Real time strategy games

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Shrykull
Jedi Master

Real time strategy games

Post by Shrykull »

Hmm, wicked pilot or Armor pierce maybe you can help me, since you both had starcraft avatars, anyway, is anyone here real good at these type of games? I've played them before, I play warcraft 2 on battlenet, and I usually get my ass kicked every single time, I don't think that particular game you can view the replays on, but I'm wondering how I can improve. ' I'm not exactly a sore loser either, I've played them before and experience is a big factor, but I just kind of lost interest when I can't even get into the game, when I get slaughtered by zerglings in the first 5 minutes or whatever. I don't like sports but at least you can play the whole game and don't lose until the end when it's 125 to 5. Also, the AI in some of the earlier games is stupid, I quit one game of warcraft 2 because my peon got stuck everytime he came out of the gold mine, he just stood there holding the bag, and I had to bring him out and click the return with goods icon, other times, when I send an explorer out into the black he'll get stuck and not walk around that grove of trees to get to where I sent him to. If I knew how and had permission, I'd write my own patch for these problems.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Don't know if it sells anymore (I heard you could order it or something) but you could try Total Annihilation. It, as an RTS, is vastly different from the likes of Starcraft and Command and Conquer.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I'm not as good in multiplayer as I used to be for SC, and I suck at melee in WC3, but I'm good at UMS maps and campaigns...

If you want to mod Starcraft or Warcraft, check out Soverign Modding Empire. They have downloads for all the modding tools you need.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Post by Shrykull »

Shinova wrote:Don't know if it sells anymore (I heard you could order it or something) but you could try Total Annihilation. It, as an RTS, is vastly different from the likes of Starcraft and Command and Conquer.
Well, I'm not a quitter, I want to get better at these games and be able to use the full range of what a race offers me, be able to full utilize the game, just never have been able to on my own, I'll do whatever I need to do to get there, I wonder if it's just raw experience I need, the only thing I really know I've learned from experience is typing, I could do it with my eyes closed, I have like programmed instincts for it now, can visualize any key of the keyboard, you get the idea, the replays really help in telling me what I did wrong and how I can improve.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Look up some guides of what stuff to build. It can help you be more efficient. And use the keyboard short keys to help you control units.

And practice.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Strafe
Youngling

Post by Strafe »

Eh, might as well try Warcraft 3. Not only are there replays, but it's far more fun in my opinion.

C&C Generals is nice, but Battle.Net, at least for me, is far more stable/easier for multiplay. Not to mention Generals is lacking in certain options that seem intuitive to have...(Disable Superweapons etc...)
Plato's Beard. Dulling Occam's razor since...um...a long time ago.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Cheat! No..really. Check out Age of Kings. There's a reason it so many awards. It's a slow game though...
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Shinova wrote:Don't know if it sells anymore (I heard you could order it or something) but you could try Total Annihilation. It, as an RTS, is vastly different from the likes of Starcraft and Command and Conquer.
It's not THAT different, aside from that Commander unit.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

I'm playing praetorians right now. I reached mission 9 with no problems, in the difficult setting. It's easier than many RTS, so I think it's a good game to start.
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

I would suggest playing more Starcraft ;)
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
It's not THAT different, aside from that Commander unit.
I somehow doubt Starcraft and Command and Conquer have the following:

True line-of-sight, affected by terrain (Generals has this)

Turrets that rotate at variable speeds depending on unit (Also in Generals I think)

Firing while moving

Multiple weapon systems, all independent targeting and firing

Extremely easy to use interface (very easy to make build queues, construction queues, etc)

Debris that are affected by stuff like wind, gravity, etc.

Variable wind and gravity

Terrain is taken into full consideration, affecting things like direct line-of-sight weapons and arcing projectile weapons.

A huge variety of units, from infantry, tanks, amphibious tanks, amphibious infantry, ships, subs, various artillery turrets, nukes, anti-nukes, radar jamming, sonar jamming, sniper infantry, gunships, fighters, stealth fighters, bombers, torpedo bombers, seaplanes, mines, crawling stealth nukes, and more.

Great balance in units. Everything has a counter.

There's more but there are people better suited at going into depth on this subject like E1701. And it would compeltely derail the thread as well. So let's just leave it at that Total Annihilation is completely different from Command and Conquer and Starcraft. Take it from a guy who's played all three extensively.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Hotkeys and fast response times are your best friend. Never have a resource gatherer not doing anything; keep them working. You'll just need to find a balance of having a defense and a good resource collection by yourself, depending on the opponents you play.

