The 2016 US Election (Part IV)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part IV)

Post by Flagg »

Lagmonster wrote:I have heard just dozens of one-liners from various news and media personalities up here about the "expected sudden influx of Americans looking to move to Canada", with jokes about whether we're about to get a horde of angry Trumpies or terrified Bernie Bros.
I would go to Norway, not Canada. Canada is owned by the same oil assholes we are. Parts of the country are desolation looking like fucking Mordor with you letting giant tracts of boreal forest be destroyed and defiled for shit-oil.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Tribun wrote:To make it short, they are implying people who weren't in the line at 7 PM still got to vote. This of course raises the question how they are plannning to prove this accusation. I bet they just want all the votes from that polling station thrown out of the window. Any chance they get through with this?
All they need is a video of the line, which is fair game if it extended outside the polling place. If the polling place was kept open to 10pm and as others have said anyone on line at the posted 7PM closing time should still get to vote, that means there had to have been a three hour long waiting time at 7PM. It really wouldn't be hard to prove that did or did not exist. You would think in these instances the polling workers would have a way to definitively establish the end of the line and who was in it at closing. Maybe they do. My precinct just locks the doors, but we never have lines out of the polling place like so many places this year.

As far as what they can do about it? Not much I'd imagine. Unless there is continuous video that can be firmly established regarding the time and you can definitively identify individuals entering the line late I see no way to segregate their ballots from those who were in line in time for exclusion. I'd imagine they would wait to see if the all the ballots from the precinct would have changed the statewide outcome (likely in Nevada) before they would even attempt to address it.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Issue with the lawsuit is there are positions of authority that can decide to stay open later. Their argument is that it was conspired to keep the place open too early in the day. Not as a late in the day decision.
ThatOneCatC
Redshirt

Post by ThatOneCatC »

When I was a presiding judge at the precinct for Bill Clintons 2nd term, we put up a velvet rope behind the last person in line when the polls closed. Anyone who came later were informed that the polls had been closed and only those on the other side were still allowed to vote
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Apparently the district judge in nevada told Trump's people to screw off.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Tribble wrote:I like how one of the only times my country gets noticed... is during the US election, where some Americans threaten to leave if they don't get the president they want. And even then we're just seen as some kind of consolation prize :P
You're no silver medal to me. Like I said, my dream of being your countryman requires things to go right here. I fell in love with you guys because of the people, the "Nice New York" vibe I got from Toronto, the food, and a significant amount of reason I did on your government and specifically your immigration system.

If the President I don't want wins, I'll just hunker down and try to enjoy the apocalypse. If the President I do want wins, I'll keep trying to move to a country that's like mine but with functional institutions.

Seriously. You're like America's younger brother who's just way better. America's big and tough and will help you fight off that asshole guy, and maybe give you beer. Except in his tight group of friends, he can be a little erratic and shitty. But Canada? Everybody just likes him because he's a good guy. He's always helping out the guys America doesn't really notice. He actually let Syria stay on his couch. Then put him on the lease, without making Syria bring it up. America had to be group-shamed into letting him in, then asked him every day when he was moving out while implying he was casing the joint. Canada privately told America he was being a dick about it, then America gave him the finger and called him a commie.

I'm done.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I voted, and also I work by a polling place that was certainly busier then normal even for a presidential election. That the weather is 68 degrees and sunny might is no doubt helping turnout around here.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I find it asinine that any polling station anywhere has opening and closing hours that aren't "November 8th, midnight to midnight."

Fuck the worthless political shitheels on both sides. The people get their say, as loudly as possible, and none of those system-gaming assholes playing games on our dime get to have a say in it.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Sea Skimmer wrote:tag, you're quoted
Skimmer, you're in Montco, right? What was the Trumpiness like? Fiancé took her friend out to a polling place in Bucks and there seemed to be a lot of old white guys looking to Make America Great Again. Downtown was heavy on hipsters lines though. Nerve wracking.

