V'jur

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

V'jur

Post by NecronLord »

As you should all know I am not a rabid trekkie fanatic, however as I tire of ignorant trekkies saying a GCS could whoop an ISD i now present Trek's most powerful ship ever.. V'gur;

V'jur's airlock

The question is, assuming it makes its way into the wars galaxy intent on causing trouble, what would be needed to stop it?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

You mean V'ger.

I doubt even Death Star could stop it but that is just speculation. The forcefield alone is over 82 AU in diameter. The power to generate that must be enourmus. Anyway the abilities of that cloud is still unknown, so it is going to be hard to debate anything regarding on this... thing. But it does have the firepower to level Earth with no problem.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I know it's witten v'ger, i discovers that as i searched for the photo.

I was just too lazy to change it
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Load up the Ultra-Super-Mega-Duper-Top-Secret Jar Jar Torpedoes to level it.
The Great and Malignant
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

Dark Primus wrote:You mean V'ger.

I doubt even Death Star could stop it but that is just speculation. The forcefield alone is over 82 AU in diameter. The power to generate that must be enourmus. Anyway the abilities of that cloud is still unknown, so it is going to be hard to debate anything regarding on this... thing. But it does have the firepower to level Earth with no problem.
Well that may be true, the DS commander just has to coax it's way into V'ger and fire the Superlaser. In ST:TMP Scotty assumed that if the Enterprise Self-Destructed that it would be Enough to destroy V'ger. "When that much matte and anti-matter comes together, ay, it will."
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Dark Primus wrote:You mean V'ger.

While the forcefield is 82 AU across, V'Ger itself is only about 100 km long, and DITL speculates 97.5 km, with a diameter of 32 km. I accept those measurements because I think the makers of TMP (in the Star Trek: Phase II book?[/i]) said V'Ger was suppost to be that large. I believe that there was also a schematic for V'Ger in the book that listed it's length as ~100 km.

Unfortunately, this is the only external image of V'Ger I could find. But this is what it looks like in the Director's Edition (and was always going to look like), so it's canon.
If I find a really good one, I'll post it.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

If the death star could get inside the forcefield to fire its superlaser at V'Ger istself, I have little doubt that it could destroy it instantly. It may even be that a standard ISD could deliver enough firepaower to do it.

The problem would be getting that close. I believe that Spock saw whole planets and stars reduced to data patterns during his "walk". Thus, there can be little doubt that V'Ger would have no difficulty in likewise reducing a death star.

On the other hand, the death star's shields might just hold out. The Enterprise shields did prevent V'Ger's energy weapon from patterning the ship. though it severely drained their shields, and they only just averted a strike by a second one that would have finished the job.

The death star's shields are doubtless far stronger than those of the original refitted Enterprise, so this would appear to be a question of whose shields would be overcome first. I'm not sure we have enough information to make a definitive judgement on this, but I suspect V'Ger would take the victory.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Perinquus wrote:If the death star could get inside the forcefield to fire its superlaser at V'Ger istself, I have little doubt that it could destroy it instantly. It may even be that a standard ISD could deliver enough firepaower to do it.

The problem would be getting that close. I believe that Spock saw whole planets and stars reduced to data patterns during his "walk". Thus, there can be little doubt that V'Ger would have no difficulty in likewise reducing a death star.

On the other hand, the death star's shields might just hold out. The Enterprise shields did prevent V'Ger's energy weapon from patterning the ship. though it severely drained their shields, and they only just averted a strike by a second one that would have finished the job.

The death star's shields are doubtless far stronger than those of the original refitted Enterprise, so this would appear to be a question of whose shields would be overcome first. I'm not sure we have enough information to make a definitive judgement on this, but I suspect V'Ger would take the victory.
FYI V'Ger had far stronger weapons for use against planets.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

In line with what some others have written, it was clear that V'Ger had digitized entire worlds and start systems...digitizing a DS would prove no obstacle and all assumptions on destroying V'Ger involve getting past the field, I doubt V'Ger would let the DS in so easily. I think in this case. the empire has one helluva fight on its hands.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

For those that want a visual on how large V'Ger is compared to the Earth, here's a screengrab from the Special Edition DVD:

http://vertigo1-2.freeyellow.com/V'Ger_tactical.jpg

And V'Ger's weaponry

http://vertigo1-2.freeyellow.com/Plasma.jpg
http://vertigo1-2.freeyellow.com/Plasma2.jpg
http://vertigo1-2.freeyellow.com/Plasma2a.jpg (taken just a few frames later)
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

Stravo wrote:In line with what some others have written, it was clear that V'Ger had digitized entire worlds and start systems...digitizing a DS would prove no obstacle and all assumptions on destroying V'Ger involve getting past the field, I doubt V'Ger would let the DS in so easily. I think in this case. the empire has one helluva fight on its hands.
V'Ger digitized entire GALAXIES on its way to Earth. I seriously doubt the Empire has anything at their disposal that could stop it.
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Akm72
Padawan Learner

Post by Akm72 »

I have the directors cut DVD of ST-TMP, and I'd recommend it to anyone who didn't hate the original completly - it is significantly better.

However I'd make a couple of comments about it in a ST v SW scenario;

The original ship-destroying plasma ball took down 70% of the Enterprises shields - the anti-planet balls are described by Spock in the directors' cut as being hundreds of times more powerful.
The Enterprise's shields shouldn't be able to withstand more than low 10's of megatons of energy. Which makes the full size anti-planet weapons equivalent to low gigatons.
In the absence of any conclusive evidence for the strength of V'Gers defences, it is reasonable to assume they are similar in scale to it's offensive capabilities - ie low gigaton range, with probably about 100 gigatons as an upper limit.
The AotC ICS proves that this is still far too low to deal with SW capital ships, and definately not the a DS.

Also the directors cut has shrunk the cloud down to a 'mere' 2 AU diameter. And a rough measurement from the film would suggest a size for the V'Ger spacecraft as being closer to 25-50km than 100km.
"Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, "Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it."
- Dan Barker
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Akm72, thanks for the info.

I have the DVD, as well. Good thing it also fixes the "Vulcan has two moons at night" thing. :D

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Akm72
Padawan Learner

Post by Akm72 »

This website (by one of the guys responsible for filming the original model) http://www.barbeefilm.com/vgerpage02.htm claims it was intended to be 1000km long. Though I believe the footage he worked on proves him wrong :)

Now if I could just take screenshots from my DVD :x
"Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, "Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it."
- Dan Barker
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Galaxy Gun.

More mass just means a bigger boom.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Ender wrote:Galaxy Gun.

More mass just means a bigger boom.
Yeah, fire one right up it's tailpipe. :mrgreen:

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

assuming V'ger doesn't simply see the death star / galaxy gun and digitise the SW galaxy...
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Can V'ger target ships with the planet-destroying weapons? :? I dunno they could have used stronger weapons against the Enterprise earlier but they didn't.
Supermod
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

assuming V'ger doesn't simply see the death star / galaxy gun and digitise the SW galaxy...
Now, what evidence is there that V'ger digitized entire galaxies at once, instead of piecemeal... one star at a time?
The Great and Malignant
tharkûn
Tireless defender of wealthy businessmen

Post by tharkûn »

Now, what evidence is there that V'ger digitized entire galaxies at once, instead of piecemeal... one star at a time?
Time?

Voyager six was launched in the 20th century, let's benchmark that at 1950, STI was set in what? 2400 give or take. That's 450 years, 164362.5 days (ignoring the screwyness of leap years in 2100, 2200, and 2300). It takes V'ger 3 days to go from Klingon space to Earth. So let's say it takes V'ger 3 days to travel from 1 star to the next. That means that V'ger has the time to digitize 54,787 stars give or take. Our galaxy has something like 4*10^11 stars. In a nutshell to digitize 1 galaxy star by star in the time frame of V'ger's life would be take a rate of star digitization of about 28 seconds/star (note this implies ludicriously long range digitization or excessive superluminal velocities compared to say hyperdrive).

One could rationalize this with V'ger's actions by saying that it was distracted by its quest for God, had some misgivings, and no longer cared to waltz about at top speed or digitize things from ludicrious ranges away.

Another possible cop-out is time travel (its been a long time since I watched the movie so if its explicitly mentioned I've forgotten). With say 1 day on average between stars you are looking at jumping back in time a billion years, something which only the Q have done in Star Trek history (what a pathetic Voyager episode by the way).

Well this is as good a point as any to quit rambling.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Stravo wrote:In line with what some others have written, it was clear that V'Ger had digitized entire worlds and start systems...digitizing a DS would prove no obstacle and all assumptions on destroying V'Ger involve getting past the field, I doubt V'Ger would let the DS in so easily. I think in this case. the empire has one helluva fight on its hands.
IIRC, the "digitizing" was only a recording. It didn't destroy the planet or galaxy when it scanned it.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Cpt_Frank wrote:Can V'ger target ships with the planet-destroying weapons? :? I dunno they could have used stronger weapons against the Enterprise earlier but they didn't.
That would be like using a Harpoon missile to take out an F-16. (assuming it could hit it)

Point being V'ger didn't need to use it's heavier weapons because two of it's standard would have done the job.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

In a nutshell to digitize 1 galaxy star by star in the time frame of V'ger's life would be take a rate of star digitization of about 28 seconds/star
Now, now, I didn't say anything about distance. Obviously, if V'ger could digitize entire galaxies at once, a hundred thousand lightyears isn't going to make much difference, is it? (Unless they were dwarf galaxies, or something).

I just don't want to see people jumping from "it digitized big things" to "it can digitize ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, at ANY TIME".
The Great and Malignant
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

It has recordings of digitised galaxies, and the only times we see it digitise things, it destroys them in the process, prove that it can non-offensivly digitise, (which would imply that when attacking the klingons/feds it is being malcious, an emotion, which it supposedly doesn't have.)
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

This is not canon or anything, but Gene Roddenberry once said that the Machine Planet in V'Ger's library was the Borg home world, which at least means it wasn't his intention that V'Ger destroyed EVERYTHING it recorded.
Again, I know that isn't canon but I'm just saying the writer himself gives us the possibility that all of V'Ger's digitising wasn't destructive.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS