ftl speed?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Lt. Nebfer
Padawan Learner

ftl speed?

Post by Lt. Nebfer »

whats the speed of starwars(ummm the standerd speed of most ships)
and whats the speed of startrek

and how far can thy go in 1 day
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

In SW, ships can move from the Core of the Galaxy to the edge of it in a single day (ref. TPM). In ST, it would take them years to go that far.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Read the page. technology/propulsion
Supermod
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I believe SW Hyperdrive is approx 3 Million C and ST warp drive is some arounf 5000 C.

SW could go anywhere in the galaxy within a very short space of time but due to how hyperdrive works tyhey cant go A to B they have to take long routes unless they are along a trade route.

ST warp drive can go A to B but very slowly compared to Wars so overall SW is far faster than ST.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

TheDarkling wrote:I believe SW Hyperdrive is approx 3 Million C and ST warp drive is some arounf 5000 C.

SW could go anywhere in the galaxy within a very short space of time but due to how hyperdrive works tyhey cant go A to B they have to take long routes unless they are along a trade route.
???

I'm not sure where this comes from.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

If you are talking about going point to point isnt easy with hyperdrive it comes from almost every EU book I have read mainly Rogue Squadron books and NJO.

Its also clear that very speciic maps are needed for hyperdrive along anything other that the main routes (I think its the ICS that says only the Trade federation and the Jedi can afford to keep complete maps and that the routes change often).

In Rogue squadron it takes an ISD 10 Hours to go from one system to the next system yet in other examlpe the core to the rim takes less time, the explanation is that sometimes hyperdrive isnt able to go in a straight line and has to go A-b-C to get where its going.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Master of Ossus wrote:In SW, ships can move from the Core of the Galaxy to the edge of it in a single day (ref. TPM). In ST, it would take them years to go that far.
To expand on Master of Ossus' explanation, ST would take decades to travel from the core of a galaxy to the edge. In ST, it was estimate it would have taken Voyager 70 years to travel 70,000 light years using just the warp engines.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

TheDarkling wrote:If you are talking about going point to point isnt easy with hyperdrive it comes from almost every EU book I have read mainly Rogue Squadron books and NJO.

Its also clear that very speciic maps are needed for hyperdrive along anything other that the main routes (I think its the ICS that says only the Trade federation and the Jedi can afford to keep complete maps and that the routes change often).

In Rogue squadron it takes an ISD 10 Hours to go from one system to the next system yet in other examlpe the core to the rim takes less time, the explanation is that sometimes hyperdrive isnt able to go in a straight line and has to go A-b-C to get where its going.
I remember that small fighters have no real nav-computer. Their R2-Units use precalculated routes to get to their targets. That could explain this discrepance...
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

In "The 37's"[VOY], Paris says warp 9.9 is 4,000,000,000 miles per second, or about 20,000 times lightspeed. The Enterprise-D had a recommended maximum of warp 9.2, which may be what Data was referring to when he said it would take the ship 300 years to get home at maximum warp, from a point 2.7 million light-years from the Federation ("Where No One Has Gone Before"[TNG]). That works out to 9000 times lightspeed, and would seem to represent the rough maximum for most ships.
These are not dead-firm figures, however. The Enterprise-Prime would take 11 hours to travel 990.7 light years in "That Which Survives"[TOS], suggesting 90 ly/hr, or 788,400 times lightspeed. "Bread and Circuses"[TOS] has the Enterprise cross .2 light years in about a minute, suggesting a speed of 107,000c. Then, of course, there's the Star Trek V incident, where a trip to the center of the Milky Way from Nimbus III (which could be no less than 17,000 light-years from the center, as per First Contact) took under seven hours. That suggests a speed of over 2500 ly/hr, over 20,000,000c!
Then there's the opposite side of the coin. In "Bloodlines"[TNG] Riker calculated in his head the time required for the Enterprise to travel 300 billion kilometers at Warp 9, and gets about 20 minutes, which would be about 900c, or .1ly/hr. In "Caretaker"[VOY], Janeway said that at "maximum speeds", it would take 70 years to make the 75,000 light year journey, which works out to only .12 light years per hour, or just over 900c.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

DarkStar: Maybe Voyager obeyed the speed limit so its cruise velocity was only warp 6 thus the extra time taken.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

DarkStar wrote:These are not dead-firm figures, however. The Enterprise-Prime would take 11 hours to travel 990.7 light years in "That Which Survives"[TOS], suggesting 90 ly/hr, or 788,400 times lightspeed. "Bread and Circuses"[TOS] has the Enterprise cross .2 light years in about a minute, suggesting a speed of 107,000c. Then, of course, there's the Star Trek V incident, where a trip to the center of the Milky Way from Nimbus III (which could be no less than 17,000 light-years from the center, as per First Contact) took under seven hours. That suggests a speed of over 2500 ly/hr, over 20,000,000c!

Yes clearly the feds, and st in general lost decent ftl after st VI.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

TheDarkling wrote:DarkStar: Maybe Voyager obeyed the speed limit so its cruise velocity was only warp 6 thus the extra time taken.
Isn't Voyager one of the first ships that does not need to obey the speed limit because of their new warp-drive ?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

TheDarkling wrote:If you are talking about going point to point isnt easy with hyperdrive it comes from almost every EU book I have read mainly Rogue Squadron books and NJO.

Calculate all possible destinations along their last known trajectory

canon
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I contend the general lowering of Warp drive speeds is due to the 'damage' to 'spacetime'(A ridiculous concept, you might as well find a crack in a mathematically defined radius... Oh, wait, done that.), from all these Warp-equipped species running around. It slowly cuts the speeds down further and further, or perhaps it's more quick.

Oh, and Voyager is specifically stated to be able to pull Warp 9.6(? Possibly .7) for a long period of time. In the pilot, I think.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

NecronLord: Wow is that some big revelation? it has no relevance to what I said whatsoever the Falcon was going somewhere but they could drop out and change course or even change course in hyperspace (which may be possible Ref Dark Empire).

Just because they... infact what are you trying to say I just dont get it.

SirNitram: Hmm warp capable races have been around for a very long time why the sudden drop?

When ever they are going some where they are often going at warp 5/6 it may be that going faster is less efficient and since they were on a limited supply (or so they kept telling us).

It was they could sustain warp 9.6 but it didnt say they could cruise at tat speed for days it could be infered that they could go at that speed without putting stress on the engine.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

SirNitram wrote:I contend the general lowering of Warp drive speeds is due to the 'damage' to 'spacetime'(A ridiculous concept, you might as well find a crack in a mathematically defined radius... Oh, wait, done that.), from all these Warp-equipped species running around. It slowly cuts the speeds down further and further, or perhaps it's more quick.

Oh, and Voyager is specifically stated to be able to pull Warp 9.6(? Possibly .7) for a long period of time. In the pilot, I think.

Voyager supposly got rid of the "rip spacetime" effect.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

And Darkstar, the "core" in STV looked more like the galactic barrier, not the center of our universe.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I have heard that the engine got rid of the destructive effects but I cant remember hearing it in canon, was it in Caretaker when the pilot was telling Paris about Voyager?
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Its also clear that very speciic maps are needed for hyperdrive along anything other that the main routes
Wrongo. Specific maps are needed for safe hyperdrive. You can easily get up to full speed without making a single calculation for a hyperjump... it's just not a very wise idea, which is why people don't do it in unsure territory.

Remember, it was said that there is no natural limit to velocity in hyperspace, only technological.
The Great and Malignant
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

SPOOFE wrote:Wrongo. Specific maps are needed for safe hyperdrive. You can easily get up to full speed without making a single calculation for a hyperjump... it's just not a very wise idea, which is why people don't do it in unsure territory.

Remember, it was said that there is no natural limit to velocity in hyperspace, only technological.
I think the only safe way in an uncharted sector would be making jumps with a length smaller than the range of your sensors. That's why probe droids and scout ships would be extremely useful to chart an area.

Of course with a good optical sensor array you can map all star positions within a galaxy within a few hours just by taking a few "photos"...
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Exactly. And SW has probably non-visual sensors vastly superior to our present telescopes. I just don't know why the trekkies seem to think getting maps is just so difficult.
Supermod
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Cpt_Frank wrote:Exactly. And SW has probably non-visual sensors vastly superior to our present telescopes. I just don't know why the trekkies seem to think getting maps is just so difficult.
Maybe because it's a little bit difficult for Federation ships to move a few thousand lightyears out of the galactic plane to get good photos ? 8)
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Maybe because it's a little bit difficult for Federation ships to move a few thousand lightyears out of the galactic plane to get good photos ? 8)
Probably. I find their lack of faith disturbing. :mrgreen:
Supermod
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

My point is that you often cant go directly from A to B.

Also the maps are importnat if not 100% necessary since it was said to give the Trade federation an unfair monopoly.

It was also said that the maps were expensive to maintain - if they were simple and unchanging this shouldnt be so, we often have references (in NJO and the Rogue squadron books that come to mind) that hyperspace lanes change over time (and im not talking decades im talking weeks and months) this is why the major trade lanes are so important - they dont change meaning that trade along them doesnt require expensive maps.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

TheDarkling wrote:My point is that you often cant go directly from A to B.

Also the maps are importnat if not 100% necessary since it was said to give the Trade federation an unfair monopoly.

It was also said that the maps were expensive to maintain - if they were simple and unchanging this shouldnt be so, we often have references (in NJO and the Rogue squadron books that come to mind) that hyperspace lanes change over time (and im not talking decades im talking weeks and months) this is why the major trade lanes are so important - they dont change meaning that trade along them doesnt require expensive maps.
What do you think about this ?

A simple map with stars on it is easy to get an to maintain... but most ships want to jump into a star system which may require a map with asteroids, comets, planets, stellar dust clouds and space-trash within all systems. These maps would allow to jump directly into a system, but they are much more difficult to create and maintain.

<speculation>It could explain why Tarkin did jump into a "bad" position with the DS on Yavin 4. Maybe he had no map of the Yavin 4 system...</speculation>