Heaviest songs

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

beyond hope wrote:L7: "Shitlist" (also off the Natural Born Killers soundtrack.)
Easiest. Bass line. Ever.

I was the singer in a band and we covered that with a guest chick singer. I played bass. I DO NOT play bass, though. :D
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Boba Fett
Jedi Master

Post by Boba Fett »

Although not metal but quite heavy:

Them bones - Alice in Chains
Visit Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Member of BotM and HAB
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

beyond hope wrote:Nine Inch Nails: still one of my favorites despite how rarely Trent Reznor can be bothered with releasing an album. For sheer aggression the "Broken" EP is hard to beat. "Wish" and "Gave Up" are standouts for sheer volume and anger. Also try "Burn" (off the Natural Born Killers soundtrack, 'natch,) "March of the Pigs," and "Mr. Self Destruct" (both from The Downward Spiral.) Those are some of my favorites when I'm pissed off and feel like breaking something.
::Claps:: Good choices. Trent Reznor is a God.
A Perfect Circle: Judith: it's a good loud, angry song (although the only one on the album like that.
APC? Nah. Not hard enough. Judith is a good song, but it's just no Black (Sevendust) or Wait and Bleed (Slipknot).

Also, is it a coincedene that you mention Maynard James Keenan's band just after mentioning Trent? ;)
L7: "Shitlist" (also off the Natural Born Killers soundtrack.)
Hmm... Don't know this one.
Megadeth: "Crush 'Em"- a favorite of mine for headhunting in AVP 2
Not bad, but I like Cryptic Writings better.
Metallica: Say what you want (like "sellouts" or "assholes") but they've still got some good angry songs. Aside from the previously mentioned ones, "King Nothing" and "Ain't My Bitch" are favorites of mine when I'm in a foul mood.
How DARE you reference that album and call it good?!?! Go buy their Black album, Ride the Lightning, ...And Justice for All, Master of Puppets...... Hell, even Garage Inc. or S&M are better than Load!
Rage Against the Machine: Aside from the ones already mentioned, "Bulls on Parade" and "Sleep Now in the Fire."
I don't really like Rage for their heavy stuff. Bulls on Parade is classic, of course, but I like songs like Tom Jode that have a little bit more meaning to them.

And, for the record, Tom Morello is amazing.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

And reaching into the bag labeled "Songs my mother doesn't like", we have....

Soulfly - Back to the Primitive
Soulfly - Bumbklaatt

:)
「かかっ―」
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

If you're gonna go Soulfly, go with their cover of Fuck the Police. Good tune. :)

And BTW, Max Cavellera is a GOD.

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Queeb Salaron wrote:If you're gonna go Soulfly, go with their cover of Fuck the Police. Good tune. :)

Too true. But for heavy soulfly covers : SMOOOOOKE ON THE WATERRRRRRRRR!
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Queeb Salaron wrote:If you're gonna go Soulfly, go with their cover of Fuck the Police. Good tune. :)

Sepultura is so much better than soulfly
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

aphexmonster wrote:

Sepultura is so much better than soulfly
I agree with that, Max just gets everyone and his mother to play on his albums and when you see him it concert i just doesnt' sound the same
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

Oh and just to throw my two cents in heaviest songs i have ever heard

Messiah by Fear Factory- Holy Shit! I'm still not sure how in the hell they managed to that song all in one go. Fastest song ever

Divine by Korn- the end of this song really stands out

Jesus Christ posse by sound garden- Hey if you haven't heard this song go now.