All the rest? Too long.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I live pretty much next door to my polling place, so everything was quick, quiet and free of any intimidation. Though there were a small group of rugged individual old white dudes in their dingy "real murrican" farm clothes loudly talking in the lobby how Trump is destined by god to be president and anyone voting Hillary is a traitor that deserved to be shot, ect. Ended pretty dammed quick when the police officer getting a cup of coffee in the gas station next door heard about it.

Lady at the counter said that when he heard about the assholes' antics he suddenly "looked like a terminator" dropped his coffee, marched over to the polls, and sternly informed the real murricans that their presence was not welcome, and they were required to leave.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I voted last week by mail because there are less idiots per capital here. I did write in "Silent Bob" for a post with only 2 Repubichairs running.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Voted in San Francisco on my way to work. Polling place was a garage four blocks from my apartment, just like it's been every election for half a decade. No line, just dropped my ballot in the box (CA automatically mails everyone a mail-in ballot, which you have the option to return in person), got my sticker and bailed.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

FireNexus wrote: Skimmer, you're in Montco, right? What was the Trumpiness like? Fiancé took her friend out to a polling place in Bucks and there seemed to be a lot of old white guys looking to Make America Great Again. Downtown was heavy on hipsters lines though. Nerve wracking.
I'm not in that county. Where I was is pretty dem leaning overall, but had all walks of life out. The area certainly has its share of Trump supporters, and Trump signs were common, but not many people put out political signs at all so that probably just means Trump fans are more into it.

Friend of mine just voted in Fishtown and said it was loaded but no lines of note.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

I was in fishtown this morning and there were lines all over. I assume they'LL pick up nowish, too.

All the rest? Too long.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I live in a district that has voted Democrat twice in my lifetime (Carter '76, Bubba '92) and typically votes GOP by lopsided margins. Well today the polling station was like a graveyard with nary a Teabagger in sight. So maybe the Creepy Clown demoralized them and they're staying home (fingers crossed).

Then I took my mom to go vote. This was quite a hassle since the polling station for her precinct moved for the first time in 24 years. She was in such a habit of voting in the same place that neither she nor quite a few others thought to look up where they're supposed to vote. So a bunch of retirees (my mother was probably the youngest of the bunch) turned up at the wrong place. On top of that, the new polling station is located in a building that is a good 50-60 yards from the parking lot, and this doesn't include the two flights of steps or the long ramp you have to walk just to enter. If you used Google Maps to find the location and entered at the given street address you had to walk almost 300 yards. Did I mention this district had a disproportionate number of elderly people, many of whom are in walkers, wheel chairs or are simply old, and while they can walk (slowly), making them go through this obstacle course is just plain cruel?

Nice going, assholes.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Ironic (though entirely unsurprising) that Clinton's first victory tonight is Bernie's home state.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Voted today after my shift at work. There was a line but not bad, about a 15-20 minute wait at most.

Forgot I had my utility knife from work still in my pocket until I saw the metal detector past the door - whoops, went and put it back in the truck (weapons not allowed at the polls).

Very quiet, everyone polite, just the way it should be.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Wife and I are going shortly to cast our votes. Straight Democratic ticket all the way through, plus I'm voting yes on a few state propositions that will provide funding for the environment, schools...oh and legalizing pot too.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Isn't Nevada voting on that, too? And another western state? We just might have a chunk of the west legal for pot-for-fun.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I don't plan on ever using the stuff, but taxes and licenses for it will rake in literally BILLIONS of dollars for CA. It's a sound business proposal, nothing more. :-P
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Looks like trump will win Florida.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Probably, though their are some major Democratic areas that have not finished counting.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Senator Mark Kirk (R Illinois), one of the few Republican senators that I respect, has been voted out in favor of Tammy Duckworth (D). I voted against him, because the Republican-controlled Senate has been a blight on this nation for the past decade, but he wasn't part of the problem. In a better world I'd have happily voted for him. Part of me is sad to see him go.
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

So how is it looking so far for HRC? Part of me is too much of a pussy to look cuz I am dreading what I might find
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Bad, honestly.

If Trump maintains his current lead in all the states where he's currently leading, he's going to win.

But their's a lot of close races, and time still for some of them to turn around.