Japanese War Guilt Debate

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

My problem is with the elitist otakus and fanboys who believes anybody who doesn't understands or likes the show is an inferior person.:evil:

Back to the subject of GotF, I refuse to watch it until the day the Japanese people fully acknowledges the shit they pulled before and during WWII.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Rubberanvil wrote:Back to the subject of GotF, I refuse to watch it until the day the Japanese people fully acknowledges the shit they pulled before and during WWII.
Some people may argue whether or not you have a point there. I haven't seen it myself, didn't even know what it was about 'til this thread. I did notice a slight whitewashing of history in Godzilla vs King Ghidora, though. And a model of the Yamato was used as an American ship! :lol:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Rubberanvil wrote: Back to the subject of GotF, I refuse to watch it until the day the Japanese people fully acknowledges the shit they pulled before and during WWII.
While I acknowledge that the Japanese as a society have yet to properly deal with their wartime history, much the same could be said for any number of nations the US included. We have a number of shameful incidents sprinkled throughout our history that rival any of the atrocities committed by Japan during the war. This does not absolve them, nor us, of our lapse, but I don't think you should condem a truly important work of cinema just out of spite for the land that created it. GotF has a powerful message in it, one more people need to see and understand so that we don't keep repeating thoes self same 'shameful incidents' that bring about so much pain and suffering for our fellow men.

*stepsoffsoapbox*
BotM
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Sokar wrote: While I acknowledge that the Japanese as a society have yet to properly deal with their wartime history, much the same could be said for any number of nations the US included. We have a number of shameful incidents sprinkled throughout our history that rival any of the atrocities committed by Japan during the war.
The difference between Japan and the USA is the American people and Government already acknowledges just about every atrocity done by Americans have done. What atrocity have the United States have done which could possibly rival what the Japanese have done? Sure Americans have massacre people in the hundreds and in a couple of cases thousands. But tens of thousands killed in a short amount of time like say a month at most, I don't think America has done that, not counting bombing missions are they're debatable.
GotF has a powerful message in it, one more people need to see and understand so that we don't keep repeating thoes self same 'shameful incidents' that bring about so much pain and suffering for our fellow men.
The messege a lot people see is the Americans are the bad guys who like to kill poor defenseless innocent Japanese people, not the messege Miyazaki intended.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Rubberanvil wrote:
Sokar wrote: While I acknowledge that the Japanese as a society have yet to properly deal with their wartime history, much the same could be said for any number of nations the US included. We have a number of shameful incidents sprinkled throughout our history that rival any of the atrocities committed by Japan during the war.
The difference between Japan and the USA is the American people and Government already acknowledges just about every atrocity done by Americans have done. What atrocity have the United States have done which could possibly rival what the Japanese have done? Sure Americans have massacre people in the hundreds and in a couple of cases thousands. But tens of thousands killed in a short amount of time like say a month at most, I don't think America has done that, not counting bombing missions are they're debatable.
By the same token, they naver nuked a city.

But that doesn't excuse the Rape of Nanking, but the RoN doesn't excuse the atrocities the US has comitted over time to damn near everybody who was not them, or of similar appearance. After all, the Japanese eventually left Nanking...
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

SAMAS wrote: By the same token, they naver nuked a city.

But that doesn't excuse the Rape of Nanking, but the RoN doesn't excuse the atrocities the US has comitted over time to damn near everybody who was not them, or of similar appearance. After all, the Japanese eventually left Nanking...
Hey cool, another goddamn japanaese apologist, on top of his crimes
of being a mecha fanwhore...

Why don't you take a hint: Shut the Fuck Up, before you drown us all
with your bullshit.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

For once and interesting debate that sprang forth from a Shep created thread, hijacked by someone OTHER than Shep....will wonders never cease. :D
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

MKSheppard wrote: Hey cool, another goddamn japanaese apologist, on top of his crimes

with your bullshit.
You're being quite a biscuitbutt over nothing, man

I'd like to know how he's an apologist
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Frank Hipper wrote: I did notice a slight whitewashing of history in Godzilla vs King Ghidora, though. And a model of the Yamato was used as an American ship! :lol:
Yep! I noticed it too. The idea of evil Invaders in nothing new to Japanese cinema and Godzilla movies in particular. IMO they have always been a metaphor for all forces that have invaded japan in the past. That time, it was much more blatantly pointed at america.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

SAMAS wrote:By the same token, they naver nuked a city.
You do know the US saved lives by leveling those 2 cities?

If you cant figure that out, then you really really are fucking dumb.
After all, the Japanese eventually left Nanking...
And the Soviets eventually stopped their internal purges which killed more people then Hitler ever could.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Hamel wrote:
MKSheppard wrote: Hey cool, another goddamn japanaese apologist, on top of his crimes

with your bullshit.
You're being quite a biscuitbutt over nothing, man

I'd like to know how he's an apologist
That's why I call him a Dumbass. Because everytime his hole opens up, out comes some dumb shit.

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SAMAS wrote:
Yes, the Japanese would prefer the "kill or wound three million in a month" alternative. The Japanese never had nukes, but you can be sure they'd use them if they. Imperial Japan however did have biological weapons and used them heavily against the Chinese.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
SAMAS wrote:
Yes, the Japanese would prefer the "kill or wound three million in a month" alternative. The Japanese never had nukes, but you can be sure they'd use them if they. Imperial Japan however did have biological weapons and used them heavily against the Chinese.
IIRC Truman had second thoughts about the necessity of using the bomb after it was dropped, and the casuality figures were revised waaaay down
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Hamel wrote:
IIRC Truman had second thoughts about the necessity of using the bomb after it was dropped, and the casuality figures were revised waaaay down
Actually estimates for the losses went up considerably, post war examinations of Japanese records found that the US greatly underestimated the IJA's strength, by several hundreds of thousands of men.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Hamel wrote:
Actually estimates for the losses went up considerably, post war examinations of Japanese records found that the US greatly underestimated the IJA's strength, by several hundreds of thousands of men.
Care to post these estimates? "omg that'd rox"
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

The Japanese were MONSTERS during WWII that really put them on par with the other axis powers. Of course, not saying every Japanese person was evil, just like not every Wermacht soldier was a Nazi. But their practices were almost similar.

While the Hitler targeted mainly Jews, Gypsies, and homosexuals.. the Japanese targeted everyone that was not Japanese. Koreans and Chinese were taken for weapons and science experiment. Being raped and killed indiscriminately on the streets.. being raped and killed in large systematic processes. It was incredibly brutal that people still in China and Korea have an intense hatred and mistrust for the Japanese.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

I don't doubt for a second that that Japanese military would've nuked the shit outta china if they had the bombs. Stuff like that happens when you combine Nationalism, Militarization, and Racism.

Not to mention the standard wartime practice of dehumanizing your enemy.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Hamel wrote:Care to post these estimates? "omg that'd rox"
I have Frank's Downfall at home, I'll comb through it for ya.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

SAMAS wrote:I don't doubt for a second that that Japanese military would've nuked the shit outta china if they had the bombs. Stuff like that happens when you combine Nationalism, Militarization, and Racism.

Not to mention the standard wartime practice of dehumanizing your enemy.
Thank goodness the USA managed to neuter this in WW2.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

This is one of those things i don't even want to understand.
They should be glad the Americans are still there. They have a lot of enemies. Particularly one large nuclear capable enemy with a bone to pick.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Rubberanvil wrote:My problem is with the elitist otakus and fanboys who believes anybody who doesn't understands or likes the show is an inferior person.:evil:

Back to the subject of GotF, I refuse to watch it until the day the Japanese people fully acknowledges the shit they pulled before and during WWII.
Enjoy your wait on a good sofa then, ain't gonna happen in my lifetime as it never occured in my grandfathers (even though he wasn't a POW in Burma, he did get shot in the lung, his only good lung at that).

The Japanese don't acknowledge the past like the Germans do who, rightfully so, are feeling a little irritated in the subject being brought up and having to apologise for mistakes they never made.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Moved to Politics.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Japan never apologized and never made any show of remorse for the war. It's perfectly fair to note that with regards to Japanese culture because unlike Germany (or the US) they've never apologized and make every effort to avoid even acknowleding the atrocities that they committed. That continues to affect their mindset today and it makes you wonder and even worry.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

NecronLord wrote:This is one of those things i don't even want to understand.
They should be glad the Americans are still there. They have a lot of enemies. Particularly one large nuclear capable enemy with a bone to pick.
That wasn't in reverence to anything we did to them. I was referring to the first, and last people we conquered.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

SAMAS wrote: That's why I call him a Dumbass. Because everytime his hole opens up, out comes some dumb shit.
:roll:

Speaks the guy who just vomited forth a mountain of garbage about
Japanese warcrimes and how the A-Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
was 100 times more evil than what the Japs did.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944