BREAKING NEWS ONLY

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

A-10's are flying low over Baghdad on CNN. Doesn't say much for the status of the cities air defenses. Even a few days ago the sky would be filled with AAA.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Reuters reporting US Tanks in presidental compound and have seized the Information Ministry -- wonder if infoman was home? :twisted:
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

The bottom of the Fox screen has a quote from an Army spokesman to the effect that "the other day was just an incursion. This is for real."
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

US Forces Attacking Central Baghdad -US Military Mon April 7, 2003 01:00 AM ET NEAR BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A column of U.S. tanks and armored vehicles have launched an attack on central Baghdad, a U.S. officer told Reuters on Monday. "We're attacking right down in the center of the city right now," said Major Michael Birmingham, chief public affairs officer for the U.S. 3rd Infantry.

"The other day was just an incursion. This is for real," he added, referring to a foray U.S. armored forces made into southwest Baghdad on Saturday.

Reuters witnesses in the city said they heard shelling in a presidential palace on the west side of the river Tigris. Iraqi forces lit a oil trench in the area in an apparent attempt to confuse the attackers.

"We can see shells crashing into the palace. White smoke is rising from the compound. There are many soldiers in the area. We can hear artillery, mortars and probably tanks," said Reuters correspondent Samia Nakhoul from a vantage point in the city center.

At least 25 tanks and a similar number of fighting vehicles from the 2nd Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division thrust into the south of the city via Highway 8 early on Monday, U.S. military sources told Reuters correspondent Luke Baker.

The column was in the central al-Karkh neighborhood, near the city's main racetrack and near one of President Saddam Hussein's city palaces, the sources added.

The U.S. advance was receiving close air support.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Hey, guys, I don't want to jinx it, but the Republican Guard seems to have ceased to exist. There doesn't seem to be substantial resistance going on, right now, particularly in the form of anti-aircraft fire. Those A-10's are moving only a few hundred yards from the ground, and they're not even being fired at.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Fox News has video of US 3rd infantry soldiers running the Stars and Strips up the flagpole in front of Saddam Hussein's main presidential palace in Baghdad. They're having technical difficulties right now, but there's videophone footage of the palace with American soldiers running around and no Iraqis anywhere to be seen.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Broadcasting LIVE from Saddam's House, downtown Baghdad,
iiiiiit's FOX NEWS!

Tune into Fox News to see Greg Kelly on the front lawn of Saddam's Main Palace in Baghdad. U.S. Forces securing now.

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Apparently the University of Georgia flag was flown over the palace in bagdad.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Alex Moon wrote:Apparently the University of Georgia flag was flown over the palace in bagdad.
Our U of Georgia denizens are gonna love that :twisted:

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

U.S. Soldiers at Saddam's Baghdad palace just told a Fox reporter that they are going to take a shower in Saddam's personal bathroom!!!

Hey guys... Take a big steaming dump in his gold plated toilet for me!!!

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Infoman just gave impromptu rant outdoors (wonder why) , oh, Americans are not in Baghdad! We have killed them all! The sounds you heard were the bullets we fired to kill them all!

Christ, this bullshit makes a monty python skit seem realistic :shock:
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

AP reporting that British troops have identified "chemical Ali" 's body in Basra, apparently was indeed killed by that airstrike
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Armed clashes between Baghdad people, army

Baghdad, April 7, IRNA -- Sporadic armed clashes broke out between Baghdad people and pro-Saddam Iraqi army following the US ground strikes on the capital.

According to IRNA correspondent Baghdad residents particularly in three areas of the city who were under heavy pressure of Baath's army forces and Saddam's Fedayeen over recent months, clashed with Saddam forces.

During the clashes, Baghdad people killed at least 35 soldiers and Saddam's supporters while Iraqi soldiers attacked houses in the city and killed or wounded a large number of people.
SF/HM
End

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Chip Reid on MSNBC with Marines right now - says Iraqis blew the bridges on the east side

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Burak Gazan wrote:Reuters reporting US Tanks in presidental compound and have seized the Information Ministry -- wonder if infoman was home? :twisted:
That was a false report, the ministry has not been captured or attacked on the ground.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Two US soldiers, two journalists, killed in Iraqi rocket (RPG?) attack on US communications centre on the outskirts of Baghdad.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s826764.htm
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

US forces destroyed in Baghdad.http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=200 ... 1757-8403r HEHEHEHE just a little fun from the Iraqi minister of INFO :lol:
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Vympel wrote:Two US soldiers, two journalists, killed in Iraqi rocket (RPG?) attack on US communications centre on the outskirts of Baghdad.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s826764.htm
I'm hearing six killed by an artillery shell that landed near a TOC. Evidently a Marine LAV took a direct hit from a shell on the other side of the city, leaving two dead and six missing.

