Anyone here play magic?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

aphexmonster wrote:My friend got a card the other day, that if it damages a player, they lose the game.
Phage? Bah, she's not that great.

On a different note, if anyone wants to play a T2 game on Apprentice against me, PM me sometime.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I just remembered a game where I killed someone with poison counters...from a single swamp mosquito, over 10 turns. I was toying with the poor sap, that's how horribly unequal that match was. Of course, that was my weakest deck and right now it's under revision.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I used to play seriously a long time ago, I quit after the Masqurade trilogy. I have a Rebel Deck and a Goblin deck from around that time and two decks thrown together recently, but I usually just play with my friends for old time. I just downloaded apprentice so, I might start up again.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Anarchist Bunny

I just loaded my gobling deck(my rebel deck has some post nemesis cards that apprentice doesn't have) and feel like playing someone on apprentice. Port number is 4747, or do you need another number to join.
Wiilite
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
aphexmonster wrote:My friend got a card the other day, that if it damages a player, they lose the game.

On a different note, if anyone wants to play a T2 game on Apprentice against me, PM me sometime.

You're right, shes not that good of a card... but its pretty decent since you only have to hit hem once to win, and its not hard to sneak attack a monster like that out. Especially not in a black deck.... three dark rituals, and you can pull it out on your first turn.

Ill play... i just have to get apprentice again... and maybe familliarize myself with T2 again. How come you only play T2, and what kind of cards are you into ?
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Goblin deck GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Especially with cards from the Unglued set!
Anarchist Bunny

Kelly Antilles wrote:Goblin deck GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Especially with cards from the Unglued set!
Unglued, best exspansion set EVER!

That reminds me(goes to find his goblin bowling team).
Wiilite
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Kelly Antilles wrote:Goblin deck GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Especially with cards from the Unglued set!
Goblin King.

Goblin Grenade.

Granite Grip.

Goblin Snowman.

Wall Of Fire.

Wall of Heat.

BOW DOWN TO MY GLORY!!!!

Ahem. This is the deck that repeatedly tromps LadyTevar's fine array... Even the Slivers.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Played it from Unlimited through Ice Age, then sold most of my cards and gave it up. It just somehow lost a lot of its entertainmant after a while.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I used to play MTG back in the day, I had a Blue/Black deck. It was less than good, I won 1 game, and lost every other one, considering I spent $5 Australian on it, it works out.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SirNitram wrote:
Goblin King.

Goblin Grenade.

Granite Grip.

Goblin Snowman.

Wall Of Fire.

Wall of Heat.

BOW DOWN TO MY GLORY!!!!

Ahem. This is the deck that repeatedly tromps LadyTevar's fine array... Even the Slivers.
*smirks* I believe the Cats ate your goblins... and you've not played the Ka-niggits yet.

But if that is a challenge............... :twisted:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Where is this thing apprentice? I must find it and see if I can download it....
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Captain_Cyran wrote:Where is this thing apprentice? I must find it and see if I can download it....

There's a link on the first page. Updates, if I remember, of newer sets can be found at www.e-league.com or some such named site.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

aphexmonster wrote: You're right, shes not that good of a card... but its pretty decent since you only have to hit hem once to win, and its not hard to sneak attack a monster like that out. Especially not in a black deck.... three dark rituals, and you can pull it out on your first turn.
True, but Dark Ritual isn't T2 legal anymore, and no one would use Phage in T1.
Ill play... i just have to get apprentice again... and maybe familliarize myself with T2 again. How come you only play T2, and what kind of cards are you into ?
I prefer to only play T2 because there are only a few T1 decks that everyone plays, while everything else gets stomped horribly. I might play some T1.5 sometime... Oh, I'm more into red, blue, and white these days, for T2.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Most of my decks are T1 or 1.5... mainly because iirc T2 is based on the *current* set available. Most times I can't afford to keep current.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

*shrug* I don't even know the T types any more. I just build from whatever cards I have available, dating from Chronicles/Ice Age/ 4th Edition up to some of the new stuff. I still have a 4e Royal Assassin that my friend's been trying to get from me for 6 years :D .

