TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by Batman »

Controlling the vehicle by thought won't do beans about your reaction speed, or the limitations imposed by the physics of the car.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Controlling the vehicle by thought won't do beans about your reaction speed, or the limitations imposed by the physics of the car.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

TIL the date I'll be sworn in as a Justice of the Peace (woo, more letters after my name :D ).

On a less serious note, I also learned that someone has done a 40K version of The Battle Hymn of the Republic and it's actually good.

Behold:

EDIT:

Ooooo turns out there's an Adeptus Mechanicus version too:

Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL Cheetos still taste like Cheestos when you're vomiting them back up. ew
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

If they're so bad it's actually worse than them tasting like vomit why does anybody eat them?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote: 2024-05-31 08:09pm If they're so bad it's actually worse than them tasting like vomit why does anybody eat them?
That's the problem bats... they still tasted good.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Zaune wrote: 2024-05-30 03:16pm
Raw Shark wrote: 2024-05-29 06:18pmI'm still waiting for the day I can plug the vehicle's cables into my skull sockets and control it at the speed of thought, as I set my eyes to monochrome display and steel guitar plays in my head as I make my getaway...
Just be sure to install an adblocker.
"23 FOUND DEAD WITHIN CITY LIMITS THIS WEEKEND. LUCKY WINNERS COLLECT AT 2:1 ODDS!"

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

TIL I can formally diagnose myself as clinically insane, and it would have absolutely no effect on my job and I can still see patients and do everything else that I normally do.

Your psychologist could be totally batshit crazy and this is totally fine according to our regulatory board.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

muse wrote: 2024-06-01 10:13pm TIL I can formally diagnose myself as clinically insane, and it would have absolutely no effect on my job and I can still see patients and do everything else that I normally do.

Your psychologist could be totally batshit crazy and this is totally fine according to our regulatory board.
Suddenly, Canada and the United States makes perfect sense.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

muse wrote: 2024-06-01 10:13pm TIL I can formally diagnose myself as clinically insane, and it would have absolutely no effect on my job and I can still see patients and do everything else that I normally do.

What if someone else formally diagnoses you?
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Ralin wrote: 2024-06-02 09:25am What if someone else formally diagnoses you?
Same, still completely kosher for me to carry on with my work as usual.

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Well, that explains how Harley Quinn got to practice.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

TIL who my local Conservative Parliamentary Candidate is, I met her (a woman my own age) and the Tory councillor (an older man who didn't say anything) on the campaign trail while I was out walking the dog today.
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Solauren wrote: 2024-06-02 08:18am Suddenly, Canada and the United States makes perfect sense.
That's crazy talk. But it certainly explains Jordan Peterson.

- Havok
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL that one of the local opticians is a very attractive woman of Indian descent :luv: But judging by the ring on her finger, she's engaged :lol:
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

That we all got microplastics in our testicles.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2024-06-14 06:30am That we all got microplastics in our testicles.
You'd think that would be spread more widely, give more people something to be worried about so Something Would Be Done.

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-06-14 08:01am
His Divine Shadow wrote: 2024-06-14 06:30am That we all got microplastics in our testicles.
You'd think that would be spread more widely, give more people something to be worried about so Something Would Be Done.
That might stand in the way of some plutocrat's profits.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL that Laura Woods doesn't know the difference between Slovakia and Slovenia :lol:
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

TIL that Apple TV, showing the level of self-awareness that I have sadly come to expect from multinational corporations in this day and age, has acquired the rights to adapt William Gibson's Neuromancer for the screen.

I am not making this up.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

TIL the Imperial measuring system is actually metric thanks to some shenanigans by Ford and Johansson in the 1920s which defined the inch as exactly 25.4mm.

The full video is really interesting and gives a history of how we learned how to measure things, the part about the standardized industrial inch starts a bit before the 18 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNRnrn5DE58

- Havok
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

muse wrote: 2024-06-22 08:42am TIL the Imperial measuring system is actually metric thanks to some shenanigans by Ford and Johansson in the 1920s which defined the inch as exactly 25.4mm.

The full video is really interesting and gives a history of how we learned how to measure things, the part about the standardized industrial inch starts a bit before the 18 minute mark.

Yeah the Imperial system was standardized to exact metric length as prior to that you had a whole host of different inches that made things very difficult to anyone who operate outside their local area.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote: 2024-06-22 04:27pm
muse wrote: 2024-06-22 08:42am TIL the Imperial measuring system is actually metric thanks to some shenanigans by Ford and Johansson in the 1920s which defined the inch as exactly 25.4mm.

Yeah the Imperial system was standardized to exact metric length as prior to that you had a whole host of different inches that made things very difficult to anyone who operate outside their local area.
I think I know what you mean :mrgreen:
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

TIL the spirit of Boaty McBoatface lives on.
Also, letting people on the internet name things is...dubious...

- Havok
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

muse wrote: 2024-06-24 12:59pm TIL the spirit of Boaty McBoatface lives on.
Also, letting people on the internet name things is...dubious...

I wanted to name one of my game characters as Alty McAltface but couldn't spare the gold for such a thing :lol: