The 2016 US Election (Part IV)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part IV)

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Lord Revan wrote:Tbh honest I dout we'll have to worry about any Trump like candidates, I can pretty much promise that Russia will take this as opportunity to destablize all countries all it's western border with exception of Belarussia turning it's sight on Poland instead.

so You'll get the rivers of blood and anarchy you wished so much.
Can't recall wishing for rivers of blood and anarchy, only predicting shit's gonna happen unless we change political course.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:Anyway, barring a giant meteorite landing on Trump tower, this election's over. For the first time, I must admit that I am legitimately ashamed of being a citizen of the United States.
At least your vote didn't end up in a swamp somewhere like when my first vote for President was cast for Al Gore in Florida.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Welp, hopefully the DNC learns from this and doesn't nominate another status quo establishment candidate in 2020. I bet they do it anyway.
This presupposes that their will be a functional political opposition or a free election in four years if Trump is President.

I don't wish to be alarmist, because their will be far too much of that going around, but the man has "American Erdogan/Duterte" written all over him.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

It's Brexit times fifty.

This is actually happening and I wonder if the problem with the "mild" left is that they entirely forgot the people they need to defend.

The US workers voted Trump. Horrible but true.

Why did this happen? Will at least some of those who said that the status-quo of the US political elites was ok admit they were wrong?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: This presupposes that their will be a functional political opposition or a free election in four years if Trump is President.

I don't wish to be alarmist, because their will be far too much of that going around, but the man has "American Erdogan/Duterte" written all over him.
You think an Amendment will be passed?
His Divine Shadow

K. A. Pital wrote:It's Brexit times fifty.

This is actually happening and I wonder if the problem with the "mild" left is that they entirely forgot the people they need to defend.

Why did this happen? Will at least some of those who said that the status-quo of the US political elites was ok admit they were wrong?
Been asking this question for both europe and US for a while. How much farther must it go before the left changes course?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

And where the fuck is that Hillary supporter Q99? When people told him Hillary was a bad candidate, did he finally realize how bad of a candidate she is, in this crushing defeat?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

All the hyperventilating aside, how bad can it truly get? I mean we've gotta have a little faith in the strength and integrity of America's democratic institutions right?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gaidin wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: This presupposes that their will be a functional political opposition or a free election in four years if Trump is President.

You think an Amendment will be passed?
Perhaps not that. But I fear that Republicans will pass voter suppression laws, engage in voter intimidation, and do it with the full support of an Alt. Right Supreme Court, to the point that any "election" is likely to be a meaningless farce. Basically, more of the same, but with a free hand.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

So far it is just a dick president. In both senses of the word.

Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:Anyway, barring a giant meteorite landing on Trump tower, this election's over. For the first time, I must admit that I am legitimately ashamed of being a citizen of the United States.
What, you weren't when the torture stuff and gitmo came out? Really?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Wonder if the Democrats will do some serious soul-searching on what went wrong instead of trotting out excuses.

I'm reminded of Kerry's campaign against Bush. Ok, you've established that you're not your opponent. But what exactly do you stand for?

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Mlenk wrote:All the hyperventilating aside, how bad can it truly get? I mean we've gotta have a little faith in the strength and integrity of America's democratic institutions right?
The bureaucracy is great at dragging it's feet when it wants to. We haven't even implemented all of the ACA almost 8 years later. It's not going to be pretty, but 4 years of him isn't fatal. Especially if he's incompetent enough that the Senate flips in 2 years. That'd require actual progressive Democrats running though, one of my disappointments of the night was the big victory for Kamala Harris for Senate over her much less establishment democratic rival.
Tvpnbb
Redshirt

Post by Tvpnbb »

As I remember someone saying before the election, the Democratic loss of the presidential race will really lay bare just how bad foundations the party rests on. In the past years they have lost control of both of the chambers in the congress and a majority of states (governorships, state upper and lower houses). Basically the only thing that they were succesful at were presidential elections, and now they failed even at that.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:
There were a significant number of Americans, I think, who told ourselves (I did) that that wasn't really us.

It would have been nice, in retrospect, had that been true, but we have a lot of improving to do before it becomes true.
K. A. Pital wrote:It's Brexit times fifty.

I will admit that I was wrong to think it was what it was. I don't think I thought it was okay, but it is significantly worse than I had believed.

I will further note that "the US workers voted Trump" is true only if you are careful about how you define "worker." Precisely how do you go about doing that?
K. A. Pital wrote:And where the fuck is that Hillary supporter Q99? When people told him Hillary was a bad candidate, did he finally realize how bad of a candidate she is, in this crushing defeat?
I honestly doubt that Sanders would have done a better job. Sanders never succeeded in mobilizing, say, a groundswell of the lower and lower-middle classes to support him.

In a country that actually had a real, labor-embracing, mid-left to far-left political movement, Sanders or someone like him might have been a better choice. But the United States has not been such a country since, oh, the 1930s.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Simon_Jester wrote:I will admit that I was wrong to think it was what it was. I don't think I thought it was okay, but it is significantly worse than I had believed.

I will further note that "the US workers voted Trump" is true only if you are careful about how you define "worker." Precisely how do you go about doing that?
White, former industrial workers who had difficulties in job transition?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Exonerate wrote:Wonder if the Democrats will do some serious soul-searching on what went wrong instead of trotting out excuses.
Don't be silly! Dirty Fucking Hippies will always get the blame.
His Divine Shadow

Another nail in globalizations coffin. You wanna win elections, be against it.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

ray245 wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I will admit that I was wrong to think it was what it was. I don't think I thought it was okay, but it is significantly worse than I had believed.

White, former industrial workers who had difficulties in job transition?
Okay, so do we have actual post-election polls on how they voted?

Also, that's ignoring a hell of a lot of "workers." If a woman who cleans toilets isn't a "worker" because of her skin color, or a guy who drives a bus isn't a "worker" because that's not industry, then "worker" has become a word without a meaning.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Both CNN and NBC have reported that Hillary Clinton called Donald Trump to concede the race.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Mlenk wrote:All the hyperventilating aside, how bad can it truly get? I mean we've gotta have a little faith in the strength and integrity of America's democratic institutions right?
Bwah. Hah. Hah.

Faith in the Vichy Republicans of Congress? Or the Supreme Court that will soon be dominated by the far Right? Or the FBI that allegedly leaked information on the Clinton emails to Giuliani?

Well... their are still some institutions in our country that are not totally corrupt. Their are good Congressmen and state governments and judges. We'll have to hope its enough to at least limit the damage.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:Both CNN and NBC have reported that Hillary Clinton called Donald Trump to concede the race.
Say it ain't so, bro. But it's happened. America, not content to have the clusterfuck Bush as the dumbest President ever, decided to try a psychopath.

I'd commit suicide, but why? He's the asshole.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thanas wrote:All I can say is that Comey should take a long look in the mirror and congratulate himself. What a good fucking job he did.

Goddamn it, I knew Americans were stupid, but I never thought they'd be this stupid.
Oh, and here we go, the inevitable collective guilt bigotry circle jerk.

Keep in mind that it is a distinct minority of Americans who supported Trump. Or did you forget that their are millions upon millions of us who literally cannot vote?

Oh, but I know you won't. You viewed all Americans as lesser, and as collectively guilty, long before this.

Well hey, I guess their's your silver lining- you get to give yourself a nice big pat on the back for how much better you are than us.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Oh, and here we go, the inevitable collective guilt bigotry circle jerk.

Keep in mind that it is a distinct minority of Americans who supported Trump. Or did you forget that their are millions upon millions of us who literally cannot vote?

Oh, but I know you won't. You viewed all Americans as lesser, and as collectively guilty, long before this.

Well hey, I guess their's your silver lining- you get to give yourself a nice big pat on the back for how much better you are than us.

Do fuck off with your wild assumptios.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thanas wrote:
I refuse to be ashamed to be an American. I refuse to let Donald Trump define America, a nation of over two centuries and over three hundred million individuals, most of whom never cast a vote for him. And I refuse to tolerate the ideology of collective guilt- for one thing, its far too Trumpian.

Blame me for my own actions if you will. Blame me for not doing more to prevent this outcome. I'll own up to that. I could have done more, even if it wouldn't have changed the result.

But I won't be ashamed simply because my father was an American.