The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Q99 »

Nate says it'll be til around Thursday when we can really judge the effect on the polls.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Figures.

Well, something to look forward to.

I'm kind of cringing to think of how ugly the debate is probably going to be tonight, even if it does blow another hole in the sinking ship.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

K. A. Pital wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Gods I hope so. But, knowing the kneejerk stupidity of my fellow citizens I won't rest easy until after election day. The only poll that really counts is the one taken on the second Tuesday of November.
It's not just the polls alone... looks like he is becoming rapidly an "impossible candidate" even among his own. A candidate without a party is not going to win. That last scandal with groping looks very much like the last nail in the coffin.
I assure you, this will not be the last nail.

It may be the sufficient nail, but it won't be the last. Trump still has four weeks to wedge his foot further into his mouth.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Trump 2016: How low can you go?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Did this just get interesting?
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Who tied Trump's tie tonight? It's so freaking long! He looks like a little kid who's gotten into his dad's wardrobe. :lol:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Trump bringing up the emails again. And Hillary Clinton seems rather calm.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Dig that grave, Donnie Jingles.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I think he exploded.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

So, Trump says he is going to try and prosecute Clinton if he wins?

What a guy.

And people cheered it on...
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Dragon Angel wrote:So, Trump says he is going to try and prosecute Clinton if he wins?

What a guy.

And people cheered it on...
I think at least a few of them were cheering because he Democrats are about to have all three branches of the federal government.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Who was Donald pointing at?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

To Trump: How do you intend the upper class to pay their fair share in taxes?

Trump: Corporate tax cuts
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

FaxModem1 wrote:Who was Donald pointing at?
Could have been like that bit in Mr. B Natural where he was cursing someone with a magic finger. :P

(1:37 on this vid)

https://youtu.be/cAKentKiGOY?t=1m37s
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Debate's over. Thoughts?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Holy shit. Trump threatened to jail Clinton if he wins, like a fucking dictator arresting the opposition. No wonder he likes Putin and Assad.

Though on that note: can someone please ask Secretary Clinton how she expects to enforce a no-fly zone in Syria without firing on the Russian airforce and potentially provoking World War III?

At least she ruled out ground forces beyond special forces (which we're already doing).

Also, watching Clinton try to brush off and evade the sexual assault allegations against Bill while his accusers were in the room was painful.

I know Bill hasn't been proven guilty, and innocent until proven guilty, but I can't help thinking "What if he is guilty? How horrible is that moment if he is?"

And even if it wasn't, it was very uncomfortable.

But back to Trump being a fucking piece of shit: Trump, stop trying to invoke Bernie Sanders. You do not care about Bernie Sanders, or his supporters, or any of the things we value. Stop trying to ride a better man's coattails.

At least they both handled the last question fairly well, as awkward as it was. I don't know if I could have said something nice about Trump, even indirectly, in Clinton's place.

I'll give Clinton a great deal of credit for this: She had to stand up their on stage and be civil to a man who boasts about sexually assaulting women. A man with a history of inciting and condoning violence. A man who threatened her to her face with prison if he wins, and loomed in a physically aggressive manner behind her for much of the debate.

And it was Trump, far more than Clinton, who seemed rattled and flustered.

Congratulations Madame Secretary. You stared the Devil down, and the Devil blinked.

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Trump's favor is he didn't move the needle against him unless long term fact checking reveals some weird things.. But...he didn't move the needle for him. THAT'S KEY. Trump didn't move the needle for him. He needed to move the needle for him.

Oops.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Though on that note: can someone please ask Secretary Clinton how she expects to enforce a no-fly zone in Syria without firing on the Russian airforce and potentially provoking World War III?
Easy, don't attack the Russians. As we discussed before, no candidate has said anything about attacking the Russians, or enforcing a no-fly zone on them.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, then the no-fly zone will likely be an ineffectual joke, because Putin will still be supporting Assad.

So, likely ineffectual joke/empty posturing, or risk of WWIII. One or the other.

Edit: I mean, its not like it'll change my vote. Trump is still far worse, and far more dangerous. But I wish someone would question Clinton on this point. This has always been one of Clinton's weakest positions to me.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The backroom implication is that the US would finally approve of the Saudis supplying anti aircraft weapons, including say anything Ukraine can make work with duct tape. But she's not ever going to say that in a debate.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That... might actually be workable, maybe. I don't really know enough to say for sure. At least insofar as it would allow shooting down planes without a huge risk of a shooting war with Russia.

But I don't want to think who the Saudis would give those weapons to- jihadis, almost certainly.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

CNN poll result:

63% say Trump did better than they expected.

Clinton is still regarded as the winner by 57%, to 34% for Trump.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The Romulan Republic wrote:That... might actually be workable, maybe. I don't really know enough to say for sure. At least insofar as it would allow shooting down planes without a huge risk of a shooting war with Russia.

But I don't want to think who the Saudis would give those weapons to- jihadis, almost certainly.
That would be horrible, because while I am reasonably confident the US would not accidentally shoot down a Russian over a Syrian aircraft, the rebels wouldn't care. So while the idea of WWIII is still laughably stupid regardless of what happens, if there is going to be an incident that pretty much guarantees it.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Also, watching Clinton try to brush off and evade the sexual assault allegations against Bill while his accusers were in the room was painful.

I know Bill hasn't been proven guilty, and innocent until proven guilty, but I can't help thinking "What if he is guilty? How horrible is that moment if he is?"

And even if it wasn't, it was very uncomfortable.
It shouldn't even be a question to her. She isn't her husband. She's not the one who allegedly committed rape. Just like them trying to tar her for her husband's affair. I mean, it's bald-faced character assassination!
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Patroklos wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:That... might actually be workable, maybe. I don't really know enough to say for sure. At least insofar as it would allow shooting down planes without a huge risk of a shooting war with Russia.

That would be horrible, because while I am reasonably confident the US would not accidentally shoot down a Russian over a Syrian aircraft, the rebels wouldn't care. So while the idea of WWIII is still laughably stupid regardless of what happens, if there is going to be an incident that pretty much guarantees it.
Their is a likelihood that the rebels would, yes.

Thought that would be less likely to lead to a war with America than if American/NATO forces did do it, obviously.

As to the likelihood of WW3, I won't debate the point, beyond saying that the smug complacency of believing that it can never happen may be the thing most likely to make it happen.

In any case, it doesn't change the point that the no-fly zone is a terrible idea with no remotely plausible positive outcome.