Trajectory Calculations

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Admiral Griffith
Youngling

Trajectory Calculations

Post by Admiral Griffith »

I'm trying to figure out what angle is going to allow a pneumatic cannon to fire a ping pong ball as far as possible. If somebody could just give me an equation for this or point me to a site, I'd be extremely thankful.
It is not well for one to trifle in the affairs of the ancient Chinese generals, for they have a tendency to send armies of tens of thousands of warriors after those who challenge them.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I'm no math/physics whiz, but isn't 45 degrees the best angle for what you require?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Admiral Griffith
Youngling

Post by Admiral Griffith »

Dalton wrote:I'm no math/physics whiz, but isn't 45 degrees the best angle for what you require?
That sounds reasonable. Thanks.
It is not well for one to trifle in the affairs of the ancient Chinese generals, for they have a tendency to send armies of tens of thousands of warriors after those who challenge them.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Yes, a 45 degree firing angle will give you the maximum possible distance.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Dalton wrote:I'm no math/physics whiz, but isn't 45 degrees the best angle for what you require?
45 degrees is the ideal for maximum range with a ballistic weapon.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

45 is good. But it would also depend on wind (if you are outside), because a ping-pong ball is really light, it will be carried easily in the air currents. A shallower trajectory might be warranted in that case and might produce longer distances more consistently.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

I thought it was 36 degrees.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Pu-239 wrote:I thought it was 36 degrees.
I've never heard that one. Some people think its 30 degrees, but thats a myh that seems to have been spawned by many battleships only having 30 degrees of elevation for there main battery. That however was a limit of the mountings.

Simply taking a look at warships1s naval weapons pages will show that guns got there longest ranges at 45 degrees.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Pu-239 wrote:I thought it was 36 degrees.
It's 45º period. Elementary physics.

A launch at angle a from the origin at velocity vo is given by

x=Vo*cos(a)*t

y=Vo*sin(a)*t-1/2*g*t^2

do y = 0 (when the projectile is at ground level), take t as function of the angle

replace in x, and differenciate in order to the angle a.

Then find the minimum by equalizing it to 0, and you'll get a = 45º
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Colonel Olrik wrote:
And if you want to find out what happens after you have fire, http://www.warships1.com/index_tech/tech-073.htm
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Colonel Olrik wrote:
And if you want to find out what happens after you have fire, http://www.warships1.com/index_tech/tech-073.htm
That's one of the best parts of the mechanical engineer degree. You get to learn all these wonderfully fantastic things (together with a bunch of crap, of course). all my life I've been fascinated by physics and mechanic.

Today I went to a job interview. If I'm in, I'll spend my next two years designing a new robotic welding system for aircraft turbines. Life doesn't get much cooler than that :D
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Colonel Olrik wrote: That's one of the best parts of the mechanical engineer degree. You get to learn all these wonderfully fantastic things (together with a bunch of crap, of course). all my life I've been fascinated by physics and mechanic.

Today I went to a job interview. If I'm in, I'll spend my next two years designing a new robotic welding system for aircraft turbines. Life doesn't get much cooler than that :D
Wow, that sounds great!

The more I learn about Engineering, the more I like it...
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Nathan F wrote: Wow, that sounds great!

The more I learn about Engineering, the more I like it...
It is great. I'll make a big party here if they accept me. There's a problem, though. I have a contract that only ends in June and they'd prefer if I had immediate availability. Well, I just have to wait and see if they can't find someone free as good as me and so cheap to them (I'm almost fresh out of college, big wages are still to come :x ).
namdoolb
Padawan Learner

Post by namdoolb »

If we didn't have to deal with air resistance then 45 degrees would always be the optimum firing angle.

As it is, you have to pay attention to the density of your projectile.

If your projectile has a high density (a ball bearing or a marble for example) then you can safely fire at 45 degrees and get the optimum distance.

However, if your projectile has a low density (ping-pong ball for example) then air resistsance will cause it to lose horizontal velocity quickly after launch. In these cases you can sometimes gain further distance by firing at a slightly lower angle. (finding the optimum angle in this case may require trial and error).

**Edit** You could get round the air resistance problem (and probably gain a considerable amount of distance) by filling the ping-pong ball with a heavier substance (water maybe, or sand), but you'd have to check to see if that was allowable **Edit**