PVPOnline's Matrix strip (5/14/03)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Ted C
Sith Marauder

PVPOnline's Matrix strip (5/14/03)

Post by Ted C »

http://www.pvponline.com/

Brent seems to have a mindset common to radical Trekkies and Fivers; he believes that just because Neo has some ability to reprogram the Matrix, that his powers are unlimited. In reality, he must still be limited by what the hardware, the operating system, and his own brain will allow.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

That's actually one of my complaints as well. One of the things that impressed me at the end of the first Matrix was that Neo wasn't using Kung-fu to fight Agent Smith, and in the end it wasn't Kung-fu that killed him. While the "mere mortals" had to use Kung-fu as a type of crutch, after Neo became the One, he threw the crutch away and simply stopped the bullets cause he wanted to, and blew up the Agent cause he wanted to. Of course, if we had that, there wouldn't be those cool fight scenes.

This, of course, begs the question on how is he going to kill Agents with Kung-fu? Their physical bodies may be destroyerd, but they can just re-incarnate. Kung-fu against agents is just stupid.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

I'm pretty sure they are going to state a reasoning behind it... Which will prob seem very caked on but all well.

One I've been thinking of is that basicaly Neo is trying to accomplish goals in the matrix while the Agents are trying to capture him (Since neither is able to kill the other now).
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

My guess is that they'll simply say that while Neo has substantial power in the Matrix, it's not unlimited. He can be stronger and faster than any Agent, defy some of the Matrix's physical laws, and take hits that no human should, but that doesn't mean he can be in two places at once, resurrect other humans, or arbitrarily switch off the entire system.

I won't be surprised if he spends a lot of his time in The Matrix Reloaded figuring just what he can and can't do.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Shouldn't there also be a limit due to the physical nature of it. It is a computer hooked up to his brain. Because of that, there should be a limit on how much he can do or how fast he can do it.

So while he may be faster, if there are enough enemies, he may not be able to mentally process them all at the same time.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

neoolong wrote:Shouldn't there also be a limit due to the physical nature of it. It is a computer hooked up to his brain. Because of that, there should be a limit on how much he can do or how fast he can do it.

So while he may be faster, if there are enough enemies, he may not be able to mentally process them all at the same time.
Indeed, the bandwidth over his connection to the Matrix would inevitably limit the speed at which he could interact with the system.

If hardware plays into the superhuman abilities of the Agents and human "rebels". They might derive their superior strength and speed to some extent from higher-bandwidth connections than their "slave" counterparts.

For example, if a "normal" person in the Matrix has a 100mbps connection to the system and a "rebel" has a 200mbps connection, then the rebel should be able to react, move, and expend energy twice as fast. I don't know if there would be an explanation for why Neo could be even faster and stronger than anyone else, though.

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

So the agents are LPBs. Damn it, I knew it was the lag. :D
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

*Agent summon's 1000 clones into one place at one time....*

*How come everything is moving like a Chow Yun Fat movie"
"Server Lag"

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Sindai
Youngling

Post by Sindai »

It's true! Just check out these super-secret Matrix admin server logs!
*Agent_Smith's ping has exceeded 400 ms for 1 time(s)
*Agent_Smith's ping has exceeded 400 ms for 2 time(s)
*Agent_Smith's ping has exceeded 400 ms for 3 time(s)
*Agent_Smith's ping has exceeded 400 ms for 4 time(s)
*Agent_Smith has been kicked for excessive lag.
<teH_0n3> rofl biatch
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Shit why try and stop Neo, just flood the work with agents and initiate a DOS attack?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

This is the first time I've ever seen a debate about bandwidth rates in the Matrix.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Hobot
Jedi Knight

Post by Hobot »

I had a very similar debate with a friend today about Neo's power. I argued that Neo can't have unlimited power because otherwise there would be no point in his fighting the agents. My friend's response was that it wouldn't be enertaining in that case, so he just fights in the name of a good story. Personally, I don't like that explanation. I don't think the Wachowski (sp?) brothers would be so stupid as to shoot themselves in the foot like that. They're trying to make their story "deep" aren't they? I would hope they'd realize that giving Neo unlimited power would totally screw up the story for anyone paying attention...
GonK
Youngling

Post by GonK »

