Political Leanings?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Political Leanings?

Far Right
2%
Right
13%
Moderate Right
24%
Moderate
12%
Moderate Left
29%
Left
15%
Far Left
4%

Total votes: 91

Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Indepedent, it varies. And besides I've set out to distance myself from an polarized standard.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

RedImperator wrote:I suppose I'd fall under right, but I'm not a very good "right winger" if I'm in favor of gay marriage, drug legalization, strict separation of church and state, and legal abortion up to the point conscious brain activity is detectable in the fetus. But I'm a lousy liberal, because I support strict color-blindness in regards to race both personally and officially with no regards given to "past injustice", minimal government, lassez-faire economic policy, and realpolitik foreign policy. I'm a living illustration of how strict left-right divisions aren't necessarily accurate.
I am pretty much this, but a little more left in the economics. I think certain things like utilities should be socialized.

So I am left.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

More Minarchist than libertarian. Smallest goverment feasible, Free market, decriminalisation of "victim-less" crimes
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Darth Pounder wrote:The certain menbers where also members of the Ulster Volunteer Force and threatened to have me shot in the knee.
Geez, I'd have bashed their knees in with a piece of rebar for that remark.

I'm Right, BTW
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'm on the right, but the degree is highly dependent on the issue
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Aeolus wrote:More Minarchist than libertarian. Smallest goverment feasible, Free market, decriminalisation of "victim-less" crimes
Minarchism is libertarianism. Libertarianism is not anarchism.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
PrinceofLowLight
Jedi Knight

Post by PrinceofLowLight »

Mostly libertarian, but if I have to go by the two-party system, I'll go for the liberal. I find the freedoms they want to take away marginally less unpleasant than the ones conservatives want to take away.
"Remember, being materialistic means never having to acknowledge your feelings"-Brent Sienna, PVP

"In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to Judgement Day with a bookshelf full of grievances, a flaming sword of my own devising, and a serious attitude problem."- Rick Moen

SD.net Rangers: Chicks Dig It
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

From the choices available, I am moderate right. Basicly I am fiscally conservitive and socialy liberal in the classic sence. The Goverment should spend as little cash as possible and people should be able to do what ever the fuck they want to do in their own house. I am registered as an independent because the far right wing fudies scare the shit out of me almost more than the far left eco/commie fucks.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

Durran Korr wrote:
Aeolus wrote:More Minarchist than libertarian. Smallest goverment feasible, Free market, decriminalisation of "victim-less" crimes
Minarchism is libertarianism. Libertarianism is not anarchism.
In theory...In practice most of the all out libertarians I have met are either anarchists or in the"black helo conspiracy crowd" So I prefer to be more specific by calling myself a minarchist
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

MKSheppard wrote:
Darth Pounder wrote:The certain menbers where also members of the Ulster Volunteer Force and threatened to have me shot in the knee.
Geez, I'd have bashed their knees in with a piece of rebar for that remark.

I'm Right, BTW
Too easy to go to their level. I just laughed at them and informed them that i'd been threatened by professionals before and a bunch of tooled up druggies didn't worry me. If they really had permission to do anything i'd never have seen ti coming and they sure wouldn't have warned me.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Confession: I've moved from far-right to just right since being on this board.

I'm sure some of you have noticed the change. :wink:
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

There should be options here for "eclectic - right-leaning," "eclectic - centrist" and "eclectic - left-leaning."
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Support legal abortion until detectable brain activity, strict seperation of church and state, gay marriage, and seperation of business and state. Too many politicians are tainted with campaign money. I object to the patriot act. For financial stuff I don't know, since I don't have a job yet, though I'm leaning right for that and only that. However people in Northern VA turned down a proposal to hike sales taxes to pay for repairing transportation system, which I feel is stupid.

On Copyrights, DRM, etc, I don't know, since both sides are pretty split- IE Fritz Hollings is a democrat and wants to force it down our throats, while Leahy, another democrat opposes it. Same for the republicans, though the Bush administration is way too chummy with those businesses. I don't actually copy or pirate anything, I just don't want the ability to do other things to be mangled in the process- DRM these days is extremely inconvenient- example the cases of Macs getting fucked up from DRM CDs.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Ralnia
Redshirt

Post by Ralnia »

I'm the first "far left" - I'm suprised. This seems to be sentence fragment land, so I'll keep with the pattern.

Support abortion, strict seperation of church and state, gay marriage, and abolition of business. Almost all politicians are completely corrupted with campaign money. I object to the so-called "Patriot Act". Leaning toward limited Communism - definitely minus the anti-democracy part in the USSR. Against income tax alone, and against sales tax alone, in favor of sales taxes based on income. Transportation - Ban private ownership cars, use the money saved to fund lots of mass transit, bikes, and Flexcars if nescessary. Anti-copyright. The Bush regime isn't an "administration," since that implies legitimacy. I also don't copy or pirate anything, since I happen to hate music. Anti-war.

Political Compass: -7.xx libertarian, -9.xx economic left.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Ralnia wrote:I'm the first "far left" - I'm suprised. This seems to be sentence fragment land, so I'll keep with the pattern.

Support abortion, strict seperation of church and state, gay marriage, and abolition of business. Almost all politicians are completely corrupted with campaign money. I object to the so-called "Patriot Act". Leaning toward limited Communism - definitely minus the anti-democracy part in the USSR. Against income tax alone, and against sales tax alone, in favor of sales taxes based on income. Transportation - Ban private ownership cars, use the money saved to fund lots of mass transit, bikes, and Flexcars if nescessary. Anti-copyright. The Bush regime isn't an "administration," since that implies legitimacy. I also don't copy or pirate anything, since I happen to hate music. Anti-war.

Damn, didn't know it was humanly possibly for someone to be so far left...
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Nathan F wrote:
Ralnia wrote:I'm the first "far left" - I'm suprised. This seems to be sentence fragment land, so I'll keep with the pattern.

Damn, didn't know it was humanly possibly for someone to be so far left...

That was supposed to be a poke at the commie-n00b.

:p
Frank_Scenario
Padawan Learner

Post by Frank_Scenario »

I'm far left #2, although I'm not in the same camp as my colleague. I'm one of those people who thinks that the government has moral obligations to provide a just and good society (more-or-less in Rawlsian terminology), so just apply his veil of ignorance/difference principle ideas to determine where I stand on most issues.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Hrm, I was expecting to see a classical bell curve, but it seems there aren't too many 'moderates' here.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Kinda odd. Starting off, the Moderate to Right had the higher votes, now, the Moderate to Left has higher votes.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Ralnia wrote:Against income tax alone, and against sales tax alone, in favor of sales taxes based on income.
How are you going to calculate this? Are you going to mandate that every citizen keeps their reciepts for a purchase - no matter how trivial - so that by the end of the year they can calculate how much they own the government? Or are you going to run under a base assumption for what a person should owe, and then refund/collect as neccessary come 15 April?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Nathan F wrote:That was supposed to be a poke at the commie-n00b.

:p
Well, theoretically communist, since actual governments were authoriarian rather than libertarian :wink:
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

phongn wrote:
Ralnia wrote:Against income tax alone, and against sales tax alone, in favor of sales taxes based on income.
How are you going to calculate this? Are you going to mandate that every citizen keeps their reciepts for a purchase - no matter how trivial - so that by the end of the year they can calculate how much they own the government? Or are you going to run under a base assumption for what a person should owe, and then refund/collect as neccessary come 15 April?
Hate to say it, but after reading the rest of that, do you actually think that alot of thought was put into his/her post? :roll:
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Nathan F wrote:Hate to say it, but after reading the rest of that, do you actually think that alot of thought was put into his/her post? :roll:
I did not particularly feel like critiquing 3/4s of her post.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

phongn wrote:Hrm, I was expecting to see a classical bell curve, but it seems there aren't too many 'moderates' here.
Well, I consider myself just a plain old Moderate. I'm not far enough off the centerline to be moderate left.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Ralnia
Redshirt

Post by Ralnia »

Or are you going to run under a base assumption for what a person should owe...
That sound a lot like the Cabelle - no.
Are you going to mandate that every citizen keeps their reciepts for a purchase - no matter how trivial - so that by the end of the year they can calculate how much they own the government?
I said I was leaning toward libertarian, not authoritarian.
"...How would you calculate it..."
1.When buying the stuff, pay the sales tax rate for the highest income level.
2. When tax time rolls around, people can turn in their reciepts for anything they want a refund for. For most things, a difference of a few percent (between the highest and median levels of sales tax) would only be a few cents, so the people only need to keep the reciepts for the expensive items.
3. It's not hard to figure out income, so we can give appropriate refunds for the sales tax.
do you actually think that alot of thought was put into his post?
No, but enough for a fun debate on it.