Site Updates

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

So where were these 100MT torpedos in 'Pegasus'...?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Rabid Warsies will undoubtedly sneer at the 100 megaton figure, given that it compares rather unfavorably to the 200 gigaton turbolasers of the Star Wars non-canon. However, they ignore the simple fact that we have never seen anything even remotely approaching 200 gigatons out of any Star Wars weapon, save the Death Star, in the real story of Star Wars (the canon). Certainly their own high-end estimates (250 TJ, 1500 TJ, and 701 to 2863 TJ) of the highest turbolaser firepower seen in the canon don't come anywhere close to even 100 megatons (420,000 TJ), much less 200 gigatons (836,800,000 TJ).

Fuck you Darkstar, you linked LIGHT TURBOLASER CALCS!

Oh and by the way,

"We shouldn't be seeing fragments more than a centimeter in diameter."

So it wasn't going to vaporized!
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Just fucking IP ban him so he is banished back to SB, and delete all the threads he links to at his site, thus saving Wong bandwidth and screwing with the layout.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Is SW.com even official?
Bender and God, Futurama
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

"Warsies are sure to claim that they'd simply dialled down the power setting when firing against the Trade Federation ship's sphere-section, but this does not follow: the weapon is a line-of-sight artillery device. It can't be too powerful, or else it will preclude its own utility by destroying itself when fired. "

1. It may have it's own shields.
2. It's unidirectional
Bender and God, Futurama
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

And it says it has to keep a constant stream, which makes it take way more energy. IIRC a TL fires for 1/30 of a second. So a 2 second burst would take 60 times the energy. All for a what? Light/Medium gun?
Bender and God, Futurama
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Isnt 44 MT the derived value frm the TM?

Interesting......

Althought in truth thats only a low end since it could be alot more than it and still destroy the asteroid.

Shouldnt Moo be debating this?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

TheDarkling wrote:Isnt 44 MT the derived value frm the TM?

Interesting......

Althought in truth thats only a low end since it could be alot more than it and still destroy the asteroid.

Shouldnt Moo be debating this?
I don't especially care about DarkStar, anymore. I think I've given Darth Wong plenty of information to work with for the impending Imperial Smack Down (TM), and I think that I have pretty well destroyed his credibility on this particular board.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Master of Ossus wrote:
I don't especially care about DarkStar, anymore. I think I've given Darth Wong plenty of information to work with for the impending Imperial Smack Down (TM), and I think that I have pretty well destroyed his credibility on this particular board.
Then he should be banned and that will be the end of it. And destroy any evidense of his being here.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

You didnt really do much to all his theories just proved him to a poor debater, you also proved that he a skull made of pure lead.

What have his Debates been?

DS SL - Draw.
Warp Turn - Draw.
X-Wing lasers - He got hammered but didnt admit it.
Small Empire - From his wierd view on canon he may have a point but for everyone else hes out there.
ST Human != SW Human - :roll: .

On an unrelated note has anyone visted the ARmarda 2 SW Vs ST forum - they think Lord Wong is evil incarnate for some reason.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:Is SW.com even official?
No, of course not. Even if it was official, it would go against DumbShit's idiotic policy that only canon information can be used on his website.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

The Final Solution is still in effect.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Hey, I just found FuckFace over at Subspace Comms Network, trying to pass his BS over there.

http://scn.infopop.net/0/OpenTopic?a=sr ... order=date

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I just read the thread that Bernd Schneider started about Wong's site.

I lament that a little of my great respect for him has suddenly died.

I hate you, DarkStar. I hate you now with every once of my being. I hope contract a disease.

Die.

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:The Final Solution is still in effect.
We FS'd RSA? I thought he left crying?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I hate you so much, I fucked up my post.

That should be "I hope you contract a disease."

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

SirNitram wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:The Final Solution is still in effect.
We FS'd RSA? I thought he left crying?
I remember it was suggested but not agreed upon.

Spanky: You are getting a bit worked up arent you?
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote: Fuck you Darkstar, you linked LIGHT TURBOLASER CALCS!
So? Did I not state that those are the highest firepower examples available, except for the Death Stars? Do you have larger examples?
"We shouldn't be seeing fragments more than a centimeter in diameter."

So it wasn't going to vaporized!
Not 100%, no. But, taking a 390 x 210 meter asteroid that you expect to vaporize and leaving fragments, none of which should be more than a centimeter wide, hardly sounds like the basis of an argument that no vaporization was to occur at all. All the same, you'll note that at no point do I assume that the entirety of the object was to be vaporized.
Isil`Zha
Jedi Knight

Post by Isil`Zha »

Any "calculation" on vaporization of that asteroid would be purly conjecture.

Not to mention people don't usually throw in insults and such in such webpages.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

SirNitram wrote:So where were these 100MT torpedos in 'Pegasus'...?
Present, probably. After all, the common Warsie estimates (http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/index.html) are based on a number of peculiar assumptions:

1. Wong inputs 5000 meters diameter into his calculator, despite the fact that the asteroid has more volume than a 5000-meter sphere.

2. By "destroy", it is inferred by Warsies that Riker simply meant "fragment into chunks no larger than 10 meters", as per Wong's explanation of his fragmentation calculator. It is also inferred that these torpedoes will be buried. An Oberth Class starship is significantly larger than 10 meters, true . . . but it is also going to take more energy to ensure that the ship, and the technology it contains, is destroyed.

On the other hand, it is entirely plausible (and more likely) that Riker meant "destroy" as in "vaporize". Even with the 5000 meter figure left into the calculator, and even if you assume the asteroid was merely ice, you're left with a 39.8 gigaton requirement, or 398 100-megaton photon torpedoes. 398 is, of course, more than 275 . . . but the asteroid's hollow nature, and the fact that there would be no need to vaporize the entirety of the asteroid, but merely the space around the Pegasus, could explain the discrepancy. Alternately, my 100 megaton figure is too small, and 144 megatons is a closer figure. Interestingly, this isn't too far from the 154 megaton estimate for "Rise", assuming a much denser asteroid.

If we were to treat the "Pegasus" asteroid with Wong's "hard granite" figures, it would require 480.4 gigatons. Assuming a full 2/3 of the asteroid is hollow, it still suggests a 160 gigaton requirement, or 580 megatons per torpedo. This, interestingly, is rather close to the 500 megaton figure derived from "Skin of Evil"[TNG], and would fit within certain requirements of "Rise" that relate to what are not lowest-possible-end figures.

Not to mention the fact that Warsies commonly claim that photon torpedoes are wasteful, omnidirectional-blast weapons. That will also drive up the figures substantially, if true.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Isil`Zha wrote: Not to mention people don't usually throw in insults and such in such webpages.
Perhaps I've been reading Wong's site too much. :-)
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

DarkStar wrote:
Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote: Fuck you Darkstar, you linked LIGHT TURBOLASER CALCS!
So? Did I not state that those are the highest firepower examples available, except for the Death Stars? Do you have larger examples?

The scaling to HTLs, BDZs...
Bender and God, Futurama
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

DarkStar wrote:
SirNitram wrote:So where were these 100MT torpedos in 'Pegasus'...?
Present, probably. After all, the common Warsie estimates (http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/index.html) are based on a number of peculiar assumptions:

1. Wong inputs 5000 meters diameter into his calculator, despite the fact that the asteroid has more volume than a 5000-meter sphere.
Prove it.

2. By "destroy", it is inferred by Warsies that Riker simply meant "fragment into chunks no larger than 10 meters", as per Wong's explanation of his fragmentation calculator. It is also inferred that these torpedoes will be buried. An Oberth Class starship is significantly larger than 10 meters, true . . . but it is also going to take more energy to ensure that the ship, and the technology it contains, is destroyed.
Prove it.
On the other hand, it is entirely plausible (and more likely) that Riker meant "destroy" as in "vaporize". Even with the 5000 meter figure left into the calculator, and even if you assume the asteroid was merely ice, you're left with a 39.8 gigaton requirement, or 398 100-megaton photon torpedoes. 398 is, of course, more than 275 . . . but the asteroid's hollow nature, and the fact that there would be no need to vaporize the entirety of the asteroid, but merely the space around the Pegasus, could explain the discrepancy. Alternately, my 100 megaton figure is too small, and 144 megatons is a closer figure. Interestingly, this isn't too far from the 154 megaton estimate for "Rise", assuming a much denser asteroid.

If we were to treat the "Pegasus" asteroid with Wong's "hard granite" figures, it would require 480.4 gigatons. Assuming a full 2/3 of the asteroid is hollow, it still suggests a 160 gigaton requirement, or 580 megatons per torpedo. This, interestingly, is rather close to the 500 megaton figure derived from "Skin of Evil"[TNG], and would fit within certain requirements of "Rise" that relate to what are not lowest-possible-end figures.

Not to mention the fact that Warsies commonly claim that photon torpedoes are wasteful, omnidirectional-blast weapons. That will also drive up the figures substantially, if true.
Unless the dug into the asteroid
Bender and God, Futurama
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote: The scaling to HTLs, BDZs...
C - A - N - O - N. That's what we're looking for, here.