What the Fuck?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

What the Fuck?

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Why is it that in every episode of Enterprise/Voyager, some alien races says, "Hey there, Lameway/Archer! I have an alien game to play! Wanna play? Of course you do, it's the absolute best game in the universe! You've never seen anything like this!"

And then when they finally play the game, it's a crappy rehash of a common Earth game! Example: Lacrosse ripoff in ENT "Desert Crossing"

But then again, this is the least likely thing B&B has done that has surprised me :P
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

I have never noticed that. ever
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
CorSec
Jedi Knight

Post by CorSec »

True enough, though in one episode of Voyager there was an alien game that was played with some heavy object conisisting of four or six paddles.

We all know that Earth has the coolest games though. Though he didn't need it, you know Kirk knows how to play strip poker.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What the Fuck?

Post by Enlightenment »

RayCav of ASVS wrote: And then when they finally play the game, it's a crappy rehash of a common Earth game! Example: Lacrosse ripoff in ENT "Desert Crossing"
You have to consider New Trek's intended audience: horny American male teenagers who don't know and don't care that there's more to the world than the back seat of a car. Most of these dimwits couldn't find the US on an unlabeled map let alone recognize unAmerican sports. Bozo and Binhead assume, quite rightly, that something like lacross will be so far out of this world that very few members of the target audience will recognize it as a real sport.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

I want to see a ripoff of that cool game they play in Afghanistan, where the players ride horses around the field and they use a severed goat's head for the ball, HEHEHEH!!! I read the players run serious risk of injury, and sometimes get killed while playing!
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Who do you think would be a better quarterback, Kirk or Picard?

Who would be a better linebacker, Worf or Wesley?

Who would look better in a cheerleader uniform, 7of9 or Janeway?
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Golem169
Redshirt

Post by Golem169 »

The answer is: none of them. They would all suck.
A truly wise man once said " With no God, how can we explain pickles?"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Wicked Pilot wrote:Who do you think would be a better quarterback, Kirk or Picard?

Who would be a better linebacker, Worf or Wesley?

Who would look better in a cheerleader uniform, 7of9 or Janeway?

Kirk would definately be the better quarterback having grown up in North America. Picard is French so I would imagine he'd be kind of snooty about the whole idea of playing American Football.

Worf is basically a linebacker already. Wesley might be a goog backup place kicker otherwise the best he could hope for is an assistant coaching position.

7of9 is the cheerleader. Janeway gets to wear the furry mascot uniform with the big fake head. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Who would win a good ole fashion European football riot? The TOS team, the TNG team, the DS9 team, the VOY team, or the ENT team. O'Brien is on the DS9 team, Wolf is on the TNG team, and we can assume that all captains have their shirts ripped.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Unfortunately I gotta go with TNG. Worf is big and tough, and Data is smarter and stronger than any of the others (which isn't saying a lot, I know). Course, Geordi can't see, but I don't think that Bones or Scotty would be very useful in a game of football (though they were great characters in and of themselves). Since I can't possibly bring myself to say that either Voyager or Enterprise has any cool personnel, and since DS9 has nothing on TNG, I have to say TNG.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Riot? Why the Irish of course no questions, I've already run this question before, let me bump it Wicked to debate it there

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton