Phasers' effect on planetary crust

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Rathark
Padawan Learner

Phasers' effect on planetary crust

Post by Rathark »

There has been a lot of talk about one ST episode where a fleet of 30 Romulan warships threaten to destroy an entire planetray crust with their phasers. While these 30 warships obviously wouldn't stand up to one ISD, I was wondering how the chain reaction generated by the phasers on the planetary crust would compare with the raw power of an ISD's combined heavy turbolasers.

To use a hopefully appropriate analogy, phasers are like the handful of matches that destroy an entire forest, while HTLs are more like the 18" guns utilized by a REAL warship.
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

There were 10 Romulan Warbirds and 10 Keldon cruisers who used only their primary weapons and not their secondary weapons, which i find strange if they really wanted to make maximum damage to the planet. :?
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

If this is TDIC we're talking about, then as far as I recall, they used both beam weapons and torps. The thing that puzzles/annoys most people is the fact that the (huge) shockwaves doesn't match the (relatively tiny) explosions that we see. The most sensible explaination I have heard of so far is that the shockwaves are subspace related "reactions" of some kind.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Also theres the fact that when they state they hacedestroyed 30% of the crust all you can see are a few foret fires not a magma filled hole the relative size of Asia
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The best way to justify the dialogue would be to say that their definition of the term, "destroyed" is different from how most people interpret it immediately (for instance, vaporized). It really doesn't make much sense, but remember that TDiC cannot suddenly increase Trek firepower. Rather, it should be taken into context with other instances from past shows, that have shown us more definitively about Trek firepower.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Again, some simple stuff. The dialogue about 30% can and should be thrown out. (Remember a main character pointed out sensors were being fooled) As for the relative firepower on the crust, I think it's in the low Gigaton range when affecting bare rock and carbon.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Or the special effects team didn't know how to make molten lava and huge planetary eruptions? :lol: Maybe better for looking after the script and see what it says in there.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Phasers' effect on planetary crust....

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

....is nil
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Blaze
Youngling

Post by Blaze »

maybe when they sed destroyed they ment unihabbitable due to the radiation from there weapons.

as i recall they were trying to wipe out all life on the planet
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Blaze wrote:maybe when they sed destroyed they ment unihabbitable due to the radiation from there weapons.

as i recall they were trying to wipe out all life on the planet
Actually, they were trying to remove the Founders as a military threat. That would only mean eliminating all complex life on the planet, but that is not consistent with what we saw on screen. The damage would have been far too small, from the visuals, to wipe out the Founders. It would really not have been a devastating blow to the Founders, unless the bombardment had gone on unnabated for hours on end.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Dark Primus wrote:Or the special effects team didn't know how to make molten lava and huge planetary eruptions? :lol: Maybe better for looking after the script and see what it says in there.

Only stupid cowfuckers would use that argument.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Answer is, they do "sod all!"
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Re: Phasers' effect on planetary crust

Post by seanrobertson »

Rathark wrote:There has been a lot of talk about one ST episode where a fleet of 30 Romulan warships threaten to destroy an entire planetray crust with their phasers. While these 30 warships obviously wouldn't stand up to one ISD, I was wondering how the chain reaction generated by the phasers on the planetary crust would compare with the raw power of an ISD's combined heavy turbolasers.

To use a hopefully appropriate analogy, phasers are like the handful of matches that destroy an entire forest, while HTLs are more like the 18" guns utilized by a REAL warship.
First, let me set things straight regarding the actual numbers.

There were 6 Romulan Warbirds present, and 14 Keldons. That's
a total of 20 ships.

The plan was to spend five or six hours on the operation. One
of the officers in charge, a changeling impersonating "Colonel
Lovok," said:

"Computer analysis indicates that the planet's crust will be
destroyed within one hour; and the mantle, within five."

By this, he obviously means the SOLID portion of the planet (at
least on Earth, the upper mantle is solid and much thinner than
the lower mantle/asthenosphere).

It's not truly necessary to totally remove all of the crust to just
strike at the mantle, but the fact that four or five hours were
going to be spent pounding on the mantle means most of that
crust should be gone. Reduced to neutrinos, transitioned out
of space-time--whatever.

The crust would take somewhat in excess of 4E28J to vaporize.
If it took the full five or six hours (we'll say six) to get the job
done, that would average out to a fleet firepower of 1.9E24 W.
Each ship would contribute an avg. of 9.2E22W, or 22 teratons per
second.

Check me for math errors...I gotta go to bed. Anyway, that actually
compares pretty favorably to an ISD's firepower on a planetary
bombardment basis.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

What was the surface of the Founders' Planet like, anyway? I can't remember except for some rocks and that lake? of the Founders.

(Now if the entire surface of the planet was covered by an ocean of Founders, save for some island chains, that would have been cool. Like Solaris.)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

seanrobertson wrote:The crust would take somewhat in excess of 4E28J to vaporize.
How much energy would it take to simply melt instead?
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Lord of the Farce wrote:
seanrobertson wrote:The crust would take somewhat in excess of 4E28J to vaporize.
How much energy would it take to simply melt instead?
Good question...I wish I knew :)

I lifted that no. from Michael's NDF Theory page. Without figuring out
the volume and approx. mass of the crust, I can only give a rough
guess as to...I dunno...maybe around 8-10 times less energy?
It'd probably be barely within an order of magnitude, but that's
just off the cuff.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.