ground Battle Scenario.

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

FBHthelizardmage
Padawan Learner

ground Battle Scenario.

Post by FBHthelizardmage »

on a planet at the outer edge of the federation galaxy (just about with in warp range of the federation, klingons, and other outer quadrant powers)
lies a planet which was once inhabited by one of those ancient uber races that keep popping up.

the Star trek galaxy has recently been invaded by the empire (who are of course kicking every ones arse)
however this planet (which has production facility for advanced alien technology) offers the last hope of victory for the alpha quadrant powers.

Unfortunately the varies ST powers are fighting among themselves. Each faction has sent its own faction to the planet.

The control center for the planet (where all of the planets systems can be controlled from ) is located in a series of underground tunnels deep in the
bed rock. These tunnels link large (several square km) chambers in each of which has its own environmental conditions (deserts, jungles, tundra,
etc.)

Each faction has sent a group of ground troops to find the control center.
No one ship orbital support and the tunnel walls block sensors and transporter.
scenario one. assuming a normal commander who wins?

scenario two you command what tactics would you use? what extra equipment (your culture has to have it) would you request?

the factions.
200 Klingon with daggers, Bat'lefs disrupters, and grenade launchers.

200 federation red shirts with Grenade launchers, phaser rifles and pistols, dune buggies and triquoters.

200 USA ground troops with standard weapons and vehicles the USA having broken away from the federation and is now using its 20th century
equipment on the ground and ST tech in space.

200 Storm troops with standard weapons and varies vehicles.

200 Romulans with whatever the hell weapons they have.

200 borg.

200 Ferengi with plasma whips and vehicles.
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

I'd have to say the US guys and Stormies would have the best chances. The klingons would make some violent headlong attacks, maybe slaughtering some feddies or ALOT of ferengi, but expect them to get butchered by the US or Imperial troops. The romulans would probably attempt to exploit the ferengi or cut deals with one side or another and jump in at the last minute and try to take over once one group found the control center. The borg would probably do an evil job on any of the ST groups there, but they would get blown to shit by the Stormies or US troops. The feddies would fare moderately well against the romulans and ferengi, but would have a harder time with the klingons and get whooped by the borg. They would also get SLAUGHTERED by the Imps and US guys. My bet is that the borg, romulans, klingons and ferengi are attritted horribly during the search and are mostly wiped out by the Feds and Stormies. Then it turns into a battle royal between those two groups, with the stormies having the advantage of advanced weaponry. I say the stormies win.

I probably missed alot of stuff there, anyone else see another angle on this?
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

mostly wiped out by the Feds and Stormies
sorry, that should be US guys and Stormies...
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I don't really see how any group other than the stormies and the US army would even have a chance at victory. I think that the stormies would win eventually, because their armor is capable of stopping US army rounds easily. The only question would be how long it would take them to secure their objectives.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

yeah... maybe they'd form an alliance or something. The imps having a big allied country on the fed homeworld would be a big plus.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

tharkûn
Tireless defender of wealthy businessmen

Post by tharkûn »

How big are the connecting tunnels? I.e. can you fit an M1 down them, but not say a 30m tall AT-AT? More mobile armor and more profuse use of grenades/grenade launchers are likely the US's big assets. If they get mobile M1's and some good IFV's I'd bet on them.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Stormtroopers should win unless the US Army brings along a full company heavy weapons set along with a couple items from the battalion level, which is quite possible these numbers, or armor which is also possible with 200 men. This of course assuming the Imperial doesn't bring in anything bigger then an AT-ST, which I don’t think is unrealistic.

They might not even bring those; land speeders would allow them to cover more ground.

With mortars, mine and Mk19's, and a chance to dig some basic firing positions, the US Army would stand a fair chance against Stormtroopers in one of the open arenas. They'd almost certainly be all mounted in vehicles, so they should already have a lot of M2s and some Mk.19s and some javelin teams.

M2 fire may kill a Stormtrooper, but it will knock them over, which helps. And Mk19 would be effective thanks to the fragmentation. Mortar rounds should also be effective along with mines.

Everything else is fodder for these forces.

However, I'd think the US Army might team up with the Imperials; the US would and has worked with Dictatorships in preference to uber communists like the Federation. With Imperial troops providing close quarters protection to US Army mortars, battles wouldn't even be funny. The Imperials do have there own mortars, but they don’t seem to be in Stromtrooper use and may only be an army weapon.

The Japanese worked that way, the Special naval landing forces had no mortars but did have normal artillery, so it's not completely out of the world.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

that would be so cool to see, Hordes of klingons charging a US/Imperial firing line and getting butchered by M60s and E-Webs and heavy Vehicle Mounted .50 cals, HEHEHEHEH :twisted:
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Falkenhorst wrote:that would be so cool to see, Hordes of klingons charging a US/Imperial firing line and getting butchered by M60s and E-Webs and heavy Vehicle Mounted .50 cals, HEHEHEHEH :twisted:
You wont find M60s in normal Army ground units any more, its all M240s now.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

eh, I've been watching too much Full Metal Jacket lately as it is. Are they still mounting M60s in helos and on light vehicles then?
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Falkenhorst wrote:eh, I've been watching too much Full Metal Jacket lately as it is. Are they still mounting M60s in helos and on light vehicles then?
They are stilled used on some UH-1's, and out the back of CH-47's, but that’s basicly it, and even those are on the way out. The M60 was a poor weapon; it always has been and always will be. The US Army Rangers held onto them for longer then most branches, but even they have discarded them for M240s.

Course, a lot of M60s still exist in stock, but they wont be coming back unless the US Army needs to raise 20 infantry divisions overnight to do battle with invading space antis who can't be harmed with 5.56
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

I would think the us Army wold still have feddi tech and feddi training if so the stormies would kick some ass. :twisted:
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Admiral Drason wrote:I would think the us Army wold still have feddi tech and feddi training if so the stormies would kick some ass. :twisted:
I believe the thread started said otherwise...
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

I see. I should keep closer track of current military developments.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Singuler Quartet wrote:
Admiral Drason wrote:I would think the us Army wold still have feddi tech and feddi training if so the stormies would kick some ass. :twisted:
I believe the thread started said otherwise...
My mistake :oops: the us Army and the Stormies would both wipe the floor whith the other armys :)
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: ground Battle Scenario.

Post by NecronLord »

FBHthelizardmage wrote:on a planet at the outer edge of the federation galaxy (just about with in warp range of the federation, klingons, and other outer quadrant powers)
lies a planet which was once inhabited by one of those ancient uber races that keep popping up.

the Star trek galaxy has recently been invaded by the empire (who are of course kicking every ones arse)
however this planet (which has production facility for advanced alien technology) offers the last hope of victory for the alpha quadrant powers.

Unfortunately the varies ST powers are fighting among themselves. Each faction has sent its own faction to the planet.

The control center for the planet (where all of the planets systems can be controlled from ) is located in a series of underground tunnels deep in the
bed rock. These tunnels link large (several square km) chambers in each of which has its own environmental conditions (deserts, jungles, tundra,
etc.)

Each faction has sent a group of ground troops to find the control center.
No one ship orbital support and the tunnel walls block sensors and transporter.
scenario one. assuming a normal commander who wins?

scenario two you command what tactics would you use? what extra equipment (your culture has to have it) would you request?

the factions.
200 Klingon with daggers, Bat'lefs disrupters, and grenade launchers.

200 federation red shirts with Grenade launchers, phaser rifles and pistols, dune buggies and triquoters.

200 USA ground troops with standard weapons and vehicles the USA having broken away from the federation and is now using its 20th century
equipment on the ground and ST tech in space.

200 Storm troops with standard weapons and varies vehicles.

200 Romulans with whatever the hell weapons they have.

200 borg.

200 Ferengi with plasma whips and vehicles.
One fed gets there, using the tricorder to get through the tunnels, until he is killed by the hostile enviroment inside the chambers, Only the U.S. and the stormies have a chance, and even then only really the stormies. The strmies reach the control room and trip an alarm engaging the autodestruct killing everyone, 100% fatalities. :twisted:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth