In my own words, why Mecha aren't better than tanks....

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Dark wrote:Just as an aside, by my calculations using BattleTech and Heavy Gear (converting BT over through the fact that an Autocannon 2 from BT and a Light Autocannon from HG are the same caliber, and assuming equal damage), the AC/20, heaviest 'Mech carried weapon in the game, has an armor penetration capability of 676mm of steel. The typical Medium Laser can penetrate 169mm, and a Small Laser only 100mm. Don't even get me started on the rockets (I refuse to call them "missiles," since even a Katyusha was superior to a BattleTech LRM).
Awhile ago, Graeme & I did a different estimate based on the M1A1's penetrator's KE and the Gauss Cannon's KE (along with a few other things). He came up with 5 damage for the M256 smoothbore firing an APFSDS round. I consider this one of the most generous estimates for BTech, most others have MGs defeating their armor.

Google Groups Linkage
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Your writing is great, Steve - But we all know, technology-wise, what terran army should have been fighting the Clanners!:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/majsvetlan ... attack.jpg
Dammit, I was looking for that image!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Puny crap, America threw a 240mm howitzer on a SP chassis back in 1945 called the T.92. Just give the thing HEAT and HESH rounds
I was seriously considering making an 8" TD for him, but thought that 175mm was enough :twisted:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Besides, he's already going to get his LOSAT-filled fun and goodness.... :twisted:
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I kinda wish FASA had taken the format from Renegade Legion & Chrimson Skies when they redid Battle tech the third or fourth time....

the whole reactor output-energyload/weight with a base mulitplyer depending on the type of locomotion (Which would give wheels bat out of hell speeds in open ground.) would be a better formulaw, and those shaped charge templates have a better feel, especially when you cover your sheets with plastic and use overhead projector pens for reuse.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

probl;em would be you would need a custom load out sheet for every vehicle USING the sheets from RL.And they looked like a pain to just write up
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Steve wrote:Besides, he's already going to get his LOSAT-filled fun and goodness.... :twisted:
Ahh, LOSAT. Nothing more humiliating to a Mech driver than being killed by a relatively inexpensive, unarmored vehicle.
The Yosemite Bear

Hundreds of cheap Soviet sholder launched goodness, deployed to ground forces?

Or more to the point, let the damn thing pass bby your building then break out the RPG 7's

It took a couple hundred misses to bring down a Black hawk in Samolia, a mech is a slower moving, more stable target. It shouldn't take more then half a dozen to completly destroy a battle tech mech with a flanking RPG attack.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Given the observed performance of Mechs [e.g. not Steve's in-fanfic uberMechs], a single early RPG-7 should be capable of penetrating the armor and causing some messy damage.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote:
Steve wrote:Besides, he's already going to get his LOSAT-filled fun and goodness.... :twisted:
Ahh, LOSAT. Nothing more humiliating to a Mech driver than being killed by a relatively inexpensive, unarmored vehicle.
That can be hauled around by a UH-60L...
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
phongn wrote:
Or a HMMWV.... :twisted:
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

He meant that the HMMWV+LOSAT combo could be carried by a UH-60
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Steve wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:
phongn wrote: Ahh, LOSAT. Nothing more humiliating to a Mech driver than being killed by a relatively inexpensive, unarmored vehicle.
Or a HMMWV.... :twisted:
I meant the HMMWV carrying LOSAT can be picked up as a sling load by a UH-60L.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

phongn wrote:He meant that the HMMWV+LOSAT combo could be carried by a UH-60
Oh....

I'll make a :twisted: smiley anyway.

Those poor, doomed Clanners. :twisted:8)
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Bah, if we ignore your supply uberMechs, then mass-produce RPG-7s and we'll end the threat for good.

Meanwhile, we can teach the Inner Sphere, I dunno, real tactics for warfare and crush the Clans now.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

phongn wrote:Bah, if we ignore your supply uberMechs, then mass-produce RPG-7s and we'll end the threat for good.

Meanwhile, we can teach the Inner Sphere, I dunno, real tactics for warfare and crush the Clans now.
Yeah, but then the Giuseppians will still have to be dealt with. 8)
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Steve wrote:
phongn wrote:Bah, if we ignore your supply uberMechs, then mass-produce RPG-7s and we'll end the threat for good.

Yeah, but then the Giuseppians will still have to be dealt with. 8)
Orbital bombardment, it's the only way to be sure.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

The shaped charge mine should not have blown off the mech's leg
completely clear. Steve, that is NOT how shaped charge warheads work.

800mm penetration route by a demonstration HEAT round from V. Fofanov's
Russian Armor page.

Note the extremely focussed force of destruction.

In the book "No Victor, No Vanquished", on the 1973 Middle East war,
the author recounts how foreign journalists saw knocked out Israeli
Centurions, completely undamaged, except for a neat little hole drilled
into their turret fronts by AT-3 SAGGER HEAT warheads.

What should have happened is the mech is surrounded in smoke from
the warhead's detonation, and it appears to be undamaged, except for
a little hole in the kneecap.

But when the mech pilot tries to walk, the ruined knee joint completely
siezes up much the same way that your leg would sieze up after someone
drilled your kneecap out with a Black and Decker Cordless drill.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Yosemite Bear

Or for B-tech terms where everything is HE and HESH (Gee, the autocannons and rail guns are used to clear whole hexes of forest in six seconds...), it would be saying 1/4 of the damage is done to the armor, the other 3/4 are automatic internal hits, with one garunteed critical.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Very well, I'll change the device to a satchel charge. ComStar-provided, since the Inner Sphere has some nice anti-'Mech weapons for their infantry.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard wrote: 800mm penetration route by a demonstration HEAT round from V. Fofanov's
Russian Armor page.
Of course, it doesn't show what happens after it penetrates the armor - this one was completely stopped.

I've seen strobelight pictures in various books of a HEAT round penetrating - the jet suddenly expands on the inside of the armor plate, with predictably deleterious effects.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Another nitpick. Why would Merkavas be carrying HEAT rounds in their
main guns during an urban clearing operation? Most of the construction
of the buildings in the West Bank are of very shoddy construction.
You would only need HEAT if you were say, blowing up Yasser Arafat's
palace, to blast thru the thick walls of that place.

By changing the initial Main gun rounds of the Merks from HEAT to HE,
you would be more accurately representing a urban combat clearing
operation.

Also, you'd be able to insert the following soundbite from the Merkava
crew:

"Sir, We have HE loaded, not HEAT!"

"FUCK IT, FIRE ANYWAY!"

*Boom*

It's faster to just fire the round in the barrel, rather than
unloading it to change out the round.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard wrote:Another nitpick. Why would Merkavas be carrying HEAT rounds in their
main guns during an urban clearing operation? Most of the construction
of the buildings in the West Bank are of very shoddy construction.
You would only need HEAT if you were say, blowing up Yasser Arafat's
palace, to blast thru the thick walls of that place.
See, Shep? Constructive criticism good :D
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

phongn wrote: See, Shep? Constructive criticism good :D
Urk, I came up with a way for Mechs loaded with Gauss rifles
and autocannons to penetrate tank armor at long range, despite
being unable to penetrate the frontal glacis of the Merkavas in reality...

PLUNGING FIRE :twisted:

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard wrote:
phongn wrote: See, Shep? Constructive criticism good :D
Urk, I came up with a way for Mechs loaded with Gauss rifles
and autocannons to penetrate tank armor at long range, despite
being unable to penetrate the frontal glacis of the Merkavas in reality...

PLUNGING FIRE :twisted:
Oooh, nasty. Don't let the Great Leader hear of this treachery, though!