In the spirit of the Near Death Threads

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

In the spirit of the Near Death Threads

Post by Gandalf »

Last Friday night, I was at Timezone (A games aracde), and was playing a racing game, anyway, a few laps in, I have a seizure, I dodn't know it, all I thought was that I was falling asleep.
While I was unconscious, my friends who were with me all sprang into action (We'd done a First Aid course last year).
When I came to, I was in an ambulance, strapped down, so I couldnt move, so after the basic things like where am I, and the such, they explain I had a seizure and the such.
I spent 4 hours at Westmead Hospital, mantakai (as you would know him) waited with me for several hours, then left to look after my sister.
So now I can't drive for at least 3 months and am to avoid video games ( :x ), and on Wednesday I am to see a neurologist.
As a note, I know this isn't a near death experience, but it's a little story I felt like posting.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
mantakai
Padawan Learner

Post by mantakai »

well he almost gave me a heart attack so is that close enough :P

nah, gandalf freaked me out as i have been friends with him for years and never heard of any reason for him to have a seizure, but luckily all is good now so :D
"normal is not something to apire to, its something to get away from"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Do I see a pattern here?

Post by Batman »

Hmm. Not only are these things becoming more frequent, they always happen to the longtimers. The health hazards seem to be proportional to your post count. I think I shall keep my posting frequency where it is now...
Glad you're OK, Gandalf.
Well done, mantakai.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Do I see a pattern here?

Post by Gandalf »

Batman wrote:Hmm. Not only are these things becoming more frequent, they always happen to the longtimers. The health hazards seem to be proportional to your post count. I think I shall keep my posting frequency where it is now...
Glad you're OK, Gandalf.
Well done, mantakai.
By longtimers I take it you mean longtime gamers? :shock:

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Gandalf wrote: snip
No, I mean longtime posters. If it's longtime gamers I'm as good as dead...
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Batman wrote:
Gandalf wrote: snip
No, I mean longtime posters. If it's longtime gamers I'm as good as dead...
Phew, thought I was a dead man there, I've been playing games since I was like 4.

- George Carlin
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I had a similar experience once. I was playing a light-gun game at an arcade (the only games I usually play these days, if at all). It was one of those stupid old ones what was 2D and dark (Area 51, IIRC). Of course, the way light gun games work is by flashing a burst of white light when you pull the trigger. Additionally, I was playing with a friend, so we were both shooting at the same time. Naturally, the way to go in these games is to fire quick bursts, reload, then fire quick bursts again.

Dark screen + numerous rapid flashes of white light = bad things

Most games I can play for hours on end, no problems whatsoever. That night, as I remember it happening, I started to get really tired for no reason. I could barely hold the lightweight plastic gun in my hands, and I was having trouble standing up straight. I tried to shake it off, but I couldn't. Finally, I put the gun down and walked away, offering my credit to anyone who wanted it. For the rest of the night, bright lights irritated me, which was really annoying since it was night time and I was walking around with dark glasses on, like an idiot.

In retrospect, that was most likely some sort of minor epileptic attack. It was the first one that I had ever experienced, and for a time I swore off light gun games. Since then, I've been able to play some of the newer ones (like Time Crisis) without any problems at all, and I've not had any sort of similar attacks since, thank goodness.

Sorry to hear that you had such a nasty attack, Gandalf. Hopefully it's not a recurring thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

Gandalf wrote:Phew, thought I was a dead man there, I've been playing games since I was like 4.
Argg! so have I!!
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Well, just be glad you had it on a practice run, instead of on the streets where you could of gotten hurt :?
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

WTF IS GOING ON WITH EVERYONE ALMOST DYING!!!

I am starting to get a bit freaked out here. I feel like I'm in a B-movie or something....
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

I doubt this is just bad luck that members of our board are just happening to be nearly killed. Whose doing it?

Trekkies? Fundies? Idiots in general? This board has pissed off so many...
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Well, in all honesty, I reckon that we can actually be close to death on many occasions without actually getting hurt, but never really stop to think about it, the illnesses and such like are far more terrifying and dangerous, but happen less frequently than the other kind.

E.g. Today, we were scrambling round loose industrial hillsides looking for water samples, am attempting to climb a very steep and very loose patch of scree and debris, rock underneath my foot slips, triggers small rock fall (by small, I mean really small, like about a dozen small boulders), nearly burying my foot and causing me to lose balance, now, if I had put more weight on that foot, then I would have probably fallen, and given the steepness of the slope, would most likely have done something nasty to my head on the sharp rocks below, or at the least have gotten severely scraped and battered (and wet).

E.g. II, a few years ago, me and my dad were involved in a small canooing accident, nothing broken, but a few inches either side and my dad could have battered his head on the rocks around us

And from all these various events, where afterwards I have generally thought - we were bloody lucky to get out of that without major injury - I have come to the conclusion that if we actually sat down and started thinking about the amount of near-death experiences we've all had, we would have a long list and would probably be gibbering in the corner somewhere.

So, what have I concluded from this? I am immortal until otherwise proven... :)
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Zaia wrote:WTF IS GOING ON WITH EVERYONE ALMOST DYING!!!

I am starting to get a bit freaked out here. I feel like I'm in a B-movie or something....
3081 posts as of now. Be careful, dear.
We wouldn't want something happening to you :(
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Batman wrote:
Zaia wrote:WTF IS GOING ON WITH EVERYONE ALMOST DYING!!!

3081 posts as of now. Be careful, dear.
We wouldn't want something happening to you :(

Well, if we're going with the post-count idea, I have roughly twice as many posts as Gandalf, which means whatever happens to me should be twice as bad as what ha--*collapses into a heap on the floor*

:P
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

*Looks at Zaia*

Oh my god!

This is obviously the work of...the Illuminati!
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Zaia wrote:
Well, if we're going with the post-count idea, I have roughly twice as many posts as Gandalf, which means whatever happens to me should be twice as bad as what ha--*collapses into a heap on the floor*

:P
Right, go ahead, scare me silly just for giggles. But don't complain when some day I find you battered and bleeding in a backalley somewhere and all I do is go 'Very funny Zaia. The bruises look really convincing' and leave.

Yes, I could do that. I'm mean.

No really, I could.

Honestly.

You don't think you're fooling anybody, are you Master Bruce?

*sigh*

EDITed for typo elimination
Last edited by Batman on 2003-05-12 04:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Wow, I'm honoured, 3rd impact, fame at last... the only problem is that the burden of proof lies with me... ho-hum...

*sets off to find yet another big cliff with sharp rocks at the bottom*
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

The_Lumberjack wrote:Wow, I'm honoured, 3rd impact, fame at last... the only problem is that the burden of proof lies with me... ho-hum...

*sets off to find yet another big cliff with sharp rocks at the bottom*
I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Batman wrote:Right, go ahead, scare me silly just for giggles. But don't complain when some day I find you battered and bleeding in a backalley somewhere and all I do is go 'Very funny Zaia. The bruises look really convincing' and leave.
You wouldn't.

Yes, I could do that. I'm mean.
No you're not. You couldn't do that to me.
No really, I could.
.....Oh? Honestly?
Honestly.
*ponders thoughtfully*
You don't think you're fooling anybody, are you Master Bruce?
Thank you, Alfred.
*sigh*
Oh, come on. Having a heart isn't that bad, is it? *kisses cheek* :wink:
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Zaia wrote: Oh, come on. Having a heart isn't that bad, is it? *kisses cheek* :wink:
*smiles dreamily*

Ahem. You ARE aware that Mistress Kyle monitors those boards, Master Bruce?

*sound of cat-o'-nine-tails is heard in background*

Uh-oh.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Batman wrote:*smiles dreamily*

Uh-oh.

Mistress Kyle?! ...Errr.....ok. (Kyle?)

Ahhh, the cat-o'-nine tails is my weapon of choice as well. Exxxcellent. :twisted:
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

That's it, I'm moving to my bunker. :)

- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Zaia wrote:
Batman wrote:*smiles dreamily*

Uh-oh.

Mistress Kyle?! ...Errr.....ok. (Kyle?)
Erm-as in Selina Kyle? AKA Catwoman?
*does a quick google search to check if he got the name wrong because he actually hasn't read the comic in ages*
No, that's right.
Ahhh, the cat-o'-nine tails is my weapon of choice as well. Exxxcellent. :twisted:
Uh-oh.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

By Batman's logic, I'm dead.
JADAFETWA