US Election 2024: Grumpy Old Men

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: US Election 2024: Grumpy Old Men

Post by Ralin »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-05-31 09:30pm
What nobody has mentioned yet is if Trump fails in his bid to get back into the White House, won't he just run again in 2028 unless he drops dead of a heart attack in the meantime?
1) He could actually go to prison in the intervening time in that case

2) Four years for him to bleed support and be replaced by a non loser

3) Like you said, he's not getting any younger and could easily just die by then
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Ralin wrote: 2024-05-31 09:36pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-05-31 09:30pm
What nobody has mentioned yet is if Trump fails in his bid to get back into the White House, won't he just run again in 2028 unless he drops dead of a heart attack in the meantime?
1) He could actually go to prison in the intervening time in that case

2) Four years for him to bleed support and be replaced by a non loser

3) Like you said, he's not getting any younger and could easily just die by then
With the diet that he has now, it's surprising he is still alive.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

bobalot wrote: 2024-06-01 07:41am
This is America. Our doctors have lots of experience keeping fat people alive, and he has access to the best of everything. The man doesn't drink, smoke or climb stairs, so that eliminates three major risk factors.

He's not anything like healthy, but he's probably more likely to be alive a year from now than either of us.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Ralin wrote: 2024-06-01 08:08am
bobalot wrote: 2024-06-01 07:41am
This is America. Our doctors have lots of experience keeping fat people alive, and he has access to the best of everything. The man doesn't drink, smoke or climb stairs, so that eliminates three major risk factors.

He's not anything like healthy, but he's probably more likely to be alive a year from now than either of us.
Imagine if the last thing Trump becomes known for is being the the first former president to die in prison :lol:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Attack Trump Verdict or be Exiled, GOP's New Test of Loyalty
There’s a new front line in Donald Trump’s battle to get elected.
Just minutes after he was found guilty on all 34 felony counts on Thursday, I heard from a person close to the former president who described this moment as a “civil war” within the Republican Party.
The historic nature of Trump’s criminal conviction is being leveraged by his campaign as a sort of roll-call vote to see which politicians will defend the former president and which of them will defend America’s legal system. It appears you can’t do both.
Last night, a weather balloon was sent up.
Larry Hogan, a moderate Republican who is running for an open Senate seat in liberal-leaning Maryland, took to social media to urge all Americans to “respect the verdict and the legal process”.
Within minutes, Chris LaCivita, a top official on Trump’s campaign, posted a crystal-clear reply to Mr Hogan: “You just ended your campaign.” The implication: if you’re not with us on this, you’re politically dead.

I asked a different Republican official who had worked on Trump’s last presidential campaign whether he agreed that this moment was a “civil war” for his party. He dismissed the idea. To him, it seems any war that once existed within his party was won long ago - by Donald Trump.
“Even if you don’t like Trump, he’s better than what we’ve got [in Joe Biden],” he said. “It’s an easy choice.”
And for now, it seems that the vast majority of Republican politicians agree with him - at least in public.
Speaker of the House of Representatives Mike Johnson said that Thursday was “a shameful day in American history” and that Trump’s conviction was “a purely political exercise, not a legal one.” Steve Scalise, another top Republican in Congress, said that America’s legal system was operating like a banana republic. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis compared the process to a “kangaroo court”.

But the fiercest defence of the former president may have come from Florida Senator Marco Rubio - who, back in 2016 when they were rivals for the Republican nomination, was one of Trump’s most vocal critics.
“This is a quintessential show trial,” Rubio said. “This is what you see in communist countries. This is what I grew up having people in the [Cuban exile] community tell me about. It happened in the days after the Castro revolution.”
Comparing America’s system of justice - with its independent juries and open trials and rule of law - to that of communist Cuba will stun many Americans. Mr Rubio isn’t just saying that these particular jurors made the wrong call in finding Trump guilty. He is going much further than that. He is making a full-blown denunciation of America’s legal system at large.

But there’s a clear political strategy here. These types of defences align with Trump’s larger belief that many of his issues are not with individuals - whether they be voters or jurors. Instead, he feels that many of the bedrock structures of American government, like its electoral process and its judicial system, its media, its intelligence agencies, are fundamentally and unfairly rigged against him. It’s why, at his rallies, he calls for the “deep state” to be dismantled, to great cheers.
In Trump’s eyes, a claim that America’s legal system is functioning properly is a de facto critique of him - and to criticise him risks alienating both the former president and his sizable base of supporters within the party. It’s a step that many Republican officials are wary of taking.
It’s too early to tell whether this moment could still bubble into a civil war among Republicans or whether Trump’s years-long grip on his party will ultimately stifle any meaningful wave of dissent.

What’s apparent, though, is how ferocious the Trump camp has been in shoring up support.
Throughout Donald Trump’s political career, there have been a handful of scandalous moments where there was a very real risk that he could lose the support of his party: the Access Hollywood tape, his impeachments, his indictments, the FBI raid on his home - the list goes on.
For now, he seems to have avoided losing the most prominent politicians within his party. But the same might not be true for voters.
Earlier this month, an ABC News/IPSOS poll found that one fifth of Donald Trump's supporters said they would either reconsider or withdraw their support for him if he were convicted of a felony.

In an era when presidential elections are ultimately decided by a few thousand voters in a few swing states, it remains to be seen whether this guilty verdict will ultimately move that dial.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I get that people were hoping that the GOP would, like Thulsa Doom's cultists in , drop their candles in the pool and go home once they see their demi-god exposed as just a wicked old man who would gladly sacrifice any and all of them for his own fun and profit. The problem is that MAGA morons aren't just looking for a surrogate daddy figure. They love Trump because he hates those whom they hate, and conversely they despise the sorts of people who loathe Il Douchebag. They think Trump is one of them and act accordingly.

I'm worried that like the Confederate lackeys near the end of the Civil War, MAGA cultists will resort to arson, bombings and assassinations.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Elfdart wrote: 2024-06-02 12:59am I'm worried that like the Confederate lackeys near the end of the Civil War, MAGA cultists will resort to arson, bombings and assassinations.
Oh, I feel that they'd LIKE TO. I just think the majority of them are too brainless, clueless, old, or scared of the consequences to actually try it. Remember a lot of senior citizens follow Trump, and they're not the type to break the law most of the time.

I'm also hoping they're still a bit shaky after the Jan 6th failure and all the people who were punished. I've heard that they view people trying to get something like that going again as "THE FEDS TRYING TO TRICK US" and I hope they continue to be too paranoid of THE FEDS to actually mobilize.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-06-02 07:16pm I'm also hoping they're still a bit shaky after the Jan 6th failure and all the people who were punished. I've heard that they view people trying to get something like that going again as "THE FEDS TRYING TO TRICK US" and I hope they continue to be too paranoid of THE FEDS to actually mobilize.
My go-to is to remind folks to tell any MAGA family that half of them are FBI informants. Considering the type who could do something have "trouble with the law", they're half-way there already: ready to cut a deal to spare themselves jail time.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I didn't want to drag the latest IvP thread off into an election tangent, so I made this here.

Biden has been a Zionist for a while, in a blood and guts style as opposed to peace and love. He probably won't put American boots on the ground, but he'll send Nikki Haley autographed bombs over.

I get that he's considered the lesser evil compared to Trump in this and a lot of other areas, but asking people to vote said evil into office is asking them to be complicit in his evil. You may be able to live with it, but many will not. In a voting season where some voters in key areas hold strong opinions on this area, Team Biden will need to do better on the subject than "Biden bad, but Trump worse."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-06-05 08:17am I didn't want to drag the latest IvP thread off into an election tangent, so I made this here.

Biden has been a Zionist for a while, in a blood and guts style as opposed to peace and love. He probably won't put American boots on the ground, but he'll send Nikki Haley autographed bombs over.

I get that he's considered the lesser evil compared to Trump in this and a lot of other areas, but asking people to vote said evil into office is asking them to be complicit in his evil. You may be able to live with it, but many will not. In a voting season where some voters in key areas hold strong opinions on this area, Team Biden will need to do better on the subject than "Biden bad, but Trump worse."
Right now, I'll hold my fuckin' nose and vote Biden because Trump *IS THAT MUCH WORSE* and I am not letting that bastard near office ever again.

But I'm female, and I have REASONS other than who's doing what in Israel to vote to keep Trump out.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-06-05 08:17am You may be able to live with it, but many will not.
We are ALL going to have to "live with" whomever gets voted in this November. Except, of course, for the people who won't survive the next four years.
Gandalf wrote: 2024-06-05 08:17amIn a voting season where some voters in key areas hold strong opinions on this area, Team Biden will need to do better on the subject than "Biden bad, but Trump worse."
"Team Biden" is not saying "Biden bad". They're claiming Biden is good. A good chunk of the Democratic party, though is not "Team Biden". They are also not "Team Trump". Then there are the independents who don't like either choice.

When there are no good choices you still need to choose.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Unless you just don't care anymore, of course.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Zaune wrote: 2024-06-07 07:57pm Unless you just don't care anymore, of course.
it this point, if you don't care, vote Biden, to keep Trump out!
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I think you misunderstand me. I was referring to the people who are just so sick of having to choose between a party that's making a half-hearted effort to hal the enshittification of the country and a party that's gleefully accelerating it that they just don't see the point in trying anymore.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Zaune wrote: 2024-06-08 05:40am I think you misunderstand me. I was referring to the people who are just so sick of having to choose between a party that's making a half-hearted effort to hal the enshittification of the country and a party that's gleefully accelerating it that they just don't see the point in trying anymore.
And the former is actively accelerating some issues themselves, possibly more ably than the Republicans would. Such as the previously mentioned mass murder and ethnic cleansing in Palestine.

More and more what I keep coming back to is that I'm not responsible for who the Republicans vote for and seriously fuck anyone who tries to tell me I am. All that horrible shit Trump will do if he's elected is a great reason for me not to vote for him, which is why I'm not going to do that. That doesn't mean I'm voting for Biden.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2024-06-08 06:53am More and more what I keep coming back to is that I'm not responsible for who the Republicans vote for and seriously fuck anyone who tries to tell me I am. All that horrible shit Trump will do if he's elected is a great reason for me not to vote for him, which is why I'm not going to do that. That doesn't mean I'm voting for Biden.
ONCE MORE FOR IN THE BACK --

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHO THE GOP VOTES FOR. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY OWN PERSONAL VOTE ONLY.

And if my vote is more a Anti-Trump than a por-Biden, then so be it, I am taking responsibility to keep Trump out of office.

Thanks Ralin :)

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Donald Trump Supporters Keep Getting Hospitalized at His Rallies
Published Jun 10, 2024 at 7:30 AM EDT
Updated Jun 10, 2024 at 9:51 AM EDT

A number of people were hospitalized during former President Donald Trump's campaign rally in Las Vegas on Sunday following similar heat-related issues during an event in Phoenix, Arizona.

The presumptive 2024 Republican presidential nominee took to the stage in the key swing state of Nevada on Sunday amid a heat wave across western parts of the United States. The temperature in Las Vegas reached around 105 degrees Fahrenheit that day.

The Clark County Fire Department said six people were taken to a hospital, while another 24 received medical attention on site. The Associated Press (AP) reported that "most, if not all," of the calls they responded to were due to the heat. A further 97 people utilized the cooling tents emergency services set up on-site to help with the extreme heat.

Last week, the heat wave also caused 11 people who were waiting to see Trump speak in Phoenix to need hospital treatment.

Newsweek reached out to Trump's office via email for comment.

