Classical Music

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

"How long was Sherbert planning on making this damn symphony?!" - Homer Simpson. :D
I believe in the Holy Trinity: Bach the Father, Beethoven the Son and Brahms the Holy Ghost.
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Baron Scarpia wrote:"How long was Sherbert planning on making this damn symphony?!" - Homer Simpson. :D
Oh, no... :lol:
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Another good one: Bizet's "Carmen" Opera.
Pachalbel's "Canon in D"

Formerly verilon

Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

Mine would have to be J.S.Bach - WTC book 2. Simply mind blowing. I can listen to that 24/7 and still be brought to tears.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Uhm... guys? We forgot one.

Carl Orff, O Fortuna.

The whole fucking opera is fantastic, but that one song ALWAYS sends shivers down my spine.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

Queeb Salaron wrote:Uhm... guys? We forgot one.

Carl Orff, O Fortuna.

The whole fucking opera is fantastic, but that one song ALWAYS sends shivers down my spine.
I and others mentioned Carmina Burana, where "O Fortuna" is from. BTW, it's not an opera, it's a cantata.
I believe in the Holy Trinity: Bach the Father, Beethoven the Son and Brahms the Holy Ghost.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Baron Scarpia wrote:I and others mentioned Carmina Burana, where "O Fortuna" is from. BTW, it's not an opera, it's a cantata.
Really? ::Looks back over the thread::

Oh. heh. :oops: Missed that one.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Let's not forget Britten's War Requiem (even though it's from the 60's. 1960s that is.) which hopefully I'll be performing in next year.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Baron Scarpia wrote:
SyntaxVorlon wrote:
Saurencaerthai wrote: I was fishing for that title! It's really such a great tune. A friend loaned me a CD of different groups doing their own versions of it, including an organ version, a vocal version (Agnus Dei), and one by the Canadian Brass
Probably one of the best pieces of the romantic era.
BTW, Angus Dei was the arrangement Barber wrote. Mostly because he was milking a cash cow for all it was worth.

Oh and I forgot to mention Vaughn Williams' Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis.
Actually, the Barber Adagio is not from the Romantic Era, it was written in 1936. It was originally a movement in a string quartet, but it became so popular that he arranged it for an all-string orchestra. The Agnus Dei arrangement came later.
True, but it was still romantic, you can't call a work of art modern just because it was produced in that period. It was very Romantic, even if it was 40 years to late to be in that era.
Holst's Planets Suite was done in the late 'teens, but it was all very much romantic.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Baron Scarpia wrote: Orchestral work: Bach's Brandenburg Concertos are the only real contenders.
Brandenburg isn't really an orchestrial work.
Orchestral work: Mozart's Symphony No. 40
Ah, good one, yet I prefer 36 (for a personal reason)
Opera: Mozart's Don Giovanni
So hard to choose one, isn't there?
Personally, I prefer Die Zauberflotte. (Sorry for not having the umlaut)
Orchestral work: TIE Mahler's Symphony No. 5--The slow movement is jaw-droppingly beautiful.
Bravo. Mahler's 5th is my absolute favorite. The haunting trumpet solo at the beginning is just stunning.

BTW, well done with breaking it down. It's been a while since Music History, but I remember quite a bit of it. ;)
Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

SyntaxVorlon, true, pieces can be "Romantic" in nature and not from that era, but you did say "era." ;)
Kelly Antilles wrote:
Baron Scarpia wrote: Orchestral work: Bach's Brandenburg Concertos are the only real contenders.
Sure they are, albeit on a small scale. They employed a full ensemble of instruments, although there was usually only one player per instrument, except the strings. There did not exist full symphonies like in the classical and later eras, but these were indeed orchestra works, and were in fact referred to as "sinfonias."
Opera: Mozart's Don Giovanni
So hard to choose one, isn't there?
Personally, I prefer Die Zauberflotte. (Sorry for not having the umlaut)
Well, hard to choose among the big 4--Giovanni, Cosi, Nozze and Flute. Personally, while Flute has amazing music, the mysoginist plot really bores me, not to mention the philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

Cheers
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Baron Scarpia wrote: Well, hard to choose among the big 4--Giovanni, Cosi, Nozze and Flute. Personally, while Flute has amazing music, the mysoginist plot really bores me, not to mention the philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

Cheers
Well, it holds a special meaning to me. The rumors were true. It IS part of the Masonic ritual. My father was a mason. I helped him write a paper he presented to his chapter. I was so proud of that. *soft smile*
jenat-lai
Jedi Knight

Post by jenat-lai »

verilon wrote:
Baron Scarpia wrote:S'ok, we all do. If you'll permit me one more little correction, the "New World Symphony" is Dvorak's 9th, not 6th. ;)
Was it? Well, then, I though it was the 6th.. Oh, well.

Also, Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony" ~ I *really* liked playing this piece.
Well Your Both right! The 'Symphony from the New World' is mostly known as the 9th symphony, because it was the 9th symphony that Dvorak wrote... However because of his unusual numbering system (he sort of rejected the first 4 symphonies for personal reasons) some editions list it as symphony 6.

The more usual one where this happens is the 7th/4th symphony. I have played in orchestras where the trumpets and strings had 7th symphony written on the parts, and the trombones/timpani had 4th symphony written on the parts, and they were the same piece. Always end up having to explain to some confused trombonist or percussionist why they have the 4th symphony not the 7th and it's ok to play the 4th symphony part with the 7th cos its the same.
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

I really like the REAL version of Ava Maria. Bach, being Lutheran, would never have stood for those horrid lyrics!
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Baron Scarpia wrote:SyntaxVorlon, true, pieces can be "Romantic" in nature and not from that era, but you did say "era." ;)
Kelly Antilles wrote:
Sure they are, albeit on a small scale. They employed a full ensemble of instruments, although there was usually only one player per instrument, except the strings. There did not exist full symphonies like in the classical and later eras, but these were indeed orchestra works, and were in fact referred to as "sinfonias."
Chamber, not orchestral. ;) Rather, not *symphonic* orchestral. It's orchestral in one sense, not in another. But it is defined more as chamber music than anything. At least, from what I know...
Last edited by haas mark on 2003-05-19 04:30am, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly verilon

haas mark

Post by haas mark »

jenat-lai wrote:
verilon wrote:
Baron Scarpia wrote:S'ok, we all do. If you'll permit me one more little correction, the "New World Symphony" is Dvorak's 9th, not 6th. ;)
Was it? Well, then, I though it was the 6th.. Oh, well.

Also, Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony" ~ I *really* liked playing this piece.
Well Your Both right! The 'Symphony from the New World' is mostly known as the 9th symphony, because it was the 9th symphony that Dvorak wrote... However because of his unusual numbering system (he sort of rejected the first 4 symphonies for personal reasons) some editions list it as symphony 6.
Hmm.. the one time I played it (I play viola), it was listed as the 6th Symphony.. I don't recall if other parts had the 9th Symphony or not, though.

Formerly verilon

Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

verilon wrote:
Baron Scarpia wrote:SyntaxVorlon, true, pieces can be "Romantic" in nature and not from that era, but you did say "era." ;)
Kelly Antilles wrote: Brandenburg isn't really an orchestrial work.
Chamber, not orchestral. ;) Rather, not *symphonic* orchestral. It's orchestral in one sense, not in another. But it is defined more as chamber music than anything. At least, from what I know...
Ok, you're quibbling. :D I know they were chamber orchestras, but orchestras nonetheless. Symphonic-size orchestras did not exist yet, but chamber orchestras were the precursors, and it was exactly works like the Brandenburg Concertos that inspired later symphonies. So saying "orchestral work" is perfectly valid. :p
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Kelly Antilles wrote: Personally, I prefer Die Zauberflotte. (Sorry for not having the umlaut)
Well, currently you just said you'd like the Magical Fleet" :mrgreen:

It's the "Zauberflöte" :) (YOu always can emulate umlauts by adding an "e" after the basing vocal, i.e. "oe" instead of ö.

