Who CAN the Borg drones beat?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

The Borg wouldn't ring the doorbell, they'd try to assimilate the doorbell, and while it's busy getting their tubules around that, you bash it's head in with a board with a nail in it.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Or I'd just blow their brains out with my functional flintlock pistol replica (TM).
Supermod
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

DarkStar wrote:
Darth Wong wrote: I like the way he always makes vague reference to sources, so you have to be familiar with the source in order to see how he's shamelessly misrepresenting it.
That's our Wong . . . always willing to lie to further his own point.
Like his bizarre claim that the SWE proves SW neutronium is a metallic substance, even though the text actually says nothing of the kind.
"The Star Wars Encyclopedia (referencing the Star Wars Sourcebook and Rebel Dawn) says neutronium is a heavy metallic element, and that those three elements make up Imperial dura-armor and durasteel."
http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/STSWneutronium.html

"Neutronium
an heavy metallic element used in the formation of dura-armor and durasteel. (SWSB, RD, CTD)"
http://www1.theforce.net/CUSWE/categori ... 15&type=72

Now if, bychance, some Warsie was mistaken about the origin of the quote, and I have repeated this mistake, one would have two choices:

1. Deny the existence of the fact that SW non-canon materials make the claim, and call me a liar.

2. Assume that I got the source mistaken, and correct me.

Given that the Unofficial Encyclopedia entry does not refer to the SW Encyclopedia as one of the references, it may be that my source data is in error. This does not alter the facts of the case, nor does it make me a liar.

If you would care to post the entry on neutronium from the Encyclopedia for all to see, I would be delighted. At the moment, all I have from you (besides BS character attacks) is this:

"Furthermore, Imperial dura-armor is made by "compressing and binding neutronium, lomite, and zersium molecules together through the process of matrix acceleration", according to the SWE."
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tec ... Beam2.html
By your own rules these are non-applicable scources. stop talking out of your rear end Darkstar.

Need I reming you the Nutronium ziggarut that the feds can't affect is not real nutronium either?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Question on Borg Tactics:

You are inside your house. Its a pretty solid house with brick, bullet-proof glass, and steel doors. You have a speaker/microphone setup that lets you decide wether or not to open the door to someone.

A single borg drone is outside and wants to assimilate you, but he's physically incapable of breaking through the door or window. He assimaltes a door-to-door Jehovah witness and learns that you scheduled a meeting with them.

What does the borg do:

1) Pound on the door shouting "Resistance is futile".
2) Ring the doorbell and ask you to open the door because "We are the borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile"
3) Ring the doorbell and say "We'd like to speak to you about God, Resistance is futile."

It appears to me that #3 has the most chance of success, but would the borg use deception? Does the borg sense of superiority and purpose restrict him to #1 or #2?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Gudging by their actions in ST:FC they'd go and build a small one-use transporter and beam you out, failing which they might just go and assimilate someone else, and come back later.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Remember the walls of your house are made out of bricks!
Transporters can not penetrate them!
Supermod
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

from dimstar's site
And, naturally, there were inertial dampening systems in place on spacecraft as early as 2063, with artificial gravity definitely observed as early as 2151.
Need I remind you that star wars has had intertial dampeners since before 25,000 before episode IV? take a look at any ship jumping to hyperspace,

CANON

now shut you 'ole dumbstar
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Cpt_Frank wrote:Remember the walls of your house are made out of bricks!
Nope, but if you live next to a mobile phone mast, or electricity pylon you're safe.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Um, yes, forgot to add that the bricks are made of magnesite and are therefore immune to transporters and sensors.

:)
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Zoink wrote:
Um, yes, forgot to add that the bricks are made of magnesite and are therefore immune to transporters and sensors.

:)
How about working with your PC? Will the monitor's radiaton sufficient to protect you from transporter?
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

NecronLord wrote: By your own rules these are non-applicable scources.
It is a page dealing with a popular Warsie claim derived from non-canon data. I attack it on the grounds that it is not only false due to its non-canonicity, but also because the non-canon demonstrates it is not real neutronium.
Need I reming you the Nutronium ziggarut that the feds can't affect is not real nutronium either?
Assertion without proof.

Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Hey is it only me, or does anyone else here, too, think that DS is especially dense and active the last few days?
Supermod
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
How about working with your PC? Will the monitor's radiaton sufficient to protect you from transporter?

As long as it's a good old CRT monitor and not one of those new LCD ones it should do the trick. I also have a wrist mounted transporter jammer, it's actually a wristwatch with radioactive glow in the dark tritium gas tubes. :D
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

aerius wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

As long as it's a good old CRT monitor and not one of those new LCD ones it should do the trick. I also have a wrist mounted transporter jammer, it's actually a wristwatch with radioactive glow in the dark tritium gas tubes. :D

Heck, just toss some popcorn into the microwave oven and let 'er rip. I bet that'll scramble the crap out of transporters. Make them Feddies nice and toastie too. :twisted:

I also have one of those "ligting balls". I bet staying in close proximity to that thing would protect me from transporters. Esepceially with the stereo playing so there's now wave pattern or predictable frequency for them to work through.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Turn on the radio, microwave, TV, and computer. That'll scramble their transporters.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

My short-wave radio should be able to providing transporter jamming over half the earth's surface.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Considering that our planet is awash with zillions of radio waves and broadcating stations, there's no way for anything to get beamed down. Hell, all those RF waves will probably cause fatal electronics glitches in any ST ship. :D
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

DumbStar wrote:
Assertion without proof.

errm, people walk around inside it, well Gem-hadar, are they people?

big cylindrical monster made out of nutronium

I belive I speak for all of us when I say...

SHUT YOU UGLY FACE YOU OBNOXIOUS STUPID CRETTIN!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Somewhat like a primitive mounting shrunken heads on poles around his territory darkstar has the following quote on his index page.(http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/)
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

-Thomas Paine
enough said I belive...