Trump's campaign team had prepared for the extreme heat at the rally in Las Vegas and announced a number of "comfort measures" for the event.

This included providing thousands of bottles of water and allowing small umbrellas to be brought on-site. Tents and misting fans were also set up around the park and in line to help people cope with the sweltering conditions, and "ample" medical staff was also present in case of emergencies.

Days earlier, on June 6, a town hall event hosted by the conservative group Turning Point USA was held in Dream City Church, where temperatures hit around 111 degrees by mid-afternoon.

The line to get in to see the former president speak started forming in the morning several hours before the event began. The Arizona Republic reported that temperatures had already reached 96 degrees by 10 a.m. and that one woman collapsed while standing in line just minutes before the doors opened.

A spokesperson for the Phoenix Fire Department told Newsweek that fire personnel transferred a total of 11 people to the hospital due to "reports of heat exhaustion."

Nevada GOP Chair Michael McDonald downplayed suggestions that the extreme conditions would cause a problem for local Trump supporters.

"This is a dry heat. This ain't nothing for Las Vegas people," McDonald told the AP. "But what it symbolizes for the rest of the United States—we will walk through hell [to elect Trump]."

The former president even joked about people being severely affected by the heat while speaking on stage on Sunday.

"By the way, isn't the breeze nice? Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter," Trump said.

"I don't care about you, I just want your vote. I don't care," he added, prompting some laughter from the crowd. "See now, the press will take that, and they'll say, 'He said a horrible thing.'"

Trump also told the crowd to let staff know if they were feeling unwell, as "we have people; they'll pick you up right away."

"You know they were so worried. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you," Trump added. "And they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog."

In October 2020, seven people were hospitalized after a late-night Trump rally at Eppley Airfield in Omah, Nebraska, where outside temperatures hit freezing point. Many of the thousands of attendees were stranded outdoors waiting for shuttle buses, while some underestimated the distance from the event to the parking lot and tried to walk back, AP reported at the time.

It is not yet known where Trump will hold his next 2024 campaign rally.

Update 06/10/24, 10:20 a.m. ET: This article was updated with additional information.
If Trump cared about the health of his supporters, he should have canceled these rallies due to the heat. But why would he care when the people turning up are too fanatical to care about their own health ?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

In another episode of "the fuck is going on?"

Nevada Democratic Party reportedly takes extreme measures to keep Jill Stein off presidential ballot
Carson City, Nevada - The Nevada Democratic Party is reportedly suing the Nevada Green Party and the secretary of state in a bid to keep Dr. Jill Stein off the 2024 presidential ballot.

Stein's campaign manager, Jason Call, shared news of the lawsuit on social media – just one day after the team submitted nearly 30,000 signatures in a successful Nevada ballot access drive.

"The Democrats are suing both the Nevada Greens *AND* the Nevada SoS to keep @DrJillStein off the ballot. Papers served an hour ago," he posted to X late Tuesday.

The complaint, filed in the First Judicial District Court of Nevada, lists the Nevada State Democratic Party as the plaintiff and the Nevada Green Party and Nevada Secretary of State Francisco Aguilar as defendants.
The suit reportedly accuses the Nevada Greens of failing to gather the required number of signatures in each of the state's four congressional districts.

Call, a 2024 Green Party candidate to represent Washington's second congressional district, called the move a "disgusting display of fascism."

"Mostly they are trying to tie up our resources so we can’t put them elsewhere. It's a WalMart approach to overwhelming the competition," he wrote.
Call's original tweet is at the link posted.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Did the Nevada Greens get enough signatures ?

Because if it looks like they didn't, then this lawsuit seems reasonable.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-06-13 02:21am In another episode of "the fuck is going on?"...
The two big parties challenging the right of third party candidates to appear on the ballot is nothing new - it's been going on as long as I can remember (back to the Nixon administration) and is a standard tactic to reduce competition at the polls.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-06-13 02:21am In another episode of "the fuck is going on?"

Nevada Democratic Party reportedly takes extreme measures to keep Jill Stein off presidential ballot
Carson City, Nevada - The Nevada Democratic Party is reportedly suing the Nevada Green Party and the secretary of state in a bid to keep Dr. Jill Stein off the 2024 presidential ballot.

Stein's campaign manager, Jason Call, shared news of the lawsuit on social media – just one day after the team submitted nearly 30,000 signatures in a successful Nevada ballot access drive.

"The Democrats are suing both the Nevada Greens *AND* the Nevada SoS to keep @DrJillStein off the ballot. Papers served an hour ago," he posted to X late Tuesday.

The complaint, filed in the First Judicial District Court of Nevada, lists the Nevada State Democratic Party as the plaintiff and the Nevada Green Party and Nevada Secretary of State Francisco Aguilar as defendants.
The suit reportedly accuses the Nevada Greens of failing to gather the required number of signatures in each of the state's four congressional districts.

Call, a 2024 Green Party candidate to represent Washington's second congressional district, called the move a "disgusting display of fascism."

"Mostly they are trying to tie up our resources so we can’t put them elsewhere. It's a WalMart approach to overwhelming the competition," he wrote.
Call's original tweet is at the link posted.
Jill stein is an AstroTurf candidate who is supported by money from neo fascists. They use her to confuse less politically informed left wing voters to draw votes away from Dems and actual left wing politicians. Gandalf, I suggest you research American domestic politics more because you keep ending up siding with American neo fascists and I am pretty sure you aren't actually on that side.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-06-13 03:35am Did the Nevada Greens get enough signatures ?

Because if it looks like they didn't, then this lawsuit seems reasonable.
It's unclear at this point. All that's come out is that of the ten thousand required, they submitted nearly thirty thousand. But a certain amount of said signatures also need to be from each district. It'd be weird to see a party fuck up such a basic compliance.
Broomstick wrote: 2024-06-13 05:56amThe two big parties challenging the right of third party candidates to appear on the ballot is nothing new - it's been going on as long as I can remember (back to the Nixon administration) and is a standard tactic to reduce competition at the polls.
Yeah, that's certainly how it looks. I really hope that it's a weird misstep, and that it's indeed not the Nevada Democrats just suing to keep an opponent off the ballot.

- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Dark Hellion wrote: 2024-06-13 07:21am
Jill stein is an AstroTurf candidate who is supported by money from neo fascists. They use her to confuse less politically informed left wing voters to draw votes away from Dems and actual left wing politicians. Gandalf, I suggest you research American domestic politics more because you keep ending up siding with American neo fascists and I am pretty sure you aren't actually on that side.
While you don't say it there does seem to be an implied "And that's why it's okay for her rival party to keep her off the ballot" here. Is that what you intended?
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

That was my thought too. If there really is some irregularity with her position on the ballot as bilateralrope suggests then that would be one thing, but resorting to underhanded tactics to prevent "splitting the vote" is how you end up with a situation where Don't Know and its frequent coalition partner Don't Care start polling as most likely to win.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Zaune wrote: 2024-06-13 08:58am That was my thought too. If there really is some irregularity with her position on the ballot as bilateralrope suggests then that would be one thing, but resorting to underhanded tactics to prevent "splitting the vote" is how you end up with a situation where Don't Know and its frequent coalition partner Don't Care start polling as most likely to win.
This is very common in the us and has been for nearly half a century. Why do you think Republicans sued to keep Kanye off in certain states. These third party candidates often do not actually meet the signature requirements because they pay to harvest signatures which are often faked. It's not some cut and dry the Dems are being meanies to keep off the competition. Jill isn't actually competing to win against Dems. She is being employed as a spoiler by opposition parties. In many circumstances allowing these third parties is the anticompetitive choice not the pro competition choice because these parties don't exist to compete.

It would be like letting a soccer team who exists not to win but to try to injured the most opposing players and saying that not allowing them to do so is anticompetitive.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!