Personally I very much like Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Bach'S Brandenburg concerto's, and well, most of the other mentionings here. Except maybe Beethoven and Wagner. Too dark and depressing for my taste...
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

So are we considering Apocolyptica to be classical or is it Barouque or one of those other period thingies? (Or is it still rock even though it is played on cellos?)
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

My random listing of viola musics...

Halsey Stevens - Viola Concerto
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Laub und Regen
Igor Stravinsky - Septet; 3 Shakespeare Songs; Elegie for Solo Viola
Soulima Stravinsky - Viola Suite
Christopher Simpson - The Division Violist
Bartok - Concerto for Viola and Orchestra
Skalkottas - Concerto for Violin, Viola and Large Wind Orchestra
Smirnov - The Seasons; Farewell Song
Sohal - Shades IV
Souster - Spectral
Spies - Vipiacem
Karl Stamitz - Viola Sinfonie Conertanti
Staver - Viola Concerto
Steptoe - Sinfonia Concertante; Spieces
Swayne - Freewheeling, Tonos
Sculthorpe - Viola and Percussion Sonata
Searle - Quartet for Clarinet, Bassoon, Violin and Viola
Seiber - Elegy for Viola and Strings
Shuller - Viola Concerto; Trio for Oboe, Horn and Viola; Fantasy Quartet
Schumann - Märchenerzählungen
Schwertsik - Neyes von Eu-sirius

Naturally, being a viola player, I have a bunch of works for viola stashed away on a little scrap of paper.. :lol:

Formerly verilon

jenat-lai
Jedi Knight

Post by jenat-lai »

verilon wrote:My random listing of viola musics...

Halsey Stevens - Viola Concerto
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Laub und Regen
Igor Stravinsky - Septet; 3 Shakespeare Songs; Elegie for Solo Viola
Soulima Stravinsky - Viola Suite
Christopher Simpson - The Division Violist
Bartok - Concerto for Viola and Orchestra
Skalkottas - Concerto for Violin, Viola and Large Wind Orchestra
Smirnov - The Seasons; Farewell Song
Sohal - Shades IV
Souster - Spectral
Spies - Vipiacem
Karl Stamitz - Viola Sinfonie Conertanti
Staver - Viola Concerto
Steptoe - Sinfonia Concertante; Spieces
Swayne - Freewheeling, Tonos
Sculthorpe - Viola and Percussion Sonata
Searle - Quartet for Clarinet, Bassoon, Violin and Viola
Seiber - Elegy for Viola and Strings
Shuller - Viola Concerto; Trio for Oboe, Horn and Viola; Fantasy Quartet
Schumann - Märchenerzählungen
Schwertsik - Neyes von Eu-sirius

Naturally, being a viola player, I have a bunch of works for viola stashed away on a little scrap of paper.. :lol:
A viola player who knows of Sculthorpe... hmm...

Some nice pickings there, particularly Halsey Stevens and Bartok... Shuller too, thats a pretty nice Viola Concerto, Quite unusual in many respects but very nice nevertheless :)
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

jenat-lai wrote:A viola player who knows of Sculthorpe... hmm...
Err....? Meaning..? Sculthorpe = good music. Although this is not music I *have* (aside from the sheet music to the Soulima Stravinsky), I *plan* on getting the sheet music for it.
Some nice pickings there, particularly Halsey Stevens and Bartok... Shuller too, thats a pretty nice Viola Concerto, Quite unusual in many respects but very nice nevertheless :)
I am having the *evillest* time trying to get Bartok's Viola Concerto to download.. same with Stravinksy's "Elegie." Some of the others, I have yet to hear. But I am sure that most of it rocks. :) Err... as much as it can "rock," that is.. ;):P

Formerly verilon