BREAKING NEWS ONLY

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Stas Bush:
Red Halfmoon hospital bombed, Reuters says.
The English word is 'Crescent'.
Halfmoon may be a literal translation from German, but that's not the name of the Red Crescent Society in English.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

The GROM is a tough unit. They operated in Haiti and the Balkans with great success. I had no idea they were involved in Iraq as well.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Supposedly the USMC has captured a bridge over the Tigris river at Al Kut, and is now fighting in the city. Iraq wants urban combat, but I still don’t see why there not at least partially dropping there bridges.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Supposedly the USMC has captured a bridge over the Tigris river at Al Kut, and is now fighting in the city. Iraq wants urban combat, but I still don’t see why there not at least partially dropping there bridges.
May not have time, or the orders to blow the bridge dont come in time from the central command. Iraq's Military(much like the rest of the Arab world's) is driven from the top down. Front line commanders may not have the authority to order the bridges blown, and by the time orders are issued, we've already taken the bridge. Although your right that it makes NO tactical sense to not blow the bridges .....
BotM
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

2 Iraqi divisions smashed. Way to Baghdad mostly clear.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=2497815
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Army UH-60 BlackHawk shot down. 7 killed, four wounded.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Local radio station (ABC affiliate) is reporting a F-18 was shot down over Iraq. Did not specify if it was a Navy or Marine F-18.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:Local radio station (ABC affiliate) is reporting a F-18 was shot down over Iraq. Did not specify if it was a Navy or Marine F-18.
It was Navy, off the Kittyhawk.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
XPViking
Jedi Knight

Al-Jazeera halts Iraq broadcasts

Post by XPViking »

BBC News wrote:The Arabic news channel al-Jazeera says it is suspending its reports from Iraq in protest after Baghdad banned two of its correspondents from working there.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2911935.stm

XPViking
8)
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

4 miles, according to yahoo.

100 miles according to baghdad.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Darth PhysBod
Youngling

Post by Darth PhysBod »

Nearly a very ugly scene at Najaf. US troops wanted to move up to the mosque, a large crowd decided they weren't going to let them; "City ok, mosque no". Fortunatly cooler heads prevailed, the clerics calming the crowd down, helped when the US commander ordered his troops to kneel and lower their weapons, then eventually withdrawing.

"Everybody smile!" :)
Master of the boffin, Formerly known as Evil S'tan

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) "That's no ordinary rabbit!...that's the most foul, cruel and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

My local radio station reported that the USN F/A-18 that was shot down may have been taken out by a Patriot Missile. :? At least we aren't just shooting down the Brits anymore :(

Anyone else think the U.S. guys are relying too much on IFF? I've seen IFF not work or only partially work before so if these guys are all twitchy I wouldn't be shocked if they shoot first and ask questions later when they don't get the correct IFF.

Have there actually been any attacks by Iraqi aircraft?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Tsyroc wrote:(...)
Only if you count ultralight pilots with AKs or pistols... The Iraqis can't put a plane up without AWACs detecting them.
The Patriot batteries must twitchy, and most of these FF can probably be due to faulty IFF's.
Anybody knows the SOP for Patriot batteries?
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Tsyroc wrote:Have there actually been any attacks by Iraqi aircraft?
No, none whatsoever. All Iraqi planes have been staying on the ground, hidden somewhere. There has been some footage of Coalition aircraft attacking couple Iraqi planes that were parked on an airfield somewhere, but it has been suggested that they may have been only mock-up planes.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Iraqi's took out one half of the bridge, only "3 lanes to Baghdad".
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 3Apr3.html

Elements of 3ID within a mile and a half of Saddam International according to this article, and the Grand Ayatollah of the Shi'ite faith is now officially on our side.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

YAY! Less civilians and soldiers to worry about.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=2501924
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Dargos
Jedi Knight

New Law my label Anti-war protesters "TERRORISTS"

Post by Dargos »

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

alleged chemical weapons lab and Al Qaeda fighters found in Northern Iraq

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,83047,00.html
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The Shi'ite religious leader in Najaf, of Ayatollah status, issued a fatwa (religious decree, almost a law) that the Iraqis (especially the Shia'a) should not resist coalition forces and should in fact help them. Supposedly townspeople have begun pointing out minefields and being otherwise cooperative.

It seems the Shia'a, like the Kurds, victims of Saddam, have decided that the US is serious about ousting the Great Hoser if Baghdad and that open friendliness is permissible...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Allied Forces currently assaulting Sadaam International Airport. Leading elemenst of the 3rd ID are now engaged in a "pitched battle" with "up to elements of four REGULAR Iraqi army divisions." According to Fox News there are some unconfirmed reports that there are many dead both militray and civilian in this battle.

Its on the Fox news ticker and CNN ticker, no links yet and my dad called letting me hear the report from the Fox News on air from work.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

If you're interested, I started a new thread explaining Arab and Islamic history here in the Politics forum. Ask questions and people who know other things shoukld feel free to post them. (ahem, Marina)
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Coalition Forces have taken Sadaam International Airport. Prior reports of heavy casualties may have been exxagerated as images of civilians waving to the tanks and troops as they roll into the airport have been circulated by ABC News.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,83087,00.html
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Chirac, sends letter of apology to Queen http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003151453,00.html
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.