Reversing the slow decline of SD.NET

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: Reversing the slow decline of SD.NET

Post by Steve »

aerius wrote: 2024-08-23 05:08pm
Gandalf wrote: 2024-08-21 09:33pm Honestly, I just pop in out of habit. But without preexisting content with which I want to engage, I have no reason to post.
bilateralrope wrote: 2024-08-23 02:00pm Find some core interest that draws people here. Merely letting them come back isn't enough. You need to give them a reason to want to return.
Bingo. We need to understand why SD.net was good and what kept the good folks coming back. Back in the old days, we had a lot of highly intelligent and opinionated members from all kinds of different backgrounds, and this was a place where we could have in depth discussions on all sorts of different subjects along with the requisite flame wars, this was totally fine as long as we followed the (un)written rules. We also had free reign to flame the dumbasses to a crisp and eat them with BBQ sauce, and it was fucking hilarious. The quality of discourse was kept high because all the trolls and morons were ruthlessly abused until they left or got banned, this was appealing for many intelligent folks because it means we can actually discuss things without getting drowned in a sea of bullshit.

SD.net ain't like that anymore, not even close. What made it unique and worth participating in is long gone, it's really no different from any other forum on the 'net, and on top of that it's pretty much dead with only a handful of posts a week. I could go to a karate forum or something and have more interesting discussions than the ones taking place here, what reason is there for sticking around?
Interesting, because I'd argue Wong's "Mockery of Stupid People" is what doomed the community compared to, say, Spacebattles, which still thrives in this era of reddit, Discord, and Facebook. Your "flame the dumbasses to a crisp" approach created an intellectually and emotionally toxic environment where lack of conformity was subjected to emotional abuse that only the most committed (or obsessed) would bother enduring, so they disengaged, and over time this disengagmenet eventually led to no new blood and thus the slow decline of the forum.

This was made worse by the fact that being "intelligent" isn't the same as being right about every topic, so on subjects where objective facts were less available or not as relevant, the attitude of "mock those who disagree with me as that disagreement means they're stupid" undermined actual intercourse as people found new, more exciting ways to call their opponents crude names and titles.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Steve wrote: 2024-08-24 03:25pm Interesting, because I'd argue Wong's "Mockery of Stupid People" is what doomed the community compared to, say, Spacebattles, which still thrives in this era of reddit, Discord, and Facebook. Your "flame the dumbasses to a crisp" approach created an intellectually and emotionally toxic environment where lack of conformity was subjected to emotional abuse that only the most committed (or obsessed) would bother enduring, so they disengaged, and over time this disengagmenet eventually led to no new blood and thus the slow decline of the forum.

This was made worse by the fact that being "intelligent" isn't the same as being right about every topic, so on subjects where objective facts were less available or not as relevant, the attitude of "mock those who disagree with me as that disagreement means they're stupid" undermined actual intercourse as people found new, more exciting ways to call their opponents crude names and titles.
And let's not kid ourselves, banning for trolling and dishonesty (or bigotry for that matter) has never been fairly or consistently enforced. Someone wanna share what Shep did to get kicked from the Discord server and whether it was significantly different from how he acts on the forums?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Grim Squeaker wrote: 2024-08-24 03:00pm Open up some calls for n00bs on some relevant subreddits mayhaps? Ya need fresh blood.
What should we tell them to make them want to give SD.net a try ?

Especially with the added friction of them having to make a new account here.
Steve wrote: 2024-08-24 03:25pm Interesting, because I'd argue Wong's "Mockery of Stupid People" is what doomed the community compared to, say, Spacebattles, which still thrives in this era of reddit, Discord, and Facebook. Your "flame the dumbasses to a crisp" approach created an intellectually and emotionally toxic environment where lack of conformity was subjected to emotional abuse that only the most committed (or obsessed) would bother enduring, so they disengaged, and over time this disengagmenet eventually led to no new blood and thus the slow decline of the forum.

I agree. SD.Net relied on having people who disagreed with the majority, while simultaneously driving away all but the most obsessed. But even the obsessed wouldn't stay, because they would eventually do something that would get them banned. Without them, many of the core members lost interest and also left.
Solauren wrote: 2024-08-23 09:59pmSo long as we're given a few weeks (or a few months) warning off closure, so I can download the threads I'd want to keep (mostly from the Fanfiction area, odd other one), I can live with that.
I'd be starting that archiving as soon as you're sure the mods won't object. My worry is that the final shutdown of SD.net will be when we have another sudden problem that takes the forum down, but Mike never fixes it.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Never posted much because it always devolved into :
Followed by a point then the same repeated ad nauseum broken up like you were trying to talk to religious nut quoting their holy book line by line.
I have never had a desire to get into that and refuse to spend hours trying.

I first got involved when doing research for a star wars roleplay and stuck around so didn't care much for other things, especially being told that I was wrong about things I actually experienced and witnessed first hand. So, I mainly lurked, was a touchstone in a way for me even if I think some of the people who posted were absolutely insane. Then at some point it became mainly news and politics and well, meh.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

aerius wrote: 2024-08-23 05:08pm Bingo. We need to understand why SD.net was good and what kept the good folks coming back. Back in the old days, we had a lot of highly intelligent and opinionated members from all kinds of different backgrounds, and this was a place where we could have in depth discussions on all sorts of different subjects along with the requisite flame wars, this was totally fine as long as we followed the (un)written rules. We also had free reign to flame the dumbasses to a crisp and eat them with BBQ sauce, and it was fucking hilarious. The quality of discourse was kept high because all the trolls and morons were ruthlessly abused until they left or got banned, this was appealing for many intelligent folks because it means we can actually discuss things without getting drowned in a sea of bullshit.

SD.net ain't like that anymore, not even close. What made it unique and worth participating in is long gone, it's really no different from any other forum on the 'net, and on top of that it's pretty much dead with only a handful of posts a week. I could go to a karate forum or something and have more interesting discussions than the ones taking place here, what reason is there for sticking around?
I don't think SDN classic edition was about intelligent or not, but rather being in or not. There was an in crowd who skated on shit that would have got others flamed back to the stone age, or sometimes banned.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I don't see any purpose in bringing back perma-banned people.

Probably half the time I'm here I'm revisiting old threads I enjoyed rather than participating in current conversations.

I, too, would like to archive some threads I particularly liked. A notice of a couple months prior to permanent shut down would be my preference.

How to revitalize this place? I don't know - this format is just not as popular as it used to be. I'm involved in two other forums with a 20+ year history. Both are doing better than here, but neither is what it once was. A lot of people move on with their lives and get involved in other/newer things.

I would like this message board to endure. I do not, however, have any answers on how to do that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ralin wrote: 2024-08-24 04:26pm

And let's not kid ourselves, banning for trolling and dishonesty (or bigotry for that matter) has never been fairly or consistently enforced. Someone wanna share what Shep did to get kicked from the Discord server and whether it was significantly different from how he acts on the forums?
Hilariously, nothing; he was banned on sight because a large portion of the server population said it was him or them.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2024-08-25 08:00pm
Ralin wrote: 2024-08-24 04:26pm

Hilariously, nothing; he was banned on sight because a large portion of the server population said it was him or them.
Makes me wonder how many people were at one time active on here, that drove people off.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2024-08-25 08:00pm Hilariously, nothing; he was banned on sight because a large portion of the server population said it was him or them.
Well that's not what I was going for but suppose it gets the point across just the same!
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The idea of temp bans longer than a month seem pointless to me, it's not as though people are going to come back once a year-long ban has expired, or even a 3 month one come to that.

There's one or two usernames I recognise in the Discord that I know for a fact were banned here years ago, Mr Coffee being one.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Like i started to say on the discord server, this is and has been a country club for nerds. Piss off the social committee director or the golf pro and your ass gets the boot. Same here. Did people deserve to be banned? Yes. Was the banhammer deployed like... Shep in charge of an Ohio class boomer just because someone was an asshole one day? Also yes. Was that *always* a bad thing? ehhhhh..... Sometimes you need to maintain the... je ne sais quoi. I should have been banned half a dozen times for being a cunt. I'm still here. Shep is still here... Elfdart's a fucking moderator.

I'm all for some leniency on the ban hammer. So yea from me on short term bans for being a dick. that's a good idea and God knows i benefited from leniency. Nay on 3+ month bans. More eloquent members hit that on the head already. But un banning people? What... are we going to go find Axis Kast and say hey that Baghdad tiger thing was a hoot, wanna come back? or.. What's Poe up to these days? We just gonna forget that had mock show trials in a virtual coliseum like the sociopaths we all were? Are they?

