the second debate than during the first, and going on the offensive is always a risk in some way. If she's got any really good shots she wants to land, she's probably going to land them as close to Election Day as possible, and the next two debates are weeks closer in.
The Romulan Republic wrote:fivethirtyeight's projections have climbed, and Clinton is above 50% on all three again. This is pre-debate fall-out.

Does this mean we get to say "I told you so?"

Seriously, man, no more Chicken Little.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Gaidin wrote:
Flagg wrote: The villagers rejoice!

Ummm...avoid the Triple IPAs....?
Wow, that's just a great example of why posting without your glasses on is a bad idea.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

That was an amazing piece of television. And now that the media narrative seems to be settling into "Donald Trump trainwreck" this morning, I am expecting a convention style swing in the polls that he'll only come back from enough to win if he really nails the second or third debate.

As a father (of a non-white son) who has been getting progressively more nervous about a Trump win, I'm feeling a lot more secure this morning. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the Donald, but I'm not counting any chickens yet.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Is there anywhere I could go to watch the whole debate ?

Or any decent highlights ?

The only highlights I've seen so far are from The Onion. Actual clips from the debate, with Onion headlines running along the bottom.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Raw Story and Daily Beast both have a decent selection of articles that hit salient points. Mostly left-leaning, mind you... but compared to Fox News and Breitbart, almost everything else is left-leaning.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:fivethirtyeight's projections have climbed, and Clinton is above 50% on all three again. This is pre-debate fall-out.

Ah... that might not last for long.

The Second Presidential Debate Will Try Something New
Viewers unhappy with the questions asked at Monday night’s debate will have a shot to weigh in before Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton meet again on October 9: For the first time, the networks producing the town-hall style debate have agreed to accept questions voted on through the internet.

The Commission on Presidential Debates had already announced that the second of three debates would feature questions submitted online in addition to those asked by the traditional studio audience. But on Tuesday morning, the organizers confirmed they are embracing a format that a broad bipartisan cross-section of activist and civic groups known as the Open Debate Coalition have been pushing for years. Americans will be able to submit and then vote on questions online at PresidentialOpenQuestions.com, and ABC and CNN have agreed to consider the 30 most popular queries when they jointly plan the debate.

“This year’s presidential debate moderators will have a rich pool of voter-submitted questions they can draw on that carry greater weight because they are backed by votes from the American people,” Mike McCurry, a co-chairman of the Commission on Presidential Debates, said in a statement accompanying the announcement by the Open Debate Coalition.

The coalition tested out the format this spring during a debate between Representatives Alan Grayson and David Jolly, who were running in their respective party primaries for the U.S. Senate in Florida. The debate commission studied that debate and took note that both candidates praised the format, which featured more substantive questions on policy issues as opposed to those focused on electoral politics and the candidates’ personal foibles.

Presidential primary debates have featured questions from YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and other online fora in the past, but organizers believe the voting format will add “more moral weight” to the questions, said Adam Green, co-founder of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, one of the groups backing the effort. Other members of the Open Debate Coalition include the conservative activist Grover Norquist, FreedomWorks, MoveOn, Ralph Reed of the Faith and Freedom Coalition, and Numbers USA, which backs more restrictive immigration policy. “There is a mutual frustration with presidential debate questions dominated by a handful of television personalities rather than average voters,” Norquist said.

Lilia Tamm Dixon, director of the Open Debates Coalition, said the various groups plan to mobilize their activist networks to submit and vote on questions in the hope that Trump and Clinton will have to address their priority issues at the October 9 debate, which will take place at Washington University in St. Louis with moderators Martha Raddatz of ABC and Anderson Cooper of CNN.

Unlike in the “open” Senate debate in Florida, however, the networks have given themselves an out in agreeing to the voting format. They have agreed to consider the 30 most popular questions, but they aren’t promising to ask them. That may be a hedge in case online voters want to hear the candidates opine on, say, Harambe, instead of more pressing matters like Social Security or tax policy. That’s not what happened in Florida, where the most popular questions among more than 400,000 votes were those covering money in politics, the minimum wage, climate change, and other weighty issues.
Good fucking gravy, have they not noticed the fact that a bunch of pro-Trump sites/pages called for poll brigades and hashtag spamming (I was on Twitter earlier, top hashtag? TrumpWon)? So I guess there's going to be a bunch of questions with loaded language that will be trying to take down Hillary and make Trump look good.

What the fuck media!? :banghead:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think a lot of media folks want Trump. Not just the die-hard alt Right types either.

See, Trump makes sensationalist news, which makes for ratings.

Either they don't know or don't care that Trump will start censoring them for hurting his feelings once he's in office.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

SolarpunkFan wrote:Good fucking gravy, have they not noticed the fact that a bunch of pro-Trump sites/pages called for poll brigades and hashtag spamming (I was on Twitter earlier, top hashtag? TrumpWon)? So I guess there's going to be a bunch of questions with loaded language that will be trying to take down Hillary and make Trump look good.
Only if they can filter out the questions from the depths of /b/
The Romulan Republic wrote:I think a lot of media folks want Trump. Not just the die-hard alt Right types either.

See, Trump makes sensationalist news, which makes for ratings.

Either they don't know or don't care that Trump will start censoring them for hurting his feelings once he's in office.
I'm hoping that their plan is to build him up for the high ratings now, then crash his support come election day. I'm hoping they figure out how to pull it off.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That's an irresponsible and dangerous game to play, if its what they're doing.

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:That's an irresponsible and dangerous game to play, if its what they're doing.
Yes. I think it's because a lot of the media is way too cocky and overconfident. They think they'll be able to play chicken with the election and get Trump to lose.

Quite frankly: that is not something you should play chicken with, especially if your job is supposed to be telling the truth.
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

bilateralrope wrote:I'm hoping that their plan is to build him up for the high ratings now, then crash his support come election day. I'm hoping they figure out how to pull it off.
The debate coverage has made pretty clear that they're in the "crash Trump" phase of the cycle. They seem to have finally realized that they might have to actually live under a President Trump.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

What, the constant spew of bullshit from the various surrogates wasn't enough already?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I don't think it's necessarily a conscious "let's build Trump up" thing, so much as a constant stream of increased viewership when the race is tighter.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

If they don't want to boost Trump by having the internet vote on questions, I can only think of two possibilities:
- They believe their justifications for letting the internet vote on questions. Which means they don't realise how lucky Britain was with Boaty McBoatface.
- They know how bad it's going to get. But they also want the ratings boost that comes with reporting on the clusterfuck.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Or they'll just discard/ignore/lie about the internet votes and ask the 30 questions they'd originally planned on anyway.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The sad thing is that that might actually be the best option.

At least the professional journalists probably won't spam the questions with Alt-Right memes.

Omega18
Jedi Knight

Post by Omega18 »

bilateralrope wrote:Is there anywhere I could go to watch the whole debate ?

Or any decent highlights ?

The only highlights I've seen so far are from The Onion. Actual clips from the debate, with Onion headlines running along the bottom.
You can see the whole debate basically sans commercial breaks here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=855Am6ovK7s
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Hillary really slammed Trump in my view- she got under his skin, he looked frazzled, and he made some *big* errors, some of them unforced, like calling the financial crash good for business. Admitting to not paying people isn't a good look too. The audience openly laughed at him when he claimed great temperament at the end.

Meanwhile she not only looked collected and presidential, but like she was enjoying herself too. That kind of enthusiasm helps draw people in.