Alderaan Ring theory

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Beowulf
The Patrician

Alderaan Ring theory

Post by Beowulf »

I have developed a hypothesis that could explain why there was a ring when Alderaan exploded. To put it quite simply, the rings result from shield generators. When the shield overloaded, some of the energy in the shield was absorbed by the shield generators, instantly vaporizing them.

No, you may ask why this would generate a ring. The answer is, there isn't just one generator, but several, arranged in a ring around the planet. Multiple shield generators are supported in official sources, and this would explain the otherwise anomalous ring.

Thoughts, flames, questions?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Already been though of already been mentioned, already been explained

It some-where on this board

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

It has? Dang, and I thought I was being original. Oh well, anyone have a link to the first post of this theory?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

*Shrugs maybe the orgional author will drop by but I don't remeber who wrote it

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Don't worry, Darkstar will soon pop in here and start blaring out defeated arguments and flat out lies, and soon this threaed will be an exact clone of the other Death Star threads.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Beowulf wrote:It has? Dang, and I thought I was being original. Oh well, anyone have a link to the first post of this theory?
I actually proposed it while trying to show DarkStar that his theory wasn't the only one to explain it.

I suggested that, because we've seen hypermatter reactors in use in the prequel trilogy (according to the Episode II ICS, TF battleships have hypermatter reactors) they are a common enough technology and would logically be used to power planetary shields: and since both Death Stars, which had hypermatter reactors, exploded with rings, perhaps Alderaan's power generators were hypermatter reactors.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Actually, my theory is slightly different. I proposed that the sheild generators exploded when they were overstressed, and were in a ring shape around the equator, thus causing a ring shape from debris of the shield generators and surroundings. Basically similar though.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I always thought it might have something to do with the magnetic field of Alderaan.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Could possibly have explained Ring One, if it were alone. However, there is a Ring Two, by which point your generators have been long-since vaporized.
Vapthorne
Youngling

Post by Vapthorne »

Two rings: one ray shield and one particle shield?

I dunno??
"Your superior intelligect is no match for our primitive weapons!" -Kaang

"So tiny, you can't tell it's a deus ex machina!" -The Particles of Star Trek
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Perhaps, the second ring was the backup shield. Always carry a spare. Still the particle shield-ray shield hyppothesis was good. As for now, I'm sticking with the good ol' 1E38 joules theory.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

What about the magnetic field? :(
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:What about the magnetic field? :(
I proposed some time ago that the magnetic field could be partially responsible for the alignment of the ring (think of Alderaan as being like Uranus, magnetically sideways). I also felt this wcould explain the first and second DS explosive orientations (there were some large capacitors with magnetic fields which could have acted as a wave guide). The theory is rather full of holes but it is about as valid as any of the "mysterious chain reaction" theories.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Could possibly have explained Ring One, if it were alone. However, there is a Ring Two, by which point your generators have been long-since vaporized.
How do you know that? The resultant second ring could simply be caused by the destruction of the bulk of the planet's mass. To wit: The first explosion decimated the hemisphere that it hit, while the second explosion was caused when the superlaser beam penetrated the planet's core, causing the "second phase" of the explosion. The power generators on the far side of the planet would have been destroyed by the "second phase" (which was really the same blast, just destroying the densest part of the target). Thusly, both rings are explained.

Spanky...
I always thought it might have something to do with the magnetic field of Alderaan.
Could be. The only targets that we have seen give off rings have been those large enough to have a significant magnetic field, i.e.- the starships destroyed by the DS2's superlaser didn't create a ring.
The Great and Malignant
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

SPOOFE wrote: The power generators on the far side of the planet would have been destroyed by the "second phase" (which was really the same blast, just destroying the densest part of the target). Thusly, both rings are explained.
The rings make a full circle both times. If the shield was down when the first set of generators blew, then these generators would have been globe-encircling. I can't think of any valid reason why a second set of generators would wait to blow, why they would blow like that, or how they would make a full circle when the 'front' of the planet was already long since gone.

Further, the band of destruction met itself at the time of the second blast. This suggests that everything on the surface or even remotely close to it was already destroyed.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

The circle is so because the majority of the SL blast was focused that way to minimize possibly collateral damage on the surroundings.

Thats certanly a possibility not requiring magic pixie fairy dust.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Couldn't the ring be a result of the super laser? The laser penitraits the planet, and the beam explodes into a ring destroying the it. Just a thought. Oh by the way, I'm new, and would like to introduce myself. Howdy.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

The rings make a full circle both times. If the shield was down when the first set of generators blew, then these generators would have been globe-encircling.
Whoever said the shockring - if that is, indeed, what it is - can't pass through matter? Sound does an excellent job of doing this.
I can't think of any valid reason why a second set of generators would wait to blow
I gave a reason. Please improve your literacy.
Further, the band of destruction met itself at the time of the second blast. This suggests that everything on the surface or even remotely close to it was already destroyed.
Or it suggests that there were two significant explosions, which I already pointed out. Again, please improve your literacy.
The Great and Malignant
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Also, with regards to the shockring... one need not assume that it can pass through matter. All one needs to assume is that the crust and mantle of the planet was destroyed first, followed a split second later by the much denser planetary core, which would, naturally, be a (slightly) tougher egg to crack.
The Great and Malignant
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

SPOOFE wrote:
The rings make a full circle both times. If the shield was down when the first set of generators blew, then these generators would have been globe-encircling.
Whoever said the shockring - if that is, indeed, what it is - can't pass through matter? Sound does an excellent job of doing this.
Then you must explain the location of the ring's centerpoint, and the reason it exists, and what the hell the ring would be that would allow it to pass through matter in such a fashion.
I can't think of any valid reason why a second set of generators would wait to blow
I gave a reason. Please improve your literacy.
I know you tried to give one. You'll note the sentence says "valid reason" . . . literacy indeed.
Or it suggests that there were two significant explosions, which I already pointed out. Again, please improve your literacy.
You have given no source for the secondary blast. Identifying and providing rational cause are two different things . . . literacy indeed.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

SPOOFE wrote:Also, with regards to the shockring... one need not assume that it can pass through matter. All one needs to assume is that the crust and mantle of the planet was destroyed first, followed a split second later by the much denser planetary core, which would, naturally, be a (slightly) tougher egg to crack.
The first ring occurs prior to the destruction of the crust or mantle.

http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/STSWaldpics.html
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Folks, can I call them or can I call them?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Nobody
Youngling

Post by Nobody »

Ender wrote:Folks, can I call them or can I call them?
What can we say...

Your Good...
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

I think there is a ring affect because it looks cooler than a bunch of dirt and some sparks when stuff goes kablooee