I'm fairly good at WC3; not an expert, but not bad either. Strategy varies with each race.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Darth Gojira wrote:Cheat! No..really. Check out Age of Kings. There's a reason it so many awards. It's a slow game though...
Slow? You can start rushing around 12 min. *Mongols* and most games last around 30-40 min. of intense fighting if you do it right. That is if your an inter/expert heheheh.
Yes it's a very fun game, with all types of maps and custom scenarios of it's own.
IIRC Star Craft doesn't have Castle Blood, Archer blood, RPG's such as Simpsons, Hitman ETC :twisted:

But I play the expansion The Conquerors though heh.

Cyaround,
Jason
Zone: WH__rEqUiEm_ if you want to vs me :D
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Darth Gojira wrote:Cheat! No..really. Check out Age of Kings. There's a reason it so many awards. It's a slow game though...
Slow? You can start rushing around 12 min. *Mongols* and most games last around 30-40 min. of intense fighting if you do it right. That is if your an inter/expert heheheh.
Yes it's a very fun game, with all types of maps and custom scenarios of it's own.
IIRC Star Craft doesn't have Castle Blood, Archer blood, RPG's such as Simpsons, Hitman ETC :twisted:

But I play the expansion The Conquerors though heh.

Cyaround,
Jason
Zone: WH__rEqUiEm_ if you want to vs me :D
Ah, but if you rush you can't build 50+ paladins and hussars.......AND elephants rule!!!!
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Shinova wrote:Great balance in units. Everything has a counter.
The FARK sure as hell doesn't have a counter.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Sure it does. It's called "Don't be stupid, FARKs are a waste of valuable Adv. Kbot Lab building time. Use Construction Aircraft in mass numbers."

It's a smaller hit on your economy, both in terms of initial investment (Air Plant vs. Adv. Kbot Lab... hmm, which one's cheaper?) and in the drain on metal resources. It also provides you with more units, allowing you to spread out the construction power, or in a pinch become a mobile super-construction plane by having all but one guard a single conplane, then having the conplane build things. Also doesn't clog up your base with ground units nor does it cause delays by throwing problems at the (admittedly not so good) pathfinding.

Core has the Necro, which is useful for rezzing downed structures like a fusion plant.

BTW, did you know the FARK's model was originally designed to be the model for an Arm version of the Necro? The reason it wasn't made so is because the units were made after Cavedog had more or less closed up shop, and the models were the last things remaining for Boneyards to release as new units.

The balance in Original TA is not really so great as to allow use of most of the units in a competitive game between veteran players, but it does provide for a fun game. Plus, if you're not a hardcore vet, it's still fun and possible to use... "less efficient" units while still effecting a win.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

You're lucky that I've saw this since I left Stardestroyer.net and came here just to rumage around.

Basically, RTS depends on the fastest players who could micro well. It depends on which RTS game you are playing but this is what it generally is. Keep making peons tille a certain point (depends which game). You can't fight for long with out any resrouces unless it is a rush but even then it is best to keep making peons. Know your counters. Don't go one unit armies later in the game as they are easily countered. Know your map and where the resources are so that you know where your opponent may be gathering resources and hit those areas. Watch recordings of players better than you. Look at what they did, how they moved their troops, why they did this, etc. Don't let your military buildings idle, keep it producing units with about 2 qued up, not more since it would then be hard to switch to another unit if the need arises. Attack when the opportunity arises, retreat if you cannot win a battle. Losing those units are lost resources. Don't clutter all your peons on one resource, there will be lots of bumping and walking and they are easily raided, separate them to different piles. Don't let your peons idle, that's like not having them at all. Warcraft 2 is a lot of microing, a skill that you'll need to learn to become great. Utilize hot keys, that is probably one of the most important things to do. It saves you valuble seconds that could make all the difference in the game.

Wish I could help more but I don't play warcraft 2, but this info pretty much applies to every (at least most) rts.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 709#364709

Cossacks rule. 8)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

WHERE'S MY WALLET!??!?!??!

*rushes out to buy Cossacks*
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:
WHERE'S MY WALLET!??!?!??!

*rushes out to buy Cossacks*
Get the add-on as well. :)
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete