Ninth Chevron: ST/SG-1 Crossover

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Ninth Chevron: ST/SG-1 Crossover

Post by Raoul Duke, Jr. »

Okay, I promised a Trek/Stargate crossover quite awhile back... then another literary thread really got rolling and I lost track... well, it's time to get started. But here's where this one is going to be a little different from your average fanfic: I need the help of the readers to write it. I will be asking questions throughout the composition process. SG-1 fact questions, character questions, continuity questions... all kinds of questions.

The next post I make will be edited throughout the composition process to include prose based on your input, so do help out: I promise, the reward the work represents will be all the more lavish for your help.

The first question relates to the working title's basis: I know that the Stargate has nine chevrons, IIRC, but only uses seven in normal operation. I remember hearing somewhere that it once used eight chevrons. I need to know the result of that eighth chevron coming into play, and speculation about the ninth.

Thanks.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

The eighth chevron was used in conjunction with a secondary power source in order to travel to the Asgard homeworld in another galaxy. Apparently the eighth chevron "adds a new distance calculation." I have not heard any speculation as to the use of the ninth chevron.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Time is the Nineth chevron
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

The Ninth Chevron

15 April, 2000 -- 0327 Hours

Sergeant John Kelly liked the way the Gate Room felt on his watch; sleepy. The massive Gate stood silent and impassive, a stern eye daring anything to happen during the sacred hours.

Some might find the night watch tedious; not Kelly. Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash had become a dear friend over the last three days, the latest in a long line of friends. John saw nothing wrong with getting to know his friends, and O Dark Hundred was just the shift to facilitate his brand of "networking." He flipped the page, retrained his Light Wedge to the top.
That's when the Offworld Activation alarms went off; the Iris hissing shut in response to automated Gate Defense protocols.

Kelly slid his book into his stuff sack and hit the intercom as Gate Defense Teams poured into the room and fanned out between the control booth and the Gate. P-90s went level, firing arcs expertly trained to shred anything that came through the Gate. As the lights came up to full, they shone off the polished surface of the Iris.

Marine Gary Selwyck, new to the GDT, crouched uneasily with the rest, his finger on the trigger.

O'Neill was the first ranking officer into the room, followed by Carter, Teal'C and Jackson. "Somebody shut off that damned alarm!" he ordered. "What the hell is going on here?"

"Unknown inbound, sir!" Kelly reported. "No IDC! Iris is locked, but --"

"Receiving IDC now, Colonel!" reported the Master Sergeant manning the primary Gate monitor. "Colonel, I think you should take a look at this."

O'Neill and Carter read over the operator's shoulders. "That's our IDC, isn't it?" Carter looked to O'Neill for confirmation.
"Yeah." O'Neill squinted at the display. "Daniel, have you been giving people our phone number?"
The operator looked up at O'Neill. "Orders, sir?"
O'Neill shrugged. "Let's see who it is." Drawing his sidearm, he stepped out onto the Gate Room floor with the rest of SG-1

At the operator's command, the Iris cycled open. "What the hell?" O'Neill stared. The Stargate was active, all seven chevrons locked and lit -- but the Gate was empty. No event horizon rippled and glowed within the aperture.
Teal'C grunted. Carter scratched the back of her head.
Jackson turned to O'Neill. "Wrong number?"
O'Neill scowled.

A sudden, explosive flash of searing white light and a snap of thunder within the aperture -- a figure flew from the Stargate as SG-1 leapt back. Then a second. A third. A fourth. The bitter tang of ozone wafted from the Gate; ears were ringing, eyes watering.

Selwyck should've known better. When the first figure -- clad in what appeared to be a plush bathrobe -- hit the Gate ramp, Selwyck flinched. The three-round burst report was nearly inaudible beneath the thunder of the following bodies' ejections.

No one moved. Not the bodies on the ramp. Not the Marines of the Gate Defense Units. "That's impossible." O'Neill pointed to the bodies with the trigger finger of his right hand, his .45 pointed ceilingward. His other hand covered his ear.

"Yet, clearly," Teal'C replied at volume, "there they are."
Jackson took a few steps toward the bodies.
"<rank> Selwyck!" <commander officer of Gate Defense Teams> barked. "Secure your weapon and report to quarters! Now!"
O'Neill paid Selwyck no attention -- he'd deal with the paperwork later.
"Uh... Jack," Daniel was bent over the body in the white... bathrobe. Whatever. "Did you say something about, 'impossible'?" Jackson was staring at something on his fingers. Something dark.

He straightened, held his hand to the light. There was something dark and wet on it.
"Blood." O'Neill noted. Carter stepped past him to turn over one of the other bodies -- a moderately attractive blond woman, apparently in her early 30s.
"Right fluid, Jack." Jackson stepped around Carter, brought his fingers almost directly under O'Neill's nose. "Wrong color."

O'Neill noted the viscous jade fluid.
"Carter, get on the --"
"Major Carter to the Infirmary! Doctor Fraser to the Gate Room, immediately!"
"Right..." O'Neill turned to see Teal'C examining the body in the bathrobe.

"Gunshot wound to the left deltoid." Teal'C announced, then added. "This man is not human."
O'Neill stared down at the left side of the man's unconscious face, noting the olive complexion... an upswept eyebrow... an elegantly pointed ear.

"Get General Hammond."
"Jack?" Carter's voice.
O'Neill stared blankly. "Just... get General Hammond." For the first time in his military career, Colonel Jack O'Neill had absolutely no idea how to proceed.
Last edited by Raoul Duke, Jr. on 2003-04-27 02:49pm, edited 4 times in total.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Nice opening Raoul.
Typhonis 1 wrote:Time is the Nineth chevron
What do you mean by that Typhonis? They timetravel by syncronizing the wormhole activation with a solar flare.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Got the idea from a fanfic elsewhere and well given the gates also were affected by that funky time device where O Neil and tealc were pulling a Groundhog day deal
Black Mage,

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

You know, what's odd is that some time back I was actually starting work on a Star Wars/Stargate crossover with an email correspondent and this was the working title! Strange.

Anyway, yes. In the episode "The Fifth Race" O'Neill is "infected" with the knowledge of the Asgerd; he uses said knowledge to not only draw the schematics of a DHD, but to also build a "thingy" which turned out to be some sort of power generator/filter/fuse/whatchamacallit that gave the Stargate enough power to hit up another galaxy (odd, given the fact that in the movie Abydos is allegedly on the other side of the known universe.). In that instance using the eighth chevron was like calling long-distance.

I have my suspicions on what the Ninth Chevron does, but speaking non-canonically (and this just came to mind)...SPECULATION: there was some sort of disagreement about how many chevrons the Stargate should have during development. In the movie, Dr. Jackson stipulates that there are 7 chevrons: one for each side of the cube around the destination in realspace, plus the Point of Origin, but I think it was originally supposed to be nine...eight chevrons to mark the eight vertices on the cube, plus the Point of Origin. The producer might not have liked that and said 7 instead since it was a "lucky number". Odd thought.

Oh, nitpick: Snow Crash was written by Neal T. Stephenson. Neil Gaiman is the author of Sandman and did Good Omens with Terry Pratchett.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Unfortunately the only SG-1/ST crossover I've read have been so loaded with technobabble, and 1 universe simply overpowers the other (Normally ST) so I'll keep an eye on this on.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Dalton wrote:Anyway, yes. In the episode "The Fifth Race" O'Neill is "infected" with the knowledge of the Asgerd;
It was the knowledge of the Ancients, not the Asgard. But O'Neill when to the Asgard for help (otherwise that random Asgard wouldnt have even told O'Neill about the Ancients in the 1st place)
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

odd, given the fact that in the movie Abydos is allegedly on the other side of the known universe.)

They're basically seperate canon. There are books based on the movie with no reference to SG1 at all. Interestingly the movie's ships are far more powerful than SG1's, as a warship in one of those books vaporised an asteroid that was described as like Ceres in a single broadside. :shock:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist

Post by Typhonis 1 »

O neil may still have the knowledge locked into his head just in a way he cant access it yet
Black Mage,

Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Dalton wrote:Oh, nitpick: Snow Crash was written by Neal T. Stephenson. Neil Gaiman is the author of Sandman and did Good Omens with Terry Pratchett.
Ahh, that's why I did it this way! Dalton, thanks. Will edit immediately. :D
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

ggs wrote:
Dalton wrote:Anyway, yes. In the episode "The Fifth Race" O'Neill is "infected" with the knowledge of the Asgerd;
It was the knowledge of the Ancients, not the Asgard. But O'Neill when to the Asgard for help (otherwise that random Asgard wouldnt have even told O'Neill about the Ancients in the 1st place)
OK. It's been a while since I've seen that ep...but wasn't said Asgerd a hologram of Thor?
To Absent Friends

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:
Dalton wrote:Oh, nitpick: Snow Crash was written by Neal T. Stephenson. Neil Gaiman is the author of Sandman and did Good Omens with Terry Pratchett.
Ahh, that's why I did it this way! Dalton, thanks. Will edit immediately. :D
Have you read Cryptonomicon yet? I think that's his latest book out, and it's quite fascinating.
To Absent Friends

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

NecronLord wrote:
Dalton wrote:odd, given the fact that in the movie Abydos is allegedly on the other side of the known universe.)
They're basically seperate canon. There are books based on the movie with no reference to SG1 at all. Interestingly the movie's ships are far more powerful than SG1's, as a warship in one of those books vaporised an asteroid that was described as like Ceres in a single broadside. :shock:
Wow, quite a diversion from the source material. I guess they had to make the changes to make the show work (though I did like how they kept Daniel Jackson so close to the original).
To Absent Friends

Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Okay, we already know we're going with the TOS characters (Yay!) but here's a question:

Does anyone recall a particular time-travel/parallel universe ep where, when the crew got back, they "didn't want to talk about it"? And what equipment did they have on them at the time?
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Dalton wrote:
ggs wrote:
OK. It's been a while since I've seen that ep...but wasn't said Asgerd a hologram of Thor?
Nope. They had a bunch of Asgard physically there. As far as I can recall, Thor wasnt there (I dont think the 1 Asgard who spoke had the same voice as Thor, and I dont think it look similar).

Saying that, almost every Asgard hologram we have seen has been a hologram of Thor :)
JediToren
Padawan Learner

Post by JediToren »

So far so good. I've always been a big fan of SG-1 and I wish there were more crossovers with SW and ST.
As far the ninth chevron goes no one has ever IDed it's function before. In "The Fifth Race" Carter figured it was like an area code. The ninth chevron might by like a country code. The 8th allows the user to dial to a gate somewhere in one of 38 local galaxies, the ninth might allow you to dial to a gate somewhere in one of 38 galaxy clusters.

It might also allow for controlled time travel, or travel to alternate dimensions.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

ggs wrote:
Dalton wrote:
ggs wrote: It was the knowledge of the Ancients, not the Asgard. But O'Neill when to the Asgard for help (otherwise that random Asgard wouldnt have even told O'Neill about the Ancients in the 1st place)
Nope. They had a bunch of Asgard physically there. As far as I can recall, Thor wasnt there (I dont think the 1 Asgard who spoke had the same voice as Thor, and I dont think it look similar).

Saying that, almost every Asgard hologram we have seen has been a hologram of Thor :)
We're thinking of different episodes, I think. I'm referring to the one where they're in the room, and they discover that the solution lies in pi - and draw the radius of a circle, which activates a hologram of a Norse god, which is Thor.
To Absent Friends

Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Need to find some point at which the TOS crew slipped time, and did it with the following equipment:

At least one Phaser Type II
At least one tricorder (science or medical)
At least one med-kit.

It should be an incident where they would either have no memory of visiting SG-1 or an incident which they declined to discuss later in canon.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist

Post by Typhonis 1 »

hmmm what about the transporter scene in Mirror universe where Kirk is going back to his Enterprise?
Black Mage,

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:Need to find some point at which the TOS crew slipped time, and did it with the following equipment:

At least one med-kit.

It should be an incident where they would either have no memory of visiting SG-1 or an incident which they declined to discuss later in canon.
Didn't this happen during the Epsidoe where the E-nil was stuck in 1960's era Earth, and there was the crazy Future Fed officer trying to prevent WW3?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:Need to find some point at which the TOS crew slipped time, and did it with the following equipment:

At least one med-kit.

Didn't this happen during the Epsidoe where the E-nil was stuck in 1960's era Earth, and there was the crazy Future Fed officer trying to prevent WW3?
"Assignment: Earth". I remember that, yes. But Gary Seven wasn't a Starfleet officer, he was an operative for an unnamed race of extremely advanced aliens... the Ancients? The Asguard? Would that tie-in piss anybody off, do you think?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Good deal, its been awhile.

could always use the Q
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Darth Fanboy wrote:Good deal, its been awhile.

could always use the Q
I'd prefer to avoid invoking Q, as I believe unless it is done well it would cheapen the story to involve an omnipotent character (or nearly-omnipotent, with deference to SirNitram).

But I think that Gary Seven's "transporter closet" could be used. I'm also toying with involving the "Guardian of Forever." I'm not 100% sure on that, yet.