Alec Baldwin charged with involuntary manslaughter over death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Alec Baldwin charged with involuntary manslaughter over death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins

Post by Khaat »

"There were real bullets on set, found in a related investigation, but the police didn't reveal this to the Defense" is a pretty serious cock-up.
Yes, the "armorer" was an incompetent nepo-hire, underqualified and over-worked.
Yes, the set was a free-for-all, with real pistol shooting with the "prop weapons" outside of shooting hours.
Yes, Baldwin is responsible for not personally checking that the firearm he was handed wasn't loaded with real bullets.
Yes, Baldwin is responsible for cutting corners and production costs by hiring incompetent professionals.
Yes, the local police screwed up this case.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Alec Baldwin charged with involuntary manslaughter over death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins

Post by Ralin »

Khaat wrote: 2024-07-13 12:06pm Yes, Baldwin is responsible for not personally checking that the firearm he was handed wasn't loaded with real bullets.
Didn't it come up that Baldwin specifically wasn't allowed to do that because it was the armorer's responsibility?

Anyway this all seems fair? Yeah the person in charge of the whole production is responsible for managing his subordinates and all, but given that there was one specific person whose specific job it was to handle the weapons and make sure this couldn't happen he'd have to be really egregiously irresponsible for me to think he should be convicted too.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ralin wrote: 2024-07-13 12:59pm
Khaat wrote: 2024-07-13 12:06pm Yes, Baldwin is responsible for not personally checking that the firearm he was handed wasn't loaded with real bullets.
Didn't it come up that Baldwin specifically wasn't allowed to do that because it was the armorer's responsibility?

Anyway this all seems fair? Yeah the person in charge of the whole production is responsible for managing his subordinates and all, but given that there was one specific person whose specific job it was to handle the weapons and make sure this couldn't happen he'd have to be really egregiously irresponsible for me to think he should be convicted too.
Yes. Checking the gun is not the actors responsibility and, if I'm remembering correctly, that gun was not one that could be checked quickly.

The detail that makes me think Baldwin should have some responsibility is that when a gun is declared 'cold', that should mean that it is empty. But the fatal shooting was not the first time that a 'cold' gun had discharged on the set of Rust, but nobody in charge even asked any questions about how the first discharge happened. They just kept shooting on schedule, which is why the union camera crew quit.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-07-13 02:07pm The detail that makes me think Baldwin should have some responsibility is that when a gun is declared 'cold', that should mean that it is empty. But the fatal shooting was not the first time that a 'cold' gun had discharged on the set of Rust, but nobody in charge even asked any questions about how the first discharge happened. They just kept shooting on schedule, which is why the union camera crew quit.
Big difference between some responsibility and should be convicted of a crime.

Might have been justified, might not. But the state apparently had two tries and couldn't prove it without fucking up enough to get the case tossed. That's as much vindication as anyone in that position is going to get.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ralin wrote: 2024-07-13 08:00pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2024-07-13 02:07pm The detail that makes me think Baldwin should have some responsibility is that when a gun is declared 'cold', that should mean that it is empty. But the fatal shooting was not the first time that a 'cold' gun had discharged on the set of Rust, but nobody in charge even asked any questions about how the first discharge happened. They just kept shooting on schedule, which is why the union camera crew quit.
Big difference between some responsibility and should be convicted of a crime.

Might have been justified, might not. But the state apparently had two tries and couldn't prove it without fucking up enough to get the case tossed. That's as much vindication as anyone in that position is going to get.
I'd argue for a negligence conviction at a minimum. But the prosecutors fucked it up so he gets to go free.

Still, I doubt he's going to get another shot at producing a movie. He's too much of a risk for investors, even if the various unions agree to work with him.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2024-07-13 05:13am He can't be tried again because double jeopardy. To be dismissed on this grounds, isn't going to do anything for him in the court of public opinion.
The people who didn't like him will still dislike him.

His fans will continue to be his fans.

Other people who think there was a political/scapegoating element to this prosecution will be glad the circus is over.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-07-20 07:03am
Crazedwraith wrote: 2024-07-13 05:13am He can't be tried again because double jeopardy. To be dismissed on this grounds, isn't going to do anything for him in the court of public opinion.
The people who didn't like him will still dislike him.

His fans will continue to be his fans.

Other people who think there was a political/scapegoating element to this prosecution will be glad the circus is over.
Same can be said for a certain asshole Republican :mrgreen: