OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

This has GOT to violate the Geneva Conventions

Post by Yogi »

http://www.msnbc.com/news/914527.asp
Newsweek wrote:Psyop: The Love?s Not Mutual
The U.S. military is using Metallica and the ?Barney? theme song as instruments of coercion in Iraq

May 26 issue Your parents aren't the only ones who hate your music, some Iraqis hate it, too. U.S. military units have been breaking Saddam supporters with long sessions in which they're forced to listen to heavy-metal and children's songs. "Trust me, it works," says one U.S. operative.

THE IDEA, says Sgt. Mark Hadsell, is to break a subject's resistance by annoying that person with what some Iraqis would consider culturally offensive music. The songs that are being played include "Bodies" from the Vin Diesel "XXX" movie soundtrack and Metallica's "Enter Sandman." "These people haven't heard heavy metal before," he explains. "They can't take it." Few people could put up with the sledgehammer riffs of Metallica, and kiddie songs aren't that much easier, especially when selections include the "Sesame Street" theme and some of purple dinosaur Barney's crooning.
        -Adam Piore
That is just too cruel!
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Poor shits, we really should lighten up on them and just use electrical wires
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

WHAT?!? If they want hard, fast riffs from Metallica, put on Whiplash or something...
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Now the Barney song is OK, but the Metallicrap is just too much. There's inhumane, and there's inhumane.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Striderteen
Padawan Learner

Post by Striderteen »

Barney!!! Barney! Barney!
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Hmmm, wading into crowds with night-stick drawn beating down protestors while the men in back fire bean-bags at those trying to escape, or the annoying ass theme song of a fuzzy reptilian (???) extint creature.

I'll take my night-stick thank you very much.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

One horrible way to torture Iraqi "I love you you love me we`re a happy family...........no put the gun down AAAAAHHHH" BANG. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I knew it. Barney is a weapon of war.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Now the Barney song is OK, but the Metallicrap is just too much. There's inhumane, and there's inhumane.

JIHAAAAD!
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

neoolong wrote:I knew it. Barney is a weapon of war.
Was there any doubt?
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

This isn't new, after all, it was done during the invasion of Panama, when Noriega was holed up in the... Forgot the place he was... Damn! Anyway, that's just mean, very mean!
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Warspite wrote:This isn't new, after all, it was done during the invasion of Panama, when Noriega was holed up in the... Forgot the place he was... Damn! Anyway, that's just mean, very mean!
I don`t remember the name of the place but it was the vatican embassy.
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Warspite wrote:This isn't new, after all, it was done during the invasion of Panama, when Noriega was holed up in the... Forgot the place he was... Damn! Anyway, that's just mean, very mean!
Loud music is a common tactic with siege situations. The Feds tried it at Waco, but the Branch Davidians put there own speakers in the windows and proved that they had a sound system more then twice as powerful.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Fuck it, if they resist, bring on the Disturbed or the God smack and if all else fails, Britney Spears.

Fuck em if they can't take a joke.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

HemlockGrey wrote:

JIHAAAAD!
That's right, bite me, you Metallica-loving dogs!

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Durran Korr wrote:

JIHAAAAAD! L'Hetfield! L'Ulrich!
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Durran Korr wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:

JIHAAAAD!
:kill: Burn heathen!!!
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Knife wrote:and if all else fails, Britney Spears.
If I was an Iraqi, I'd take some nukes over Britney Spears music.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
UltraViolence83
Jedi Master

Post by UltraViolence83 »

I think that these situations are not isolated. I've heard reports of Slayer being played by US tanks in the first Gulf War to scare the Iraqis into surrendering, and when we marched in on Kosovo we blasted Slayer from our vehicles.

For those of you who don't know who Slayer are, they were formed roughly the same time as Metallica, and in my opinion are much heavier; they outplay old Metallica, and make the new Metallica seem like even bigger pussies. :twisted:
...This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old...ultraviolence.
Ingersoll
Youngling

Post by Ingersoll »

Speaking of big pussies using Britney Spears would be worse than nukes. Its just mean, man, its just mean.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
I'd have someone fire a burst from an AK-47 by each ear to destroy my hearing.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Wicked Pilot wrote:
I'd have someone fire a burst from an AK-47 by each ear to destroy my hearing.
You'd still have to watch her pathitic prancing and struting. She's a cute kid, but I have had just about as much as her as I can possibley stand.

:kill: Me or her, haven't decided yet.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Loud music is a common tactic with siege situations. The Feds tried it at Waco, but the Branch Davidians put there own speakers in the windows and proved that they had a sound system more then twice as powerful.
How cool would it have been if they'd played "Davidian" by MAchine Head...probably not chronologically correct, but it would've been sooo coool.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Knife wrote:and if all else fails, Britney Spears.
That's not funny. :x
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

depends if it's pre or post black...Pre-black would make people joyful and glad to be free ;)