Other honorable mentions

Refuse/resist by sepultura
Anything from living sacrifice
Blue skin by nothing face
wake up dead by megadeth
Last edited by thecreech on 2003-05-19 10:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

theheap wrote:Oh and just to throw my two cents in heaviest songs i have ever heard

Messiah by Fear Factory- Holy Shit! I'm still not sure how in the hell they managed to that song all in one go. Fastest song ever
Excellent song. Although fastest? I'm not sure..Cthulhu Dawn by cradle is faster i think, as is Haunted Hated by Superjoint Ritual (get these songs).
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer

Post by thecreech »

Rye wrote:
theheap wrote:Oh and just to throw my two cents in heaviest songs i have ever heard

Excellent song. Although fastest? I'm not sure..Cthulhu Dawn by cradle is faster i think, as is Haunted Hated by Superjoint Ritual (get these songs).
I'll check them out and get back to you 8)
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Divine by Korn- the end of this song really stands out

Jesus Christ posse by sound garden- Hey if you haven't heard this song go now.

Other honorable mentions

Refuse/resist by sepultura
Anything from living sacrifice
Blue skin by nothing face
wake up dead by megadeth

Shock is just as abusive as Messiah if you know your Fear factory. Shock is fucking heavy the entire way through. Clown is one of the heaviest songs on the first CD. Metal with fucking chromatic scales in drop B on a 7string is fucking insane :shock: Ball Tongue is also ultra hard for no particular reason at all as well.

... but seriously shock is crazy as fuck :!:
-monster
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Darth Pounder wrote: Agression is what heavy metal is about.
Metal is not about aggression. It is about aggression with style.

Unless you're talking about grindcore (the sort of noise produced by bands such as Crytopsy and Pig Destroyer).
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

aphexmonster wrote:Sepultura is so much better than soulfly
Agreed a thousandfold.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

theheap wrote:Messiah by Fear Factory- Holy Shit! I'm still not sure how in the hell they managed to that song all in one go. Fastest song ever
Funny story about Fear Factory. I was writing for a school newspaper when they came to town about five years ago, and the Editor told me to cover it (I had covered three concerts previously, and was the only person in the school's newspaper history to get concert reviews as featured articles. [/brag]). So like a good little doobie, I went out and bought the album before I went to the concert. I was listening to it, and I was liking it. I was fascinated with the drumlines, though. They were fast and hard and precise... Too good to be human, I thought. And, as a bunch of bands were using electric drums at the time, I figured that Fear Factory was just some kind of cybernetic industrial metal band. But that was cool; I liked that kind of thing.

Well, I get to the concert early to do an interview with a roadie that I was able to get in contact with, and I got to see their soundcheck. They were setting up their amps and mics and various effects manifolds on the stage, testing the pyrotechnics and gripping wires, and as I looked at the setup, something struck me as odd. There was no central processor, no turntables, no big clunky-looking beat machine at all. *Odd,* I thought to myself. *Maybe they put the machine backstage and had some lackey run it.*

Then the soundcheck started, and, as always, the first thing tested was the drum levels. Out comes FF's drummer, and he rips into this amazing drum pattern that I had recognized from their album. Both bass drums shook in what seemed like excruciating agony. Picture the sound of a fully-automatic cannon being fired at about 400 bpm.

Fucking blew my mind.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Queeb Salaron wrote:
>SNIP<
Fucking blew my mind.
Raymond Herrera is a drum god. Have you seen how thick his arms and legs are? Not just Muscular..but really THICK!

Best albums are obsolete and Demanufacture (listen to self bias resistor, omfg), concrete and soul of a new machine are too fucking heavy, sheer puke growling, crazily low riffs and melodic burton singing mixed in every now and again.

According to the Concrete album booklet thing, they were the first band to do it, and from there loads o bands copied em, like killswitch engage, korn, whoever.

Only trouble with Ray's drumming is that sometimes it can sound over produced if you know what i mean...like they are an electric drum machine, mainly on digimortal.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Queeb Salaron wrote:
theheap wrote:Messiah by Fear Factory- Holy Shit! I'm still not sure how in the hell they managed to that song all in one go. Fastest song ever
Funny story about Fear Factory. I was writing for a school newspaper when they came to town about five years ago, and the Editor told me to cover it (I had covered three concerts previously, and was the only person in the school's newspaper history to get concert reviews as featured articles. [/brag]). So like a good little doobie, I went out and bought the album before I went to the concert. I was listening to it, and I was liking it. I was fascinated with the drumlines, though. They were fast and hard and precise... Too good to be human, I thought. And, as a bunch of bands were using electric drums at the time, I figured that Fear Factory was just some kind of cybernetic industrial metal band. But that was cool; I liked that kind of thing.

Well, I get to the concert early to do an interview with a roadie that I was able to get in contact with, and I got to see their soundcheck. They were setting up their amps and mics and various effects manifolds on the stage, testing the pyrotechnics and gripping wires, and as I looked at the setup, something struck me as odd. There was no central processor, no turntables, no big clunky-looking beat machine at all. *Odd,* I thought to myself. *Maybe they put the machine backstage and had some lackey run it.*

Then the soundcheck started, and, as always, the first thing tested was the drum levels. Out comes FF's drummer, and he rips into this amazing drum pattern that I had recognized from their album. Both bass drums shook in what seemed like excruciating agony. Picture the sound of a fully-automatic cannon being fired at about 400 bpm.

Fucking blew my mind.
The drummer actually is playing the equivilant of electric drums, actually. He triggers each drum almost completely, so there's little or no microphone in the sound mix.

For those of you who don't know, triggers are a vibration-sensitive pickup that is attatched to the batter (playing side) of a drumhead. This goes back to an electric drum "brain" (sound module) and then to the speakers. Often this is used in metal to get a minimum lowest volume when playing and is often mixed in with microphone imputs, however, the FF drummer prefers the electric sound to the acoustic sound, so the acoustic drums are just there live for looks.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Drowning Pool are pretty heavy. I'm listening to Bodies and All Over Me is just finished. Damn i want to break something now.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Darth Pounder wrote:Drowning Pool are pretty heavy. I'm listening to Bodies and All Over Me is just finished. Damn i want to break something now.
Meh, to me, drowning pool just sound mediocre nu metal, nothing especially innovative or excuciatingly heavy.

Heaviest song of the day :- Superjoint Ritual - It Takes No Guts
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Rye wrote:Meh, to me, drowning pool just sound mediocre nu metal, nothing especially innovative or excuciatingly heavy.
Excuse me, but all talk about Drowning Pool must be put in the past tense. *snif*

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Queeb Salaron wrote:
Rye wrote:Meh, to me, drowning pool just sound mediocre nu metal, nothing especially innovative or excuciatingly heavy.
Excuse me, but all talk about Drowning Pool must be put in the past tense. *snif*
Oh yeh, he died randomly in the back of the tour bus didn't he....bizarre incident.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Saurencaerthai wrote:The drummer actually is playing the equivilant of electric drums, actually. He triggers each drum almost completely, so there's little or no microphone in the sound mix.

For those of you who don't know, triggers are a vibration-sensitive pickup that is attatched to the batter (playing side) of a drumhead. This goes back to an electric drum "brain" (sound module) and then to the speakers. Often this is used in metal to get a minimum lowest volume when playing and is often mixed in with microphone imputs, however, the FF drummer prefers the electric sound to the acoustic sound, so the acoustic drums are just there live for looks.
Oh yeah, I knew this. The point is that he was doing it all on his own. It wasn't a machine playing the music, just producing the sounds. Essentially it would still sound cool if he was playing without the pickups.

--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Queeb Salaron wrote:Oh yeah, I knew this. The point is that he was doing it all on his own. It wasn't a machine playing the music, just producing the sounds. Essentially it would still sound cool if he was playing without the pickups.
Definately. It's really amazing what these guys to do! Gotta give tha drummer some!
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Darth Pounder wrote:Drowning Pool are pretty heavy. I'm listening to Bodies and All Over Me is just finished. Damn i want to break something now.

Drowning pool are crap :D

momment of silence ................... :wink:
-monster
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

I've got some REALLY HEAVY stuff playing now.....

Nightwing by Marduk.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"