Stormcrow

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

"Ah! Stormcorw," the hunched form rasped. "I knew it! Everything in this city seems to be revolving around that disturbed kindred of late. He is a wanted man. Wanted by everyone. For what he has by some, for who he is by others."

Dark eyes moved from one face to the other, the only details to be seen behind the dark vail.

"We saw him flee," she continued. "We saw him running, pursued first by the Camarilla, then by the Assamites. The assassins may have taken most of the kindred artifacts, but not everything. There is still one piece remaining. The most important piece as you are, I'm sure, well aware."

Again the cron paused for what would have been a heartbeat.

"But he didn't escape both those focused and able men without help. Oh no, I know of no prey that could do such a thing alone. And we saw, we took note of it all!"

"Get on with it," Alec exclaimed, his gaze darting to his Sire breifly. "Who helped him?!"

Joe nodded in agreement with the question. He had just been about to ask the same thing. Only not as nicely.

"Shut up, boy," the Noferatu dismissed Alec. "Women are talking!"

Joe's hand shot to the younger vampires shoulder. Jack too, readied himself to come between his friend and the other.

The woman continued with a snort. "Sabbat!"

The word hung in the air of a moment like the smoke a cheap cigar. From here meeting earlier that night, Anna was not surprised in the least. If the others felt the same way it was more because they had come to realize that anything bad that could happen to them probably was going to.

"Yes," the rambling continued. "If the Assamites hadn't made their play for the scroll of Ad Avis, the Sabbat would certainly have in short order. That item is the only reason one such as Jennifer Lazlo, or even yourselves for that matter, would come at this time to this place.

"They helped Stormcrow evade his persuers. Helped him make it all the way to the airport. I do not believe the Malkavian was aware of this aid but I could be wrong. Why the Sabbat still remains in Jeruselam I can not say. Perhaps our paranoid friend Eliot was aware even of them and managed to lose them on the other end of his flight." The woman cackled at the thought.

"Do you know where he was headed," Anna asked.

"Why back to the United States," came the reply. "Back to the soil of his homeland and the only safety he has ever really know. Where he would have gone from there, I do not know."

"Oh, fuck me!" Joe spun in exasperation. He was starting to feel like he was dancing to a tune. Running a hand through his hair, he calmed. "Well, I guess we're going back. He at least had the scroll with him, right?"

"Yes. Of that I am certain."

"Well that narrows it down from the entire world we had to search before knowing this," Jack offered.

Alec snorted, unimpressed.

The two women ignored them all and continued.

"Is there anything else your people know?" Anna covered her bases as she thought. "Is there anything else you can tell us?"

"I know that if you wish to find a kindred such as Eliot Stormcrow, you must know his mind. And the easiest way to a disturbed mind is through disturbed writings."

The group looked at each other in confusion, waiting for the finish.

"Artifacts were not the only things that Ahmed Mohammed Vazi took with him that night," the hag explained. "There was also a book. The journal of our much sought after Stormcrow. Perhaps there is something within those pages that will point to his whereabouts."

"So Ehab's partner has Stormcrow's journal," Anna Bruck said the words more to herself than anything else. To the Nos she asked, "Is there anything you can tell us about Ahmed that might help us get that journal?"

"Very strong, very skilled is that Assamite," the other offered. "But also very carefree and reckless. Many are the nights that he can be found among the gambling dens or betting on one sport or another. Chance is his weakness."

After a few more minutes of conversation and questions that led nowhere, the group thanked the Noferatu and let her be on her way.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Alec had a dark look on his face. He didn't want another confrontation with the Assamite. There were few things he was afraid of but he found he was afraid of the Assamite. He had become one of the Kindred for eternal life and now he was forced to risk his unlife for the Camarilla.

"I suppose we should go find him or Stormcrow'll get away" Alec said half-heartedly "Hopefully that Assamite will know something. Other wise we're in deep trouble."

Alec turned to Anna, she, naturally, had a knack for finding gamblers of the sort they needed to find. She could find a way in with cardsharks and hustlers in any country and they'd need her help to find the Assamite in time.

"Any ideas?"
Last edited by Stormbringer on 2003-04-24 09:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

"Well," Joe said crossing his arms. "We have contacts in the States, don't we? Why don't we see if any of them know anything?"

He turned to Anna and shrugged.

"Why don't you get on the ol' telly, call your bar, and put someone to work making calls to nosey people. At least than we might have a chance of beating those freaky Sabs to him while we're getting this journal. If we can actaully get it that is."
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Anna nodded. "Easily done. Let's get back so we can sleep and tomorrow night we will go see if we can find Ehab and get our hands on that journal." She walked off towards their temporary haven, pulling out her cell phone.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

It was early evening at The Eye of Horus and the bar had yet to even begin to fill. Going about his various prep duties, Tennessee Hatheway, the establishment's burly tender of bar, found his gaze straying to a spot on the wall behind him. A spot that at most times was filled with the owner's damascan blade. It was quite empty now and that void had been the topic of many curious question over the past few days.

As if on cue, the phone behind the bar began to ring, giving the man somewhat of a start.

"Yeallo," he said in his usual friendly manner, cradling the receiver between his chin and shoulder as he continued slicing lemons.

"Oh hi boss! You guys getting down to business?" The bartender stopped his hands and concentrated fully on the conversation. "No, she's not around. Yeah, there's been a bit of activity. Some guy was poking around the Reece home. No, not kindred, just a man. Apparently moved like he wasn't used to a normal body though. Might have been possessed or something. They say it looked like he spotted the sentries and took off."

Ten paused to listen as the woman on the other side of the world spoke. "Yeah, right, sure," he replied. "City's been a bit of a hornets nest. I don't think Darian knew anything about you leaving. He seems to know what's up now though. Sabbat's been creeping around." The man gave a short laugh at something over the phone.

"There's something else too. Couple days ago, after you left, someone came in looking for you. One of your kind, super paranoid, a Malk, I actually knew the guy from Montana back in the old days. But that was before he was turned. Wasn't so crazy then. Eliot somethingorother. I can't remember the last name. Stormcrow? Yeah, that could be it. No shit? Hell, next time show me these pictures before you go rushing off. Well he was looking for you too. Seemed like he wanted your help but like I say, he was REALLY paranoid. He wasn't going to hang around waiting for you to come back."

Another pause.

"Yeah, he had a something with him. All wrapped up in clothe. Held on to it like his life depended on it."

Again the voice on the other end questioned.

"He said he had to go home. I'm pretty sure he meant his place in Montana. I'll try to remember where for you.

"Yeah, I'll get some people on it too. Right, see you later."

Hatheway hung up the phone and picked up his paring knife again. He paused for a moment thinking about the strange man he had known so long ago.

As the sun fell over Jerusalem the next night, Anna Bruck awoke in the small room that had been set aside for her party. Not much bigger than a standard bedroom, all four of them had been put in the same room. It wasn't the most private of environments, and certainly not near to being comfortable, but she had been through worse.

At first she thought she was the first to rise but soon noticed Joe propped in the opposite corner, staring blankly at the picture of himself. Faintly, she could hear the strains of music coming from his tiny earphones.

He noticed her movement and pulled the plugs from his ears. The chorus of "New Orleans is Sinking" by The Tragically Hip played out to the room for a second before being cut off.

"You know," the man started, still looking at the picture. "We used to think that when you looked into a mirror, it was your soul staring back at you. The first time I looked and saw nothing, I knew it was true. Then I learn about light and reflection and I'm left wonder why I see nothing in the mirror. Now I finally see this."

Joe folded the picture back up and shoved it in his pocket.

"So where do you think we should go from here? Straight to Montana or still after the journal? How well do you trust Hatheway's memory to get us where we need to go?"
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Anna sat up to face him, legs crossed under her. "If Montana is where Stormcrow has gone, then that's where we need to go. But, having the journal would be helpful. He'd be much easier to track then." She sighed and propped her head in her hands.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Joe pursed his lips and nodded slowly.

"It would certainly give us an idea of how he thinks," he said. "Journals are usually good for that. But it also gives him, and everyone else looking for him, a head start."
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

"We could split up," she suggested rather reluctantly. "Or go in and forcibly take it from the Assamites."

A grin crossed her lips for a moment before a frown replaced it. She looked at Jack's still sleeping form and spoke quietly. "Someone was hanging around the Reece house. Luckily my sentries scared them away. Ten thought it might have been someone possessing someone else. I'm worried."
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

The Caitiff's eyes flashed for the briefest of moments at Anna's words. His gaze darted to Jack and than back. So it had been her! Bruck had ordered Reece's old family watched. He should have known. No doubt D'Anjou had used his time in transit back to the Mid East to possess someone and make sure Joe kept his word. Joe was sure they were luckier than they knew.

"Any idea who it could be?" Joe's face was as unreadable as stone, his words hushed. "Giovanni? Assamites? The kid seems to make enemies easily enough. Cairnes trying to get himself some insurance that Reece does his job?"

Joe knew exactly who it had been. Could he tell the others now?

He looked over at the Gangrel again and thought about his words. It was funny. He refered to Jack as 'Kid', yet to look at them, the other man was older. Joe had almost stopped noticing things like that.

"I'm not sure he should know about this."
Last edited by Mark S on 2003-04-30 05:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

"Know what?" Jack asked grogiily as he sat up. He hated the torpor that he could so easily slip into when the angry sun rose over head in the sky. It was as if he were dead again, the same way he was that first night when D'Anjou savgely drained him in the desert. He lay there, more tired than he had ever been in his life and it took all his will power tom maintain some semblance of counciousness.

He could barely hear the words behind the stunning gulf of silence that he seemed to be floating in.

"I grant thee life again, my crusader, drink of this for it is my blood and through it is the path to eternal life."

He felt those first fiery drops on his lips and he could taste the power, the sweet nectar and suddenly the cold was disturbed by fire, a fire that erupted in his heart and head simultaneously as the first drop of kindred vitae infested his bloodstream.

He sat up screaming like a mad man as the pain tore through his body and he he could not help it, the desperate desire to reach out for life, pain meant life, the cold silence would be held at bay and he would not face the eternal oblivion.

His nightmares revolved around those first nights and the worst of the nightmares were very simple, not the tortures as Geoffrey tried to burn away any vestiges of the man that he used to be through hideous brutality, not the cold nights spent wondering whether his sire would leave him for the sun, not the desperate feedings from unwilling subjects to further dehumanize his "little Crusader". Not it was a single thought that terrified him more than all of these.

That he would not have come back. That the vitae would not bring him back into this semblance of life. That he would simply continue to sink into the cold quiet oblivion. Why were kindred so afraid of Final Death? because they had stood on the doorstep before, they knew what waited for them on the otherside. NOTHING.

He glanced between the two, wondering why he felt so trusting aorund them. He was a cautious son of a bitch, but something about Joe's calm nature quieted his Beast and reminded him of his father. Anna's self assurance was like a shield from his own harrowng self doubt. Alec's dry wit was a relief from teh pain of unlife.

But why the fuck did he trust someone who was damned like he?
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Joe's eyes met Anna's as they silently made their agreement. They both knew Jack would forsake anything the Camarilla wanted of him for the wife and children of his life.

"Nothing." Joe remained expressionless as he looked Jack in the face. "We were just talking about swords and swordsmanship. I was saying that whoever taught you that God aweful style of yours should be strung up." the vampire pulled on a huge smile. "Bruck here wanted to tell you but I wasn't going to. You AND DuMont. You Twentieth century guys and your guns. No class."

It was obvious that he was joking. It served its purpose though and changed the subject.

"So what do you think, Reece? Do we break for Montana or take time to get Stormcrow's journal first?"
Last edited by Mark S on 2003-04-30 05:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Anna saw the flash in Joe's eyes. He knew something. She would have to talk to him a lot more later. She heard Jack move and sit up. "Know what?" he had asked.

"Evening sleepy head," she said cheerfully, quickly changing the subject. "We have a delima. We have two choices. Go back to the US and find Stormcrow OR stay here and get his diary so we know a bit more about him. What's your thoughts?"
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Alec sat up but was still half asleep. He wipied his eyes sleeply; he had always been a heavy sleeper and his injuries were still bothering him.

"Might as go after the journal. We don't have any idea what he's up to or why. What good is it to find him if we can't stop him? And if we don't catch him this time we might lose him for good. I say we get the journal."

He turned to Joe

"And not only do I have no class and no taste in weapons, I have no respect for my elders and absolutely no concept of how hard it is to have a stick so far up my ass my tongue gets splinters."

Alec gave him a big shit eating grin before going grim again.

"Splitting up would be a bad idea. We'd be vulnerable and I don't want to find out the hard way what Stormcrow is up to."
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

"'Know your enemy.' That was drilled into me as a soldier and my so called sire also trained me to speak the tongue of our prey and to know them as best as we could. Its saved me a couple of times already so I have to agree with Alec on this one. We won't know him unless we read that journal, maybe we can glean what we can from it and get one step ahead of him. Once we get inside someone's head we get an insight into their motives and plans. I much prefer KNOWING what we're getting into before confronting the kook." Jack added.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

"Okay, as much as I want to find Eliot and the book, perhaps the journal is best first. We need a plan." She tapped a finger against her lips. "Maybe Alec would do well here." She turned to look at her childe. "You are, after all, our best gambler."
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Joe’s face split in a grin as big as Alec’s.

“I like this guy more and more each night,” he commented, shaking his head incredulously. “So I guess this means we’re going after the journal. Good. Saddle up boys and girls.”

He paused for a beat as he stood in one fluid motion. “Just don’t shoot yourselves in the feet.”

When they were all ready and leaving the room, Joe was the last out, still muttering. “God damn bullets. Only good they’re for is causing me grief getting through metal detectors...”

It wasn’t long before one of the local Camarilla had directed them to where the Assamite Ahmed could be found faithfully every week on this night. The dog fights.

It was a dingy warehouse on the outskirts of the Jewish section of the city. The perfect setting for underhanded dealings and brutal gaming. Every week the dogs would be brought out and pitted against each other in the confines of what had once been a large water basin. People of all walks of underhanded life would congregate as if hearing the gospel of some black-market bishop.

The smell of sweat and blood greeted the Camarilla investigators long before the pack of neophyte toughs. The lights of the gathering could be seen through the wall from here. The barking of the crowd mixed with that of the dogs in a murmured hum.

So close yet so far.

The young vampires, Assamites all, wasted no time with words but simply attacked. They outnumbered the group two to one and thought their chances were quite good. Many carried wicked looking daggers but a few used nothing but their bare hands.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Anna sighed. "Why must we do this EVERY time? I grow tired of your games."
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

There was no response. No verbal response that is. Without a moment of thought, without the slightest bit of hesitation, one of the attackers thrust a knife into Anna’s stomach. He twisted the blade and snarled for effect.

The other neophytes were already going to work on their own targets. Jumping in with wild abandon, they attacked as if crazed.

Two tackled Alec as he tried to pull his gun. Another launched herself at joe. A third came slowly toward Jack while his partner moved to flank.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Anna looked down at her now torn shirt, the now bent knife still sticking through. "Damn you all to hell. That's TWO shirts you owe me." She felt the blood surge through her as she grabbed his wrist and twisted it hard, breaking it. She growled and pulled on his arm, throwing him into several of the others standing around.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Joe rolled back with his attackers momentum, staving off slashing talons as he positioned his feet on her stomach. With a push of his legs he sent his opponent sailing over to land hard on the unforgiving ground.

A second later he was on his feet again, just in time to side step another attack while trying to untangle himself from his overcoat. Hooking an arm under the passing enemy’s shoulder, its feet were suddenly finding sky instead of earth. Its head was having the opposite experience.

Quickly, he thrust his foot down sharply, snapping bone and crushing the fallen vampire’s throat completely. Even as it croaked, the creature grabbed his planted shin and twisted with all of its unnatural strength.

At the same time, the first attacker had regained herself and was coming back for another charge. Vicious claws gleamed in the moonlight as she came on hungrily.

The Elder Caitiff let himself be led by his enemy’s manoeuver. Spinning with his leg, he added his own strength to the action and brought a devastating kick to the head of the first opponent. The charging Assamite once again found herself eating dirt. The other found its neck turned to pulp under thick boot treads.

Leaping at his remaining foe before the woman could find her footing, Joe dug in with his own claws. He tore at her jugular and the area was awash in blood before the fight was over.

He looked up from his work, once again pushing his coat back and away from his hands. What he saw were the groins of two more vampires. Scanning quickly up, he took in the full monstrousness of his new situation.

The two were of almost gigantic proportions. Easily seven feet tall with thick limbs and barrel chests, they looked down menacingly at Joe from faces modified to be far more demonic than human. In all, they were grizzly displays of vampiric flesh modification.

Joe sprang back as far as his undead strength could carry him, landing on his feet with a flourish of his long, black coat. With some distance between him and his new foes he drew his short sword and gave it a few test swings.

He made a quick scan of the area to make sure no one else was going to attack him as the two giants advanced.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Two Assimites piled on Alec, draggin him to the ground. Weakened by his wounds he had a hard time fighting back. He struggled against them, thrashing in their grip.

"Aghhh, let me go you bastards"

With all of his celerity enhanced he pulled his arm loose from the Assamites' grip. His knife sprang to his hand in a flash.

With a cry of rage Alec slashed at the face of the attacker clinging to his arm. The blade bit deep into the undead flesh and bone. The steel turned the young warrior's face to ruin. He let go of Alec and clutched his face.

Alec swung to face his other assailant. His opponent had recovered and lunged at Alec. Pinned Alec fought back as best he could. He slammed the blade of his knife into the Assamite's chest. He could feel steel grate along bone. Alec threw him back with all his strength.

He managed to draw his gun and point it at the Assamite who froze and stood staring at Alec.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Anna looked around to see who needed the most help. Alec was grappling on the ground. He could take care of himself. She didn't spot Jack anywhere. Joe, however, had his hands full. Two lumbering behemoths were advancing on him.

She pulled her blade from her jacket and moved to intercept. "Boys, you really would rather back down than take another step forward. You won't like me when I'm upset." She spun the blade in one hand.

The two giants snarled and advanced. With a shake of her head, she swung the blade out, catching them both in the chest. They took one more step before noticing they both were bleeding. The one on the left stumbled backwards a step or two. The other just got angrier. He swung a huge fist at Anna's head.

She brought the blade up to block, drawing a bit more blood, but easily being thrust aside. Without warning, her body suddenly met the ground with a thump. She gasped in pain as she felt her arm come out of its socket.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

The monstrous vampire towered over the fallen Ventrue woman and snarled in triumph. Before she could react, it stomped down on her blade and pounded its fist into her back like the piston of a train engine. Ribs cracked against the stony ground from the force, though that translated into little real damage to her undead frame.

Joe was already on the other beast as soon as Anna had stepped in. As the enemy stumbled back from the slash of her weapon, he moved in and struck low, the keen edge of his sword slicing through the monster’s leg at the knee. Roaring in pain, the giant vampire toppled to its side. Blood gushed from the wound to create a macabre pool. Joe wasted no time bringing his blade down on the attacker’s neck.

The Caitiff was on the move again before his enemy’s head hit dirt. Seeing the demonic form, hulking over Anna, he strode deliberately forward. He could tell something was wrong with her but would not be ruled by the battle. His strikes would be chosen by him alone. And chosen carefully.

The behemoth slammed down again on Anna, totally distracted in its work. It did not see the much smaller, much older, much more experienced vampire approaching from behind. It would soon find a deadly blade sticking from its chest.

Or it would have, had it not been for another of the neophytes.

As Joe was about to plunge his weapon into the back of the huge vampire, he was force to alter the strike into an impromptu parry. He blocked the neophytes blade and swept its legs out from under it.

“<For God’s sake,>” he swore in German. In the chaos of the battle his mind was once again flashing back to other times.

A second later he was swearing even harder. The remaining giant had flung one of its ham fists back. Joe tried to block but to no avail. It was a mouse blocking the foot of an elephant. He was now flying into a group of on-lookers.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

There was silence in the attack, no roar, no growl. There was only a black blur of speed and talons tearing through the backs of the giant attacking Anna's knees. Vitae and shredded cartiledge fell away in a swoosh of motion as Jack landed to the giant's left.

He was smiling, it was a feral grin. He was enjoying the attack, the thick sweet smell of vitae in the air. The beast was rising in his breast but he fought it down as the giant roared more in surprise than pain. It whipped around at its waist with surprising speed and agility and lashed out with one hand.

Jack roared with joy as he caught fist and twisted the arm savagely, hearing the snapping of tendons. He smile at the giant.

"Nice grip you got there handsome."

Jack forgot the giant had two hands and the second one closed around his shoulder and drove him into the ground with a bone jarring impact.

Jack groaned and tore at the hand with one taloned hand while whipping the other one forward tearing the gaint's throat open as it lunged forwrad to bite him. The giant grunted and released Jack who quickly kipped up and stood in a more defensive stance as the mauled giant eyed the little man with respect.

"Let's try that again, shall we?" Jack said rolling his head and shoulders.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Anna slowly dragged herself from the "battlefield". She watched helplessly as Joe and Jack stood off against the behemoth. Alec was suddenly at her side. "Are you alright, my love?" he asked.

"I will be," she said with a wince as she tried to sit up against a wall. "Go help the others. I don't think anyone will bother me." She looked around, daring anyone to approach as she projected her Majesty.