Oh, and that "Burn, Baby, Burn" deck? Meet Deflection.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Post by Shrykull »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Might I point out that if you can prevent her damage you won't lose the game, damage is only damage if it is successfully dealt. that's why I have a dawstrider and a groundskeeper, fog every turn on just his creatures!
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Shrykull wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Might I point out that if you can prevent her damage you won't lose the game, damage is only damage if it is successfully dealt. that's why I have a dawstrider and a groundskeeper, fog every turn on just his creatures!
That's why Phage is good in a Black Blue control deck. If you can't play the spells or creatures you can't stop phage.
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Post by Shrykull »

Exonerate wrote:MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!

*Ahem*

I've got a Green/White trample deck... Lots of oversized creatures and is partially anti-black too (Friend plays black)

Btw, there's a freeware program for MTG... Try http://www.dragonstudios.com/apprentice/

I'd play, but my router interferes, and I have yet to obtain the PW.
Suprised this thing doesn't have graphical cards, why doesn't someone just take every one and scan them in, maybe they wouldn't even need to do that. with all the free stuff circulating around the web, pirated and whatnot, music, software and movies, why not these cards?
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Shrykull wrote: Suprised this thing doesn't have graphical cards, why doesn't someone just take every one and scan them in, maybe they wouldn't even need to do that. with all the free stuff circulating around the web, pirated and whatnot, music, software and movies, why not these cards?
Little thing called copyright violation. WotC is very strict about this (bad personal experience as reference).
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

On the subject of Magic, the Ka-Niggits deck curbstomped the Goblins 2 out of 3. First time was out and out choke(I got maybe three Goblins out of my hand in ten-twenty rounds), but the second time was close as I made her the One Point Wonder.

I will not be fighting the 80% deck, as I learned it's mostly Flying.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Dark wrote:*shrug* I don't even know the T types any more. I just build from whatever cards I have available, dating from Chronicles/Ice Age/ 4th Edition up to some of the new stuff. I still have a 4e Royal Assassin that my friend's been trying to get from me for 6 years :D .

Oh, and that "Burn, Baby, Burn" deck? Meet Deflection.
Yes, those are a problem :D Of course, that's why you have a minimum of critters, so the opponent has a choice of block the summons, or block the direct damage that's sure to be waiting. :wink:

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SirNitram wrote:On the subject of Magic, the Ka-Niggits deck curbstomped the Goblins 2 out of 3. First time was out and out choke(I got maybe three Goblins out of my hand in ten-twenty rounds), but the second time was close as I made her the One Point Wonder.

I will not be fighting the 80% deck, as I learned it's mostly Flying.
The first match, he discovered why the Ka-niggit deck was Red/White, as every direct damage spell he threw I was fortunate enough to have a Damage Prevention spell in hand. With 3 KaNiggits on the field and two Pegasi, it was over quick. Final score 11-0

The second match, he managed to destroy one Plains, and with Orcish Farmers keeping the other stuck as a Swamp, I couldn't bring out the white ka-niggits in my hand and he had no other creatures on the board. But as soon as I had 5 mana, Telim'Tor hit the board, and with no blockers, SirNitram was in trouble. Two draws later, I'd worn him down to 3 points with Telim'Tor and two Pegasi and then Incinerate took care of the rest. Final score 1-0

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

LadyTevar wrote:
SirNitram wrote:On the subject of Magic, the Ka-Niggits deck curbstomped the Goblins 2 out of 3.
The first match...Final score 11-0
The second match...Final score 1-0
This is odd, because goblin decks should be killing on turn five with or without opposition. You *are* packing Goblin Grenade, Mogg Maniac and Gratuitous Violence, right?

Ooh, but I should put my old man's cane away and show you all how we whomped people with our virulent little Earthcraft decks back in the day. :twisted:
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lagmonster wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
SirNitram wrote:On the subject of Magic, the Ka-Niggits deck curbstomped the Goblins 2 out of 3.
The first match...Final score 11-0
The second match...Final score 1-0
This is odd, because goblin decks should be killing on turn five with or without opposition. You *are* packing Goblin Grenade, Mogg Maniac and Gratuitous Violence, right?

Ooh, but I should put my old man's cane away and show you all how we whomped people with our virulent little Earthcraft decks back in the day. :twisted:
Goblin Grenade? Meet Magara's Blessing. "Gain 5 Life". Or, meet Remedy. "Prevent 5 damage split any way among any creatures or players" Heck, even the original "Prevent 3 damage" cards work to reduce what's dished out. :lol:

And anytime you want to dish it out, Lag, I'd love to play. Beating up on SirNit gets old :twisted: