Shaving

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

BoredShirtless
BANNED

Shaving

Post by BoredShirtless »

For those guys who need to shave everyday, have you mastered this fucking pain in the arse? If you have, what's your secret? Electric or blade? Before or after shower?
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Blade, in the shower with fog free mirror
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Why does my fog free mirror fog up now?
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

The coating wears off over time..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

I use a Gillette Mach3. The only "trick" I find is to keep your blade clean and new. With a new blade I do it with just water and nothing else. It hurts a bit, but nothing I can't deal with. If I let it grow a little, a bit of shaving cream makes it feel like nothing at all.

I'm considering getting one of those battery powered submergible shavers for use in the shower, they kinda look nifty. I might as well put the time I waste sitting in the shower to good use.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

When I'm at home, during the shower, usually w/o a mirror and with a bit of caution, when I'm at uni, when ever I get round to shaving... *rubs chin* hmm, that might be in about 5 mins actually...

Electric razors have never worked for me, they never give me the smooth feeling, wet shaves tend to be a lot more effective (now, if only I had someone to appreciate the smoothness, *sob* ;) ), and I only cut myself very rarely these days... however, I do tend to bleed for 3 hours when I do slip. :mrgreen:
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Im not very good at shaving, I dont get a close clean shave like others. I think it is related to my skin or beard. I think as you get older it must toughen up or something. I remember being able to shave with cold water when I was 19. If I tried that now, it would not even cut the hair.

Electrics seem to irritate my skin for some reason and leave a little rash, so I use a Gilette Mach 3.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
GonK
Youngling

Post by GonK »

[quote="The_Lumberjack"] when I'm at uni, when ever I get round to shaving... *rubs chin* hmm, that might be in about 5 mins actually...
quote]

It's that I NEED A SHAVE FEELING...

I only tend to shave when you can't tell the difference between the stubble and the goatee. I tend to use an electric beard trimmer to hack off most of the stubble then have a shower then have a wet shave. I find that having a hot shower help's to soften the stubble so I don't cut myself as often. Mind you when I do cut myself it's almost always in the same place, nice lines parallel to my sideburns.
"That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen, including the topless blond out at the swimming pool this morning. But, like the topless blond, some stupid things are fun to stare at." Raoul Duke, Jr.
<---And if you EVER see that face wandering roung Edinburgh with a bottle of Jack Daniels then I advise you to run. Or you could come over and buy me more Jack Daniels.
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Norelco electric BEFORE shower. Every other day.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

What is this "shave" you speak of?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
GonK
Youngling

Post by GonK »

Dalton wrote:What is this "shave" you speak of?
Normally I'd agree with you there but I'm going to have to start shaving every day when I start work

D'oh :banghead:
"That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen, including the topless blond out at the swimming pool this morning. But, like the topless blond, some stupid things are fun to stare at." Raoul Duke, Jr.
<---And if you EVER see that face wandering roung Edinburgh with a bottle of Jack Daniels then I advise you to run. Or you could come over and buy me more Jack Daniels.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I shave with an electric razor about once every 1-2 (sometimes 3) weeks. I first use the pop-up clippers to shave it all, then go over it with the actual roters.

The entire operation doesn't really bother me. What bothers me more is when I don't shave for a very long time, because those semi-long whiskers start to get bitchingly irritating. :roll:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I stopped shaving for a month, to see what I would look like with a beard, was hoping for either an Aragorn-esque or a Gandalf-esque beard, but was reliably informed by my mate that I looked like a Spanish terrorist. After a week of being kept awake by the beard rubbing against the quilt, I gave up, shaved it off, and was then told that I suited it... curse those mates of mine...
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Never get started on electric razors

They are a bitch to clean, get dull fast, and don't give you the closeness and comfort of your average razor

Get a Mach3 :)
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Heh, I probably haven't cleaned mine for almost a year. :)

But that's because I use the clippers first before the razors. It virtually eliminates the ammount of trimmings that get inside. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Dalton wrote:What is this "shave" you speak of?
This thing my work colleagues do every morning. Take a sharp object, like a blade, and scrap it over your nut sack.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Bic disposables.
All those expensive 'lady shave' pieces of shit are a waste of money and don't work.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I use both a Mach 3 and an electric. Allow me to explain:

Mach 3 is good for shaving against the grain and removing all those annoying little stubs- it's also just fine for going with the grain too. Electric just isn't as close. That's fact.

HOWEVER

I have the annoying tendency to cut myself in the same places AGAIN and AGAIN. So I avoid those places with the Mach 3 and use the electric. I don't understand how I keep cutting myself. If I shave against the grain in a certain area, I just get cut. I don't know why.

As for minimizing the pain

1: if you're using a conventional, PUT SOAP all over your face while you're in the shower. This will soften the hair.

2: Once you get out of the shower, CLEAN IT OFF WITH HOT WATER. This will stimulate the hair to rise.

You'll shave *much* easier.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Vympel wrote:I use both a Mach 3 and an electric. Allow me to explain:

Mach 3 is good for shaving against the grain and removing all those annoying little stubs- it's also just fine for going with the grain too. Electric just isn't as close. That's fact.

HOWEVER

I have the annoying tendency to cut myself in the same places AGAIN and AGAIN. So I avoid those places with the Mach 3 and use the electric. I don't understand how I keep cutting myself. If I shave against the grain in a certain area, I just get cut. I don't know why.

As for minimizing the pain

1: if you're using a conventional, PUT SOAP all over your face while you're in the shower. This will soften the hair.

2: Once you get out of the shower, CLEAN IT OFF WITH HOT WATER. This will stimulate the hair to rise.

You'll shave *much* easier.
You shave everyday? Your advice goes against current Internet wisdom on shaving. Apparently it takes a week or more for your face to properly adjust to either an electric or blade...
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Zoink wrote:With a new blade I do it with just water and nothing else.
Ok, mutants with cool regenerative powers please don't add advice.
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

verilon wrote:Norelco electric BEFORE shower. Every other day.
Why before?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

BoredShirtless wrote:
You shave everyday?
Certainly not. Only when I'm going out-out (gym doesn't count).
Your advice goes against current Internet wisdom on shaving. Apparently it takes a week or more for your face to properly adjust to either an electric or blade...
Maybe so, but I can't stop cutting myself, don't understand why, so I just have to mix and match (it's majority Mach 3, with electric getting the cut-zones).
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

BoredShirtless wrote:
Why before?
Because if you use an electric razor *after* a shower, it will pull up the skin and cause *really nasty* razorburn.. And yes, it hurts. A lot.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

verilon wrote:
Because if you use an electric razor *after* a shower, it will pull up the skin and cause *really nasty* razorburn.. And yes, it hurts. A lot.
He's right you know. Listen to this man.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

verilon wrote:
BoredShirtless wrote:
Why before?
I hope you moisturise properly and use a good cream, ver, else, you'll look 40 when you're 25.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling