Federation's Trial (ST/Halo crossover fic) 3rd chapter is up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot
Jedi Knight

Federation's Trial (ST/Halo crossover fic) 3rd chapter is up

Post by Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot »

Star Trek Federations trial

Notes: First, I’m scaling down the power of the Covenant for this fic, as with them at full power it wouldn’t be any fun.

Second, I make no claim for profit from this, as I own absolutely nothing in it.

Third, There is only one more thing; strap in and prepare for one hell of a ride.

Captain Dalton, of the USS Righteous Fury, stepped out of the turbolift, wearing an expression which said that he’d better not have been disturbed for anything short of a critical hull breach.

Unfortunately, what he has been called for is worse.

“Sir,” Luke Starkiller, the com officer, called from his station, “we’re still not getting any signals from Terex Prime.”

“How can that be?” Dalton asked, “Don’t they have radio there?”

“That’s what I mean sir,” Starkiller responded, “there isn’t anything coming from the colony. Not even on the old R/F system, and I’ve checked every subspace band.”

“Right. Get me Admiral Kanos.”

The wiry features of the requested admiral appeared on screen a moment later.

“Yes captain?” he asked, “what is wrong?”

“My com officer can’t raise the colony, and that has me worried. People like to talk, you know that sir, and colonists more than most. Something is seriously wrong, and I request permission to engage any enemy presence in the Terex system.”

“I see,” Kanos stated, “well, what choice do I have? The word is given.”

“Very well. See you on the other side sir.”

Dalton turned away from the screen as it switched back to showing space before the Akira-class starship, and then ordered com-channels opened to the Heracles and the Nemesis, a pair of uprated Mirandas.

“Captain Veradi, captain Wallace,” Dalton said matter-of-factly, “you need to power up weapons and shields. There’s something seriously wrong in the Terex system.”

“Maybe it has something to do with the disappearance of the Mars,” Captain Veradi suggested.

A dark-skinned human from Tycho city on the Moon, he had a history of distinguished service and unchallenged loyalty to the Federation, which made it a major surprise he was commanding an old Miranda that should have been decommissioned years ago. That is, until you realised he wanted to command the old boat and didn’t like anything larger.

“Maybe,” Wallace conceded. He was one of the officers who viewed StarFleet as a peacekeeping force rather than a full-blown navy, and as such was not the best to have at your back in a combat situation.

“It does.” Dalton stated his opinion as fact. There was no way in hell that a scout ship just vanished. Something had happened to her, and he was damned if it was going to happen to his ship.

“Sir,” XO Kelly Antilles reported, “We’re now approaching the Terex system. Request your presence on the bridge sir.”

Dalton stepped out onto the bridge just as they decelerated from warp.

“My god,” he whispered, as the planet appeared onscreen.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard looked at the fleet assembled at Starbase 75.

There were over three hundred ships here, led by the USS Armorpierce, a heavily modified Galaxy-class starship and the personal flagship of Admiral Kanos.

Something serious was afoot.

“Sir,” Data reported from the science station, “Admiral Kanos requests you transfer to the Armorpierce. He has something he wishes to discuss with you and the other senior officers aboard the Starbase.”

“Very well,” Picard stated, “I’ll join him.”

Maybe now he’d get some answers.

When Picard arrived, Kanos and the other captains were waiting for him.

“Ah, captain. Good,” Kanos said cheerfully, “now maybe we can start the breifing.”

He led them to the stellar cartography room, where the projector was displaying Terex Prime, a colony on the fringes of the Federation.

“I take it you all recognise this,” Kanos said, waving his hand towards the image.

All assembled nodded.

“Well, as of two weeks ago,” Kanos paused, and Picard swore he could see weariness in his superiors eyes, “the Terex Prime colony no longer exists.”

Picard gasped, as did several other officers. Eight million people wiped out totally. It shocked them. They’d taken heavy loses in the Dominion war, but the scale of power required to cleanse an entire planet of life was almost impossible to comprehend.

Kanos paused a moment for this to sink in, then continued.

“A scout ship sent to investigate, the USS Mars, disappeared after a transmission confirming its arrival. The Righteous Fury, Heracles, and Nemesis were dispatched to investigate. This is what they found.”

Tapping the keypad, Kanos changed the view, so that it now showed a glassy ball.

“This is what the taskforce found. Among other things,” here Kanos changed the image again, this time adding an Akira and two Mirandas, “as, in orbit around Terex Prime, they found an unknown ship.”

On the screen, a green rip opened in space, disgorging a sleek ship.

It was purple on most of the hull, with a sliver aft section and glowing white engine ports. It looked deadly, but beautiful.

“When the Righteous Fury attempted to hail it, they were answered by ‘We are the Covenant. You destruction is the will of the gods… and we are their instrument.’ After that, they opened fire.”

On the screen, blue-white needles of light scythed out, cutting through the rollbar of the Nemesis, followed by a massive glowing red ball that melted through what remained of the shields on the Nemesis, then melted through the hull in seconds, breaching the warp core.

“Those were some kind of high-powered pulse laser and a self-guiding plasma torpedo,” Kanos explained, then pointed at the screen where the Righteous Fury and the Heracles struck out with a vengeance, determined to avenge their destroyed comrade.

Golden photon torpedoes and reddish phaser bursts lanced out, striking the enemy ship.

Or, they would have, but instead a shimmering sliver barrier appeared meters from its hull, dispersing the phaser beams, and cooling rapidly after the torpedo detonations.

The screen faded out.

“The Heracles and Nemesis were lost with all hands to their attack, and the Righteous Fury was crippled, barely able to make it back here. We can only conclude that this ‘Covenant’ is hostile, and must be stopped,” Kanos paused for emphasis, then continued, “I will lead the fleet there to retake the Terex system, and show these invaders that we will not surrender. Picard, you will command the reserve forces. If we should fall, I need you to clean up what’s left.”

“Yes sir,” Picard said with his voice barely above a whisper. He didn’t like the military side of StarFleet, and being ordered to command a warfleet was quite likely his idea of the worst assignment possible.

All the assembled captains stood, knowing their mission: stop a threat orders of magnitude greater than the Dominion from getting a foothold in Federation space.

Kanos raised his hand, indicating for them to stay.

“I just wish you all good luck on our mission. And captain Picard, be ready to assist us.”
Last edited by Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot on 2003-04-23 04:07pm, edited 2 times in total.
Titan Princeps of the Mecha Maniacs: Gloriam Imperator
"StarDestroyer.net: Even our idiots are smarter." - RedImperator
"A Terminator Space Marine. Also known as your worst nightmare." Stormbringer
"Know the ECM. Love the ECM. Cherish the ECM, for it jams thine enemys targeting."- Necronlord
HALOite, Robotech/Macross supporter, 40Ker, and part-time Warsie.
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

Nice
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
Jedi Knight

LT.Hit-Man wrote:Nice
Why thanks for your compliments LT.
"Know the ECM. Love the ECM. Cherish the ECM, for it jams thine enemys targeting."- Necronlord
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

a good start. i like it.

ummmm.. "Col. Crackpot reporting for fanfic duty" (hint, hint)
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Jedi Knight

I'd better get the cast members so far up:
Admiral Kanos as, well, Admiral Kanos
LT Hit-Man as a Federation marine
Dalton as the captain of the USS Righteous Fury
Kelly Antilles as the XO of the Righteous Fury
RSA as the CO of the LWPND (just guess what that means)

Anyone else who wants in, then provide name, rank, command (if aplicable), species, etc. etc.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot wrote:I'd better get the cast members so far up:
Admiral Kanos as, well, Admiral Kanos
LT Hit-Man as a Federation marine
Dalton as the captain of the USS Righteous Fury
Kelly Antilles as the XO of the Righteous Fury
RSA as the CO of the LWPND (just guess what that means)

Anyone else who wants in, then provide name, rank, command (if aplicable), species, etc. etc.
Col. Chris 'Crackpot' Devine
Federation Marines
homeworld: Mars
race: Human
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Jedi Knight

You got it.

I'm in as well.

Federation marine corporal Micheal Ryans, reporting for duty sir.
Jedi Knight

I'll get the next chapter up as fast as I can, but I'm better at writing gorund battles than the space battle I've got in the next part.

Any help would be appreiciated.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

This might help, maybe you could use it for reference or to see how other authors have handled Halo...
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Jedi Knight

3rd Impact wrote:This might help, maybe you could use it for reference or to see how other authors have handled Halo...
Thanks a lot.

That should help.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

On that note, has the SW/Halo fic been shelved, or is it simply on hold for the time being?
Jedi Knight

3rd Impact wrote:On that note, has the SW/Halo fic been shelved, or is it simply on hold for the time being?
On hold for an unknown length of time.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Micheal Ryans, Beta pilot wrote:
3rd Impact wrote:On that note, has the SW/Halo fic been shelved, or is it simply on hold for the time being?
Well, you're doing good on this one, so keep up the good work! :)
Jedi Knight

3rd Impact wrote:
Well, you're doing good on this one, so keep up the good work! :)
I will. Like that was in doubt :roll: :roll: .
Jedi Knight

Something I forgot.

Anyone you want to have killed, give names, what you'd like them to be, and how you want them to be killed.

I've already got Timothy Jones down as an incompetent feddie marine who gets cut up by a Hunter (hint: those spines aren't there to look good :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ), and RSA down for getting a P-torp to the bridge of his ship in the next chapter.
Jedi Knight

Federations trial chapter two

Kanos checked the sensor report. There wasn’t anything new, at least, as far as they could pick up.

“Sir,” captain Stravo called from the bridge, “we’re now approaching the Terex system. I request your presence on the bridge.”

Kanos walked onto the bridge, noting with some satisfaction that Stravo had already brought the ship to battle alert.

“Status of fleet?” he asked, taking the central chair.

“All ships report ready sir,” the communications officer responded, “ and all stations are at battle alert alpha.”

“Good. Then lets get to work,” Kanos said, tapping two of the buttons in the arm of his chair and shifting the viewscreen to show the fleet travelling in formation.

Some time later, the three hundred ship strong taskforce dropped out of warp near the fifth planet.

“Anything?”

“No sir,” the sensor officer reported, “there isn’t anything… Wait! Picking up a radiation surge, distance eight million kilometres.”

On the screen, a glowing green rift appeared, and dozens of sleek purple attack craft poured out.

“Number?” Kanos shouted to the sensor officer over the sounds of a red alert.

“I-I’m not sure sir,” the ensign on sensors said, frantically tapping his console, “they’re using extremely powerful EW. I can’t get an exact figure, but I’d say about a hundred.”

“Very well. Kanos to all ships, break and attack. Don’t let them outflank you. Helm, take us in at one-half impulse power, and be ready for hard manoeuvring on my mark. Tactical, you may fire when ready.”

The first shots were fired as both fleets hit three-hundred-thousand kilometres, with phasers and pulse laser fire vying for supremacy.

The first casualty was a Covenant frigate, but its dying action was to launch one of the lethal plasma torpedoes, catching the Nebula responsible amidships and burning through deck after deck.

The rest of the fleets broke off, trading fire while the Federation ships attempted to open the range, with the Covenant ships trying to close it.

“Close ranks,” Kanos ordered, “stand off to maximum torpedo range and engage.”

Eventually, the Covenant fleet vanished into the same pulsating green tears in space they’d appeared from.

And then reappeared ten thousand-km off the bow of the Federation fleet, hulls already glowing with plasma torpedo charges.

The first ship hit was the LWPND, commanded by Robert Scott ‘Scooter’ Anderson. Kanos didn’t view him as a major lose, given that the mans career had been characterised by incompetence, a lack of discipline, and extremely ill advised actions.

Of more concern to the admiral were the personnel aboard the LWPND who would be lost with it. Many were decent officers who had simply been forgotten, and now they were paying for their captains’ incompetence.

As he watched, the plasma burned through the bridge, incinerating hull and crew in seconds.

“Fire at will!” Kanos snapped, making sure the COM channels were all open, “Make those bastards pay.”

The Federation fleet struck out with a vengeance, sending massed salvoes of photon and quantum torpedoes at the Covenant ships, focussing fire on a select few, attempting to overwhelm their shielding.

Twenty Covenant ships fell out of formation, damaged but not destroyed, and the others returned fire with a vengeance.

Plasma and matter/antimatter bombs criss-crossed space, melting armour or blasting holes in shields and hull.

Aboard the USS Warrior, Captain Frank hung on for grim life as his hardly little Defiant-class shook under a fresh barrage from the irritating little teardrop-shaped fighters.

The fleets Peregrines were performing well, but there weren’t enough to hold off every single attacking fighter, and the Warrior had to defend herself.

“Mr Doomriser,” he shouted at his tactical officer, “shooting them down would be helpful, if its not too much trouble!”

“I’m trying sir,” Doomriser responded, “but these little bastards are agile, and our weapons weren’t designed for tracking them.”

“Hold on Frank,” someone called over the radio, “we’ll handle them.”

The voice belonged to Commodore Chuck Sonnenberg, commander of the Prometheus-B Victorious, and dubbed the ass-kicker of StarFleet for his actions during the 3rd battle of Bajor.

The Victorious tore across the front of the Warrior, phasers stabbing out at the carrier pounding the smaller ship.

On its second pass, the Victorious unleashed a fierce salvo of torpedoes, penetrating the carrier’s hull with the first group, then gouging out the interior with the next.

The Federation fleet was gaining the upper hand, slowly but surely.

They’d taken horrendous casualties though, with almost two-thirds of the fleet destroyed or crippled.

“Well sir,” Stravo said to Kanos, “it looks like we won.”

“No captain,” Kanos responded “we haven’t won yet. This is only the beginning.”
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

*Waves hand frantically*

Can I be in it?
Jedi Knight

3rd Impact wrote:*Waves hand frantically*

Can I be in it?
Give me name, rank, species, and which organization (SF, Klingon navy, S31 (I'm not planning on including them, but if enough people want them in I'll include them), etc. etc.) you want to be part of.

The next chpater is for all you ground battle and LT. Hit-Man fans.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Name: James "(Insert Vaguely interesting nickname here)" Tomlinson.
Species: Human.
Organisation:Star Fleet.
Jedi Knight

3rd Impact wrote:Name: James "(Insert Vaguely interesting nickname here)" Tomlinson.
Species: Human.
Organisation:Star Fleet.
SF marines? Reg. Fleet?

I'd like to know which.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Admiral Blake Lawson A.K.A the black admiral.
section 31, shadow fleet
homeworld: classified
race: classified
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Jedi Knight

Black Admiral wrote:Admiral Blake Lawson A.K.A the black admiral.
section 31, shadow fleet
homeworld: classified
race: classified
I'll see what I can do.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Give me name, rank, species, and which organization (SF, Klingon navy, S31 (I'm not planning on including them, but if enough people want them in I'll include them), etc. etc.) you want to be part of.

The next chpater is for all you ground battle and LT. Hit-Man fans.
If you include S31 please use the following character

Code Name: Darksider
DOB: classified
Homeworld: you get the idea

section 31 special operative specializing in behind the scenes one-man commando raids on enemy installations, Espionoge (ack SP please), and assasination
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

SF marines? Reg. Fleet?

I'd like to know which.
Marines, if that's ok.
Jedi Knight

3rd Impact wrote:
SF marines? Reg. Fleet?

I'd like to know which.
Marines, if that's ok.
Alright.

You'll be in the next chapter, with several other SD.net members.