BREAKING NEWS ONLY

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

desertjedi
Padawan Learner

Post by desertjedi »

From the BBC website:
0940: Two Polish journalists captured by Iraqi forces on Monday escape their captors and reach safety in the central Iraqi city of Najaf.

Damn I would LOVE to hear the details of thier escape :shock:
It startled him even more when just after he was awarded the Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme Cleverness he got lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists who had finally realized that the one thing they really couldn't stand was a smart ass. - The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

This pisses me off.. Where are the freaking human rights people now???
Jailed Iraqi children released.Dressed Link
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

US Advance on Baghdad

Post by jegs2 »

Good article on US advance to Baghdad...
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Re: New occupants in Saddam's Palace

Post by Raptor 597 »

Alex Moon wrote:
They all need to be holding beers for that picture to be complete. :twisted:
On a related the guy sitting in the chair is from my home town.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

desertjedi wrote:An A-10 warthog went down near Baghdad. The pilot was retrieved safely by Coalition Forces. Central Command stated that it was too early to say if the A-10 was shot down. The story is on Yahoo's front page.
More than one A-10 got hit. The others landed. Did anyone see the picture of the others? I saw a picture of an A-10 and one of the engines is blown open like a tin can. But it still made it home!
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

desertjedi wrote:An A-10 warthog went down near Baghdad. The pilot was retrieved safely by Coalition Forces. Central Command stated that it was too early to say if the A-10 was shot down. The story is on Yahoo's front page.
It was shot down by an Iraqi SAM. Two other A10's were hit by SAMs, but returned safely.

One of them was ALSO hit with AAA.
Last edited by Master of Ossus on 2003-04-08 09:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Strafe
Youngling

Post by Strafe »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
More than one A-10 got hit. The others landed. Did anyone see the picture of the others? I saw a picture of an A-10 and one of the engines is blown open like a tin can. But it still made it home!
I saw the pics too, those A-10's can take a beating and still keep going! I mean it's starboard engine was ripped apart and exposed yet it flew home. Not to mention all the fuselage damage.

Built to last.
Plato's Beard. Dulling Occam's razor since...um...a long time ago.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Anyone have a link for picts of those A-10s?
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Arrow Mk84 wrote:Anyone have a link for picts of those A-10s?
I looked around and cant find any. One thing ive noticed about CNN is they show the really interesting pictures once or twice, then we get hours and hours of a smoking hole, or clips that are days old.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

F-15E Beagle went down, it's two aircrew missing.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Pilot hits yank who shot his copter

A British pilot asked Yanks who shot at him:
"When was the last time you saw a f****ing Iraqi in a helicopter?"

The Chinook pilot snapped after he came under small arms fire from US troops advancing on the North of Baghdad yesterday.

After shouting into his radio that he was under friendly fire,
he put the helicopter down within yards of the soldiers.

Punches were thrown and the pilot and a US Marine had to
be pulled apart.

British military spokesperson Group Captain Al Lockwood
said "I'm afraid it would be an RAF thing to do. Those guys
are not known to suffer fools gladly."
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Looters in Bagdad. (It was to be expexted...)
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

New life in Basrah.

Check out the speedboat! :)
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

NASIRIYAH, Iraq (April 8) - He made an icon out of himself over the years, systematically imposing his face on murals, statues, endless portraits across the land he ruled. Now, as Saddam Hussein's regime crumbles, the Iraqi president's images are falling, too.

The instigators are twofold: U.S. military forces and, at times, Iraqis themselves. Sometimes they do it together.

``Every time we tear down a picture of Saddam, they cheer,'' said Cpt. Peter McAleer, commander of Echo Company of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit. The 15th is helping to hold Nasiriyah, a key crossroads for supplies and military personnel heading north to Baghdad.

Just a few days ago in Nasiriyah, a huge statue of Saddam gazed down upon motorists entering town. Now, after a two-week battle won by invading U.S.-led forces, the enormous concrete pedestal stands empty.

Everywhere in this city, U.S. Marines are pulling down images of Saddam, with residents often joining in. Across Iraq, it's the same story: Sweeps across the landscape by the U.S.-led coalition are followed by attacks on his unremittingly ubiquitous face.

U.S. forces have used guns and spray paint, hatchets and fresh coats of latex and even explosives. In one case, it took only a simple renaming: American forces did that last week when they took over Saddam International Airport.

In the port of Umm Qasr, just across the border from Kuwait, tiled portraits of Saddam are coming down piecemeal - apparently at the hands of Iraqis - and the main picture welcoming drivers to town has been painted over. Elsewhere in southern Iraq, Marines have hauled down metal Saddam billboards by rigging winch chains to them and pulling.

In the north, in Kurdish-controlled Qadir Karam, just abandoned by Iraqi forces, a picture of Saddam waving heartily to his people has a red X scrawled through it. And on Monday, in downtown Baghdad, U.S. forces felled a statue of Saddam in his beret, leaving it lying in a concrete gutter, face down like an inebriated college student.

Such efforts are not simply exuberance, military planners say. They're part of good strategy.

``Any picture or effigy of Saddam Hussein we have viewed as a legitimate target in order to achieve a psychological effect, basically to encourage the local people that this figure of their oppression is no longer the great strength he was,'' Col. Chris Vernon, spokesman for British forces, said Tuesday in Kuwait City.

Saddam has encouraged, even ordered his legend-building over the years and made sure nothing got in the way. Insulting the president, for example, has been a capital offense in Iraq.

But he has also denied he is the engineer of his own myth.

Speaking to Kuwaiti reporters in 1983, when his personality cult was already in full swing, Saddam insisted the cult wasn't of his own making - proving, he asserted, that it was for real.

``If the case we are talking about were not truly genuine, people would not tolerate it for more than six months at most, after which it would be thrown overboard,'' he said at the time.

Today, by all indications, it is being thrown overboard.

``You use your military means to achieve a psychological effect,'' said Vernon, the British spokesman. ``If you can decapitate the head and the brains of any organization, you're 90 percent of the way there.''

msn.com
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Live pictures from Marines in front of the Palestine Hotel.
Let's see the Minister of Information say they aren't there! (Of course, he isn't in Bagdad anymore, but that doesn't matter...)
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

I see the looting of Baghdad by the Iraqi people has begun -- one fellow dragging a freezer down the street, another with a trash can (oh, he must be cleaning up the street). One Marine takes a knee, just in time to be surrounded by four reporters.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Score one for US PR efforts.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

BBC claims Iraqi bomb not US tank killed Journalists:http://media.guardian.co.uk/iraqandthem ... 81,00.html
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

:D

Kinda reminds you of Coruscant on the Last Day of the Empire, eh?

:)
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Burak Gazan wrote::D

As you may or may not know, however, Ysanne Isardkilledthose people celebrating in the streets of Coruscant....Lets not wish the same fate upon these people.

That said, IN YOUR SADDAM! Baghdad falls, almost NO urban fighting, as was expected, AND the lying son of a whore Minister of Informations "We're kicking Coalition ass!" are obviously lies.

Huzzah for the Coalition!
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

That statue of Saddam oddly looks like the one of Iosef Stalin torn down in 1991...
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Captain Lennox wrote:That statue of Saddam oddly looks like the one of Iosef Stalin torn down in 1991...
I noticed the same resemblance.

Of course, alot of what Saddam has done has been very reminiscient of Stalin's atrocities.

Murals of himself as the 'great liberator' everywhere, statues everywhere you look. You seriously cannot go through Baghdad without seeing a picture of Saddam. Kind of like him saying 'I always see you...'.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:
Burak Gazan wrote::D

That said, IN YOUR SADDAM! Baghdad falls, almost NO urban fighting, as was expected, AND the lying son of a whore Minister of Informations "We're kicking Coalition ass!" are obviously lies.
That lying prick didn't even show up for work today.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

The Iraqi ambassador to the United Nations has stated that "The game is over." He also said that he has lost control with the Saddam Hussein government there. It seems that Saddam's leadership of Iraq has come to an end.