Anyone here play magic?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Lagmonster wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Ya know... I had some *great* decks....

So...Anyone up for a game? :twisted:
I almost think I should step out of retirement and teach all you young whippersnappers how to play a card-based strategy game. *laugh* I imagine I could throw together a quick-kill deck in Apprentice or something. Be mighty messy for those who don't follow Sixth Edition rules too well.
And you have the nerve to call them young whippersnappers? I learned the ORIGINAL rule set (and card set). Before it was even known as 1st edition (I belive it finaly became beta version, not sure anymore).

I've played all the classic decks. Youre blue denial deck. Your green hord deck. Red distruction. etc, etc.
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

LordChaos wrote:And you have the nerve to call them young whippersnappers? I learned the ORIGINAL rule set (and card set). Before it was even known as 1st edition (I belive it finaly became beta version, not sure anymore).

I've played all the classic decks. Youre blue denial deck. Your green hord deck. Red distruction. etc, etc.
I laugh in your general direction! :twisted: I'm at home either way, but the 6th ed rules just make far more sense, since they iron out all the nonsense and rules conflicts and introduce the 'stack' concept the way it was meant to be.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I play a black red or black green deck. fun.

hopefully this isnt an ancient topic where Ive already posted my veiws.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Nope, if it was...I'd be doing something about it....

I've got a deck I was given as a gift...it sits on a shelf.....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Lagmonster wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:
SirNitram wrote:On the subject of Magic, the Ka-Niggits deck curbstomped the Goblins 2 out of 3.
The first match...Final score 11-0
The second match...Final score 1-0
This is odd, because goblin decks should be killing on turn five with or without opposition. You *are* packing Goblin Grenade, Mogg Maniac and Gratuitous Violence, right?

Ooh, but I should put my old man's cane away and show you all how we whomped people with our virulent little Earthcraft decks back in the day. :twisted:
I have two Goblin Grenades, no Mogg Maniacs, no Gratuituos Violences. This is not a great deck, mostly built out of remnants.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
Shrykull wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote: Might I point out that if you can prevent her damage you won't lose the game, damage is only damage if it is successfully dealt. that's why I have a dawstrider and a groundskeeper, fog every turn on just his creatures!
That's why Phage is good in a Black Blue control deck. If you can't play the spells or creatures you can't stop phage.
My point exactly... i wouldn't use Phage in anything but T1... T2 Decks these days are so heavilly built on wenieness these days ... small creatures that can either be pumped or come out in lots. 'Sides ... there are " cabal rituals " and sac lands that add two mana to your mana pool... its not very hard to flood your pool with mana ... cast obliterate, and throw Phage out ... if nothing is in play but Phage... you have a 90% chance of winning ... unless they get a mana ... and a creature that costs 1 ... and then plays a creature everysingle turn after that until they can get rid of her ...

Not only is Phage one of the top three cards in type2, but shes one of the top five cards of the year ... i mean, whats not hella good about a creature that can kill a player in one attack ?
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LordChaos wrote:
Lagmonster wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Ya know... I had some *great* decks....

So...Anyone up for a game? :twisted:
I almost think I should step out of retirement and teach all you young whippersnappers how to play a card-based strategy game. *laugh* I imagine I could throw together a quick-kill deck in Apprentice or something. Be mighty messy for those who don't follow Sixth Edition rules too well.
And you have the nerve to call them young whippersnappers? I learned the ORIGINAL rule set (and card set). Before it was even known as 1st edition (I belive it finaly became beta version, not sure anymore).

I started with 3rd Ed, The Dark expansion. My collection has nearly the complete 3rd, 4rd, 5th, and 6th Eds, as well as some IceAge/Alliances, nearly full Mirage/Visions, WeatherLight, Rath Saga. (I say nearly full because I just buy by the Box. So, if there's a rare card not in that particular box, I was SoL.) I've not yet bought the box for 7th, or one for the Urza Saga, the "Everything Goes to Hell" Saga, or the Torment Saga.
Think I'm miss the Maskerade set as well....

:shrug: I'll catch up eventually.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

I am partial to black and white, in particular CLERICS. These guys rock! I still use my first deck, a white and black cleric/soldier/zombie/whatever I had deck as it works so well. Doubtless One, Cabal Archon, Starlit Sanctum, Hollowed Healers, you get the idea.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I met this guy at a card store that had a perfectly tourny legal deck that had one or two one turn kills. Basicly it was Sneak Attack, 2xLotus Petal(before those two were banned/restricted), mountain, dark ritual and Serra Avatar.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

The Silence and I wrote:I am partial to black and white, in particular CLERICS. These guys rock! I still use my first deck, a white and black cleric/soldier/zombie/whatever I had deck as it works so well. Doubtless One, Cabal Archon, Starlit Sanctum, Hollowed Healers, you get the idea.
It's very good...

Except for when it sees all my pretty zombies and goes SQUISH.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I don't care how much people wank off about Phage, I'll take a Blistering Firecat over her any day. In my mind, there is nothing cooler than a Type 2 Ball Lightning.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Anarchist Bunny

I've seen Phage, I'm not impressed, the best cards are ones that can be used in a combo, since it says combat damage, the combos with it are rather uncreative, the black Wind, or the Fear spell, a sneak attack, and by the time your opponent can casually cast Phage, if you can't counter it, your fucked either way.
Wiilite
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

anarchistbunny wrote:I've seen Phage, I'm not impressed, the best cards are ones that can be used in a combo, since it says combat damage, the combos with it are rather uncreative, the black Wind, or the Fear spell, a sneak attack, and by the time your opponent can casually cast Phage, if you can't counter it, your fucked either way.
If you break it down like that then for the most part all combos are uncreative. Hell ... black lotus channel fireball is uncreative. I like to consider combos that dont actually do damage to be creative. I.E. Fast bond, Storm cauldron, Brain Guyser. Or Demonic consultation, soldevi digger, ( time walk, time stretch, second chane with under 10 life) Mill stone ( or thorn thalid , or Prodogical sorcerer, or swamp mosquito ). Or Wrath of God ( or obliterate) , Flash call of Herd, Biorythm.
Bleh ... but i suppose you consider those uncreative as well ? How about Breeding pit, bad moon ? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD SCHOOL ! .... ummm, Underworld dreams, brain Guyser. Grafted Skull cap, ensnaring bridge, pullsating illusion... :shock: .... blah
-monster
Anarchist Bunny

Jesus, I've been reading hte Legion spolier list, god damn, someone has been masturbating to Slivers, I mean if these were the only slivers out they it'd be ok(like tourney play) but casual play, combine those with the previous slivers, and shit.
Wiilite
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

They're deffinitly hella horny for slivers -_- ... they want someone to make a tournament winning sliver deck, but nobody wants to touch them with a 10 foot pool...
-monster
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Ever seen a sliver deck against another one? It totally defeats the purpose of slivers. It was hilarious, but in the end it came down to who had the most...

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Exonerate wrote:Ever seen a sliver deck against another one? It totally defeats the purpose of slivers. It was hilarious, but in the end it came down to who had the most...
I attack you with my 7/7 sliver with flying, first strike, trample, it doesn't tap to attack, and i gain life for each damage dealt....

i block with my 7/7 sliver with flying, first strike, trample, thats also doesn't tap to attack, and i gain life for damage delt...
-monster
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

-chokes- thats one of the funniest things Ive ever heard.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I've found that my T2 counter/burn madness deck can handle Slivers before they become a problem. Score one for non-cookie cutter decks.
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Score one for your 1337 th post .... hehe .. you're totaly 1333337 now.
-monster
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

aphexmonster wrote:Score one for your 1337 th post .... hehe .. you're totaly 1333337 now.
No, I'm simply 1348 (as of this post).
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

when you get post 7777, do you enter all lucky sevens mode ?
-monster
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

anarchistbunny wrote:Jesus, I've been reading hte Legion spolier list, god damn, someone has been masturbating to Slivers, I mean if these were the only slivers out they it'd be ok(like tourney play) but casual play, combine those with the previous slivers, and shit.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Why do you think Sir Nitram's scared of them?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

aphexmonster wrote:They're deffinitly hella horny for slivers -_- ... they want someone to make a tournament winning sliver deck, but nobody wants to touch them with a 10 foot pool...
I'll use them. :twisted: :twisted:

And I'll win with them... especially when I can bring out Silver Queen.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

aphexmonster wrote:
Exonerate wrote:Ever seen a sliver deck against another one? It totally defeats the purpose of slivers. It was hilarious, but in the end it came down to who had the most...
I attack you with my 7/7 sliver with flying, first strike, trample, it doesn't tap to attack, and i gain life for each damage dealt....

i block with my 7/7 sliver with flying, first strike, trample, thats also doesn't tap to attack, and i gain life for damage delt...
Okay... so that *has* happened before. I think it was a red/green deck vs a blue/white. I think one decked the other to win. (and for those non-players: decked means ran the other out of cards, not reach out and hit him)