Looks like Iraqi guns finnally hit somthing besides the Syrian's.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I'm hearing six killed by an artillery shell that landed near a TOC. Evidently a Marine LAV took a direct hit from a shell on the other side of the city, leaving two dead and six missing.

Looks like Iraqi guns finnally hit somthing besides the Syrian's.
From that, we can assume that the Iraqis have a FO with eyes-on and some form of communication with an Iraqi FA unit -- or they were just lucky.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:The BBC's world affairs editor John Simpson has been injured in Northern Iraq in an apparent mistaken attack on a US special forces convoy by one of their own planes.
NBC is reporting at least 18 Kurdish dead, no word on any Americans.

The convoy had just called in a strike on an Iraqi tank, its possibul the wrong coordinates where transmitted. Thats what caused several friendly fires with Special Forces in Afghanistan.
Latest i've heard is three American dead in that attack, though my source was the Daily Mirror, so maybe that should be taken with a grain of salt...
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

theski wrote:US forces destroyed in Baghdad.http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=200 ... 1757-8403r HEHEHEHE just a little fun from the Iraqi minister of INFO :lol:
Aw, that article missed my favorite Info Minister statements, which included claims that 3/4 of the American troops there had been killed, and that the Americans had begun "to commit suicide on the walls of Baghdad."

Even if you only listen to the Iraqi Info Minister, you will quickly realize that all of the glorious Iraqi victories are getting closer and closer to the capital. I really don't see WTF he's trying to accomplish by simply denying everything. I think he would be much more effective if he came on and said "Look, of course the Americans are beating us. They've got better troops and equipment. That doesn't make their war justifiable. This war is about WoMD. Where are the WoMD? They've taken most of the country and haven't found anything, yet. All Arabs should come to Iraq to help us fight the Americans, etc. etc. etc." As it is, he merely destroys Iraqi credibility with his demonstrably incorrect reports. When you can clearly see American tanks and APC's in Baghdad, it becomes impossible to deny their existence, but that's exactly what he's trying to do.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

the wmds have been found. check yahoo. 20 missiles with mustard and sarin gas warheads, ready to launch.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Enforcer Talen wrote:the wmds have been found. check yahoo. 20 missiles with mustard and sarin gas warheads, ready to launch.
I know. I'm actually writing our article on that as we speak, but for the last two weeks, almost, wouldn't that have been a better Iraqi PR move than what they did? Part of why I'm having trouble respecting the Iraqi senior staff is because I think I could be doing a much better job with what they have.

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Master of Ossus wrote:Aw, that article missed my favorite Info Minister statements, which included claims that 3/4 of the American troops there had been killed, and that the Americans had begun "to commit suicide on the walls of Baghdad."

Even if you only listen to the Iraqi Info Minister, you will quickly realize that all of the glorious Iraqi victories are getting closer and closer to the capital. I really don't see WTF he's trying to accomplish by simply denying everything. I think he would be much more effective if he came on and said "Look, of course the Americans are beating us. They've got better troops and equipment. That doesn't make their war justifiable. This war is about WoMD. Where are the WoMD? They've taken most of the country and haven't found anything, yet. All Arabs should come to Iraq to help us fight the Americans, etc. etc. etc." As it is, he merely destroys Iraqi credibility with his demonstrably incorrect reports. When you can clearly see American tanks and APC's in Baghdad, it becomes impossible to deny their existence, but that's exactly what he's trying to do.
...is reminded of the minister of propaganda in Berlin describing the glorious repulsion of the Soviet hoarde by the mighty soldiers of the Wermacht, just before Soviet soldiers bust down his door and fill him with bullets...
Warwolves G2
jegs2
Imperial Spook

New occupants in Saddam's Palace

Post by jegs2 »

Warwolves G2