I think that they have some better reason for Neo fighting than
"It look's cool"

Personnally I like the idea of Agent Smith spawning multiple copies of himself into the Matrix to eat up Neo's bandwidth and thus limit his powers...
"That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen, including the topless blond out at the swimming pool this morning. But, like the topless blond, some stupid things are fun to stare at." Raoul Duke, Jr.
<---And if you EVER see that face wandering roung Edinburgh with a bottle of Jack Daniels then I advise you to run. Or you could come over and buy me more Jack Daniels.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Isn't the whole point about power in The Matrix not a matter of "bandwith" but a matter of doing things that are supposed to be impossible. Supposedly in the Matrix, EVERYBODY can leap tall buildings in a single bound. However, most people never actually try it.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Cyborg Stan
Jedi Knight

Evil Soup!

Post by Cyborg Stan »

Ted C wrote:I don't know if there would be an explanation for why Neo could be even faster and stronger than anyone else, though.
I suppose one thought I've been playing around with for about the last two minutes is that Neo's genes allows for some kind of 'backdoor password' for robotic AIs and their products. Suppose for instance that one of the oringinal designers for the AIs put in such a mechanism in to exert some control over them, but died before the Human/AI wars. A descendant, or a clone of that person might still have access/power to this.

It does seem he might have some control/usage of the AI systems themselves, now that I think about it. Matrix time does seem to correspond to real time as far as I can tell. However, given the time he dodged bullets, it seemed his perceptions slowed way down from usual, while Trinity's didn't. This would probably mean that his mind was working way faster than normal - I'd hazard a guess and say faster than his own brain can work.

Well, I haven't really thought this one too much, so feel free to shred it.
ASVS Vets Assoc, Class of 1999

Geh Ick Bleah

Avatar is an image of Yuyuko Saigyouji from the Touhou Series.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yogi wrote:Isn't the whole point about power in The Matrix not a matter of "bandwith" but a matter of doing things that are supposed to be impossible. Supposedly in the Matrix, EVERYBODY can leap tall buildings in a single bound. However, most people never actually try it.
Everyone has the capacity to do it. But first they need to understand that its possible. Then they have to BELIEVE that its doable. Then they have to do it themselves. Even Neo fell, despite seeing Morpheus jump and receiving the pep-talk. So if someone does it in the Matrix and falls, then they are just written off as another "suicide".
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: Evil Soup!

Post by weemadando »

Cyborg Stan wrote: I suppose one thought I've been playing around with for about the last two minutes is that Neo's genes allows for some kind of 'backdoor password' for robotic AIs and their products. Suppose for instance that one of the oringinal designers for the AIs put in such a mechanism in to exert some control over them, but died before the Human/AI wars. A descendant, or a clone of that person might still have access/power to this.

It does seem he might have some control/usage of the AI systems themselves, now that I think about it. Matrix time does seem to correspond to real time as far as I can tell. However, given the time he dodged bullets, it seemed his perceptions slowed way down from usual, while Trinity's didn't. This would probably mean that his mind was working way faster than normal - I'd hazard a guess and say faster than his own brain can work.

Well, I haven't really thought this one too much, so feel free to shred it.
Well, Neo has been "implanted" from birth... Also, notice that only the most extraordinary hackers get pulled from the Matrix? Perhaps in their head they are just rewriting their personal *.cfg within the Matrix as they go...

set "weight" = 0.5kg
set "max velocity" = 100ms
set "muscle conditioning" = 99.4%

aaaand Juuuuuump and floooooooat and...

set "weight" = 70kg

...land *thud*

It might be that simple.
Cyborg Stan
Jedi Knight

Post by Cyborg Stan »

Thought about that. Even if he did have some kind of built-in ability to access the Matrix better, he'd still would need to learn how to use it, or rather learn that it was there.

As for the pulling only extraordinary hackers part, I believe they stated that usually they try to pull them out when they're very young, so I believe it would be a matter of training, or perhaps a simple upload away.
ASVS Vets Assoc, Class of 1999

Geh Ick Bleah

Avatar is an image of Yuyuko Saigyouji from the Touhou Series.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Their skins must be kept separately or else all the 1337 hackers would have skins looking like extremely beautiful people, or anime characters, or other funky stuff.