Resonance Torps vs. Trilithium device, more sophisticated?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

Post by Grand Admiral Ancaris »

Might I suggest some of the potential reasons for the delay between the Launch of the RT and the resulting supernova compared to the Trilithium device.

The Trilithium devices in every case I remember seeing seemed to be, for lack of a better term, suicide devices. Destruction of the target star happening almost immediately. If you have your own forces in system at the time, in all likelihood they will be destroyed.

The RT have a bit of a delay to them, which would allow one to get their own forces out of the system. Though I'm not saying that's /why/ they have the delay.

Well I've probably done enough pointless rambling for now. =P
Grand Admiral Ancaris

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege." --- Unknown

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Lumps, for they are always angry and never subtle." ---Dalton

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." ---Euripides
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

It is stated in the novels that the Sun Crusher could have survived inside a star for Kyp to retrieve it.

Just something to add here.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

Post by Grand Admiral Ancaris »

Ender wrote:It is stated in the novels that the Sun Crusher could have survived inside a star for Kyp to retrieve it.

I'm not positive if you're replying to me, but just in case. I know the the Sun Crusher could have survived a supernova, I meant if there were some of your forces in the system other than the Sun Crusher. Say a system is about to be invaded by the Vong and not enough resources are available to defend it. You could fire off a RT into the star, and then get as many of your own forces out as possible. When the Vong fleet arrives, they discover an unpleasant suprise waiting for them.
Grand Admiral Ancaris

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege." --- Unknown

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Lumps, for they are always angry and never subtle." ---Dalton

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." ---Euripides
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

SirNitram wrote:Because it's KJA's writing, and the Suncrusher is, by his logic, invincible. We can, luckily, derive exact figures for it's armour from this.
Whats wrong with that? It's his writing thats bad, I'm more than happy to keep the concept just as long I don't have to read the story :D
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Ender wrote:It is stated in the novels that the Sun Crusher could have survived inside a star for Kyp to retrieve it.

Pg. 237: "I don't suppose even dropping it into a sun would have made much difference."

Kyp shook his head. "No, I could have recovered it just as easily."

(ref: Champions of the Force)
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:
THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:[quote="Chris O'Farrell
2. The RT's were never said to move at C to my knowledge. Nor did I hear of them having ranges that you described. Kyp didn't get so close to the sun to 'shake off' some Tie Interceptors, a bloody ISD isn't even the slightest threat to him. He went to the star to induce the supernova, not to get rid of the Interceptors. Do you have a source which shows the RT's moving at C? When he was fighting the DS in the Maw, IIRC it has bits where he watches as the torpedoes home in on the DS which he is orbiting closely. If they moved at C, they would move WAY too fast for him to track visualy.

As for Trilithium, That word and others are thrown around and used inconsistently throughout Star Trek so don't assume that they all have similar meanings.
:? Riiiight. So despite the word being the exact same word, we can't assume it has the same meaning and is the same thing?
Read Star Wars The Essential Guide to weapons and Technology at your local Bookstore. (black cover)
It staes that a RT can move NEAR the speed of light. Based on that you can assume they can fired from anywhere in the system.
If they are moving at those speeds it would take A lot of distance, a lot of friction to stop something with that much momentum.

Plus I'm just so right about Trek, they throw words around all the time. Most recently Transphasic. Oh and speaking of phase, they've been throwing that word around since TNG. (but More so in Voyager)[/quote]

Chris O'Farrell You FUCKIN' Troll!!! I clearly showed that what I stated in my post are true, why no Re: You reek of Troll, get lost, if you are gonna Re: a thread at least be a man and come back and admit that your wrong!! :roll:

Damn I was just bored :lol: wanted to incite something.
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman