What is your Favorite Command And Conquer Game?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

What is your Favorite Command And Conquer Game?

The Classic Command and Conquer, Tiberian Dawn
17%
C & C Red Alert(includes expantions)
36%
C & C Tiberian Sun(includes Expantion)
5%
C & C Red Alert II
21%
C & C Yuri's Revenge
12%
C & C Renegade
No votes
C & C Generals
10%

Total votes: 42

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

And it's Kari Wuher(? I think that's the woman playing her). Not as hot as Athena Massey, but still pretty good.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

meNNis wrote:No shit, but he makes it sound like RA2 is better cause it has Tanya, as if it wasn't in the original RA first :roll:
I was speaking about Yuri's Revenge having Tanya to shoot the T-Rexes... :roll:
Alyeska wrote: RA2 has a better Tanya though. She automaticaly fires at enemies, can sink ships, and as of Yuri's Revenge she can bomb vehicles.
And you get to have a ride and dine with her :D
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Strafe
Youngling

Post by Strafe »

The original C&C.

I mean it had three great cinematics

The first is when Kane shoots his underling and you get to meet him for the first time in the SP campaign

The second is when NOD gets control of the Ion Cannon, and you get to choose the target.

Finally the GDI hidden ending where Kane gets vaporized by the Ion Cannon.

Quite cool.
Plato's Beard. Dulling Occam's razor since...um...a long time ago.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Red Alert I, followed by Red Alert II.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Tiberian Sun with the "Dark Worlds" mod. GDI gets artillery and proper tanks and upgraded bombers, NOD gets tons of cool stealth units. Makes gameplay a lot more interesting.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

aerius wrote:Tiberian Sun with the "Dark Worlds" mod. GDI gets artillery and proper tanks and upgraded bombers, NOD gets tons of cool stealth units. Makes gameplay a lot more interesting.
I'm playing Dark Worlds in campaign mode right now. It's insane.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Alyeska wrote:Question. Why can we vote for all the games with their add-ons EXCEPT RA2 and Yuri's revenge? When I voted RA2 I am including Yuri's revenge in with that.
Because Yuri's Revenge is almost a brand new game unlike the other expantions
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Isolder74 wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Question. Why can we vote for all the games with their add-ons EXCEPT RA2 and Yuri's revenge? When I voted RA2 I am including Yuri's revenge in with that.
Because Yuri's Revenge is almost a brand new game unlike the other expantions
No it is not. It is half as long as the original and requries the original to play. Homeworld: Cataclysm is a whole new game, Yuri's Revenge is not.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

SirNitram wrote:
aerius wrote:Tiberian Sun with the "Dark Worlds" mod. GDI gets artillery and proper tanks and upgraded bombers, NOD gets tons of cool stealth units. Makes gameplay a lot more interesting.
I'm playing Dark Worlds in campaign mode right now. It's insane.
Hmm... maybe I should get that mod... as soon as I get my laptop back...

*kicks Sony*
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

RA2: Yuri's Revenge. I guess I'm almost the only one, besides Alyeska, who loves that game. Sure, it was a bit unbalanced, with a single Yuri infantry that cost $300 being able to commandeer a $2000 tank, but its all in good fun.

And if you really hated Yuri, just play in Soviet vs. Allies skirmishes. The new units and balancing for those two definately kick ass.

The orignal is awesome, but meh, its outdated. RA kicked so much ass it wasn't funny, but IMHO RA2 expands on it to a much higher degree (and balances it out so thta the Allies don't suck). Tiberian Sun was crap. NOD Subterranian APC, game over GDI. I haven't played Generals yet, but from what I've heard, it isn'tthatgood.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:C&C Generals, believe it or not. It is the most realistic C&C games ever, IMHO. About a single hit from a tank can kill a jeep; you need rocket launcher to kill tanks (unlike in previous C&Cs where sufficient rifle infantry can kill tanks); and you can place your infantry inside buildings to bolster your defence (like in real world warfare: use tank to break through enemy defense and infantry to hold & occupy a territory).
Relatively realistic, I suppose. Still a long ways off from being anything resembling realism however. And I've killed plenty of vehicles with riflemen. The merits you mention have already been done (better) in Sudden Strike 2. Try it out, its pretty decent. :)
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:The orignal is awesome, but meh, its outdated. RA kicked so much ass it wasn't funny, but IMHO RA2 expands on it to a much higher degree (and balances it out so thta the Allies don't suck). Tiberian Sun was crap. NOD Subterranian APC, game over GDI. I haven't played Generals yet, but from what I've heard, it isn'tthatgood.
I occasionally did the RA1 trick where you could use Allied light tanks to destroy Soviet tanks by running so fast they couldn't target you. There was also the transport/cruiser speed trick.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Over all i prefer Red Alert 2. It had a decent navy for the 1st time in a C&C game. The Aircraft Carrier was an awsome unit.

Talking to my Dad who plays ONLY C&C games he reckons Tiberium Sun's expansion pack was the best. I have no idea why but he reckons that was the hardest A.I. he came up againt in any of them. He hates RA1.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Darth Pounder wrote:Over all i prefer Red Alert 2. It had a decent navy for the 1st time in a C&C game. The Aircraft Carrier was an awsome unit.

Talking to my Dad who plays ONLY C&C games he reckons Tiberium Sun's expansion pack was the best. I have no idea why but he reckons that was the hardest A.I. he came up againt in any of them. He hates RA1.
Firestorm fixed alot of the things I didn't like with Tiberian Sun.

Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

The main problem my dad had with Tiberium Sun was the Nod Atrillery Platform. In a LAN game Cloak and make as many as you can then you'll kill anything coming at you. Firestorm made them a bit less Uber.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Ignorant twit
with no dick

Post by Ignorant twit »

RA1 is my favorite it was the most challenging. Sure the allies were screwed heavily unless you were quick and good (or playing against a What-are-navies-computer) but the missions were more challenging at the time.

RA2 is better multiplayer and the sides are somewhat more balanced, but the missions were piss easy the first time through. I should not be able to beat a campaign in one saturday with maybe 20 minutes to a mission. I still think the AI needs work; like say not continiously nuking my shipyard for no gain. The sides need a bit more balancing allied offense is superior with the long range prism tank and soviet defense is weaker without rocketeers and chrono legionaires. Aside from Yuris, the Soviets just don't have that many things that are particularly useful.

Yuri's Revenge: Never played this one much, it was quick and the base troops for Yuri were insanely powerful.

I haven't gotten Generals, I'm really hoping to finally see a game where the single unit hoarde (i.e. a crapload of prism tanks) can overwelm a properly managed multiple unit force. Is it worth it?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

SirNitram wrote:I'm playing Dark Worlds in campaign mode right now. It's insane.
My one problem with the Dark Worlds mod is that the Hover MLRS is way too slow, the damn thing could barely keep up with a harvester which makes harvester killing a pain in the ass. So I edited the file to fix that and made it a bit cheaper as well.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

aerius wrote:
SirNitram wrote:I'm playing Dark Worlds in campaign mode right now. It's insane.
My one problem with the Dark Worlds mod is that the Hover MLRS is way too slow, the damn thing could barely keep up with a harvester which makes harvester killing a pain in the ass. So I edited the file to fix that and made it a bit cheaper as well.
It's bad in Campaign mode. It can hit you from across the friggin' screen.

Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:Who here has found the secret Dinosaur missions in C&C?
Checked a gameboard:

First you have to have "The Covert Operation" expansion disk, then you enter MS-DOS mode, go into the game directory and type c&c95 funpark
You don't actually need covert missions

I got into to by hacking into the code. In the remarks there is a note about the C & C funpark command

even with the normal C & C of you start it from dos with the command C&C funpark or c&c95 funpark depending on the version and when you start a new mission it takes you into the dino missions
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I have to say I still play old Red Alert, just for the Aftermath missions and custom skirmishes. I bought RA2 a years ago and finished in a week, I returned it and got some DVD's.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

I vote Generals. Sure, the gameplay is a bit more WC3 or AoE than the previous games, but IMO this is no bad thing. Plus, the graphics are a massive improvement.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

I think generals looks cool but I can't get it to run on my computer. I guess its time to upgrade.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Ra2 for sure....especially with the expansion....I don't know why everyone thinks Yuri is so hard though...

Can we say...snipers?

:D

The British handed yuri his ass on a plate
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Coaan wrote:Ra2 for sure....especially with the expansion....I don't know why everyone thinks Yuri is so hard though...

Can we say...snipers?

:D

The British handed yuri his ass on a plate
But they get mind controled at the start!

at least the single player campain
In mutli-player Yuri can do alot of damage very quickly but his harvesting units are the easiest to shut down, just place a sniper near the or field and he shoots the slaves
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:Who here has found the secret Dinosaur missions in C&C?
Checked a gameboard:

First you have to have "The Covert Operation" expansion disk, then you enter MS-DOS mode, go into the game directory and type c&c95 funpark
Really? You fight dinosaurs in one of the RA2 expansion pack missions…
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956