Sure i'd love nothing less then to catch lightning in a bottle again. This place was fun. So were my 20s but i'm still a grumpy 47 year old fat guy now.

anyway i like a lot of you so come check out the discord server if you don't already. We have gifs! Can you imagine if we had gifs on this shit in 2003? I really would have been banned.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Oh hey, this place is still around. I haven't posted here in over a decade because frankly I hate debating anything now and it's not fun anymore. Anyway feel free to ban me or whatever, I know some of you still enjoy that I guess. I won't be back again.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

General Zod wrote: 2024-08-29 11:53pm Oh hey, this place is still around. I haven't posted here in over a decade
Your last post was in 2017.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ralin wrote: 2024-08-30 04:01am
General Zod wrote: 2024-08-29 11:53pm Oh hey, this place is still around. I haven't posted here in over a decade
Oh what the fuck ever. You want to know why nobody's coming around here anymore? It's this smug newatheist bullshit. Not a single one of you fuckers has grown out of your stupid "debate me bro" attitude and you've made being technically correct your whole personality. Eat shit.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Man. Some people just can't stand being wrong about the smallest thing.
General Zod wrote: 2024-08-30 07:52am It's this smug newatheist bullshit. Not a single one of you fuckers has grown out of your stupid "debate me bro" attitude and you've made being technically correct your whole personality. Eat shit.
I just thought it was funny.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ralin wrote: 2024-08-30 07:58am Man. Some people just can't stand being wrong about the smallest thing.
General Zod wrote: 2024-08-30 07:52am It's this smug newatheist bullshit. Not a single one of you fuckers has grown out of your stupid "debate me bro" attitude and you've made being technically correct your whole personality. Eat shit.
I just thought it was funny.
Shove it up your ass.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I know I should drop this tangent but I'm legit amused at the out of nowhere tantrum from someone going on about what emotionally stunted man babies we all are.
Last edited by Ralin on 2024-08-30 08:13am, edited 3 times in total.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

General Zod wrote: 2024-08-30 07:52am
Oh what the fuck ever. You want to know why nobody's coming around here anymore? It's this smug newatheist bullshit. Not a single one of you fuckers has grown out of your stupid "debate me bro" attitude and you've made being technically correct your whole personality. Eat shit.
8 hours between a "I won't be back" post and you coming back for another post.

It's always amusing when the gap is that short.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-08-30 08:08am

To paraphrase Mike from many years back, yes it's a pointless and kinda silly argument that doesn't relate to much of anything that matters in real life. And you took the time to read and comment on it so stop pretending you're any better than the rest of us.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-08-30 08:08am
General Zod wrote: 2024-08-30 07:52am

Well simpletons are easily amused. Hey, let me know when you're up for something more advanced like peekaboo. Maybe we can eventually graduate to pickup sticks.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

A flaming temper tantrum over the perceived immaturity of others. In a thread about how to make this a more welcoming place, no less. If that’s not the perfect encapsulation of 20 years here I don’t know what is.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Col. Crackpot wrote: 2024-08-30 08:26am A flaming temper tantrum over the perceived immaturity of others. In a thread about how to make this a more welcoming place, no less. If that’s not the perfect encapsulation of 20 years here I don’t know what is.
Not a single one of you possess the self awareness to realize you are why this place sucks. Why should anyone come back if you're not going to listen to people who tell you why it's awful to be here?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

General Zod wrote: 2024-08-30 08:13am Well simpletons are easily amused. Hey, let me know when you're up for something more advanced like peekaboo. Maybe we can eventually graduate to pickup sticks.
I'm imagining the Count from Sesame Street going "One, two, three, four! Four posts since you said you weren't coming back!"
Not a single one of you possess the self awareness to realize you are why this place sucks. Why should anyone come back if you're not going to listen to people who tell you why it's awful to be here?
Says the man who is bound and determined to show off how much cooler he is than all us fatty nerds because he totally doesn't give a shit. 8)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ralin wrote: 2024-08-30 08:52am
General Zod wrote: 2024-08-30 08:13am Well simpletons are easily amused. Hey, let me know when you're up for something more advanced like peekaboo. Maybe we can eventually graduate to pickup sticks.
I'm imagining the Count from Sesame Street going "One, two, three, four! Four posts since you said you weren't coming back!"
Says the man who is bound and determined to show off how much cooler he is than all us fatty nerds because he totally doesn't give a shit. 8)
I was trying to be reasonable, but you couldn't resist getting a fucking dunk in. Never thought I'd say this but Broomstick is right.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

General Zod wrote: 2024-08-30 08:29am
Col. Crackpot wrote: 2024-08-30 08:26am A flaming temper tantrum over the perceived immaturity of others. In a thread about how to make this a more welcoming place, no less. If that’s not the perfect encapsulation of 20 years here I don’t know what is.
My brother in Christ… you are clearly engaging in, and therefore I can only assume enjoying the dramatic play going on.